The Supremes

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

The Supremes

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Thought they needed their own thread, especially if lieu of current events.

Anyhoo, thought this was interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/us/p ... utors.html
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Supremes

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm
Thought they needed their own thread, especially if lieu of current events.

Anyhoo, thought this was interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/us/p ... utors.html
Almost as curious as Kennedy's son handling some 2 billion in loans to trump.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I screwed up a post about this earlier.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/ ... lity-loves

He's quite a guy

Kavanaugh's opinions include his assertion that net neutrality rules are "unlawful and must be vacated"

He's also big on warrantless searching of individuals, but I would guess that corporations would be exempt

"While Kavanaugh's past rulings as a federal appeals court judge demonstrate his concern for the rights of giant corporations, they also lay bare his apparent contempt for the privacy rights of Americans.

As Politico reported ahead of his nomination, Kavanaugh "has a history of embracing warrantless surveillance and rejecting Fourth Amendment challenges to it."

In a concurring opinion in 2015, Kavanaugh argued that the National Security Agency's warrentless metadata collection program—which was exposed by whistleblower Edward Snowden in 2013—is "consistent with the Fourth Amendment" "
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

The Emperor is bloviating!

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He better act fast; only five months to go.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

What else is she hiding?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:57 pm
What else is she hiding?

Damn, and here I thought that republicons always disclosed things that might look bad if hidden and then found out later.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

They are way past that now. Now they just lie when they're caught and then accuse their accuser of being guilty of what they've just been found guilty of. The "investigation of the investigators" now going on by that Durham guy is a prime example of this tactic; or more accurately, this strategy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:18 pm
The Emperor is bloviating!
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:49 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He better act fast; only five months to go.
It's YOUR fault. :x
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

:oops: Yeah, guess I walked into that one. Damn

GoCubsGo
Admiral

This would potentially be exciting on a balanced court. With this court, I'm nervous.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Well, here comes a couple of hotbed issues for 2022 and 2024.

Abortion and court size.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:25 am
See, she is a Republican. Gaslighting with impunity.

Amy Coney Barrett insists Supreme Court judges are not ‘partisan hacks’ in wake of Texas abortion ruling
TV pundit: One will soon have more rights with a gun than with a uterus.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

The Supremes have already become partisan hacks; in the past few years they've allowed private Christian fascists to infiltrate the public schools with programs that are presented as benign but serve to indoctrinate kids with Christian fundamentalist ideology. Kids in elementary school perceive anything they see at school as representative of authority and tend to adopt whatever it is. Danger.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:25 am
See, she is a Republican. Gaslighting with impunity.

Amy Coney Barrett insists Supreme Court judges are not ‘partisan hacks’ in wake of Texas abortion ruling
Now, I may be wrong on this, however I remember reading that the USSC decision on the Texas abortion outrage is not exactly the final word. It is still possible to challenge the law, all the way up to the Supreme Court, but that apparently will take some time, money, and guts.

I welcome any more info in this regard.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

The Supremes did not rule on the constitutionality of the ridiculous and clearly un-constitutional Texas law. Thus it didn't "overturn" anything. The route to a determination of constitutionality is for some abortion provider to get sued under the law - which is in process. Interestingly, no real anti-abortionist has jumped in to sue the doc, who has clearly and unequivocably admitted performing an abortion, because they seem to know that upon the first valid suit, the law will be ruled unconstitutional. What they Texas anti-abortionists are doing is trying to run out the clock until some other case (like the Mississippi one) will weaken Roe v. Wade and then maybe their law won't be so un-constitutional any more.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:03 pm
The Supremes did not rule on the constitutionality of the ridiculous and clearly un-constitutional Texas law. Thus it didn't "overturn" anything. The route to a determination of constitutionality is for some abortion provider to get sued under the law - which is in process. Interestingly, no real anti-abortionist has jumped in to sue the doc, who has clearly and unequivocably admitted performing an abortion, because they seem to know that upon the first valid suit, the law will be ruled unconstitutional. What they Texas anti-abortionists are doing is trying to run out the clock until some other case (like the Mississippi one) will weaken Roe v. Wade and then maybe their law won't be so un-constitutional any more.
Thanks for the information. I must have erred by referring to the USSC refusal to hear the case as a "decision". Legally speaking, I suppose, it wasn't a decision, but a declination. So there is hope this travesty will be undone.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:10 pm
Thanks for the information. I must have erred by referring to the USSC refusal to hear the case as a "decision". Legally speaking, I suppose, it wasn't a decision, but a declination. So there is hope this travesty will be undone.
Despite not being the final word on the TX law, the RepuQ Supreme Court’s inaction was still very bad and women and their healthcare providers are suffering daily because of it.

‘This Is Untenable’: Supreme Court Liberals Slam Decision On Texas Abortion Ban
The Texas law is “flagrantly,” “patently” and “obviously” unconstitutional, wrote Justices Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor in their dissents.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:33 am

Despite not being the final word on the TX law, the RepuQ Supreme Court’s inaction was still very bad and women and their healthcare providers are suffering daily because of it.

Well, there's that.