History thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

History thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_submarine_I-25

Seems they have been around since ww1, but I somehow missed subs launching aircraft.

"On 9 September, the crew again deployed the "Glen", which dropped two bombs over forest land near Brookings, Oregon. This attack by an enemy airplane was later called the "Lookout Air Raid", and was the only time that the continental United States was ever bombed by enemy aircraft during wartime."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: History thread

wow - what a short thread

This is cool. We find arrowheads and they find a ring belonging to the Sheriff of Nottingham.

https://www.upworthy.com/guy-with-a-met ... nottingham

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

That's one of the things I've always liked about my mum's side of the family - something "old" is really old. 1600's is recent history. But what a find that was!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I just finished reading "Code Girls; The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II" by LIza Mundy. A fascinating book about how the Army and Navy competed to hire linguists, math or astronomy majors, and other women from prestigious universities like Vassar, Bryn Mawr, and other lesser known schools. But these women were remarkably successful in cracking Japanese diplomatic and military codes as well as the German Enigma code. There were hundreds of them working at offices in DC and Virginia. It was a fascinating story about a little known aspect of that time in history.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:59 pm
I just finished reading "Code Girls; The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II" by LIza Mundy. A fascinating book about how the Army and Navy competed to hire linguists, math or astronomy majors, and other women from prestigious universities like Vassar, Bryn Mawr, and other lesser known schools. But these women were remarkably successful in cracking Japanese diplomatic and military codes as well as the German Enigma code. There were hundreds of them working at offices in DC and Virginia. It was a fascinating story about a little known aspect of that time in history.
I watched the Imitation Game last weekend. After the Turing character takes over at a similar Enigma code breaking group in England, he fires most of his former group and publishes a crossword puzzle offering work to anyone who can complete it within a certain amount of time.
Cumberbatch plays an obsessed eccentric socially inept gay genius at a time when it wasn't good to be gay. Good movie.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2084970/?ref_=m_nm_knf_i1

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:13 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:59 pm
I watched the Imitation Game last weekend. After the Turing character takes over at a similar Enigma code breaking group in England, he fires most of his former group and publishes a crossword puzzle offering work to anyone who can complete it within a certain amount of time.
Cumberbatch plays an obsessed eccentric socially inept gay genius at a time when it wasn't good to be gay. Good movie.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2084970/?ref_=m_nm_knf_i1
The British had been working on the Enigma code for a couple of years before the US got involved with it. The girls at the Navy Annex in DC and the girls at Arlington Hall in VA (the Army version of the Navy effort) soon surpassed the efforts of the British and they pretty much left it up to us to finish solving the code. The British efforts were done at Bletchely Park. One of the British guys named Turling (I think) was fired from the British project when it was discovered he was gay. He later committed suicide. Several of the American girls who worked on the code breaking efforts were also fired for getting pregnant. After the war, the operations at the Navy Annex and at Arlington Hall were consolidated into what is now the NSA.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:40 pm
wow - what a short thread

This is cool. We find arrowheads and they find a ring belonging to the Sheriff of Nottingham.

https://www.upworthy.com/guy-with-a-met ... nottingham
... Harrison sent the ring to the British Museum's Portable Antiquities Scheme to have it authenticated. After doing some research they found that it was once owned by Sir Matthew Jenison, who was the Sheriff of Nottingham between 1683 and 1684.

... Harrison said. “I hope it will go to someone who will appreciate its historical value.” It was sold at auction by Hansons Auctions for £8,500 ($11,115)....

Let’s hope that the man who sold the ring does what Robin Hood would have done with a piece of jewelry that adorned the hand of a nobleman whose family came into money by taking other people’s loot. Surely, he’d take the proceeds from the auction and give them to the poor.
Oooo, challenge made. We'll probably never know.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Archeologists discover historical artifacts during Notre Dame Cathedral restoration

Whole lotta lead...

Archeologists say they will soon open a human shaped lead sarcophagus found underneath the floor at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.

The announcement came around the three-year anniversary of a devastating fire that engulfed the more than 850-year-old national monument and shocked the world.

The day after the blaze, archeologists were called in to assist with the conservation and restoration of the cathedral as workers set to the task of rebuilding.

"The vaults crashed here during the fire and opened a hole into this 19th century heating network and underneath there is a series of layers which is very dense, interesting and fascinating," said French National Archeological Institute archeologist Christophe Besnier.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:34 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.