Kavanaugh, drunk, party boy and confirmed liar under oath for the SC

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Kavanaugh, drunk, party boy and confirmed liar under oath for the SC

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Susan Collins is a senile idiot.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:46 pm
Protests tomorrow, so far:
https://act.weareultraviolet.org/event/ ... s&rd=1&t=2
Leo Lyons wrote: "Any bets on whether the streets will erupt in protests and mayhem should Kavanugh be nominated?"
Your link and the map shows there WILL BE protests; just as I predicted.

My guess: No violence at all and Leo Lyons is just being a Henny Penny.
Your 'tomorrow' isn't here yet. I hope I am a Henny Penny.

Women's, civil liberties and green groups rarely get violent and I'm unaware of violence over any SCOTUS pick, ever.
This is the protest groups of today; the entitled, the undisciplined, mostly un-learned, the "I'll go if you will crowd" etc.
The Women's, civil liberties and green groups of your childhood were more organized; unlike the wildly screaming rat-packs we've experienced the last few years.

"Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court threatens to roll back women's rights, voting rights, LGBTQ rights, and more."
That is just so much knee-jerk, lying bullshit. "And more" is the key to the bullshit factor.
You know as well as anybody that Kavanaugh has no more power to overturn those rulings than you or I, because his confirmation does not give him absolute control of the SCOTUS nor authority to over-rule ANY previous court decisions.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31&p=87747&hilit=Collins#p87747
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:07 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:24 am
She's 65 and not up for reelection until 2020. Plenty of time to rehab her moderate image if she thinks she needs to and if she even wants another term. :(
O Really wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:31 am
Maybe not so much... here's the best of the articles
For Susan Collins, A Vote For Kavanaugh Would Be Political Suicide
https://www.yahoo.com/news/susan-collin ... 55031.html
Not sure who Ady Barkan is, but this is smart. Raise money now while people are paying attention.

Either Sen. Collins VOTES NO on Kavanaugh OR we fund her future opponent

$850,005
From 30,343 pledges
Susan Collins Triggers $2 Million In Pledges To 2020 Opponent With Kavanaugh Vote (article)

Either Sen. Collins VOTES NO on Kavanaugh OR we fund her future opponent (Crowdpac website)

$2,215,434
From 77,046 pledges on Crowdpac
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Now:
$2,850,524
From 98,016 pledges on Crowdpac

Of course, it's all monetized anger now, not incentive. No one changes their vote after a 45 minute speech taking a rotten stand.
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:46 pm
Protests tomorrow, so far:
https://act.weareultraviolet.org/event/ ... s&rd=1&t=2

My guess: No violence at all and Leo Lyons is just being a Henny Penny. Women's, civil liberties and green groups rarely get violent and I'm unaware of violence over any SCOTUS pick, ever.
Many more added since I first posted, including Raleigh. Still no discussion of "mayhem". That's just wussy con wingnuttery when the central issue is sexual violence.

Petition to the U.S. House of Representatives:

"Brett Kavanaugh faces credible accusations of sexual assault and perjury and should be impeached, not promoted. Initiate impeachment proceedings to remove him from the federal bench."
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Playground-level Bully wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:51 pm
Still no discussion of "mayhem". That's just wussy con wingnuttery when the central issue is sexual violence.
How frequently do protest groups publicly promise "mayhem" at a protest? Your comment is just wussy wingnuttery.

"Brett Kavanaugh faces credible accusations of sexual assault and perjury and should be impeached, not promoted. Initiate impeachment proceedings to remove him from the federal bench."
Credible but unproven accusations of sexual assault. They overlook the perjury accusation; that's an everyday Washington routine.

Oh yeah, tell us that joke again :lol: how this one man is single-handedly going to overturn previous SCOTUS rulings :lol: that have been in place for years. :lol: I meant to copy it and so I can tell it at our next beerfest. Thanks, I appreciate it.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Kavenaugh doesn't get to "single-handedly" get to select the cases the Court accepts. But previously, there were fairly predictable positions that were taken by the "conservative" Justices and the "liberal" Justices, with one or more (from time to time) "swing" votes - moderates who may take different positions on different issues, depending on the facts and circumstances. Add the ultra-right Kavenaugh and there is no more middle. If and when cases near and dear to the right come up, that side of the court can pillage as it sees fit. So yeah, he can be a one-person wrecking ball.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:25 am
Kavenaugh doesn't get to "single-handedly" get to select the cases the Court accepts.
I didn't say 'select'; I said how is he going to 'change' what has already been decided on.

But previously, there were fairly predictable positions that were taken by the "conservative" Justices and the "liberal" Justices, with one or more (from time to time) "swing" votes - moderates who may take different positions on different issues, depending on the facts and circumstances. Add the ultra-right Kavenaugh and there is no more middle. If and when cases near and dear to the right come up, that side of the court can pillage as it sees fit. So yeah, he can be a one-person wrecking ball.
So how much is an ultra-right judge differing from an ultra-left judge? We don't know what future cases will unfold; the consensus with the screeching liberals, fueled by false Internet information and personal media posts, is that Kavanaugh will wreck what's already in place. That's the point I find so laughable!

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:37 am
... Kavanaugh will wreck what's already in place. That's the point I find so laughable![/color]
[/quote]

[sigh] I have suggested from time to time that it's a good idea to learn something about a topic before ridiculing it or finding it "laughable."
While precedent is important in judicial decisions, it is certainly possible, and not that rare, to overturn.

F'rinstance...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... _decisions

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Roe v Wade Will Be Overturned Once Brett Kavanaugh Is On The Supreme Court, Legal Analyst Predicts

Roe v. Wade overturned,” Toobin predicted. “What you will see is states ban abortion. Mississippi has talked about it, South Dakota has talked about it. A lot of people say they will limit but are not going to eliminate Roe v. Wade, but if you have a state that outlaws abortion as we are almost certainly going to do in the next few years, the court will have to either have to uphold Roe v. Wade or overturn Roe v. Wade.”

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Good god. Same old knee-jerk Henny-Penny (thanks Vrede!) bullshit that's nothing more than fodder to fuel the frothing heathen masses!

"... Maine Senator Susan Collins is a pro-choice Republican and said in a speech on Friday that she believed Kavanaugh would not overturn Roe v. Wade. Collins added that Kavanaugh gave her a personal assurance that Roe v. Wade was considered settled law and would not be on the docket for reversal."

Funny. Kavanaugh is accused of changing laws and (at this writing) isn't seated yet.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:27 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:37 am
... Kavanaugh will wreck what's already in place. That's the point I find so laughable!
[sigh] I have suggested from time to time that it's a good idea to learn something about a topic before ridiculing it or finding it "laughable."
While precedent is important in judicial decisions, it is certainly possible, and not that rare, to overturn.
Yes, I'm aware court decisions can be overturned. That's why we have a SCOTUS.

I've stated several times my position on whether Kavanaugh is confirmed or not, and why I'm defending (for lack of a better word) his confirmation.
While your comment and link is a good choice for the topic, my comment about 'laughable' is directed at the "Kavanaugh will wreck what's already in place" comment. There's no "he probably will wreck what's already in place", rather it's a done deal and he's not even been seated! This means that he alone will be responsible for destruction of "settled laws" already in place; never mind there are other justices seated on the SCOTUS who also have a say in contested proceedings. Like the assault allegation, he's guilty by popular (and knee-jerk) opinion only.

If he's not confirmed, no sweat off my back, if he is confirmed, still no sweat. It is what it is.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:14 pm
Either Sen. Collins VOTES NO on Kavanaugh OR we fund her future opponent (Crowdpac website)

$2,215,434
From 77,046 pledges on Crowdpac
As the voting begins:

$3,206,301
From 109,467 pledges on Crowdpac
$29 average per donor.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Collins gazed deeply into Kavanaugh's eyes and saw his soul.......he'd never lie!!

Yeah, right.

O Really
Admiral

I've spent enough time in Maine this summer to get a good local view of "our" Senator.
Collins has held on to her Republican seat in a largely lefterly leaning state (at least in the populated areas) by being socially moderate. But she has no problem presenting one face to the constituents and then licking McConnell's wrinkled fat ass. Her vote for the tax cut was supposedly in exchange for support for healthcare issues - absolutely none of which happened. Probably knew nothing would happen, but saying she was "promised" something let her hide when she's back in Portland.

I also think McConnell told her that if she didn't vote for McConnell she'd lose all her committee positions and might as well just sit in a corner for the rest of her term.

I guess it's too much to ask that she have balls, but at least a spine would be nice.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"may"? Hoping for Roberts is like hoping for POSPOTUS to be honest.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:54 pm
"may"? Hoping for Roberts is like hoping for POSPOTUS to be honest.
Not according to Collins, she looked into Kavanaugh's eyes and saw,his soul.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Breaking News!
This just in from Washington sources:
Although no definite time table has been set, numerous Supreme Court cases are scheduled to be overturned by Friday 12 October, 2018 by His Supreme Honorable Superior Justice, Brett Kavanaugh. Following is a brief listing of some previous rulings scheduled for change:

•Roe V Wade is to be overturned
•ALL restrictions that limit the exploration of gas and oil on any Federal Lands or coastal waters will be rescinded
•The Endangered Species Act will be abolished
•Bibles will be permitted back in classrooms as part of the teaching curriculum, open prayer will be permitted.
•All religions not classified as a Christian religion will be banned
•Christian monuments and/or statues previously removed from public or government property will be restored
•Civil War monuments and statues previously removed from public or government property will be restored
•LGBTQ individuals or groups will no longer be recognized or afforded the same rights as normal people

All of you said it would happen; I should have known not to argue :lol: :lol:

O Really
Admiral

What's sad is that you think that's a joke based on exaggeration. Pretty much every item on that list is a real and expressed goal of the Trump administration. I don't think most of them will really occur, because most would be found unconstitutional by any Supreme Court of the last hundred years or so. But add Kavenaugh to the current mix and some of them could sneak through - at least in narrow rulings on specific cases.