Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by rstrong »

This is probably that largest number of people who have ever signed up for Equifax credit monitoring at one time.

Given that many will forget or won't make the effort to cancel, I wonder how much profit Equifax will make from their empty gesture when they start invoicing those folks after the year is up.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I've always referred to those as "placebo buttons" and never really expected any results. Apparently the author agrees:

"There is a silver lining to these non-functioning crosswalk buttons, however. Research has found that even if the buttons don’t do anything, the “illusion” of control they give actually can actually help people feel calmer."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:22 am
I've always referred to those as "placebo buttons" and never really expected any results. Apparently the author agrees:

"There is a silver lining to these non-functioning crosswalk buttons, however. Research has found that even if the buttons don’t do anything, the “illusion” of control they give actually can actually help people feel calmer."
I didn't know that un-calm street crossers were a thing. I wonder if there's any evidence that fake buttons reduce jaywalking.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:08 am

I wonder if there's any evidence that fake buttons reduce jaywalking.
Good question. One would think they might, but I'm inclined to think that any given person is more likely to jaywalk depending more on the traffic than the light. I'm thinking the tendency to jaywalk is more a personality issue than a light issue.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:08 am
O Really wrote:

I didn't know that un-calm street crossers were a thing. I wonder if there's any evidence that fake buttons reduce jaywalking.
there should be another study to see if it calms drivers if they have to push a button at intersections.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's all so old school. There should be video of pastoral scenes or audio 'Oms'.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:
The button to cross the main drag near me isn't placebo. While it won't speed up the wait, it DOES give pedestrians more time to cross eight lanes of traffic.
O Really wrote:
Traffic lights are instructive for those of us writing software user interfaces. A driver will wait at stop sign waiting for a break in traffic for ____ seconds before they do something stupid. But they'll wait twice as long at a red light before they do something stupid, because they know their turn is coming.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

People Are Going Hog Wild Over A Monstrous Wild Boar Dubbed 'Pigzilla'

The internet has its newest cult hero.

A massive wild boar dubbed “Pigzilla” was caught on video in Hong Kong going through some trash near a school, according to CBS News. The network reports that boars as big as 450 pounds are commonly seen in the hills around Hong Kong, and some come into the city looking for food....
I vote Pigzilla for the Westminster Dog Show
If there isn’t a band named Pigzilla by noon tomorrow then rock really is dead.
We regret to inform you Pigzilla actually has pretty woke opinions and volunteers to help in nursing homes.
The Pigzilla will be our last hope and saviour against the sentient dog robots
Comments:
Bet there is someone who's thinking "that'll make a fine emotional support animal to take on a plane"
Pigzilla may look like 450+ pounds, but he's actually a very lean, athletic 239. And that is solid muscle. Believe me.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Pigzilla will be our last hope and saviour against the sentient dog robots

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.s ... inner.html
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:34 pm
rstrong wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:34 am
Follow-up:

Reuters: Exclusive: U.S. consumer protection official puts Equifax probe on ice - sources

Mick Mulvaney, the former loan-shark lobbyist who killed plans to regulate payday lenders after being appointed chief of the Consumer Finance Protection Board, won't punish Equifax for setting up 145 million Americans - plus a large number of Canadians - for identity theft.

Apparently it's good enough that Equifax offered free credit monitoring for a year - in return for giving up any right to sue - despite the victims' information being available to thieves for the rest of their lives.
USA! USA! USA!
Stand with Sen. Warren: Crack down on credit reporting companies like Equifax (Petition to Congress)
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:
rstrong wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:47 pm
Former Equifax CEO Richard Smith collects $90M for his last year of outstanding work
Equifax CEO Richard Smith announced his voluntary retirement yesterday, two months after the catastrophic breach that permanently leaked 140,000,000 Americans' most compromising financial data.

Today, we learn what his exit package amounts to: $90,000,000.
Follow-up:

Reuters: Exclusive: U.S. consumer protection official puts Equifax probe on ice - sources

Mick Mulvaney, the former loan-shark lobbyist who killed plans to regulate payday lenders after being appointed chief of the Consumer Finance Protection Board, won't punish Equifax for setting up 145 million Americans - plus a large number of Canadians - for identity theft.

Apparently it's good enough that Equifax offered free credit monitoring for a year - in return for giving up any right to sue - despite the victims' information being available to thieves for the rest of their lives.
Gizmodo: House Democrats Join Everyone Else in Letting Equifax Off Easy for Catastrophic Hack

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

rstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:34 am
rstrong wrote:
rstrong wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:47 pm
Former Equifax CEO Richard Smith collects $90M for his last year of outstanding work
Equifax CEO Richard Smith announced his voluntary retirement yesterday, two months after the catastrophic breach that permanently leaked 140,000,000 Americans' most compromising financial data.

Today, we learn what his exit package amounts to: $90,000,000.
Follow-up:

Gizmodo: House Democrats Join Everyone Else in Letting Equifax Off Easy for Catastrophic Hack
Surprising no one. Money talks.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 pm
To be fair, no one wants to be on the bad side of Equifax. ;)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 pm
Equifax finds additional 2.4 million impacted by 2017 breach

... In total, roughly 147.9 million Americans have been impacted by Equifax's data breach. It remains the largest data breach of personal information in history....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Jerome says that Fat Tony had his throat slit by a 13 year old male prostitute at a pedophile hunting ranch.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/jero ... ign=bestof

"there is “evidence that can’t be dismissed out of hand” that the late Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia was murdered by a male child while visiting a “pedophilia ranch.”

but Michael Savage says that Obama did the deed

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/mich ... in-scalia/

"The National Enquirer’s report, Savage said, must be true since they haven’t been sued for libel. He said that other media outlets haven’t run with the tabloid’s article because the media is working for Obama"

As Jerome proves by decoding the Obama portrait

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/jero ... gaging-in/

It’s a very physical reference to loss of virginity … This whole elite globalist pedophilia is a major theme that Q continues to remind us underlies a lot of these globalists that we are dealing with. The fact that they are sitting on flowers and the deflowering could be easily an image of the pedophilia that they’re engaging in or the slavery pedophilia, you know, tend your gardens everybody, their slave gardens.”

A final question from the right - pedophiles are everywhere, what will we do?

Their answer appears to be, Think about pedophiles all the time.

“So Schiff has now exposed himself as being examined for his background and his shady dealings and his deep involvement,” Corsi declared, explaining that Schiff’s opposition to Trump has opened him up to investigations that will now uncover “the underlying pedophilia.”

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/jero ... edophilia/
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I have a sudden craving for pizza.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Lowering the Bar: New Assault Charges for Rogue Canadian Golfer Who Tried to Escape on Ice Floe

I'm disappointed that this was in Moncton, New Brunswick. It would be the most Winnipeg crime spree ever.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:19 pm
Lowering the Bar: New Assault Charges for Rogue Canadian Golfer Who Tried to Escape on Ice Floe

I'm disappointed that this was in Moncton, New Brunswick. It would be the most Winnipeg crime spree ever.
likely already in the Fla. Man thread, but since the link is in the ice flow getaway article I'll post it here

"a lone male pedaling the boat dressed only in boxer shorts, and the boat appear to be taking on water." Deputies enlist a local pontoon-boat owner to pursue the man attempting to flee in a sinking pedal boat, who is captured after what was likely one of the slowest and least-exciting police pursuits since authorities in New Jersey pulled over that drunken Zamboni driver.
"We've had suspects try to jump in the water before," said a police spokesman, "but never before have I seen a pedal boat used as a means of [attempted] escape."
Link: St. Petersburg Times(at tampabay.com)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.