Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:55 am
So weird that you are celebrating getting caught pushing right wing bullshit.
Good point, thanks.
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:55 pm
... In fact:

Mother says son was suspended for calling teacher ‘cute'
Dec 2, 2011

Then:

9-Year-Old’s Suspension For Calling Teacher ‘Cute’ Overturned, Principal Resigns
12/07/2011

So, "a seven nine-year-old boy" CAN'T "be thrown out of suspended for two days from school for saying his teacher (or a little female classmate) is 'cute'," anyone that tries is forced to resign.

A dumb thing happened, mom complained, an investigation was immediately launched, the dumb thing was rescinded and severe, arguably extreme, consequences were imposed, all in less than a week. I don't know about "geniuses", but the folks running Gaston County Schools certainly weren't "idiots."

Point cowered from.

The original compiler of this list appears to be Fritz Edmunds, who posted it to his “Politically True” blog back on 3 February 2013

14 months after the incident he lied about it. Do you think there might be an intentionally deceptive anti-school/anti-diversity agenda here? Still successful 5 1/2 years later.

Point cowered from.

Maybe I've watched too many crime dramas over the decades, but in all of them - good cops to horrible ones - they all seem to know to investigate further when something seems patently outrageous. I guess that's just unrealistic Hollywood, right Leo Lyons? Or, is it not that you somehow found the original story but somehow didn't see the followup that popped up for me right away? Hmmm.

Point and questions cowered from.

Anyhow, all this reminds me of:

Liberals Don’t Share or Believe Fake News As Much As Right-Wingers, Study Finds (article)

Polarization, Partisanship and Junk News Consumption over Social Media in the US (study)

Fritz Edmunds knows his audience.

Aside: "Chiquita Lockett" :wtf:
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:35 pm
Wow Captain Genius, what part of " (the boy was 9, not 7)" did you miss?

Wow, Agent Genius, what part of, "The original compiler of this list appears to be Fritz Edmunds (at least the 3rd time that I've mentioned it)," did you miss?

Don't be such a defensive and delicate crybaby. We can all see that you acknowledged the age flub (and only the age flub) and we all know that it's Fritz Edmunds' sentence, not yours. I couldn't very well correct the 4 other lies/omissions/errors he wrote/shared 14 months after the incident without also correcting that one.
Vrede too wrote:I've learned with certain people to double check whenever no link nor source is provided.
Point cowered from.

Should have read:
"I've learned with certain people to double check whenever no link nor source is provided;
then I can prove myself to be the "uber"-asshole that everyone already knows I am.
" :lol: :lol: You own it! :toothy: :toothy: :violent:
Got it, my noticing that you swallowed lies about our schools, shared the lies, featured the lies again, were too lazy, inept and/or dishonest to do uber-simple research on the lies, and then went out of your way to defend the lies with only part of the story somehow makes me the "uber-asshole". Sheeesh, what a brittle ego you have when you screw up, snowflake. So, what's the new whiny label going to be for my now noticing that you have cowered from all of this?

The moral of the story is: People CAN make this shit up.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Common and frequent series of events:

1. Poster puts up list/paste-up/image with the primary intent of "getting a rise" out of fellow posters.
2. Forum members respond with alternate views.
3. Original poster begins to identify with posting and defend them.
4. Forum members criticize original poster for defending ummmm, "erroneous" posting.
5. Original poster feels personal insult but doesn't disavow original ummmm, "erroneous" posting.
6. Discussion on the point of the original posting degenerates to personal characterizations.

I'm guessing there's probably some way to exit the vicious circle. Might be around #3, if it were me. I'd just toss the author/creator of the original content under the bus and move on.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:20 am
Common and frequent series of events:

1. Poster puts up list/paste-up/image with the primary intent of "getting a rise" out of fellow posters.
2. Forum members respond with alternate views.
3. Original poster begins to identify with posting and defend them.
4. Forum members criticize original poster for defending ummmm, "erroneous" posting.
5. Original poster feels personal insult but doesn't disavow original ummmm, "erroneous" posting.
6. Discussion on the point of the original posting degenerates to personal characterizations.

I'm guessing there's probably some way to exit the vicious circle. Might be around #3, if it were me. I'd just toss the author/creator of the original content under the bus and move on.
7. Original poster is elected POTUS.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:15 am
Wow, Agent Genius, what part of, "The original compiler of this list appears to be Fritz Edmunds (at least the 3rd time that I've mentioned it)," did you miss?
Wow, Uber-Genius, what part of my original post where I wrote "Often attributed to Jeff Foxworthy, but actually first published by Fritz Edmunds" did you miss? Or were you so intent in attempting to convince the others to believe you've put me on uber-ignore, and that you thought they would be so naive to believe you didn't read my post, and that's why you've posted what I had already revealed? Duh. Don't be such a defensive and delicate crybaby, now; 'fess up.
Vrede too wrote:
Which Fritz probably did; partially. I believe, as a conservative, he wrote it as humor to get a screeching rise out of the Liberals; it worked! :lol:
I wish he could read the comments here; he'd be pleased with the results! :lol: :lol:
O Really wrote:
I'm guessing there's probably some way to exit the vicious circle. I'd just toss .... the content under the bus and move on.
You're right; I'm tiring of it myself.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Celebrating? Caught? (but you're not a liberal, remember? so weird how you lie!)

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wow, Uber-Genius, what part of my original post where I wrote "Often attributed to Jeff Foxworthy, but actually first published by Fritz Edmunds" did you miss? Or were you so intent in attempting to convince the others to believe you've put me on uber-ignore, and that you thought they would be so naive to believe you didn't read my post, and that's why you've posted what I had already revealed? Duh. Don't be such a defensive and delicate crybaby, now; 'fess up.
Vrede too wrote:
Which Fritz probably did; partially. I believe, as a conservative, he wrote it as humor to get a screeching rise out of the Liberals; it worked! :lol:
I wish he could read the comments here; he'd be pleased with the results! :lol: :lol:
O Really wrote:
I'm guessing there's probably some way to exit the vicious circle. I'd just toss .... the content under the bus and move on.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Celebrating? Caught? (but you're not a liberal, remember? so weird how you lie!)

Celebrating - yep, that's what you did.

Caught? - yep, all the vs was refuted.

Me lie? No way. Although, I am very much a conservative, I realized long ago that things like fiscal responsibility come from the dems.

I also harbor other seemingly conservative ideas, such as taking care of those who are unable to care for themselves, a strong dislike for war - especially for profit wars, and protecting our environment for future generations.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Leo Lyons wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Wow, Uber-Genius,

"Genius" of any sort compared to you is nothing for me to brag about.

what part of myoriginal post where I wrote "Often attributed to Jeff Foxworthy, but actually first published by Fritz Edmunds" did you miss?

Are you really this stupid or just this desperate when you're floundering? I posted that sentence in order to explain that my correction of seven to nine was NOT blaming you but rather Fritz Edmunds, as I already made CLEAR. ESL much? He is entirely responsible for the original lies. You are just responsible for everything you did with them, whether you ever man-up about it or not.

Or were you so intent in attempting to convince the others to believe you've put me on uber-ignore,

What is "uber-ignore"? banni, some forum option that I've missed?

and that you thought they would be so naive to believe you didn't read my post, and that's why you've posted what I had already revealed? Duh. Don't be such a defensive and delicate crybaby, now; 'fess up.

You're just babbling now. billy.pilgrim had quoted you crediting Fritz Edmunds way back on page 50. I only mentioned him again this round to show that the lies you swallowed whole were posted 14 months after the incident. Is this all about your humiliation over his duping you so thoroughly and you're just taking it out on me?

Mr.B used to be positive that I was reading all of his posts, too. You both are idiots that have way too high an estimation of your importance in my life. I'm only in this tangent at all because others quoted you and I saw how really, really stupid you were being, but I have no need to search out even more episodes of it.
Vrede too wrote:

No, he wanted to rile up and entertain perpetual victim cons, we lefties aren't his audience. YOU have been claiming all along that he was telling truths and then going to idiotic lengths to defend him. Your projection is pitiful.

We, otoh, have known it was and said it was ALL stupidity from the get-go, something to mock, not get angry over.

Yep, duping you morons into believing and defending him for 5 1/2 years.
O Really wrote:

Tired of being shown to be such an incompetent fool? I don't blame you. As O Really says and you cower from, you should have quit around Step #3. Not doing so is all on you, though we appreciate its entertainment value.
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Celebrating? Caught?

Yep, you somehow and stupidly claimed that your detailed debunking was some sort of victory over me.

(but you're not a liberal, remember? so weird how you lie!)

You think that the only alternative to "right wing" is "liberal"? That's dumb. Take a middle school PoliSci class and then grow a pair and apologize to billy.pilgrim for calling him a liar.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:

[/quote]

Understood. But once the "screeching rise" has occurred, it's time to laugh and walk away. Once you're actually defending stuff that was posted just to get a screeching rise, you pretty much join the tin-foil crew.

However, I agree with Vrede that most content of this type isn't written and passed around to rile up the left - it's to reinforce right-wing anti-government beliefs. The writers don't expect, and don't want anybody to check up on the statements. They just want them to run to the barricades to help bash the damgummint.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 pm
I am very much a conservative, I realized long ago that things like fiscal responsibility come from the dems.
OK, I apologize; I'm sorry. It's just that so many of your postings smack of solid liberal overtones.

I also harbor other seemingly conservative ideas, such as taking care of those who are unable to care for themselves, a strong dislike for war -
especially for profit wars, and protecting our environment for future generations.
I tend to lean a bit liberal, but more so conservatively, as I have the same ideas as you do. I don't like politicians of either political party. Having worked for the gov, I've seen too much lying and dishonesty from people I would have thought I could trust with my life. The main goal in mind of so many in public office is the betterment of personal wealth, and screw everybody else at all costs. F**k 'em, nobody gets my vote or support anymore.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:22 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Understood. But once the "screeching rise" has occurred, it's time to laugh and walk away. Once you're actually defending stuff that was posted just to get a screeching rise, you pretty much join the tin-foil crew.
However, I agree with Vrede that most content of this type isn't written and passed around to rile up the left - it's to reinforce right-wing anti-government beliefs. The writers don't expect, and don't want anybody to check up on the statements. They just want them to run to the barricades to help bash the damgummint.
My original intent in posting the thread was because I found it funny; and I didn't totally agree with every item; however, when you all got all riled up, I began taking closer looks at each line, and I did find statements that made sense; therefore I defended some of them.

I realize everyone has differing opinions, and it was truly funny watching you three rigorously debunk any opinions I had in favor of the statements.
OK, we've had our fun, we've called out offensive names, each has made their point ---- it's time to laugh and walk away before we really get to hating one another.
Vrede too wrote:What is "uber-ignore"? banni, some forum option that I've missed?
Hell, don't ask me; you are the only one who uses the word.I thought it was some new form of forum talk that you discovered that was supposed to make me sound smart like you; either that or you're hinting you've gone driving an Uber. You said it was uber easy to ignore me, so naturally I thought I'd been "uber-ignored".
(fwiw, I did a forum search on the word "uber", and there's 15 more words you've attached to the word "uber" ... so you tell us what it means) :lol: :lol:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

uber-
ˈo͞obər/
combining form
denoting an outstanding or supreme example of a particular kind of person or thing.
"an uberbabe"

adverb
having the specified property to an extreme or excessive degree; very:
an uber fancy restaurant.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:14 am
uber-
ˈo͞obər/
combining form
denoting an outstanding or supreme example of a particular kind of person or thing.
"an uberbabe"

adverb
having the specified property to an extreme or excessive degree; very:
an uber fancy restaurant.
:lol: :lol: Thanks! You nailed it!
Your dollar from "that supreme example of a particular kind of person with the extreme or excessive degree" is in the mail....I'm sure! :lol: :lol:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:30 am

I use to feel the same way - it's just a goddamn historical statue.

I was wrong.

I still believe that the men themselves were "great men" in the general sense that we acknowledge a man as great, but that has nothing to do with why the statues were erected (Jim crow), or what a large percentage of our citizenry sees when they walk through these public spaces.

Put them in museums with descriptions of the men themselves and with additional descriptions of why the statues were erected and why they were taken down.

Statues come and go - remember all the fake fanfare when we pulled down Saddam's statue?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 am
Statues come and go - remember all the fake fanfare when we pulled down Saddam's statue?
Yes I do. Time moved on and people today are saying "remember when we pulled down Saddam's statue?"
Nothing was accomplished. Fake fanfare is right.

O Really
Admiral

Putting up a statue may represent what is honored at the time of installation. Keeping a statue represents what is honored now. So there's a really nice Mary Tyler Moore statue in Minneapolis where "Mary" is tossing her hat in the air. MTM is honored for her work and for herself as a person. Now suppose it turned out MTM baked and ate children in her basement. You suppose we'd keep the statue since "other than the child-eating" she was really great?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:13 pm
Wow, Agent Genius...
"Genius" of any sort compared to you is nothing for me to brag about...
Are you really this stupid or just this desperate when you're floundering? ...
whether you ever man-up about it or not...
Don't be such a defensive and delicate crybaby...
You're just babbling now...
Is this all about your humiliation...
you're just taking it out on me?...
Mr.B used to be positive that I was reading all of his posts, too...
You both are idiots...
I saw how really, really stupid you were being...
Your projection is pitiful...
Yep, duping you morons into believing and defending him...
Tired of being shown to be such an incompetent fool? ...
you somehow and stupidly claimed...
That's dumb...
grow a pair...
Our Insult Queen is so efficient! I discovered his identity! :lol: :lol:

Image :lol: :lol: :toothy: :toothy: :toothy:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Leo Lyons wrote:
(Waa waa waa)
Only slaver/traitor lovers would be f@cking stupid enough to start and utterly lose street battles over pathetic participation trophies from a civil war they also got crushed in, instead of just holding bake sales, clearing the junk from in front of their trailers and putting their pathetic participation trophies on private land rather than sponging off we decent Americans.
911, what’s your emergency?
Someone moved my pathetic participation trophies. :cry: :cry: :cry:
FTFY.
billy.pilgrim wrote:

I was wrong.

I still believe that the men themselves were "great men" in the general sense that we acknowledge a man as great, but that has nothing to do with why the statues were erected (Jim crow), or what a large percentage of our citizenry sees when they walk through these public spaces.

Put them in museums with descriptions of the men themselves and with additional descriptions of why the statues were erected and why they were taken down.

Or add statues/plaques/whatever to put into context the fact that no matter how great these men were as individuals, they acted in service to what was NOT a great and "Noble Cause". That's what the crybaby bigots are really terrified of, not "losing history" but rather it being related accurately for future generations of ALL colors.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 am
Putting up a statue may represent what is honored at the time of installation. Keeping a statue represents what is honored now. So there's a really nice Mary Tyler Moore statue in Minneapolis where "Mary" is tossing her hat in the air. MTM is honored for her work and for herself as a person. Now suppose it turned out MTM baked and ate children in her basement. You suppose we'd keep the statue since "other than the child-eating" she was really great?
Coming soon to a forum near you: Old white racists of a feather stick together.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
(Waa waa waa)
Only slaver/traitor lovers would be f@cking stupid enough to start and utterly lose street battles over pathetic participation trophies from a civil war they also got crushed in, instead of just holding bake sales, clearing the junk from in front of their trailers and putting their pathetic participation trophies on private land rather than sponging off we decent Americans.
911, what’s your emergency?
Someone moved my pathetic participation trophies. :cry: :cry: :cry:
FTFY.
billy.pilgrim wrote:

I was wrong.

Or add statues/plaques/whatever to put into context the fact that no matter how great these men were as individuals, they acted in service to what was NOT a great and "Noble Cause". That's what the crybaby bigots are really terrified of, not "losing history" but rather it being related accurately for future generations of ALL colors.

I think you either misunderstand patriotism or are trying to inject 21th century understandings on 19th century people.

The South did secede largely because of slavery, but the War, from the North’s (invader) side, was much more about secession.

I can almost imagine the results of the poll question – do you support freeing all slaves? – probably wouldn’t have met with overwhelming support in New York or Chicago. And imagine that the results would have been even less if the question had included – if it means raising your taxes, or if it means your city will experience an influx of these black people and just imagine how low the polling would have been if the question included – if you or your sons had to fight and risk death.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:03 am
I think you either misunderstand patriotism or are trying to inject 21th century understandings on 19th century people.

The South did secede largely because of slavery, but the War, from the North’s (invader) side, was much more about secession.

I can almost imagine the results of the poll question – do you support freeing all slaves? – probably wouldn’t have met with overwhelming support in New York or Chicago. And imagine that the results would have been even less if the question had included – if it means raising your taxes, or if it means your city will experience an influx of these black people and just imagine how low the polling would have been if the question included – if you or your sons had to fight and risk death.
I agree, but how to depict the North is a whole different discussion. My post was only meant to be about removing or putting in context the "Noble Cause"/pro-Jim Crow intent of the slaver/traitor statues.

To pick just one example, Lincoln is portrayed as our greatest president, a wise man entirely forced by circumstances to fight a war that ended up freeing the slaves. I can't be quite so uncritically absolutist. To me, a great and wise president would have found some option other than 600K dead Americans and bitterness that stays with us to this day. Of course, this same exact criticism applies to the CSA he fought, maybe even more so since southerners ended up suffering more.

Fwiw, what Lincoln could have or should have done differently would be for a better historian than me to say, in case anyone was thinking of asking.
1312. ETTD.