Wingnutties out of control!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Wingnutties out of control!

Unread post by rstrong »

I only ever saw her briefly in one or two commercials. I got successful in programming, and just plain missed a decade or so.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I caught snippets of The Nanny, would rapidly change the channel. Someone must have liked it since it lasted 6 years. I really know nothing about her irl. Her relationship with con Shiva Ayyadurai seems to be an aberration. Maybe she'll campaign for Warren since he's being such a dick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran_Dres ... sonal_life

She's about 3 weeks younger than me, I wonder if she's still single. :D
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ivanka Trump and Marco Rubio Want to Cut Your Social Security as the Price for Caring for Your Newborn

The petition to Congress reads:

“Pitting paid family leave against Social Security is a cruel false choice. Reject Marco Rubio’s plan to pay for paid family leave by cutting Social Security benefits.”
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Not that I support that proposal - or for that matter acknowledge that Rubio deserves to be called a "human being," but as I read the original it was to allow use of SS benefits they would otherwise be eligible for in the future for parental leave. That would be comparable to choosing to take benefits earlier (e.g. 62) vs. waiting for full benefits at 70. Or taking an early distribution out of your 401(k) for a house downpayment. Maybe not a wise decision for some (or maybe anyone), but it's not really the benefit theft it's been portrayed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:13 am
Not that I support that proposal - or for that matter acknowledge that Rubio deserves to be called a "human being," but as I read the original it was to allow use of SS benefits they would otherwise be eligible for in the future for parental leave. That would be comparable to choosing to take benefits earlier (e.g. 62) vs. waiting for full benefits at 70. Or taking an early distribution out of your 401(k) for a house downpayment. Maybe not a wise decision for some (or maybe anyone), but it's not really the benefit theft it's been portrayed.
Whether it's really benefit theft depends on the reference point.
Compared to no family and medical leave, it's not benefit theft.
Compared to family and medical leave funded by some other mechanism, it's benefit theft.

The article I linked:
The following is a statement from Nancy Altman, President of Social Security Works, in reaction to reports that Sen. Marco Rubio and Ivanka Trump are considering a plan to require people to accept a cut in their future Social Security benefits if they choose to take six weeks of paid parental leave:

“It’s well past time for our country to join the rest of the world in providing workers with paid family and medical leave. But we should not undermine our retirement security to achieve it. In light of the decline of traditional pensions and the proven inadequacy of 401(k) plans for everyone but the wealthiest, Social Security’s modest benefits will be even more important in the future.

We are the wealthiest nation in the world at the wealthiest moment in our history. Our country can afford to increase, not cut, Social Security’s modest benefits, while also adding paid family and medical leave. Other less-wealthy nations have those benefits. We can too if we simply require the wealthiest among us to pay more to our commonwealth (i.e., “common wealth”) from which they have benefited so enormously.”
Another article:

Rubio’s ‘paid family leave’ plan is actually just cutting Social Security
A cynical move.

I agree with them. Paying for family and medical leave by increasing future elderly and disabled poverty is the worst of ideas. I can think of 100 places, including tax increases, that I would rather see them get the money from.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

OK, so I've looked at it again, and agree that it's theft and an arbitrary reduction of earned benefit. At first blush, it's not unreasonable to say that use of a benefit early reduces the value of that benefit later. But the amount one is eligible for from Social Security is based on average earnings over time and ostensibly a person taking parental leave would be usually young enough to have many more working years in front of them. Given the variation in amount that could be earned from then until retirement, taking say, three months, of benefit shouldn't even make a noticeable blip in eligibility amount for retirement. The time out (unpaid by the employer) would have already reduced the earnings for that year anyway (affecting retirement eligibility by a minuscule amount), so the recipient is getting dinged twice - but both in amounts that should theoretically be negligible. If the reduction in retirement benefit is significant, then it is indeed a hosing. Which is to be expected from Republicans. What's strange, though, is how does Florida, with a high number of retirees get a Senator who wants to cut Social Security?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:24 pm
... What's strange, though, is how does Florida, with a high number of retirees get a Senator who wants to cut Social Security?
Good point, especially given that Social Security is not a savings/investment account. This proposal ultimately will reduce benefits decades later for those getting family and medical leave, but in reality it will be taking money from Social Security NOW and giving it to younger folks. So, have you seen much outrage in Florida yet - editorials, mailers, etc.?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:24 pm
... What's strange, though, is how does Florida, with a high number of retirees get a Senator who wants to cut Social Security?
Good point, especially given that Social Security is not a savings/investment account. This proposal ultimately will reduce benefits decades later for those getting family and medical leave, but in reality it will be taking money from Social Security NOW and giving it to younger folks. So, have you seen much outrage in Florida yet - editorials, mailers, etc.?
but marco seems like such a nice boy

things may work differently in florida than elsewhere. of course, in was SC where the teabagger sported the sign about Keeping the Government away from his Medicare, but he is replicated here by two coastlines of early bird specials at the same chains they had “back” north. Our older generation in central and south florida overwhelmingly voted against marijuana to help relieve their overwhelming opiate addiction – twice – even the redneck panhandle voted for.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Not sure but that maybe Arkansas don't need they own thread to.

But here tis the sack of shit who lied about trunk calling countries shitholes - the one and only Tomboi Cotton

https://www.thomhartmann.com/blog/2018/ ... -democracy

"The letter on the headline Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas - United States Senate and it says...

"This letter is immediate notification that all communication must cease and desist immediately with all offices of US Senator Tom Cotton.

All other contact will be deemed harassment and will be reported to the United States Capitol Police."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Probably. I'll donate $25 to your favorite charity if you get one on your first try.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Petition to Congress:

"Block and resist the Trump budget. It is an immoral attack on the poor and essential programs like the EPA, State Department, women’s health, Medicaid and Head Start combined with a tax handout for the ultra-wealthy and subsidies for war-profiteering defense contractors."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:16 pm
:lol: :lol: That's a good one. :lol: :lol:
It was tough choosing between this thread, Can't make this (stuff) up and Just for Fun.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Without Google, can you guess who said,

"“I’m willing to be guided by God Almighty, the creator of the universe and the four corners of the 12th dimensional helix that is the giant hourglass in a moosehead on fire that is God’s mind,” he said."

O Really
Admiral

No idea without Google. After Google, I'm not surprised.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:20 am
Without Google, can you guess who said,

"“I’m willing to be guided by God Almighty, the creator of the universe and the four corners of the 12th dimensional helix that is the giant hourglass in a moosehead on fire that is God’s mind,” he said."
Spoiler:
Before Google: Charlie Manson
After Google: I'm a little surprised, I though the crazy was all marketing.
https://lawandcrime.com/media/after-bei ... nal-helix/
Here's some info. on the "12th dimensional helix":
http://ascendedrelationships.com/dna-activation/
Ka-ching.

I'm seeing too many "giant hourglass" references to pin that one down.

Here's some info. on the "moosehead on fire":
http://fox8.com/2017/08/16/fire-freaks- ... -westlake/
:D :wave:
1312. ETTD.