Wingnutties out of control!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Wingnutties out of control!

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

If this were Alt Right golf, he'd be the late Kim Jong-il with his 18 holes-in-one.
Trump's claims used to sound a bit like that. Now they sound a lot like that. It's like Kim Jong-Il is now his role model.

Maybe Trump is working with North Korea to manufacture a crisis that'll allow Trump, Bannon and the rest to seize full power. It's like the Star Wars prequel trilogy with more Jar-Jars.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Paraphrasing George Orwell - If you want a vision of the future, imagine Kim, Trump, Bannon, Putin - forever.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The petition to Congress reads:

"Social Security is not a hostage or a bargaining chip. Reject H.R. 3423, the Social Security Commission Act of 2017, and remove Social Security from the upcoming debt ceiling debate."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Similar stories are being written in statehouses all over the country. But it is with much zeal and gusto in the South, where the march backwards is accelerating to double-time.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:15 am
Similar stories are being written in statehouses all over the country. But it is with much zeal and gusto in the South, where the march backwards is accelerating to double-time.
Sadly true. I think NC stands out because the flip from Dem to GOP wingnutty is more recent and dramatic.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

This boy be loonytunes, but just in case, does anyone know if there is a certain type of tinfoil hat that works best against the dna damaging effects of the 440 Hz that the mainstream media is using to broadcast their audio propaganda as instructed by the Illuminati.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/mark ... ign=bestof

"Mark Taylor appeared on Sheila Zilinsky’s radio program, where he warned that the Freemasons and the Illuminati are using a Satanic frequency to change people’s DNA in order to make them oppose President Trump.

“I believe what happened on November 8 is the enemy has literally sent out a frequency,” Taylor said, ..."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:39 am
Boatrocker wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:15 am
Sadly true. I think NC stands out because the flip from Dem to GOP wingnutty is more recent and dramatic.
As are the results, including the ones that aren't in, yet.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:40 pm
This boy be loonytunes, but just in case, does anyone know if there is a certain type of tinfoil hat that works best against the dna damaging effects of the 440 Hz that the mainstream media is using to broadcast their audio propaganda as instructed by the Illuminati.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/mark ... ign=bestof

"Mark Taylor appeared on Sheila Zilinsky’s radio program, where he warned that the Freemasons and the Illuminati are using a Satanic frequency to change people’s DNA in order to make them oppose President Trump.

“I believe what happened on November 8 is the enemy has literally sent out a frequency,” Taylor said, ..."
I'd be interested in hearing what, exactly a "Satanic frequency" is. Wonder if it's something like the "brown note" musical frequency episode featured on Mythbusters a few years ago.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Boatrocker wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:58 pm
I'd be interested in hearing what, exactly a "Satanic frequency" is. Wonder if it's something like the "brown note" musical frequency episode featured on Mythbusters a few years ago.
That Mythbusters episode concluded that there's no such thing. Of course they never tried it on anyone claiming that radio waves would "change people’s DNA in order to make them oppose President Trump." Any "brown note" effect would probably be more noticeable.

Using a powerful enough transmitter - and standing someone right next to it - you might cause random damage to DNA. Nothing where you any could control what the damage does, let alone cause the same damage to enough strands of DNA in enough cells to cause specific personality changes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Subject: Rep. Chuck McGrady's Newsletter: Sept. 13, 2017
Date: Wed, September 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Potential Consideration of Constitutional Amendments during October Session

The adjournment resolution, SJR 692, provides that bills “proposing an amendment or amendments to the North Carolina Constitution and containing no other matter” and bills “proposing an amendment or amendments to the North Carolina Constitution and containing no other matter other than statutory conforming changes to implement such bills” may be heard when the legislature comes back into session on October 4. The conventional political wisdom is that the legislature will take up constitutional amendments during its upcoming October session that are likely to bring voters to the polls in November, 2018--particularly Republican voters--since Republicans are in the majority in both chambers and can control what gets taken up.

Unlike most legislation, bills proposing constitutional amendments are not subject to a gubernatorial veto. Thus, Governor Cooper wouldn't have any role in putting any constitutional amendment on the ballot. If a bill providing for a constitutional amendment passes both chambers by a three-fifths vote, then a majority of voters can decide whether to adopt it.

While new bills could be filed providing for constitutional amendments, there were sixteen constitutional amendments proposed during the Long Session. Assuming the legislature takes up constitutional amendments during its upcoming October session, some of these are likely to be considered and some will clearly not.

Four bills proposing constitutional amendments passed one of the two chambers during the Long Session. As it has in past years, the House passed a bill to limit the use of eminent domain to condemn property by state and local governments and public utilities. H 3 [Eminent Domain] is a bill that I filed, and it cleared the House with strong, bipartisan support. Since the Senate included this constitutional amendment in a bill that it passed last year, the bill has a good shot at being considered by the Senate.

The House also passed H 551 [Strengthening Victims’ Rights] with strong, bipartisan support. The bill would clarify and expand the rights of crime victims with the most important right being the right to be heard involving a plea, sentencing, parole or release of a criminal defendant. Another House bill, H 105 [Const. Amendment-Limit Governor/LG to 2 Terms], passed with bipartisan support, albeit not as strong as the other two bills. As the title suggests, it would limit the Governor and Lieutenant Governor to two terms. With bipartisan support, these three bills would not be particularly heavy lifts in the October session.

The Senate passed S 75 [Const. Amd.-Max. Income Tax Rate of 5.5%], a bill to cap the tax on both personal and corporate incomes at 5.5%. The cap is currently 10%. S 75 passed largely on a party-line vote, and the vote on this amendment could be close in the House if all Democratic Members oppose the amendment, since a three-fifths vote is required on constitutional amendments and Republicans constitute just over three-fifths of the chamber.

In 2016, the Senate passed a constitutional amendment relating to the right to fish and hunt as part of an omnibus constitutional amendments bill, so one would expect that S 677 [Protect Right to Hunt and Fish] could pass the Senate with the requisite majority. My expectation is that S 677 would pass the House with more than a three-fifths vote if it is brought up.

Another constitutional amendment that is viewed quite positively by many Republican legislators is an amendment, S 632 [Protect NC Right to Work Constitutional Amend.], to protect the right of North Carolinians to be employed without being required to join a labor union. By law, North Carolina is already a right-to-work state, but many feel that this should be enshrined in the state constitution.

While no bill has been filed, there is speculation that the legislature may put a Voter ID constitutional amendment on the ballot. Requiring a Voter ID has consistently received strong support in various polling regarding the subject. With a federal court striking down North Carolina’s earlier attempt to enact a photo voter identification requirement, the legislature might try passing a constitutional amendment as a way to address the issue.

There are some proposed constitutional amendments that clearly wouldn’t be heard. The legislature has no appetite for passing any redistricting amendments [H 674 or H 735], and any constitutional amendment dealing with marijuana [H 185] wouldn’t have enough support. Having failed to move an omnibus gun bill this year, one has to question whether there is sufficient support for any constitutional amendments dealing with guns [H 145].

While there are several proposed constitutional amendments dealing with legislative terms or the length of legislative sessions, those bills [H 193, H 413, and H 682] aren’t viewed as having broad public support. Similarly, the fight over the roles of the State Board of Education and the Superintendent of Public Instruction has just been decided by the courts, so there is no talk of taking up a constitutional amendment to elect the State Board of Education, H 133.

That leaves only H 727 [Taxpayers’ Bill of Rights], a proposed constitutional amendment that would limit the growth of state spending. While this sort of proposal has been discussed in past years, such a constitutional amendment could bring Democrats to the polls to vote against the amendment. With Republicans passing budgets that have limited the growth of state spending, there doesn’t seem to be a groundswell of support for this proposed constitutional amendment.

One can expect a range of partisan constitutional amendment bills will be filed. However, the only way to get the requisite three-fifths vote for passage of a constitutional amendment is to get most Republicans supporting the proposal since Democrats don’t constitute three-fifths of either chamber. In other words, constitutional amendments proposed by Republican Members could pass, but only if they garner overwhelming Republican support or gain bipartisan support
Hi,

Assuming there are no boobytraps in the details:

I support a constitutional amendment limiting the use of eminent domain to condemn property by state and local governments and public utilities given that it’s usually been done to enhance private profit, as long as this needs to be done by constitutional amendment.

I support H 551 [Strengthening Victims’ Rights].

Please oppose S 75 [Const. Amd.-Max. Income Tax Rate of 5.5%] and H 727 [Taxpayers’ Bill of Rights]. Fiscal policy should be determined by a current Leg. not by today’s Leg. hamstringing all future ones.

Is the “Right to Hunt and Fish” so endangered here that it needs a constitutional amendment?

By law or amendment, so-called "right-to-work" is really a corporate subsidy. Anyhow, the law has worked just as the greedy and abusive corporations have intended. Why bother cluttering up our Constitution in a transparent attempt to prevent future pols from crafting law based on current circumstances?

Voter ID has always been based on a lie. Fraud is rare, it’s usually Republicans that are caught, and its ONLY intent is to suppress legit Dem votes. Why does the GOP detest democracy and fair elections?

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Musing here. Are any of these proposed amendments necessary or prudent?
I smell a GOP attempt to further hobble the Governor and any future majority Dem GAs.
We've spent too much time in court already with this batch of dimwits. Can Constitutional Amendments not end up in higher courts?
Se Non Ora, Quando?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'm not a fan of Constitutional Amendments being easy, or for sticking what could be handled by normal legislation into the Constitution. Here's a really good example of how NOT to do it... https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Constitution

The current (and sixth) Florida Constitution was adopted on November 5, 1968.
The current constitution has been amended 129 times.
The most recent amendments to the Florida Constitution, of which there were four, were approved by voters in 2016.
Florida has a process for initiated constitutional amendments, which means constitutional amendments can happen through citizen initiatives, legislatively referred constitutional amendments, or constitutional conventions. Moreover, Florida features several commmissions that also have the power to refer amendments to the ballot.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:36 am
Musing here. Are any of these proposed amendments necessary

Probably not.

or prudent?

Maybe a couple.

I smell a GOP attempt to further hobble the Governor

Sounds like most of those don't have a shot.

and any future majority Dem GAs.

Yep.

We've spent too much time in court already with this batch of dimwits. Can Constitutional Amendments not end up in higher courts?

Yes, they can, SSM bans for example. In fact, without the homophobic state constitutional amendments it might have taken longer for legalizing SSM nationally.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 am
I'm not a fan of Constitutional Amendments being easy ...
Most states' constitutional amendment referendums require a Leg. super majority to get on the ballot, but only a popular simple majority to pass. I would probably change that to a popular super majority if I could.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

75% of states to ratify a US Constitutional Amendment. I'd go with that for the popular state vote. Once it gets easy to change a constitution, the document and the principles it's based on get pretty worthless.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:31 pm
75% of states to ratify a US Constitutional Amendment. I'd go with that for the popular state vote. Once it gets easy to change a constitution, the document and the principles it's based on get pretty worthless.
Agree. 75%.
It just seems to me that the NC GA thinks they can get away with more crap by choosing amendments over law/code.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:33 pm
O Really wrote:
Agree. 75%.
It just seems to me that the NC GA thinks they can get away with more crap by choosing amendments over law/code.
They can. Beating their plots like with SSM will be rare, but we can hope for voter wisdom. The GA GOP ain't all that popular.
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:36 pm
k9nanny wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:33 pm
O Really wrote:
Agree. 75%.
They can. Beating their plots like with SSM will be rare, but we can hope for voter wisdom. The GA GOP ain't all that popular.
Voter wisdom? Pardon my skepticism.
Well ... McCrory was elected, so maybe there's a glimmer of hope.
Se Non Ora, Quando?