Evil Obamacare

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Evil Obamacare

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:I think he was referring to the current "Obamacare," which of course is no longer a bill, but he was saying Obamacare isn't theirs and "the Democrats own it." Still stupid ...
Does he really think that we won't know that he and extremist HHS secretary Tom Price are administering it?
How Republicans can hobble Obamacare even without repeal
Doing most of that sort of damage administratively will still be something the repugs and/or the trumphole will have to do with full knowledge and malice aforethought so, hopefully, it can still be hung around their necks if we keep the heat on.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

It'll be an ongoing debate and source of obfuscation - which flaws are inherent to Obamacare and which are the result of Trump/GOP sabotage? Clearly, improvements to Obamacare, which it does need, aren't even on the table. :(
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Just to show how proper insurance makes a difference:
Canadians living with cystic fibrosis lived on average 10 years longer than Americans with the same disease, in part because of the very different healthcare systems in the two countries, the study found.
[...]
US patients with private insurance had a similar life expectancy as their Canadian counterparts, whereas Canadians had a 44% lower death rate than Americans on Medicaid. The uninsured fared the worst - Canadians had a 77% lower death rate than Americans who had no insurance at all.
[...]
"In Canada, I make clinical decisions. I look at their case and I decide whether or not they would benefit from meeting with me. There, the decision is driven by their insurance," she says.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:Just to show how proper insurance makes a difference:
Canadians living with cystic fibrosis lived on average 10 years longer than Americans with the same disease, in part because of the very different healthcare systems in the two countries, the study found.
[...]
US patients with private insurance had a similar life expectancy as their Canadian counterparts, whereas Canadians had a 44% lower death rate than Americans on Medicaid. The uninsured fared the worst - Canadians had a 77% lower death rate than Americans who had no insurance at all.
[...]
"In Canada, I make clinical decisions. I look at their case and I decide whether or not they would benefit from meeting with me. There, the decision is driven by their insurance," she says.
Now, that kinda shit's jus un-Murkan!
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Boatrocker wrote:Now, that kinda shit's jus un-Murkan!
Those who can afford to pay, get proper healthcare. Sounds pretty 'Murkan to me.

Or to be more accurate, given that Americans pay more TAXES per capita for healthcare than Canadians, "Those who can afford to pay a second time get proper healthcare."

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:Now, that kinda shit's jus un-Murkan!
Those who can afford to pay, get proper healthcare. Sounds pretty 'Murkan to me.

Or to be more accurate, given that Americans pay more TAXES per capita for healthcare than Canadians, "Those who can afford to pay a second time get proper healthcare."
Fuggin commie canucks . . . .
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Stand with Sen. Sanders: We need Medicare for All.

Petition to Congress:

"The problems with American health care are caused by predatory insurance companies and monopolies, not the Affordable Care Act. It's time to expand the most popular and efficient health care program in the country by passing legislation to provide Medicare to all Americans."
1312. ETTD.

BMW/M
Red Shirt

Unread post by BMW/M »

So much winning...

House Republicans floundering on Obamacare repeal

Nearly 20 Republicans have announced their opposition, leaving virtually no room for error.

House Republicans and the White House kicked off the week thinking they’d finally pass their Obamacare repeal bill. By Tuesday morning, their legislation was once again on life support.

Key GOP leadership allies are dropping their support, sending Speaker Paul Ryan and his team, as well as the Trump administration, into full-fledged damage-control mode. In one sign of the their desperation, leaders agreed to consider additional changes to win more support, after telling rank-and-file members all week they were finished tweaking the bill.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/0 ... tes-237871

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

So, I did quit my job. I'm old enough to call myself retired, but will get a new job in a few months. Reported the income change to Obamacare - my monthly premium's going down by over $1000 and my deductible is going down by $1500.

Holy crap. Thank you, Obama!
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

You were paying 1000+ for BCBS?
Wow- I thought k9daddy had it bad at 900 w/5000 deductible.

You should have no problem finding a job whenever you're ready.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:13 pm
So, I did quit my job. I'm old enough to call myself retired, but will get a new job in a few months. Reported the income change to Obamacare - my monthly premium's going down by over $1000 and my deductible is going down by $1500.

I know some great fishing spots and night life spots in T&C. Let me know when you want to come down.
We can fish and cuss each other all the night long. BUT THAT'S ALL! (also some hot ladies if you're into that)
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:49 pm
... You should have no problem finding a job whenever you're ready.
Yeah, won't be an issue anywhere I want to be. May do some travel nursing to help figure that out.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Be careful not to get kicked off for not making enough to qualify.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:06 am
Be careful not to get kicked off for not making enough to qualify.
This year's covered from what I already made. I'll be working again next year.
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Besides, there's always Medicaid.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:49 pm
Not for me, they look at assets.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:32 pm
k9nanny wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:49 pm

My Medicaid experience

The first year of the aca the website would not include my 19 year old live at home full time student on our family policy. The website said that he had to be on Medicaid. We called and appealed with no change.

I wanted him to be able to keep his doctor so I bought him an individual bcbs policy outside the marketplace while we continued to try to get him on our policy.

Then came time to go to the doctor. Doc explained that as long as my son qualified for Medicaid that he had to use Medicaid. He said and others confirmed that he couldn't even take a cash payment.

So we sent the kid 30 miles to a Medicaid doctor - no appointments - walk-in only. He got there at 1 and at 3:30 they told him that there were too many people in front of him to be seen that day. Next day he got in the line at 9 and saw the doctor at 2.

It took 11 months of hard work and senator Nelson's office to get my son onto the family policy.

My impression is that Medicaid isn't for people who work.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 am
Vrede too wrote:
... My impression is that Medicaid isn't for people who work.
Maybe I'm wrong. It looks here like it's just income based (regardless of employment), though it varies somewhat from state to state and depending on whether the state signed up for ACA Medicaid expansion.

Medicaid: Eligibility and benefits
Medicaid expansion

No matter, I don't expect to qualify before I'm eligible for Medicare.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 am
Vrede too wrote:
... My impression is that Medicaid isn't for people who work.
Maybe I'm wrong. It looks here like it's just income based (regardless of employment), though it varies somewhat from state to state and depending on whether the state signed up for ACA Medicaid expansion.

Medicaid: Eligibility and benefits
Medicaid expansion

No matter, I don't expect to qualify before I'm eligible for Medicare.

I was clumsily trying to say that a working person who qualifies for Medicaid does not have the option to spend two days sitting in a waiting room - as my son had to do in order to see a doctor.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ah. It's more work to be poor than privileged people realize.

When I've needed a new MD or dentist I've called around and asked if they accept new Medicaid patients. When told 'No', I've politely told them that I'm not on Medicaid but I don't accept new providers that don't take Medicaid. Some receptionists have gotten quite offended with me.
1312. ETTD.