Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by O Really »

Whether the noise barrier would have an effect on property value is probably going to depend on where the property is in relation to the barrier. If you're a block away, or if there's some open space between the barrier and where the house start, it probably would help. If your house is in the perpetual shadow of being next to a giant wall, then not so much.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:26 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:45 am
Here in Florida we used taxpayer money to close interstate bridges and create traffic jams so friends of jeb could widen the bridges by 12 inches.
I heard there was a similar incident in New Jersey a couple of years ago. Got downright nasty about it, they did!

These days our Medicare defrauder governor is planting palm trees and building real pretty 20 ft high concrete walls with cast embossing type scenes of wind blown tropical plants along our interstates.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Not sure why I can't find the finished wall with all the pretty castings and stick on Blue Angles

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

Here it is under construction - after there destroyed the bushes and tree sound barriers
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:35 am
Whether the noise barrier would have an effect on property value is probably going to depend on where the property is in relation to the barrier. If you're a block away, or if there's some open space between the barrier and where the house start, it probably would help. If your house is in the perpetual shadow of being next to a giant wall, then not so much.

But if you knowingly bought the cheap house that backs up to the noisy interstate - You get to party on other people's money.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2018/02/ ... 009321001/

The pretty pictures are near the end

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
... If your house is in the perpetual shadow

Wouldn't that be impossible if the wall is just on one side of your home? Maaaybe in the winter for those very close to the north side of a very rare (besides I-10) east-west FL interstate. A 20 foot wall doesn't cast a very long shadow, and there's usually a local road on the non-freeway side of a wall.

of being next to a giant wall, then not so much.

Good for the AC bill, though. :D
I don't think it would bother me, except for the cost billy.pilgrim mentions. I would paint something cool on my side of the wall and get my sunshine at the nearest park/beach/lake/cafe/stadium revival meeting.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:54 am
O Really wrote:
... If your house is in the perpetual shadow

Wouldn't that be impossible if the wall is just on one side of your home? Maaaybe in the winter for those very close to the north side of a very rare (besides I-10) east-west FL interstate. A 20 foot wall doesn't cast a very long shadow, and there's usually a local road on the non-freeway side of a wall.

of being next to a giant wall, then not so much.

Good for the AC bill, though. :D
I don't think it would bother me, except for the cost billy.pilgrim mentions. I would paint something cool on my side of the wall and get my sunshine at the nearest park/beach/lake/cafe/stadium revival meeting.

You can call me Billy dot

O Really
Admiral

I'm basing my "perpetual shadow" on an admittedly limited personal viewing. I once managed to get myself a little lost in a neighborhood that ended against a wall. The houses close to it would theoretically have morning sun from the East, but there were trees along the street and yard. And once past noonish, it would always be shadow. Anyway, it looked pretty bleak to me. The height makes such a difference over being behind an 8-ft wall, for example.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:31 am
e]

People in big cities are a miserable lot period--generally, no help required. :toothy:
I've known a lot that aren't. Maybe you just need to hang around with different people.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 am
I'm basing my "perpetual shadow" on an admittedly limited personal viewing. I once managed to get myself a little lost in a neighborhood that ended against a wall. The houses close to it would theoretically have morning sun from the East, but there were trees along the street and yard. And once past noonish, it would always be shadow. Anyway, it looked pretty bleak to me. The height makes such a difference over being behind an 8-ft wall, for example.
I suppose every situation is different, but I would trade a lot for noise reduction. Past a certain level I'd never hang out in the yard, anyhow.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:05 am
You can call me Billy dot
I could just go with the surname military-style, Dot. :P Nttawwt.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 am
As is widely discussed, plastic water bottles are a horrendous pollutant, and entirely unnecessary in a nation with good tap water, widespread jugged home water delivery, and affordable home and personal water filter technology. Good on CA or anyone else that’s working to reduce plastic water bottles...

I guess it’s our fault for getting “bent out of sorts” when it turns out that Leo Lyons was lying when he posted, “I agree with the statements”. No reason to expect serious, mature discussion here.
Demand supermarkets reduce plastic packaging!
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

OK, you all have had a field day with the plastic straws and bottles, the field trip and aspirins, and the ID cards thingys, and the the gun magazines, so I'll delete those statements that offended you all so much. Now that we're down to the real sh*t, let's hear some real outcries over what you didn't touch: (these are my favorites, billydot)

You might live in a nation that is run by idiots.....

If, in the nation's largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not one 24-ounce soda, because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat —

If an 80-year-old woman who is confined to a wheelchair or a three-year-old girl can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched

If a seven-year-old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher (or a little female classmate) is "cute", but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable

If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government regulation and intrusion while not working is rewarded with Food Stamps, WIC checks, Medicaid benefits, subsidized housing, and free cell phones

If you pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big-screen TV, while your neighbor buys iPhones, time shares, a wall-sized do-it-all TV and new cars, and the government forgives his debt when he defaults on his mortgage

If being stripped of your Constitutional right to defend yourself makes you more "safe" according to the government

If the only school curriculum allowed to explain how we got here is evolution, but your government stops a $15 million construction project to keep a rare spider from evolving to extinction

If your government believes that using steroids or other drugs will ruin your life, but throwing you in prison for years will not

If children are forcibly removed from parents who discipline them with spankings while children of addicts are put in filth and drug infested “homes” …

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:11 pm
OK, you all have had a field day with the plastic straws and bottles, the field trip and aspirins, and the ID cards thingys, and the the gun magazines, so I'll delete those statements that offended you all so much. Now that we're down to the real sh*t, let's hear some real outcries over what you didn't touch: (these are my favorites, billydot)

You might live in a nation that is run by idiots.....

If, in the nation's largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not one 24-ounce soda, because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat —Already commented

If an 80-year-old woman who is confined to a wheelchair or a three-year-old girl can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched, then she's protected by the First Amendment of the Constitution for religion that doesn't apply to the old lady and the kid. And yes, I think it's ridiculous to provide religious exemptions for regular security precautions, and yet, it's still there.

If a seven-year-old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher (or a little female classmate) is "cute", but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable I'd like to see some documentation that it actually happened, but even if it did, the difference is that the kid is engaging in an individual conversation with another person and saying something impolite. Could have said she's "ugly" and had the same result. Could have said "yo mamma is a ho" and had the same result. The class is part of an approved curriculum on a subject important in current culture.

If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government regulation and intrusion while not working is rewarded with Food Stamps, WIC checks, Medicaid benefits, subsidized housing, and free cell phones "Higher taxes" are part of the "reward" only if that success has also brought higher income. And government regulations aren't created directly as a result of someone's success. And many who do in fact work hard don't make enough not to be eligible for some government benefits. Hard work may sometimes be necessary for success, but does not guarantee it. Any time the "successful" person with high taxes and regulations wants to trade lives with the guy with all the wonderful "giveaways" I'm sure it can be done. And besides, the "free cell phones" were largely a myth, or at least a significant distortion.

If you pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big-screen TV, while your neighbor buys iPhones, time shares, a wall-sized do-it-all TV and new cars, and the government forgives his debt when he defaults on his mortgage No known record of this ever happening as described.

If being stripped of your Constitutional right to defend yourself makes you more "safe" according to the government No such assumption has ever been put forth, nor has there ever been any effort to strip anyone of the right to defend. Well, sure, you can't "defend" yourself with a 50-calibre machine gun, you just have to choose another weapon.

If the only school curriculum allowed to explain how we got here is evolution, but your government stops a $15 million construction project to keep a rare spider from evolving to extinction False assumption, no correlation.

If your government believes that using steroids or other drugs will ruin your life, but throwing you in prison for years will not I'd like to see some documentation that the government doesn't believe being thrown in prison for year won't ruin your life. I'm pretty sure everybody recognizes that, even if you also believe some recovery can be made.

If children are forcibly removed from parents who discipline them with spankings while children of addicts are put in filth and drug infested “homes” False equivalency …

Again, they all have faulty assumptions, faulty premise, illogical relationships, and misleading conclusions. Look, humour doesn't have to be true, accurate, or logical. Many jokes (starting with "a priest and an elephant walked into a bar...") aren't real. Problem with this and similar lists is that they're passed around to and by people without the willingness or ability to know it's not at least fundamentally real, and as such, contributes to collective ignorance and people thinking a Trump-type "leader" is a good thing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

What O Really says, plus:
O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:49 am
If an 80-year-old woman who is confined to a wheelchair or a three-year-old girl can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched, then she's protected by the First Amendment of the Constitution for religion that doesn't apply to the old lady and the kid. And yes, I think it's ridiculous to provide religious exemptions for regular security precautions, and yet, it's still there.

It's a lie. Burka or hijab wearers are subject to the same procedures as anyone, they just can't be profiled because they're wearing a burka or hijab, and they can assert the same rights re privacy, limited searches, same gender officer, etc. as anyone.

If a seven-year-old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher (or a little female classmate) is "cute", but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable I'd like to see some documentation that it actually happened, but even if it did, the difference is that the kid is engaging in an individual conversation with another person and saying something impolite. Could have said she's "ugly" and had the same result. Could have said "yo mamma is a ho" and had the same result. The class is part of an approved curriculum on a subject important in current culture.

There's no such thing as "sexual exploration" class in grade school. Bigots have always hated diversity and education on it. Tough.

If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government regulation and intrusion while not working is rewarded with Food Stamps, WIC checks, Medicaid benefits, subsidized housing, and free cell phones "Higher taxes" are part of the "reward" only if that success has also brought higher income. And government regulations aren't created directly as a result of someone's success. And many who do in fact work hard don't make enough not to be eligible for some government benefits. Hard work may sometimes be necessary for success, but does not guarantee it. Any time the "successful" person with high taxes and regulations wants to trade lives with the guy with all the wonderful "giveaways" I'm sure it can be done. And besides, the "free cell phones" were largely a myth, or at least a significant distortion.

The wealthy pay a lower effective tax rate, in many cases lower than some on government assistance when all taxes are taken into account.

Food Stamps are as much a subsidy to farmers as they are to poor people. That's why the program is run by the Dept. of Ag, not HHS.

Many Medicaid recipients are nursing home residents that worked their entire lives and have spent down their assets.
ObamaPhones
Does an Obama administration program provide free cell phones and cellular service to welfare recipients?

... Imagine for a moment what your life would be like without a phone, corded or wireless. How would you contact emergency services if there was a fire or a serious injury? How would you contact a potential new employer, or keep in touch with a current one? How would you contact your utility company about a power outage, or a doctor about your sick child? How would you keep in touch with your loved ones and your community? In this day and age, telecommunications services are a real necessity, and not being able to afford them is a real liability....
Makes sense to me. I'd be especially interested in learning whether the program helped the poor get and keep jobs. If so, very cost effective.

While the poor are more likely to commit crimes, and they pay for it, the wealthy are more likely to be involved in harmful or potentially harmful activities that require "government regulation and intrusion".

If you pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big-screen TV, while your neighbor buys iPhones, time shares, a wall-sized do-it-all TV and new cars, and the government forgives his debt when he defaults on his mortgage No known record of this ever happening as described.

Idk about mortgages, but the wealthy, like POSPOTUS, are more likely to take advantage of bankruptcy law, and they skate on a far larger amount of debt than the middle class do.

If being stripped of your Constitutional right to defend yourself makes you more "safe" according to the government No such assumption has ever been put forth, nor has there ever been any effort to strip anyone of the right to defend. Well, sure, you can't "defend" yourself with a 50-calibre machine gun, you just have to choose another weapon.

>>>
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:16 pm
If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.
What Researchers Learned About Gun Violence Before Congress Killed Funding
We spoke with the scientist who led the government's research on guns.

More guns mean more gun murders. Here's how we know. <<<

If the only school curriculum allowed to explain how we got here is evolution, but your government stops a $15 million construction project to keep a rare spider from evolving to extinction False assumption, no correlation.

Few plants and animals are "evolving to extinction". We're killing them off.
You want :lol: :lol: :lol: creationism :lol: :lol: :lol: taught?

If your government believes that using steroids or other drugs will ruin your life, but throwing you in prison for years will not I'd like to see some documentation that the government doesn't believe being thrown in prison for year won't ruin your life. I'm pretty sure everybody recognizes that, even if you also believe some recovery can be made.

What a weird thing for a former and unrepentant drug warrior to feature.

Plus, it's a goofy logic fail. "throwing you in prison for years" is because the "government believes that using steroids or other drugs will ruin your life". At least officially, it's also been about racist repression and maintaining the lucrative prison-industrial complex.

If children are forcibly removed from parents who discipline them with spankings while children of addicts are put in filth and drug infested “homes” False equivalency …

Mere spanking doesn't result in child removal, and the government tries to place kids safely. It may fail sometimes, but DFS isn't evil.

Again, they all have faulty assumptions, faulty premise, illogical relationships, and misleading conclusions. Look, humour doesn't have to be true, accurate, or logical. Many jokes (starting with "a priest and an elephant walked into a bar...") aren't real. Problem with this and similar lists is that they're passed around to and by people without the willingness or ability to know it's not at least fundamentally real, and as such, contributes to collective ignorance and people thinking a Trump-type "leader" is a good thing.
Are we done with this factually incorrect, stupid and hateful list yet, or are there still unaddressed items and/or rational counter arguments to be made?
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:49 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:54 am
OK, so I got my ass handed to me on a platter...that's life. See if I listen to ol Jeff anymore. (or whoever)

Anyway, here's this documentation that O Really asked for: (the boy was 9, not 7)
Boy, 9, Suspended from School for Sexual Harassment After Calling Teacher 'Cute'
Published December 04, 2011

"A 9-year-old boy North Carolina boy was suspended for calling a teacher “cute,” WSOCTV.com reports.
The boy’s mother, Chiquita Lockett, said the principal of Brookside Elementary in Gastonia called her after the incident to say the comment was a form of “sexual harassment.”
"It's not like he went up to the woman and tried to grab her or touch her in a sexual way," Lockett said. "So why would he be suspended for two days?”
According to the station, a district spokeswoman said she could not go into detail, but said the boy was suspended for "inappropriate behavior" after making "inappropriate statements."

And this for Vrede too: (the "uber"-environmentalist)

Snail Darter Politics

"As California is enduring the worst drought in its history, some politicians are blaming it all on federal and state environmental laws that protect fish and wildlife and the rivers they depend on for survival. And, as predictably as water flows downstream, these politicians are looking for oddly-named and seemingly insignificant creatures to cast as villains. Thus, in a February 5, 2014 speech on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives, Congressman Devin Nunes (R-CA) referred to the threatened delta smelt as “the stupid little fish” whose protection is causing Central Valley farms to dry up and wither away. Call it snail darter politics."

Now this:
Vrede too wrote:What a weird thing for a former and unrepentant drug warrior to feature.
I never busted anyone or went after anyone for simple possession of pot; I've told you that time and again. In fact I confiscated their holdings and sent them on their way. My goal was the hard-core, life-destroying sh*t that you favor to be on every table in America. When it comes to destroying hard drugs, despite the fact it was a losing battle, you're damn right I'm unrepentant, and if I was still working, I would not let up.

And yes, I've known of kids being taken from their parents and placed in so-called "loving environments" that turned out to be nightmarish dumps.

Officials: DSS employee suspended after foster child found handcuffed to porch

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:Are we done with this factually incorrect, stupid and hateful list yet, or are there still unaddressed items and/or rational counter arguments to be made?
Such a loving, kind person.

Vrede, please don't be an asshole towards me, because then I'll have to be an asshole towards you,
and we both know that would be a losing battle for me, because you're the best at being an asshole than anyone.
(Shakespeare)

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:14 am

Anyway, here's this documentation that O Really asked for: (the boy was 9, not 7)
Boy, 9, Suspended from School for Sexual Harassment After Calling Teacher 'Cute'
Published December 04, 2011

"A 9-year-old boy North Carolina boy was suspended for calling a teacher “cute,” WSOCTV.com reports.
The boy’s mother, Chiquita Lockett, said the principal of Brookside Elementary in Gastonia called her after the incident to say the comment was a form of “sexual harassment.”
"It's not like he went up to the woman and tried to grab her or touch her in a sexual way," Lockett said. "So why would he be suspended for two days?”
According to the station, a district spokeswoman said she could not go into detail, but said the boy was suspended for "inappropriate behavior" after making "inappropriate statements."
Thanks for the reference, but I think we'd all agree that event would be somewhat of an aberration and not a general practice suitable for broad comparison. And it's certainly not the only stupid thing well-meaning school administrators have ever done. They're kinda caught between the rock and hard place of getting burned for doing nothing and getting burned for doing too much.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:39 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:14 am
Anyway ...
Thanks for the reference, but I think we'd all agree that event would be somewhat of an aberration and not a general practice suitable for broad comparison. And it's certainly not the only stupid thing well-meaning school administrators have ever done. They're kinda caught between the rock and hard place of getting burned for doing nothing and getting burned for doing too much.
It's way more of an aberration than you know. I've learned with certain people to double check whenever no link nor source is provided. In fact:

Mother says son was suspended for calling teacher ‘cute'
Dec 2, 2011

Then:

9-Year-Old’s Suspension For Calling Teacher ‘Cute’ Overturned, Principal Resigns
12/07/2011

So, "a seven nine-year-old boy" CAN'T "be thrown out of suspended for two days from school for saying his teacher (or a little female classmate) is 'cute'," anyone that tries is forced to resign.

A dumb thing happened, mom complained, an investigation was immediately launched, the dumb thing was rescinded and severe, arguably extreme, consequences were imposed, all in less than a week. I don't know about "geniuses", but the folks running Gaston County Schools certainly weren't "idiots."

The original compiler of this list appears to be Fritz Edmunds, who posted it to his “Politically True” blog back on 3 February 2013

14 months after the incident he lied about it. Do you think there might be an intentionally deceptive anti-school/anti-diversity agenda here? Still successful 5 1/2 years later.

Maybe I've watched too many crime dramas over the decades, but in all of them - good cops to horrible ones - they all seem to know to investigate further when something seems patently outrageous. I guess that's just unrealistic Hollywood, right Leo Lyons? Or, is it not that you somehow found the original story but somehow didn't see the followup that popped up for me right away? Hmmm. Anyhow, all this reminds me of:

Liberals Don’t Share or Believe Fake News As Much As Right-Wingers, Study Finds (article)

Polarization, Partisanship and Junk News Consumption over Social Media in the US (study)

Fritz Edmunds knows his audience.

Aside: "Chiquita Lockett" :wtf:
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Wow Captain Genius, what part of " (the boy was 9, not 7)" did you miss?
Vrede too wrote:I've learned with certain people to double check whenever no link nor source is provided.
Should have read:
"I've learned with certain people to double check whenever no link nor source is provided;
then I can prove myself to be the "uber"-asshole that everyone already knows I am.
" :lol: :lol: You own it! :toothy: :toothy: :violent:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:35 pm
Wow Captain Genius, what part of " (the boy was 9, not 7)" did you miss?
Vrede too wrote:I've learned with certain people to double check whenever no link nor source is provided.
Should have read:
"I've learned with certain people to double check whenever no link nor source is provided;
then I can prove myself to be the "uber"-asshole that everyone already knows I am.
" :lol: :lol: You own it! :toothy: :toothy: :violent:

So weird that you are celebrating getting caught pushing right wing bullshit.