Wingnutties out of control!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Wingnutties out of control!

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:30 am
If you were going to get blamed and attacked anyhow, why not tell her husband? :evil:

I think it's fair to discuss the people that are the majority of victims as long as recognition is made that they're not the only victims. Misogyny and racism are a big part of the problem. That said, in response to a Progress NC email I sent a note a couple of weeks ago that included:
Spacey is appropriate to cite, but his victims were almost entirely men and boys. If you're going to mention him, the rest of your email shouldn't exclusively be about women victims.
I have not gotten a reply.
That would have been a good way to get fired and just plain looks bad. Looking back, I sort of wish that I had talked to an attorney, but I took the easy route and left.

Misogyny and racism both come from power over people and ignorance about people. Matters little if you were a hillbilly coal miner confronting the mine owner backed by LE, or a woman standing up to the legal attacks resulting from exposing a billionaire.

Both attitudes come from thousands of years of practice. Change will come slowly, but there has been improvements and they will continue.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

JTA wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:50 pm
Saw this on the internet when discussing Alabama:

Talibama.
:thumbup:

MISsISsippi
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I found this quote. Pretty pertinent to the past year:
"...Each act, each occasion, is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next. You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join with you in resisting somehow. You don't want to act, or even talk, alone; you don't want to 'go out of your way to make trouble.' Why not?-Well, you are not in the habit of doing it. And it is not just fear, fear of standing alone, that restrains you; it is also genuine uncertainty. Uncertainty is a very important factor, and, instead of decreasing as time goes on, it grows. Outside, in the streets, in the general community, 'everyone' is happy. One hears no protest, and certainly sees none. You know, in France or Italy there would be slogans against the government painted on walls and fences; in Germany, outside the great cities, perhaps, there is not even this. In the university community, in your own community, you speak privately to your colleagues, some of whom certainly feel as you do; but what do they say? They say, 'It's not so bad' or 'You're seeing things' or 'You're an alarmist.'
And you are an alarmist. You are saying that this must lead to this, and you can't prove it. These are the beginnings, yes; but how do you know for sure when you don't know the end, and how do you know, or even surmise, the end? On the one hand, your enemies, the law, the regime, the Party, intimidate you. On the other, your colleagues pooh-pooh you as pessimistic or even neurotic. You are left with your close friends, who are, naturally, people who have always thought as you have....
But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That's the difficulty. If the last and worst act of the whole regime had come immediately after the first and smallest, thousands, yes, millions would have been sufficiently shocked-if, let us say, the gassing of the Jews in '43 had come immediately after the 'German Firm' stickers on the windows of non-Jewish shops in '33. But of course this isn't the way it happens. In between come all the hundreds of little steps, some of them imperceptible, each of them preparing you not to be shocked by the next. Step C is not so much worse than Step B, and, if you did not make a stand at Step B, why should you at Step C? And so on to Step D.
And one day, too late, your principles, if you were ever sensible of them, all rush in upon you. The burden of self-deception has grown too heavy, and some minor incident, in my case my little boy, hardly more than a baby, saying 'Jewish swine,' collapses it all at once, and you see that everything, everything, has changed and changed completely under your nose. The world you live in-your nation, your people-is not the world you were born in at all. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves; when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. Now you live in a system which rules without responsibility even to God. The system itself could not have intended this in the beginning, but in order to sustain itself it was compelled to go all the way."

-Milton Mayer, They Thought They Were Free: The Germans 1933-1945
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump Nominee for Federal Judgeship Has Never Tried a Case

A 36-year-old lawyer who has never tried a case and who was unanimously deemed “not qualified” by the American Bar Association has been approved for a lifetime federal district judgeship by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

The lawyer, Brett Talley, is the fourth judicial nominee under President Trump to receive a “not qualified” rating from the bar association and the second to receive the rating unanimously. Since 1989, the association has unanimously rated only two other judicial nominees as not qualified....

Senator Dianne Feinstein of California, the ranking member of the committee, asked if Mr. Talley had ever argued a motion in Federal District Court, given that he had never tried a case. He had not.

Ms. Feinstein also pointed to Mr. Talley’s prolific social media presence before his nomination. He once referred to Hillary Clinton as “Hillary Rotten Clinton” on his public Twitter account, which is now private.

In 2013, he wrote on his blog that armed revolution was an important defense against tyrannical government. Ms. Feinstein asked in her written questions when Mr. Talley believed it would become appropriate for American citizens to participate in an armed uprising against the government....
Trump Judicial Pick Did Not Disclose He Is Married to a White House Lawyer

... The nominee, Brett J. Talley, is awaiting a Senate confirmation vote that could come as early as Monday to become a federal district judge in Alabama. He is married to Ann Donaldson, the chief of staff to the White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II.

Mr. Talley was asked on his publicly released Senate questionnaire to identify family members and others who are “likely to present potential conflicts of interest.” He did not mention his wife....

Ms. Donaldson has emerged in recent weeks as a witness in the special counsel’s investigation into whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice. She was interviewed by investigators recently about her detailed notes about conversations with Mr. McGahn on topics including the firing of the former F.B.I. director James B. Comey ...
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

"THAT, IN NUTSHELL, IS WHAT REPUBLICANISM HAS BECOME: LOOKING AT ANY PROBLEM AND SAYING, “WHAT WOULD A DICK DO?” - Bill Maher"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Good morning, friends.

With a few hand written illegible scribbles, and some concessions to a few key senators, it appears the GOP tax bill has made it's way through the Senate late last night.

Your thoughts?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

JTA wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:40 am
Good morning, friends.

With a few hand written illegible scribbles, and some concessions to a few key senators, it appears the GOP tax bill has made it's way through the Senate late last night.

Your thoughts?
First - the media sucks for continuing to call it "tax reform" and framing the whole thing as a win/lose for repugs, while mostly ignoring the specifics.

Also, complicit is the shit network fox for refusing to run an advertisement explaining the bill to their completely uninformed audience.

It's theft pure and simple. The oldest trick in the book by the royals over the peasants.

https://youtu.be/JvKIWjnEPNY

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

JTA wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:40 am
Good morning, friends.

Your thoughts?
GOP cares about deficits....... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I read (cursory) the draft. I've read a lot of laws and legislation in my life, and I gotta say - this is word salad at its best. It muddies much and clarifies nothing.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 am
I read (cursory) the draft. I've read a lot of laws and legislation in my life, and I gotta say - this is word salad at its best. It muddies much and clarifies nothing.
It's all about ending social security and Medicare. It's evil and cruel.

Bring back the guillotine.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Most Americans have little to no retirement savings, instead hoping social security will be there to provide them with at least something when they reach the age where they're too old to work. Most Americans simply can't put away for retirement. If you're scraping by, paycheck to paycheck, it's an impossibility.

If social security were phased out or drastically cut, it seems like society would be drastically transformed into something akin to the late 19th century, albeit worse because things are very different nowadays.

I mean, what recourse would a person have, especially if they're childless or without family? Just die? Why don't people think about this?

America is gripped by a fever of narcissism and its all incredibly astounding to me.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

JTA wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:09 am
Most Americans have little to no retirement savings, instead hoping social security will be there to provide them with at least something when they reach the age where they're too old to work. Most Americans simply can't put away for retirement. If you're scraping by, paycheck to paycheck, it's an impossibility.

If social security were phased out or drastically cut, it seems like society would be drastically transformed into something akin to the late 19th century, albeit worse because things are very different nowadays.

I mean, what recourse would a person have, especially if they're childless or without family? Just die? Why don't people think about this?

America is gripped by a fever of narcissism incredibly astounding to me.
According to mercer and Koch - they should shut up and die quietly.

Here's Thom's view

https://www.thomhartmann.com/blog/2017/ ... -trump-now

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I don't think that the media has done a terrible job. There is historically low support for this tax bill.

We'll see what happens in reconciliation. Our best hope is that the House rightwingers are assholes, enough so that they either kill the bill on their own or that they make it so bad as to lose 2 more moderate GOP senators. Maybe I should write my rep, Freedom Caucus Chair Meadows, urging him to be an adamant wingnut. :D
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:11 am
I don't think that the media has done a terrible job. There is historically low support for this tax bill.

We'll see what happens in reconciliation. Our best hope is that the House rightwingers are assholes, enough so that they either kill the bill on their own or that they make it so bad as to lose 2 more moderate GOP senators. Maybe I should write my rep, Freedom Caucus Chair Meadows, urging him to be an adamant wingnut. :D

Explain why all sides keep calling it "tax reform" before explaining or glorifying it. You would never hear fox using a positive word for anything not republican.

Branding is something the left can't seem to grasp. There are a lot of people who won't listen past the headlines. Taxes are bad reform are good, we needs some reform.

The aca mandate might be safe, not so the obummercare mandate.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Found in comments about the tax fiasco:
Republican brains verbatim et literatim: “I know I’m right because god hasn’t struck me down like those wretched poor people. God bless the rich! Jesus was poor so that I don’t have to be!”
Se Non Ora, Quando?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

k9nanny wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:49 am
Found in comments about the tax fiasco:
Republican brains verbatim et literatim: “I know I’m right because god hasn’t struck me down like those wretched poor people. God bless the rich! Jesus was poor so that I don’t have to be!”
sums it up nicely

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Alt-right women are upset that alt-right men are treating them terribly

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/04/alt-ri ... -terribly/
Women in the alt-right "are constantly harassed by low level anonymous trolls trying to put us in our place," self-described "Ethno Nationalist" Tara McCarthy wrote on Twitter Sunday, in a moment of revelation that was well-known to basically anyone else. "The ultimate goal seems to be to bully us off the internet."
Suprise!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Women in the alt-right "are constantly harassed by low level anonymous trolls trying to put us in our place," self-described "Ethno Nationalist" Tara McCarthy wrote on Twitter Sunday, in a moment of revelation that was well-known to basically anyone else. "The ultimate goal seems to be to bully us off the internet."
Suprise!
Fwiw, on other forums I fairly regularly chastise lefties for sexist attacks on Melania, Ivanka, Conway, Hicks, Sanders, female con posters, etc. I post something like, "There are so very many other things to criticize them on, no need to be sexist." I never get a response.

That said, I never see lefties posting sexist attacks on lefty female posters. Apparently, the reichwing is "special" that way.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:44 pm
JTA wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Suprise!
Fwiw, on other forums I fairly regularly chastise lefties for sexist attacks on Melania, Ivanka, Conway, Hicks, Sanders, female con posters, etc. I post something like, "There are so very many other things to criticize them on, no need to be sexist." I never get a response.

That said, I never see lefties posting sexist attacks on lefty female posters. Apparently, the reichwing is "special" that way.
The alt-right phenomenon is really interesting. From listening to the dudes in those recent rallies, I get the drift that most of the alt-right are millennial internet nerds that have found the movement to be a "counter-culture" they can latch onto for a sense of belonging. I wish they'd just go away it's so cringey.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

GOP donates 170k to Moore's campaign while also adopting a new logo