Nuclear weapons

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Nuclear weapons

Unread post by rstrong »

Agreed. Have you seen what happens when one of those things rolls off a desk?

Supsalemgr
Major

Unread post by Supsalemgr »

Isn't that nice? Now share with us where North Korea and Iran have signed on.

Supsalemgr
Major

Vrede has the option of thinking North Korea and Iran are not potential nuclear threats. I choose not to think that way.

Supsalemgr
Major

As I have posted previously, Vrede is entitled to his own opinion as wrong as I see it. Just one thought about Vrede's opinion. It has no room for error.

Reality
Wing commander

Unread post by Reality »

Hey Vred, know what PRP means? Don't think you qualify.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Supsalemgr wrote:I choose not to think
So it's willful ignorance, not involuntary ignorance.

Supsalemgr
Major

Stinger wrote:
Is Stinger auditioning to become a member of the MSM by editing and taking my post out of context? Thanks for showing you are one sorry person for not respecting one's post. Vrede has a competitor for "chief editor" of others' posts.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Supsalemgr wrote:
Stinger wrote:
Is Stinger auditioning to become a member of the MSM by editing and taking my post out of context? Thanks for showing you are one sorry person for not respecting one's post. Vrede has a competitor for "chief editor" of others' posts.

no different than what your heroes at faux do - and you love it

you didn't build that - out of context from obama

I saw American soldiers commit atrocities - out of context Kerry quote
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Supsalemgr
Major

Interesting that fish head did not accuse me of editing as he knows I do not do it. His post acknowledges that he does and then tries to divert to what the FNC does in his opinion.

Thank you for confirmimg the message in my previous post.

Supsalemgr
Major

Who pulled Vrede's chain in this debate about Stinger editing others' posts?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede wrote:
Supsalemgr wrote:Vrede has the option of thinking North Korea and Iran are not potential nuclear threats. I choose not to think that way.
Supsalemgr has a vivid imagination, he repeatedly chooses to use it while ducking questions and in lieu of addressing what's actually been posted.

North Korea has maybe a couple of nukes, Iran zero. We have over 5000 when 50 would be sufficient to counter North Korea and Iran long into the future, if not with our overwhelming conventional forces. Plus, neither has a delivery system currently capable of threatening us. Our 5000 did nothing to deter North Korea, and has done nothing to deter Iran if the as yet unproven fears bear out.

Throw away our money, that's the Supsalemgr Rx.
When I was in the navy, one of the ships I was on was part of the USS Midway task group (a naval force consisting of an aircraft carrier, a couple of submarines, and half a dozen or so surface combatant ships). More than once, the Midway lost a plane just by allowing it to roll off the deck. If I remember correctly, one of these incidents involved a fighter jet that had a nuclear armed missile attached to it. I think they eventually recovered the missile but it took a lot of effort and time. Even then, the Midway was the oldest carrier in the navy...CV-43. And each time it would leave or enter port (Yokosuka, Japan) the locals would protest and carry large hand painted banners protesting nuclear weapons. Midway was also involved in the evacuation of South Vietnam; if you've ever seen those films of navy guys pushing helicopters over the side of an aircraft carrier or films of helicopters crash landing in the sea near the carrier, that was the Midway.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Opps! I saw that story tonight on ABC. Pretty sobering. It would seem they take their responsibility casually at best. I wonder what they're like on a weekend off. Possibly loaded up on bath salts and fake meth. That stuff will make you crazy.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede wrote:I'd think that being a land-based missile officer - the most wasteful, useless, boring, pointless, pork barrel, potentially genocidal, anti-American, agonizingly monotonous, taxpayer defrauding, millennia polluting, barbaric job in the entire US military - would do that even without drugs.
I think I'd read a lot of books and keep asking for another assignment, and if that didn't work, I'd resort to drugs.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Mine was here... http://www2.lib.unc.edu/mss/exhibits/pr ... log73.html Enlarge the pic and you can find me about 4 rows back.
Although it wasn't a "real" arrest. More of just being run in and harassed. Got run in and harassed for a street sit-in blocking, and for mooning the Dean of Women. No terrorist record to keep me from getting a security clearance later.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:Mine was here... http://www2.lib.unc.edu/mss/exhibits/pr ... log73.html Enlarge the pic and you can find me about 4 rows back.
Although it wasn't a "real" arrest. More of just being run in and harassed. Got run in and harassed for a street sit-in blocking, and for mooning the Dean of Women. No terrorist record to keep me from getting a security clearance later.
Are you the guy with the hair, wearing the shirt?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Toward the right side, beard, hand on chin.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:Toward the right side, beard, hand on chin.
Salute! Beard brothers unite!

O Really
Admiral

Beards weren't that popular back then except the mandatory exam growth. I had started that one at the end of the fall semester and decided since most everybody thought it was freaky, that I'd keep it a while. Shaved it when Spring arrived. Went from sometime in early '66 to late '67 without a haircut, though.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:Beards weren't that popular back then except the mandatory exam growth. I had started that one at the end of the fall semester and decided since most everybody thought it was freaky, that I'd keep it a while. Shaved it when Spring arrived. Went from sometime in early '66 to late '67 without a haircut, though.
I'm going to rock the long hair until it's almost gone off the top of my head, even then I might just comb it over or something, who knows. Maybe I'll rock the old bald man pony-tail for good luck. My woman won't let me chop it off anyway and she's the one who cuts my hair.

Growing a beard was one of the best decisions of my life. Let me explain:

1) Cost-Efficiency. Prior to owning a beard I would have to shave at least every other day, causing me to spend lots of money on shaving cream and stuff. With a beard I don't use as much shaving cream and can use the same razor lots more.
2) Time-Efficiency. Prior to owning a beard I would have to shave at least every other day to prevent myself from looking homeless. Normally I wouldn't care because my wardrobe isn't very immaculate anyway, but unfortunately I have to work. And my work is in an office not in a forest with lumberjacks. With a beard I can sculpt it so it looks ok and only have to shave once a week since the awesomeness inherit in a beard distracts focus from the growth around the not-beard areas of the face to the bearded locations. Time is thus saved. Less time devoted to work (shaving, showering) can be devoted to JTA free-time fundamentals.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, my current style is close-cut 'stache and goatee, with facial scruff. Shave about once a week.