Tennessee Receding

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Tennessee Receding

Unread post by neoplacebo »

There's quite a big backlash over Ballad Health's plan to eliminate two of the three Level 1 trauma facilities here in the Tri Cities. The plan is to only have a Level 1 facility in Johnson City, so Kingsport and Bristol lose out (those facilities will become Level 3). Where I sit, the existing Level 1 facility is about 3 miles away (Holston Valley, which has been here for more than 70 years or so ; I had a hernia operation there as an infant, and my daughter was born there in 83. Anyway, I don't see how this current plan aligns with the COPA Ballad filed to get approval to merge with some of these other facilities a couple of years ago. I guess a Certificate of Public Advantage depends on who you consider to be the "public." I think I saw John Q. Public just the other day.....he looked like he was pissed.
Last edited by neoplacebo on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Tennessee Receding

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:18 am
There's quite a big backlash over Ballad Health's plan to eliminate two of the three Level 1 trauma facilities here in the Tri Cities. The plan is to only have a Level 1 facility in Johnson City, so Kingsport and Bristol lose out (those facilities will become Level 3). Where I sit, the existing Level 1 facility is about 3 miles away (Holston Valley, which has been here for more than 70 years or so ; I had a hernia operation there as an infant, and my daughter was born there in 83. Anyway, I don't see how this current plan aligns with the COPA Ballad filed to get approval to merge with some of these other facilities a couple of years ago. I guess a Certificate of Public Advantage depends on who you consider to be the "public." I think I saw John Q. Public just the other day.....he looked like he was pissed.
I worked at a Level 2. Back then the only reason it wasn't a Level 1 was because it didn't have a neurosurgeon in-house 24/7. For most trauma patients, even neuro ones, this didn't matter.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Thanks. I don't know the specifics about any of this but it has a lot of folks up here not liking it.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

There are a lot of hospital changes/buyouts, yada all over in places we've been this year, and so far I haven't found any consumers who are happy about any of it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

In general, we have too many repetitious healthcare resources in a lot of places. This has been driven more by individual facilities' desire for revenue than about public need as determined by comparative healthcare outcomes. I have no idea to what degree if any this really applies to your local situation, but I'm sure that you've seen that it's been part of the debate.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.