Wingnutties out of control!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Wingnutties out of control!

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:It's also possible you confuse "protest" with "demonstration," which can be related but are not the same thing. Or may not pay attention to what the actual purpose of the effort might be....
I participated in and helped organize nearby large demonstrations, too, but I guess it's a protest if it's just a handful of us at the compound gates during the annual Aryan Nations World Congress. Thanks to the efforts of all, Richard Girnt Butler lost the compound and the Aryan Nations withered away. I'm proud of my role in that, more than many other things, and laugh at and pity anyone that criticizes it.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:It's also possible you confuse "protest" with "demonstration," which can be related but are not the same thing. Or may not pay attention to what the actual purpose of the effort might be....
"I participated in and helped organize nearby large demonstrations, too, but I guess it's a protest if it's just a handful of us at the compound gates during the annual Aryan Nations World Congress. Thanks to the efforts of all, Richard Girnt Butler lost the compound and the Aryan Nations withered away. I'm proud of my role in that, more than many other things, and laugh at and pity anyone that criticizes it."
Wussy of you not to address my question; however, I wasn't criticizing; I was asking.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:Very strange to be whined at for protesting murderous, terrorist (literally) neo-nazis near my home in the 1980s when our families fought the Nazis in the 1940s. I guess some folks would have been rooting for the other team then and roots for it now. Sad.
They just got their team elected.

(That would have been stupid hyperbole in previous administrations, but not with Bannon, Gorka and Trump in the White House. I think even Pat Buchanan is going "Whoa.")

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Vrede too wrote:
k9nanny wrote:.... y'all give me hope that the MrBs of this world are becoming obsolete....
"becoming"?

Related: In the 1980s I and a small group protested outside an Aryan Nations gathering at Richard Butler's compound in Hayden, Idaho. At one point one of the idiot neonazis yelled at us, "Y'all went out in the 60s."

My friend yelled back, "Y'all went out in the 40s."
Yes, becoming. There are still way too many men who believe women are weak, subservient, inferior, as well as incompetent because of hormones.

Oh! And it bothers them when we don't know our place.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

The Equal Rights Amendment was introduced every session of Congress for decades. Scaredy cat men and women wouldn't pass it, and when the ERA was finally submitted for ratification by states, we couldn't get the required number.

Here in NC we had the likes of Jesse Helms. We had ignorant declarations that rape and domestic violence wouldn't be a crimes. Our local repress antigens in Raleigh preferred to spend their energy on naming the honey bee the state insect.

In spite of the failure to ratify the ERA, all those protests and demonstrations led to improvements that the young women today are blessed to take for granted.

(I tried to upload a pic of my tarnished ERA bracelet, but the file is too big, and I can't resize from here. Here is a replica.)
image.jpeg
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I still have 3 boxy tube TVs, doesn't mean they're not obsolete. :D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:Yes, becoming....
I still have 4 boxy tube TVs, one with a built in VHS player, doesn't mean that they're not already obsolete. :D

Cool bracelet, sistah. My eastern blue state ratified the ERA well before I could vote and my western purple state ratified the year before I moved there. Neither rescinded. NC was one of the non-ratifying states with one-house approval :ateeth: .

Speaking of activist history, I've just been contacted by Michigan State University's African Activist Archive Project. They found my name in a regional 1986 anti-apartheid newsletter. In the next few days I'm gonna go through 10 years of files - the start of my involvement through Mandela's inauguration. They probably found the one person in my city and possibly my state with the best record of what we did.

Fwiw, I've also been an elected Dem Party official, ran the volunteers for a Congressperson's campaign, was a mayoral campaign manager, was a lobbyist twice, knocked on or leafleted tens of thousands of doors, organized large fundraisers, speakers and forums, have done extensive teaching, tried to get appointed to a Leg. seat when someone resigned, and eventually chose easing suffering and saving lives as a more personal way of expressing my values. The real gripe here is not over "protest" but rather shame over never having had the guts to work for a better world by doing anything more than anonymous screeching in defense of murderous, terrorist (literally) neonazis on a web forum.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

When Jesus threw the moneylenders out of the temple, during the Boston Tea Party and writing of the 1st Amendment, and at the Edmund Pettus Bridge some people sat on the bench and said, "it must be a miserable existence living a life protesting everything coming and going." In fact, they are the miserable ones that were too lazy, self-centered or frightened to help make history.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

a new atrocity from the Wingnut Conspiracy Theorists has surfaced! :wtf:

Last edited by Mr.B on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I don't believe many conspiracies, if for no other reason that most are too complex to be able to maintain secrecy, avoid leaks, and contain defectors. And I wouldn't say there's anything conspiratorial about the Atlanta highway fire/crash. However, there is much more to the story than we're getting so far. They haven't said what was under the bridge other than PVC storage, but to burn PVC you've got to have a much bigger heat source than a chair stacked on a grocery cart and a crack pipe. PVC does not burn easily, and it melts before it burns. Sure, once it's going, it's going to be hot, but getting it started is another matter. The crack-smoking homeless guy may very well have started a fire - probably started a fire under that bridge most every chilly night. But his fire didn't start the PVC burning unless there was a bunch of something else too. I'm thinking maybe gasoline or explosives stored improperly under there by DOT or something? Hoono?

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

O Really wrote:. . . I'm thinking maybe gasoline or explosives stored improperly under there by DOT or something? Hoono?
Same thing I said to my wife. Paint, oxygen & acetylene bottles, stack of hardwood pallets, 2-bys and plywood for concrete forms, all kinds of shit that nobody wants to bother with storing carefully. And was it in a fence?
But those are just questions about laziness and incompetence, not some grand conspiracy.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

By Alexis Stevens and Janel Davis - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

"It wasn’t known late Friday what caused the massive fire that caused a portion of I-85 to collapse. But materials being stored under the bridge appeared the likely culprit, according to transportation and fire officials.
Those materials — including PVC and high-density polyethylene pipe which cover fiber optic cable — were under the bridge, but typically don’t ignite, experts said."

“I’m not sure storing them under a bridge was the smartest thing to do, but you could store them there because these types of materials are not self-igniting,” Georgia Tech’s Lisa Detter-Hoskin said. “These things just don’t catch fire by themselves.”

A possibility, she said, was something flammable was being stored with the cables or conduits. Google Earth images of the items under the bridge show rolls of plastic conduit, which typically require some type of lubricant to pull fiber optic wires through, she said, and “those lubricants would likely be flammable.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not a fire for heat, it was afternoon. He was getting high on crack on his way to work (!) and supposedly lit a chair on a shopping cart. Articles have also mentioned plastic (coated electrical/fiberoptic?) cable. I'm sure that highways everywhere have storage and nasty businesses underneath them, probably more so in high land value urban areas. What else can you put there? Probably being rethought now. My brother's Friday commute on surface streets was 20 minutes longer than usual.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

The only fencing was a locked gate that stretched between two support columns that would prevent a vehicle from driving under the bridge.
gated.jpg

I copied this shot of the under-the-bridge storage area off Google Earth. The street view photo shot was going south on Piedmont Road. It shows the large rolls of PVC piping that is used to encase electrical/utility cables and conduits that are then attached underneath the bridge structure. If I'm not mistaken, the PVC pipe is 3-4 inches in diameter.

This Street View shot was taken November 2016.

O Really
Admiral

NC isn't the only place with idiot Republicans who think it's a good idea to run roughshod over their cities. Not that he's going to get anywhere in the minority Washington, but here's a guy who wants to make the city of Seattle pay for cost overruns on the state's tunnel project. And if they don't pay "... the state would hold back revenue sharing for city street, transit and walk-bike uses; withhold the city’s share of liquor and marijuana taxes devoted to health programs; and withhold money for municipal courts"

Why is it these guys get to Raleigh or Olympia or whatever capitol they crawl under their rock in and think that the Feds are bad (unless they get a flood, hurricane, or toronado), and locals are yokels incapable of making their own decisions, that only those anointed to the high level of state representative at the lofty pay of $30-40K. :roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... here's a guy ...
Did you mean to include a link?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:... here's a guy ...
Did you mean to include a link?
I did - sorry. :oops:
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... picks=true

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I don't remember anyone ever suggesting that the Pentagon pay for its routine cost overruns out of its existing budget rather than getting nearly automatic extra monies from Congress.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I've been told, by people who should know, that any construction project can be built well, built fast, or built cheap. You can have any two of them, but not all three.

There is some value in the idea that those most benefiting from a given project should share in the cost, but asking for a bigger ante after the fact is ridiculous. Let's see: we (the state) contracted for the work; we manage the contractors; we arranged the financing; we conduct the in-progress inspections and project reviews. But if we have cost overruns because the price of materials goes up...Seattle weather causes delays...we changed the design...or whatever, the city should pay.

That guy lives almost in Oregon, anyway. Probably some sort of Wesen.

But Bertha the tunnel digger is pretty magnificent, isn't it?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.