Uber getting desperate for drivers

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Uber getting desperate for drivers

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Is your future with Uber?

Should be an uber-easy job; look at the fun he's having!

bannination
Captain

Re: Uber getting desperate for drivers

Unread post by bannination »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:22 pm
Is your future with Uber?

Should be an uber-easy job; look at the fun he's having!
How long have you dressed like that?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

bannination wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:59 pm
Nttawwt.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

bannination wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"look at the fun he's having!"
You've not posted much lately, why did this stimulate your attention? :wtf: :lol:
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:09 pm
Nttawwt.
I wouldn't know. How do you know? :shock: :shock:

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:23 pm
bannination wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"look at the fun he's having!"
You've not posted much lately, why did this stimulate your attention? :wtf: :lol:

Mostly the click bait headline :mrgreen: I'm surprised uber isn't getting desperate for drivers. I've yet to understand after taking depreciation on their vehicles and general rate of pay plus risk of driving all day, how the drivers aren't making less than minimum wage.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:51 pm
Mostly the click bait headline :mrgreen: ...
There were another couple of posters that used to regularly post images of men in drag, nttawwt. What were there names again?
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:36 am
There were another couple of posters that used to regularly post images of men in drag, nttawwt. What were there names again?
Vrede and Colonel Taylor. Before Vrede too superceded Vrede. They had an ongoing relationship; they hated each other! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(the dude isn't dragging; he's running.)

Leo Lyons
Ensign

bannination wrote:
Mostly the click bait headline :mrgreen: I'm surprised uber isn't getting desperate for drivers. I've yet to understand after taking depreciation on their vehicles and general rate of pay plus risk of driving all day, how the drivers aren't making less than minimum wage.
Just having a little fun here. What with the troubles Uber is having, and Vrede's obsession with the word uber-this and that, I thought it was a bit humorous.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

bannination wrote:
I've yet to understand after taking depreciation on their vehicles and general rate of pay plus risk of driving all day, how the drivers aren't making less than minimum wage.
In some cases, they might make less, but so far Uber has gotten by with classifying them all as independent contractors, not employees. And they got at least one favorable federal ruling on it.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber ... SKBN1HJ31I

On the other hand, a Cali court has said they are employees under California law, regardless of what the feds say.

In any case, for now, the drivers are "running their own business" and not subject to minimum wage law. On the other hand, they can file Schedule C's, claim deductions for business expenses as well as losses, if any. Whether that would do any good for a person who really is losing money at Uber driving is probably doubtful, though.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

"...under California law, regardless of what the feds say."
Sounds typical. No small wonder that over half the state is in favor of secession.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 am
Sounds typical. No small wonder that over half the state is in favor of secession.
Well, actually, they aren't. And the move for division has also died. But of those who favor "Calexit", the majority is because they don't like what the US, and particularly Trump is doing. They certainly aren't generally mad that California has more strict labor laws than the Feds.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:19 am
Well, actually, they aren't. And the move for division has also died. But of those who favor "Calexit", the majority is because they don't like what the US, and particularly Trump is doing. They certainly aren't generally mad that California has more strict labor laws than the Feds.
Yeah, the campaign was dropped in the Spring of 2017.
https://ballotpedia.org/California_Inde ... %22_(2018)

The most recent poll I found was January 2017. Only 32% supported Calexit, and I wonder if some of them weren't being cantankerous but never would have voted for it once they saw the details.
... Just 44 percent of Democrats and 15 percent of Republicans said they would vote in favor of a succession. Overall, 68 percent of voters said they would not support a ballot measure calling for California’s independence from the U.S., while only 32 percent said they would....
If I was still a Californian I suspect I would have opposed it, but I would have kept an open mind. Leaving aside the pros and cons, Congress would never approve. So, why waste time, energy and legal fees?

Not this year, but there's still:
Cal 3

Cal 3 is a halted proposal to split the U.S. state of California into three states. It was launched in August 2017 by Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tim Draper, who led the effort to have it originally qualify on the November 2018 state ballot as Proposition 9 (officially the Division of California into Three States initiative) In July 2018, the Supreme Court of California pulled it from the ballot for further state constitutional review....
Congress would never approve of this, either. No way will the states want California to have 6 Senators, and no way will Congress accept 4 (if not 6) of them being Dem.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 am
Well, actually, they aren't. And the move for division has also died. But of those who favor "Calexit", the majority is because they don't like what the US, and particularly Trump is doing. They certainly aren't generally mad that California has more strict labor laws than the Feds
Admittedly, the drive did simmer down dramatically now that the novelty of the idea has fizzled, but I wasn't necessarily speaking specifically of labor laws even though yours and Banni's comments were labor related regarding Uber drivers.

My comment was directed at your "regardless of what the feds say", meaning that California lawmakers seem to have a superiority complex when it comes to what Federal law dictates. They certainly have some asinine laws on their books.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:37 pm
O Really wrote:

My comment was directed at your "regardless of what the feds say", meaning that California lawmakers seem to have a superiority complex when it comes to what Federal law dictates. They certainly have some asinine laws on their books.
Context, m'friend. Any state that has a law that is stricter in some way than the federal law can enforce that law "regardless of what the feds say." I could have phrased it better, but it's not unique to Cali. Lots of states have minimum wages higher than the federal, and that's what enforced in the state. Some states have Family Medical Leave Acts that provide greater benefit than the federal FMLA. California does a much better than average job of protecting workers' rights and has, in general, more strict labor laws as well as environmental law, for example.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:37 pm
O Really wrote:
Context, m'friend. Any state that has a law that is stricter in some way than the federal law can enforce that law "regardless of what the feds say." I could have phrased it better, but it's not unique to Cali. Lots of states have minimum wages higher than the federal, and that's what enforced in the state. Some states have Family Medical Leave Acts that provide greater benefit than the federal FMLA. California does a much better than average job of protecting workers' rights and has, in general, more strict labor laws as well as environmental law, for example.
Are you posting from a phone or laptop? :lol: This is twice I've been misquoted! (no problem, good for a laugh though.)

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Are you posting from a phone or laptop? :lol: This is twice I've been misquoted! (no problem, good for a laugh though.)
Sorry - sometimes I mis-select. Touchscreen. Big fingers.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:47 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:58 pm
Sorry - sometimes I mis-select. Touchscreen. Big fingers.
I thought this malfeasance might be the issue:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

This shows up every time I first log in. :-|| :?: