Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:52 am
... Let's play, guess the moron ...
No fair, too many options in Alabama. :P
Spoiler:
Roy Moore?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Spoiler:
Roy Moore?

Yep,

He's "always been at the forefront of support of Israel and because I share a strong belief in God as the Creator and Sustainer of all life, as does Israel"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Spoiler:
Roy Moore?
I've a pretty fair dinkum (amateur) knack for accents; I've begun telling strangers that I'm from Australia, sometimes Scotland.
I limit myself to 1 or 2 trips back to LA, these days, and I have used the massive masochistic horror of I-85 as an excuse to offer regrets. Even the wife has to dope up to take it for several days, and they're HER family.
I've said it in the past- Rural Ameriika is where the greatest problem is, cause that's where the highest concentration of stoopit is.

G'dye, mites!
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:52 pm
I've a pretty fair dinkum (amateur) knack for accents; I've begun telling strangers that I'm from Australia, sometimes Scotland.
I limit myself to 1 or 2 trips back to LA, these days, and I have used the massive masochistic horror of I-85 as an excuse to offer regrets. Even the wife has to dope up to take it for several days, and they're HER family.
I've said it in the past- Rural Ameriika is where the greatest problem is, cause that's where the highest concentration of stoopit is.

G'dye, mites!
Welcome back! Were your wife's ears burning?
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:13 pm
Welcome back! Were your wife's ears burning?
Couldn't say, but her stomach gives her trouble while we're down there, same as mine.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Life's too short for that, man.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:37 pm
Etna was my first volcano, and we were privileged to witness eruptions while sipping on wine from the Sicilian grape, Nero D'Avola. I thought it was really cool how much the locals love her.

Note: Aetna is a she, daughter of the most ancient goddess, Gaia.

The drone's eye view is great. We couldn't get to the top because of gale force winds, sleet, and snow.
rstrong wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 am
Meh. In the era of drones, there's far more spectacular footage.

YouTube: Yasur volcano on Tanna island, Vanuatu

YouTube: Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano
Lava bomb injures 23 on tour boat in Hawaii

Ouch.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Really, really, really Can't make this (stuff) up

Georgia lawmaker who shouted racial slur on TV to resign

A Georgia lawmaker will resign after exposing himself and yelling racial slurs on provocateur Sacha Baron Cohen's cable TV show, a spokesman for House Speaker David Ralston said.

Rep. Jason Spencer had vowed to serve out his term despite the fallout. Now he'll step down at month's end, spokesman Kaleb McMichen told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution late Tuesday.

In Sunday night's broadcast of Cohen's Showtime series "Who Is America?" Cohen poses as an Israeli military expert who persuades Spencer to take part in several outlandish exercises. The lawmaker is told they're making a counterterrorism video.

Spencer repeatedly shouts a racial slur for black people after Cohen tells him the tactic is useful for drawing bystanders' attention to an unfolding attack.

He also drops his pants, then his underwear, before backing his exposed rear end toward Cohen while shouting "USA!" and "America!" Cohen told Spencer this would incite fear in homophobic jihadists. The segment also shows Spencer speaking with a mock Asian accent while using a selfie-stick to surreptitiously insert a camera phone between the legs of a woman dressed in traditional Muslim clothing....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:53 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:43 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:32 am

We may have more bears than you do. I always thought it was the tourists for NC who call the cops over bear and alligator sightings.

They got my garbage last night and one took an absolutely huge shit on the sidewalk.
Well maybe in your neck of the woods. But in all my years in Florida south of you, and hiking/biking in the parks and woods including Ocala National Forest, I never saw one bear. I know they're there, but with the exception of your neighborhood/area they're way less visible than in WNC.
I never heard of any when I lived in citrus county (I did see a Florida lion, or panther), but they are all over the panhandle, especially around the water. I think most of ours swim over from the national seashore barrier island.

People in my neighborhood are seeing them almost daily now. Could be due to most of us getting new lockable trash cans. poor bears have to check out more houses for a meal. All us dog walkers have bear horns. They really work.

An elderly neighbor called her husband's doctor to see if his new medication could cause him to hallucinate bears. The next day her next door neighbor brought over photos of bears all over her front yard.

Our bears are at it again. Well really, they are at it every day, but yesterday, the big guy sauntered through a group of 4 and 5 year olds playing along the beach at our s/d summer day camp. Kids went running and screaming everywhere. The bear wandered on. The authorities say, we don't do bears. The neighbors are discussing a neighborhood BBQ and who gets the rug.

Edit: just realized that our bear problems started not long after they moved that bombing range from Puerto Rico to just around the corner from me. Eglin had mostly been 700 square miles of scrub wilderness and swamp with a large bear population. Maybe some moved due to the noise.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:55 pm
Life's too short for that, man.
No shit. But it's family. Been married to them for over 41 years. That's carrying less weight all the time, though.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Mom says paramedics asked whether daughter could afford $600 bill https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mo ... rd-n896071

Hey Vrede, do you confirm payment before transport?

It looks like the sheriff's department and the fire department union thinks it's okay. After all, we wouldn't want anyone "steamrolled" because they failed to do their job.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:55 am
Mom says paramedics asked whether daughter could afford $600 bill https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mo ... rd-n896071

Hey Vrede, do you confirm payment before transport?

It looks like the sheriff's department and the fire department union thinks it's okay. After all, we wouldn't want anyone "steamrolled" because they failed to do their job.
Other than a couple of ride-alongs I haven't been on ambulances. Some thoughts from my extensive experience with them in ERs:

The only times that I know of when payment has to be assured prior to transport is when a stable patient is being transported back to a nursing home or assisted living. I believe the thinking is that these facilities can and should handle transport if there's no need for an ambulance.

I don't know if ambulances have to transport all other patients, but I hope they do either by law or policy. It doesn't look like the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA), which mandates hospital emergency care regardless of ability to pay and prevents patient dumping, applies to ambulances.

I have definitely seen tons of patients with no ability to pay brought in by ambulance for ridiculously minor stuff.

You have to wonder if race played a role in this - either actual racism or a cultural misunderstanding.

It sounds like the patient appeared somewhat stable if she "screamed and begged them to take her to the hospital."

It sounds like the initial call out was for help down the stairs. If so, it's legit for the medics to ask whether ambulance or private vehicle transport is desired.

It is reasonable for the medics to explain the costs of a 3 block ride. This is for the patient and family's benefit, not the medics or the ambulance service. It sounds like the medics did a poor job of explaining that ability to pay does NOT affect whether she would be transported by ambulance. I would blame them entirely for this. It is their job to communicate clearly with stressed patients and families.

The deputies should have kept their big mouths shut on medical and billing matters.

Given that the patient "was able to walk toward a stair chair and be taken downstairs with the paramedics' assistance," I'm pretty sure that going by private vehicle did NOT lead to the tragic outcome. One caveat to this: ambulance patients almost always go straight to an ER bed. IF the triage nurse did not do so with this patient, harm MAY have been done. However, that would be on the hospital, not the medics.

It sounds like the family chose private vehicle transport. I don't know for sure, but this may explain not taking vitals, etc. Help down stairs is free, but it may be that they have to charge for any care like checking vitals.

Questions?
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 pm
In case you thought that you are having a bad day:

Massive iceberg looms off Greenland coast, threatening tiny village (with tsunami)

I wish that ice berg would float into my workplace.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:22 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:45 am
rstrong wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:46 am

after Erin in 95 we found quite a few minnow size fish scattered around the yard. some were still alive
Something fishy about that!
Who would lie about a fish?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:27 am
Who would lie about a fish?
Ummm, only every angler ever. :P They're worse than GOP POTUS candidates discussing size. :o
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

This is being built along side the existing 3.5 mile bridge I cross several times a week. Tug boats moving 30+ cranes and pile drivers around. It's been fun to watch for about a year now, gonna really be screwed up when they take out 2 lanes of the existing bridge to finish the first span of the new one.

http://www.pensacolabaybridge.com/overview

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Berlin airport terminal closes after sex toys mistaken for bomb

Berlin's Schönefeld Airport was partially closed on Wednesday after various sex toys were spotted on an X-ray machine by security personnel and mistaken for parts of a bomb.
They just wanted a closer look.
CNN reports that the items' owner, who was not present for his bag's initial inspection, was summoned by airport staff over a loudspeaker and the airport's D terminal was closed over the incident.
Would the owner of the suitcase with the bomb parts please come to the security office.
Various sex toys, including a vibrator, were mistaken for "suspicious content in a luggage piece," federal police told CNN.
Codpiece in the luggage piece?
The man was initially embarrassed by the predicament and was unwilling to explain the purpose of the devices for about an hour, CNN reported....
One by one, in detail. It's not rocket surgery, but I would still love to see the transcript.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:54 pm
Berlin airport terminal closes after sex toys mistaken for bomb

Berlin's Schönefeld Airport was partially closed on Wednesday after various sex toys were spotted on an X-ray machine by security personnel and mistaken for parts of a bomb.
They just wanted a closer look.
CNN reports that the items' owner, who was not present for his bag's initial inspection, was summoned by airport staff over a loudspeaker and the airport's D terminal was closed over the incident.
Would the owner of the suitcase with the bomb parts please come to the security office.
Various sex toys, including a vibrator, were mistaken for "suspicious content in a luggage piece," federal police told CNN.
Codpiece in the luggage piece?
The man was initially embarrassed by the predicament and was unwilling to explain the purpose of the devices for about an hour, CNN reported....
One by one, in detail. It's not rocket surgery, but I would still love to see the transcript.
Your fault for reminding me of this story.

I was standing in line at the one hour photo place a long long time ago. The mother and two little girls behind me were watching the prints as they moved along a conveyor to be dropped into a stack. It was quite a fascinating lesson for the girls as the mother sort of explained the process, until she looked the other way, they screamed for mommy and mommy looked back at the conveyor, now filled with every shot imaginable of a naked red headed man.
She screamed, pulled the girls away, the management covered the photos, the woman whirled around back and forth (maybe looking for assistance) until her mouth falls open and she begins screaming and pointing as the red headed man himself as he comes in the door, "It's you, it's him, there he is ...", she screams

Red left the store, I don't know if he picked up his photos.