Evil Obamacare

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Evil Obamacare

Unread post by Vrede too »

Southerners More Likely to Be Saddled with Medical Debt, Study Shows (article)

... According to the report, of the top 10 states with medical debt, eight are located in the South: Mississippi, Arkansas, West Virginia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Alabama, and Georgia.

The remaining two top 10 states are in the Midwest: Indiana and Missouri.

Conversely, the states found to have the lowest prevalence of past-due debts were spread out geographically. That list includes three Northeast states (Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York); one in the Midwest (Minnesota); four in the West (California, Utah, Nevada, Hawaii); and then there's D.C. and Maryland, which most people would refer to as Mid-Atlantic, but which are technically in the South census region....
Past Due Medical Debt among Nonelderly Adults, 2012–15 (study)

Worst: all red states except for purple WV.
Best: all blue states except for red UT.
Of course.

SC - 5th worst.
NC - 11th worst.
FL - 12th worst.
TN - 14th worst.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Let me get this straight. The poor and the working poor have to pay regular, high priced premiums in order to get a tax credit.
One of those tweets claimed that subsidy=tax credit. Are people really so stupid? (That's a rhetorical question.)

So let me have a health insurance credit instead of a deduction. An $11,000 credit would take most of the pain out of those quarterly estimated tax payments.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Those tax credits - "Health Savings Accounts" - already exist under the current system.
Third, we’re talking a major tax shelter here, as HSAs shelter savings, accruals and even withdrawals (when spent on medical costs). That’s why 70 percent of the total value of HSA contributions comes from households with incomes above $100,000.
[...]
But that won’t provide much help to low- and moderate-income people. The vast majority of those uninsured before the ACA were in the 0, 10 or 15 percent tax bracket, meaning that at best, they’d get a tax benefit from HSA contributions that amounted to 15 cents on the dollar. Their lack of tax liability would translate into a loss of coverage.
Just a reminder:

In addition to those who simply make low wages, Mitt Romney's 47% of Americans in the 0% tax bracket includes retirees who have paid taxes all their lives. Children. The disabled. Students and recent graduates who are not paying taxes yet. Etc. None of whom will get those HSA tax credits.

They still pay state, county, city, sales, gas, social security, medicare/medicaid, property tax and excise tax on cigarettes and alcohol. Those in the low wage category also pay payroll taxes. But the HSA tax shelter won't apply to any of those.

This is another Republican wealth redistribution scheme. Drive costs up for the poor and middle class, and down for the rich.

Hope This Helps!

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Texas Rep. Pete Session's ACA replacement, H.R.1275, is called World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017

Someone give him a lollipop and a pat on the head.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

rstrong wrote:Those tax credits - "Health Savings Accounts" - already exist under the current system.
Third, we’re talking a major tax shelter here, as HSAs shelter savings, accruals and even withdrawals (when spent on medical costs). That’s why 70 percent of the total value of HSA contributions comes from households with incomes above $100,000.
[...]
But that won’t provide much help to low- and moderate-income people. The vast majority of those uninsured before the ACA were in the 0, 10 or 15 percent tax bracket, meaning that at best, they’d get a tax benefit from HSA contributions that amounted to 15 cents on the dollar. Their lack of tax liability would translate into a loss of coverage.
Just a reminder:

In addition to those who simply make low wages, Mitt Romney's 47% of Americans in the 0% tax bracket includes retirees who have paid taxes all their lives. Children. The disabled. Students and recent graduates who are not paying taxes yet. Etc. None of whom will get those HSA tax credits.

They still pay state, county, city, sales, gas, social security, medicare/medicaid, property tax and excise tax on cigarettes and alcohol. Those in the low wage category also pay payroll taxes. But the HSA tax shelter won't apply to any of those.

This is another Republican wealth redistribution scheme. Drive costs up for the poor and middle class, and down for the rich.

Hope This Helps!
Interesting. That means we spend/save on top of our premiums.
That might work for me. My insurance is a straight up 80/20 with a $400 deductible. My premium is $52.07, and has stayed there since 1992.

The hubs entered Blue Cross ten years ago with a premium of $250. Today it is $890, and actually dropped $10 this year. (Whoopee.)

Yep- those Republicans have it all figured out.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

k9nanny wrote: "Yep- those Republicans have it all figured out."
Gee, I hope my premiums don't go up. Mine's outrageous as it is. I pay $0 (supplemental)... wife pays $30.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:Texas Rep. Pete Session's ACA replacement, H.R.1275, is called World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017

Someone give him a lollipop and a pat on the head.
There's a Chinese take out place in my hometown called "No. 1 Chinese Food". It's the number one Chinese restaurant much like HR 1275 is the greatest healthcare plan of 2017.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

BRD is the World's Greatest Web Forum of 2017.

Take that, CPF.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

As the ICBMs come raining down upon major cities throughout the US and the world, blasting our enemies as well as humanity deep into the stone age for the rest of our species miserable existence, the GOP proudly declares

"We've won bigly!"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Ah, back to the good old days.
On October 15, 2006, it was announced that Dr. McGuire would step down immediately as chairman and director of UnitedHealth Group, and step down as CEO on December 1, 2006, due to his involvement in the employee stock options scandal. Simultaneously, it was announced that he would be replaced as CEO by Stephen Hemsley, who has served as President and COO and is a member of the board of directors. McGuire's exit compensation from UnitedHealth, expected to be around $1.1 billion, would be the largest golden parachute in the history of corporate America.
Just one exec. $1.1 billion over and above his regular salary. Not for a job well done, but for resigning in disgrace.

Happy Days Are Here Again.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

The unintended consequence of those idiots calling the new healthcare bill the "World's greatest" is if it fails, and it probably will based on everyone hating it, it'll be that much more hilarious.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:The unintended consequence of those idiots calling the new healthcare bill the "World's greatest" is if it fails, and it probably will based on everyone hating it, it'll be that much more hilarious.
Keep in mind that as before, there are probably several such bills. Paul Ryan's is probably a different one.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
JTA wrote:The unintended consequence of those idiots calling the new healthcare bill the "World's greatest" is if it fails, and it probably will based on everyone hating it, it'll be that much more hilarious.
Keep in mind that as before, there are probably several such bills. Paul Ryan's is probably a different one.
Revision 1: "World's Greatest Healthcare Bill of 2017"\
Revision 2: "World's Galaxy's Greatest Healthcare Bill of 2017"
Revision 3: "World's Galaxy's Universe's Greatest Healthcare Bill of 2017"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Revision 4: "World's Galaxy's MultiUniverse's Greatest Healthcare Bill of 2017"
Last edited by Vrede too on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Revision 5: "World's Galaxy's Multi Universal e's Greatest Healthcare Bill of 2017"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The GOP don't do "Universal Healthcare", silly RINO.

Revision 6: "World's Galaxy's MultiUniverse's Greatest Healthcare Bill of 2017 Eternity"
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Paul Ryan's presentation is getting weird
Paul Ryan's healthcare TED Talk really went off the rails.
It was awfully nice of @SpeakerRyan to walk us through his health care plan today. Much easier to understand now!
This Paul Ryan talk seems to at least be honest. Good for him.
the GOP replacement plan is actually pretty simple
These Paul Ryan PowerPoint are getting out of hand. #RIPBIG
Rep. Keith Ellison‏ Verified account
@keithellison

Caught the tail end of @SpeakerRyan’s powerpoint presentation, and I have to say, I’m a little concerned.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thank you for contacting my office with your opposition to the American Health Care Act (AHCA). It’s an honor to serve as your Congressman and I appreciate you letting me know your views.

I believe that a full repeal of Obamacare will make healthcare better and more affordable for North Carolinians of all ages. Furthermore, I have long advocated that Congress vote on a replacement plan within the same week as passing repeal so that we can protect the most vulnerable Americans and avoid uncertainty about what comes next. Any replacement proposal we pass should be one that actually meets the needs of everyday Americans by reducing costs, expanding free-market choice, and increasing coverage. That said, I cannot support the AHCA in its current form as I do not believe the AHCA accomplishes these goals.

I look forward to working with the White House and my colleagues in Congress to produce a replacement bill that makes real changes, establishing needed choice and competition in the healthcare market for current and future generations. After years of burdensome mandates and skyrocketing premiums under Obamacare, the American people deserve effective plans with long-term stability. This is a responsibility I don’t take lightly, and I appreciate having your input on this ongoing process....

Sincerely,
Mark Meadows (R-NC)
Member of Congress
So says the chair of the House Freedom Caucus. Between the congressional RWNJs, Dems with a spine, erratic Trump's contradictory promises, the realities of healthcare and the GOP governors raising a ruckus, I'd guess that the AHCA is DOA.
1312. ETTD.