Kavanaugh, drunk, party boy and confirmed liar under oath for the SC

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: Kavanaugh, drunk, party boy and confirmed liar under oath for the SC

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 pm
the idiot thinks that having a Supreme Court Justice who has lied under oath during confirmation for his current office and has lied again under oath is a no biggie
BFD. You still haven't told me who in Washington is NOT a liar, or has NEVER lied.

but someone getting off on a drunk driving accident in the 60s is huge
You've forgotten that little adultery and murder thingy? Yes Murder. He was breaking the law when Mary Jo was killed in HIS car.
Of course, with a lib, that's no big deaL

everybody, or almost everybody, got off on drunk driving charges in the 60s
And murder too if you were a Democrat, wealthy, or a Kennedy. It happened.

Escambia County Florida allowed drinking while driving as late as the mid 80, maybe late, 80s.
Only when you were stopped at a stop sign. I heard. Lawmakers were probably Dems.

did he really criticize how money and fame talk while lovin on corporate bret?
:wtf: WTF are you babbling about?

it's a twisted lie that leo leads
:wtf: WTF are you babbling about again?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:23 pm
It was high school, not "college".
Whatever. They were still youngsters.

Being just 7 years older and having gone to high school a very few miles from Georgetown Prep, I 100% guarantee you that booze was not the only intoxicant at those parties. Of course, the author is a judge, expecting his personal "expose" to include admission of illegal activity is a stretch.
I agree with that.

Saying that "past voting records, court decisions, etc. don't mean crap" is crazy talk. Those are exactly the things we should be deciding on.
I'm just a crazy kind of guy, aren't I?

Of course replacing the last moderate-con, Kennedy, with a rightwing extremist is a SCOTUS take over.
Yeah sure. You're forgetting that there are also left-wing extremists in SCOTUS as well. A majority of con judges does not equate a takeover; neither will electing a con judge mean he's going to take over the SCOTUS. You really ought to stop reading right-wing extremist petitions; they're polluting your thought processes.

Why lie about what has been an admitted GOP goal for years?
LIE? Refuting an opinion is a lie?

LIE:
1. an intentionally false statement.
2. used with reference to a situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression. (as in your petition)
3. present a false impression; be deceptive. (as in your petition)

Dr. Christine Blasey Ford wrote her letter back in July. How it was handled after that is on Sen. Feinstein.
That's because "On July 9, 2018, President Donald Trump nominated Kavanaugh to become an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States to fill the vacancy created by the retirement of Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy". Dems began scrambling to find someone who they could pay to come forward with damaging "information". (my opinion) Feinstein sat on the letter until it became evident that Kavanaugh would, in all liklihood, win the nomination. As for now, all the letter did is stall the proceedings.

To her credit, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford took public responsibility for the letter quite rapidly after its existence was revealed.
Of course she did. Money talks, and she's got powerful support.

Brett Kavanaugh is accused of attempted rape, not "sexual improprieties". Why are you minimizing a very serious crime, LEO Leo?
Cute little play on an acronym! Either charge is serious, but a rape did not occur. In the eyes of a layman, fondling and trying to take her clothes off construes attempted rape; however, in a court of law, it's a different matter.

Dr. Christine Blasey Ford is a very credible witness (BA at UNC, O Really and k9nanny). Plus, she passed a polygraph test. Her accusation does merit reopening the FBI background check and a fair hearing.
Bullsh*t! You or I could pass a polygraph test. Agree with the check & hearing, though.

I don't have an opinion on whether Brett Kavanaugh is guilty of attempted rape. Since I do care about "past voting records, court decisions, etc." and can see that Kavanaugh is a planet raping, women and worker hating, imperial presidency supporting, ammosexual, lying corporate suck-up, and I already strongly opposed him, I haven't followed the attempted rape story as closely as others have. That said, it's a fact in bizarro America that things related to sex regularly bring down men in power when their other evil deeds should have long before.
I take it you don't like Kavanaugh? :o :o "Bizarro America" is exactly what made America what it is today. Think about it.

Selectively whining about it is disingenuous.
Yep. The news is full of the libs/Dems whining about the Repubs/cons, the Repubs/cons whining about the Dems/libs.
Your whining and my whining about it is disingenuous.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It's political hard-ball, and Republicans - who are way better at it than Dems - just hate when it happens to them. Sure Dems were looking hard for some dirt - and voila, they found some. The reason it's a really clever move isn't because it makes Kavenaugh account for something 30 years ago. It's to put the Republicans between the rock and hard place of saying (in the time of reduced tolerance for sexual harassment and assault), "oh, let's let it go...boys will be boys, just grabbing pussies" or crucifying their own hard right wing potential Justice. Election day is coming up fast, and even if Kavenaugh is confirmed, or maybe especially if he is, there will be a price at the ballot box for the Republicans who turned away.

Legend has it (may or may not be true or accurate), that LBJ once told his staff to put out a story that one of his congressional opponents had once been caught porking a pig. The staffer said "but that's not true" and LBJ replied, "of course it's not true - I just want to make the son of a bitch stand up and deny it." :lol:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:44 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 pm
the idiot thinks that having a Supreme Court Justice who has lied under oath during confirmation for his current office and has lied again under oath is a no biggie
BFD. You still haven't told me who in Washington is NOT a liar, or has NEVER lied.

but someone getting off on a drunk driving accident in the 60s is huge
You've forgotten that little adultery and murder thingy? Yes Murder. He was breaking the law when Mary Jo was killed in HIS car.
Of course, with a lib, that's no big deaL

everybody, or almost everybody, got off on drunk driving charges in the 60s
And murder too if you were a Democrat, wealthy, or a Kennedy. It happened.

Escambia County Florida allowed drinking while driving as late as the mid 80, maybe late, 80s.
Only when you were stopped at a stop sign. I heard. Lawmakers were probably Dems.

did he really criticize how money and fame talk while lovin on corporate bret?
:wtf: WTF are you babbling about?

it's a twisted lie that leo leads
:wtf: WTF are you babbling about again?

Same bullshit leo,

No it wasn't murder
Yes you could drink and drive in Escambia county (Pensacola) until Florida passed a state side law against it, sometime in the late 80a
and Escambia county politicians are republican
And you have proven that you can't see iron in your own twisting of facts.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Yes you could drink and drive in Escambia county (Pensacola) until Florida passed a state side law against it, sometime in the late 80a
and Escambia county politicians are republican
A lot of the ABC stores still have a drive-through window, but it's closed. Texas had a similar law until 80-something, basically you could drink and drive as long as you weren't drunk. And you hadn't been to New Orleans until you cruise through the daiquiri stand. And don't forget "give me one for my baby and one more for the road." Lyrics like that probably wouldn't be allowed now. (BTW, Leo - that was from "Frank Sinatra Sings Only for the Lonely" 1958). And accidents caused by drinking were still traffic accidents - not one of the deadly sins.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Getting caught lying under oath is quite rare for a potential SCOTUS justice. “Everyone in Washington’ does it is pretty lame.

This has been a ‘But, but Ted’ tangent?! Wow, that’s really sad. Some of us weren’t old enough to vote in 1970 and none of us were MA voters. When other Dems did get to vote on him in the 1980 primaries they rejected him. So, not only is the deflection wussy, but it falls apart as a stupid straw man on logical grounds.

In other words, “ :wtf: WTF (redundant) are you babbling about?”
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:56 pm
accidents caused by drinking were still traffic accidents - not one of the deadly sins.
Apparently killing someone in a drunken traffic accident is not one of the sins either. Especially if you're someone so important.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:36 pm
It's political hard-ball, and Republicans - who are way better at it than Dems - just hate when it happens to them. Sure Dems were looking hard for some dirt - and voila, they found some. The reason it's a really clever move isn't because it makes Kavenaugh account for something 30 years ago. It's to put the Republicans between the rock and hard place of saying (in the time of reduced tolerance for sexual harassment and assault), "oh, let's let it go...boys will be boys, just grabbing pussies" or crucifying their own hard right wing potential Justice. Election day is coming up fast, and even if Kavenaugh is confirmed, or maybe especially if he is, there will be a price at the ballot box for the Republicans who turned away.

Legend has it (may or may not be true or accurate), that LBJ once told his staff to put out a story that one of his congressional opponents had once been caught porking a pig. The staffer said "but that's not true" and LBJ replied, "of course it's not true - I just want to make the son of a bitch stand up and deny it." :lol:
Probably already a win-win for the Dems. If he's confirmed the GOP looks extreme, hateful and misogynist. If he's not confirmed the GOP looks extreme and incompetent, and there won't be any confirmation before the midterms and probably none before the new Congress in 2019. Either way, the Dems are advantaged in the midterms.
Opposition to Kavanaugh grows, support at historic low: Reuters/Ipsos poll

A growing number of Americans said they opposed President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, as the candidate’s confirmation hearings took place and as he fended off a sexual assault claim, a Reuters/Ipsos poll showed.

The Sept. 11-17 poll found that 36 percent of adults surveyed did not want Kavanaugh in the Supreme Court, up 6 points from a similar poll conducted a month earlier.

Only 31 percent of U.S. adults polled said they were in favor of Kavanaugh’s appointment.

If support for his nomination remains this weak, Trump’s pick would rank among the lowest-supported Supreme Court nominees to later be confirmed, according to historical data from Gallup....

Support for Kavanaugh was higher among Republicans, but fewer than two out of three, or 64 percent, said they were in favor of his nomination....
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 pm
O Really wrote:
accidents caused by drinking were still traffic accidents - not one of the deadly sins.
Apparently killing someone in a drunken traffic accident is not one of the sins either. Especially if you're someone so important.
Well, it's not a shining point of our justice system that money can buy a better defense, but that didn't start or end with Ted Kennedy.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:08 pm
Getting caught lying under oath is quite rare for a potential SCOTUS justice.
So when was he "caught" lying under oath? Let's look at a few comments, shall we?
From splinternews.com: https://splinternews.com/brett-kavanaug ... 1828912220
Headline: "Brett Kavanaugh Appears to Have Lied Repeatedly Under Oath and the GOP Doesn’t Care"

story text:
"Mother Jones and other news outlets identified at least five times Kavanaugh appeared to lie to Congress under oath this week and in past confirmation hearings."

"More than once this week, he testified in a way that appeared to directly contradict evidence in the record."

"In one of those cases, in which Kavanaugh appeared to have lied about his handling of confidential Democratic emails ...

"Other areas where Kavanaugh seems to have lied, according to Mother Jones, include his involvement in nominating the rabid anti-abortionist William Pryor..."

This is one news source, but what the hell, the statute of limitations on perjury at the federal level is 5 years, therefore, no one gives a damn about anything that happened prior to July, 2013; unless you're "running around screeching" scraping trash cans for dirt. Dems are playing knee-jerk; smearing someone comes natural to them.

“Everyone in Washington’ does it is pretty lame.
I didn't say “Everyone in Washington does it"; I said name someone who hasn't.

This has been a ‘But, but Ted’ tangent?! Wow, that’s really sad. Some of us weren’t old enough to vote in 1970 and none of us were MA voters. When other Dems did get to vote on him in the 1980 primaries they rejected him. So, not only is the deflection wussy, but it falls apart as a stupid straw man on logical grounds.
Of course it's stupid to point out a double standard. Point is, a high-powered pol with lots of money can get out of serious trouble with a wink and a nod, while another pol has their reputation run into the ground for "allegedly" lying, and "allegedly" fondling a girl while he was still a kid. The fact he was not re-elected has no bearing on the fact he was not prosecuted; being charged for a crime requires no vote.

In other words, “ :wtf: WTF (redundant) are you babbling about?”
So yes, :wtf: WTF (redundant) are YOU babbling about?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:40 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 pm
O Really wrote:
Well, it's not a shining point of our justice system that money can buy a better defense, but that didn't start or end with Ted Kennedy.
Correct. Ted Kennedy is one of the top shining examples of political hypocrisy. That's all. That's a crappy legacy to be remembered by.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:36 pm
Opposition to Kavanaugh grows, support at historic low: Reuters/Ipsos poll

A growing number of Americans said they opposed President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, as the candidate’s confirmation hearings took place and as he fended off a sexual assault claim, a Reuters/Ipsos poll showed.

The Sept. 11-17 poll found that 36 percent of adults surveyed did not want Kavanaugh in the Supreme Court, up 6 points from a similar poll conducted a month earlier.

Only 31 percent of U.S. adults polled said they were in favor of Kavanaugh’s appointment.
Oh hell! His ass is grass now!
"The Reuters/Ipsos poll surveyed 2,196 adults online across the United States and has a credibility interval, a measure of precision, of 2 percentage points." --- "36% of U.S. adults" --- "31% of adults :lol: :lol: I'm not even going to touch that one. :lol: :lol:

2,196 adults out of a population of 327.5 million (2017 count) (That sounds like the actual voting numbers that got Trumper in office!) :lol:
Anyway, 2,196 people are unhappy with Trumpers pick. That would be enough to discourage me, yessiree-bob!

O Really
Admiral

Ummm, Leo, you're entitled to your opinion, but sometimes it's better to learn about something before ridiculing it. Try googling "statistical sample" for example.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:24 pm
Ummm, Leo, you're entitled to your opinion, but sometimes it's better to learn about something before ridiculing it. Try googling "statistical sample" for example.
I know what it is; I'm being facetious.
I find it humorous that out of 327.5 million people, 2,196 people were polled, but the statement says "31 percent of U.S. adults "
Were you polled? Anyone here polled? (truthfully, now) If you weren't, you're a nobody, because you're not holding up your 31% showing! :lol:

O Really
Admiral

Well, Leo, when you open the milk carton and it smells spoiled, go ahead and have a sip. If it tastes awful, keep thinking "but that's just a small sip, maybe the rest is good." Then have another big gulp. If it still tastes bad, who knows - maybe that's all the bad. Then keep going until you've drunk it all just to make sure that first sample was accurate.

Yeah, I know, the analogy is a little off, but not much. The entire key is selection of the sample. If it's done right, then a 2,500 sample is good for most anything. If the sample is selected poorly, then not so much. The better polling companies do a pretty good job or they don't stay in business.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:20 pm
Well, Leo, when you open the milk carton and it smells spoiled, go ahead and have a sip. If it tastes awful, keep thinking "but that's just a small sip, maybe the rest is good." Then have another big gulp. If it still tastes bad, who knows - maybe that's all the bad. Then keep going until you've drunk it all just to make sure that first sample was accurate.
You just reminded me of the days as a kid when we would visit Grandma. <sniff> She used to prepare the most scrumptious breakfast, and always had a big bowl of gravy to pour over our biscuits. I used to tell her "that was the awfullest gravy I ever put in my mouth." She'd say, "you didn't like it?" I'd say, "heck no Grandma; I had to eat three helpings to see which tasted the worst!"

Yeah, I know, the analogy is a little off, but not much. The entire key is selection of the sample. If it's done right, then a 2,500 sample is good for most anything. If the sample is selected poorly, then not so much. The better polling companies do a pretty good job or they don't stay in business.
I catch your drift, but it still sounds funny.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Kavanaugh floats virginity defense amid sexual assault allegations

I think it's hilarious that Kavanaugh thinks his bizarre claim to uber-late virginity will make us think that he's less likely to have been a sexual assaulting creep.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:13 pm

I think it's hilarious that Kavanaugh thinks his bizarre claim to uber-late virginity will make us think that he's less likely to have been a sexual assaulting creep.
"I was unsuccessful in my assaults, so therefore I'm totally innocent"
OK, fair enough. Let's apply that to bank robberies, car theft, embezzlement... :lol:

O Really
Admiral

It just sunk in - he's Catholic. The same people who had the priests will be priests attitude for centuries. What happens in Church stays in Church. Sweep it under.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Kavanaugh took a ride in an Uber, but didn't put out? I didn't know Uber's were around then. The things you learn here. :roll: :roll: