Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:33 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:18 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:07 pm
I read 3 or 4 - just trash bumper sticker philosophy with about as much depth as the piece of paper they are printed on, but then, when the intent is to fool the stupid people into hurting themselves, they are quite effective
Ummm, I think maybe you ought to read the rest of the "bumper sticker" philosophies, (although they aren't printed on paper)
So tell me, how are the words of those "philosophies" intended to "fool the stupid people into hurting themselves?" In what way would it hurt?

I find it hard to believe that even a Liberal can't agree with the majority of those statements. I don't consider myself fully Liberal or Conservative, but I agree with the statements; even if they were created as humor. Read them all.

me? a liberal?

I've never really considered myself a liberal. I do like the cutsie little bumper stickers paths to righteousness – that is, until I stop and think about how isolated and out of pace with reality they are – as well as so often in direct contradiction to each other, but I’ll play

You pick out 3 or 4 of your favorites and I’ll give them a look.

Come on leo, let's play - bumper sticker bullshit.

Show me your faves.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 am
Come on leo, let's play - bumper sticker bullshit. Show me your faves.
What, you're not capable of reading for yourself? You're saying none of those mentioned actions ever happened?
Since most of these actions were taken in locations that are run by (ahem) Liberal governments, go back, as I previously suggested, and re-read each line; but leave off the "you might live in a nation/state/city that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots." Maybe that will make more sense to you since you have labeled the words "bumper sticker bullshit".

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:30 am

Well gee, you sure don't have to go far to see why this list ought to be relegated to "bumper sticker bullshit."
"If plastic water bottles are ok..." Nobody says they are. They're criticizedcl heavily for contaminants as well as contributing to a big plastic island in the ocean, and clogging streams. But on a scale from "necessary to worthless" plastic bottles would seem to rank much higher than drinking straws.

Field trip permission is to protect the school, not the kid; aspirin restriction is an over-reaction like banning nail clippers, but it probably is hard to tell the difference in aspirin and oxycodone from a distance across the room. Abortion is a medical procedure, and one that is protected as a Constitutional right to privacy. No relationship among the three.

Comparing regulation of private firearms to sale of military aircraft, seriously? Besides one of the craziest "leaders" is the one with the jets now.

On the surface, it would seem being able to buy two 16-oz sodas but not one 24-oz would be ridiculous. But really, few would order two sodas, as compared to now where they order one soda and accept a "super-size" up to 32 oz for a quarter. Affecting consumer behaviour is a legitimate science.

Every statement is defective in either fact, premise, or comparative, but I'm tired of the game.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:41 pm
Well gee, you sure don't have to go far to see why this list ought to be relegated to "bumper sticker bullshit."
"If plastic water bottles are ok..." Nobody says they are. They're criticized heavily for contaminants as well as contributing to a big plastic island in the ocean, and clogging streams. But on a scale from "necessary to worthless" plastic bottles would seem to rank much higher than drinking straws.

Plus, there are easy alternatives to plastic bags, and going after straws is relatively recent and not very widespread.

Field trip permission is to protect the school, not the kid; aspirin restriction is an over-reaction like banning nail clippers, but it probably is hard to tell the difference in aspirin and oxycodone from a distance across the room. Abortion is a medical procedure, and one that is protected as a Constitutional right to privacy. No relationship among the three.

Plus, teen pregnancy is often the result of incest, it might be heavily punished by family, and the whole point of notification is to limit what girls can do with their own bodies.

Comparing regulation of private firearms to sale of military aircraft, seriously? Besides one of the craziest "leaders" is the one with the jets now.

Plus, those favoring reasonable gun control are most likely to oppose giving "F-16 fighter jets to crazy leaders". No contradiction there.

... Every statement is defective in either fact, premise, or comparative, but I'm tired of the game.
If your citizens can't tell the difference between apples and oranges — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:05 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 am
Come on leo, let's play - bumper sticker bullshit. Show me your faves.
What, you're not capable of reading for yourself? You're saying none of those mentioned actions ever happened?
Since most of these actions were taken in locations that are run by (ahem) Liberal governments, go back, as I previously suggested, and re-read each line; but leave off the "you might live in a nation/state/city that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots." Maybe that will make more sense to you since you have labeled the words "bumper sticker bullshit".
Dude, I'm giving you a shot at picking the best. As I said, I read a few and they are pure crap.

"If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots."

Sounds so rational, until you stop to look at history and see that not only does spending work to revive an economy, but spending can overcome the austerity of the hoovers and other republican austerity measures, as well as, republican tax give aways to the rich.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:39 pm
Dude, I'm giving you a shot at picking the best. As I said, I read a few and they are pure crap.

"If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots."

Sounds so rational, until you stop to look at history and see that not only does spending work to revive an economy, but spending can overcome the austerity of the hoovers and other republican austerity measures, as well as, republican tax give aways to the rich.
Plus, not spending trillions more > no federal budget > no US Government > no US > no debt repayment at all.

If your citizens can't think these things through — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

If your citizens can't think these things through — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run populated by idiots.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
If your citizens can't think these things through — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run populated by idiots.
Yeah, that's more accurate for the situation, but I was trying to stay true to the original. I justified this to myself by attributing the failings in our education system - Trumpettes and people that think Fritz Edmunds is clever - to the idiots running our nation. ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, but it's not in most cases idiots that are running the country, President* excepted. It's largely crooks and greedy evil people. Look at Trump's cabinet, for example. Even Carson, who is totally incompetent in his role, isn't an idiot and was once a successful surgeon. Others were former executives - certainly not idiots, but totally lacking in ethics, respect for law, respect for citizens, and some bona fide indicted or indictable crooks. Look at the NC sleaze bags that for no reason other than spite pushed through laws to make the city of Asheville miserable. Idiots we could live with/get around/wait for new elections, yada. Intentional malfeasance is much worse.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:29 pm
Yeah, but it's not in most cases idiots that are running the country, President* excepted. It's largely crooks and greedy evil people. Look at Trump's cabinet, for example. Even Carson, who is totally incompetent in his role, isn't an idiot and was once a successful surgeon. Others were former executives - certainly not idiots, but totally lacking in ethics, respect for law, respect for citizens, and some bona fide indicted or indictable crooks. Look at the NC sleaze bags that for no reason other than spite pushed through laws to make the city of Asheville miserable. Idiots we could live with/get around/wait for new elections, yada. Intentional malfeasance is much worse.
You can try all you want with your thoughtfulness, wisdom, generosity and accuracy and shit, but you're not going to make me feel bad about goading Leo Lyons and Fritz Edmunds. :P
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:

"If plastic water bottles are ok..." Nobody says they are. They're criticizedcl heavily for contaminants as well as contributing to a big plastic island in the ocean, and clogging streams. But on a scale from "necessary to worthless" plastic bottles would seem to rank much higher than drinking straws.
Boy, y'all, (I mean you all) really got bent out of sorts over this pundit; better than I expected! :lol: Anyway, there is some truth (without the un-necessary name calling) in some of the statements. I think the plastic bottle thing was in reference to California banning water bottles that hold less than 21 oz.; another CA city (Malibu?) requiring plastic bottles to have non-detachable lids.

Field trip permission is to protect the school, not the kid;
Of course

aspirin restriction is an over-reaction like banning nail clippers, but it probably is hard to tell the difference in aspirin and oxycodone from a distance across the room.
Knee-jerk reaction, as you say

Abortion is a medical procedure, and one that is protected as a Constitutional right to privacy.
Yeah, I get a 12 year old girl can get an abortion without her parent(s) knowledge, but ONLY in WA, OR, NY, VT, NH, ME, & CT; all Liberal majority states.

Well, yeah, bad comparison, but 10 rounds are just as deadly as 20-30 rounds.
"ONE of the craziest leaders is right. Ha!"

On the surface, it would seem being able to buy two 16-oz sodas but not one 24-oz would be ridiculous. But really, few would order two sodas, as compared to now where they order one soda and accept a "super-size" up to 32 oz for a quarter. Affecting consumer behaviour is a legitimate science.
Shades of Big Brother and government control.

Every statement is defective in either fact, premise, or comparative, but I'm tired of the game.
Me too. I got my laughs. Thanks y'all (I mean you all!)

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:09 pm
Yeah, that's more accurate for the situation, but I was trying to stay true to the original. I justified this to myself by attributing the failings in our education system - Trumpettes and people that think Fritz Edmunds is clever - to the idiots running our nation. ;)
A Country Founded By Geniuses, but Run By Idiots: Fritz Edmunds
Published on June 23, 2015

"Often attributed to Jeff Foxworthy, but actually first published by Fritz Edmunds, who posted it to his "Politically True" (http://www.countynewsonline.org/blogs/2 ... diots.html) blog back on 3 February 2013
(albeit with a disclaimer noting that "some of the ideas were from an e-mail that did not contain any copyright").
http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/id ... m1moohj.99
This version contains a few extras, I assume were picked up along the way as it sped around the "Net".
"

If it will make you feel any better, Fritz Edmunds is a comedian. Can you spell "tongue-in-cheek?" :lol: :lol:
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:58 pm
You can try all you want with your thoughtfulness, wisdom, generosity and accuracy and shit, but you're not going to make me feel bad about goading Leo Lyons and Fritz Edmunds. :P
You're not bothering me in the least; I'm enjoying this. I don't know about 'ol Fritz though, I've not seen him around lately.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:29 pm
Come live here in NY for a while. NYC leaders make citizens miserable without any help whatsoever from state or federal influences.
Is this a great country, or what?

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Come live here in NY for a while. NYC leaders make citizens miserable without any help whatsoever from state or federal influences.
I'm pretty familiar with NYC, as well some portions of Upstate. Spent last month (July) in NY. Didn't run into many if any miserable citizens.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:08 pm
O Really wrote:

Boy, y'all, (I mean you all) really got bent out of sorts over this pundit; better than I expected! :lol: Anyway, there is some truth (without the un-necessary name calling) in some of the statements. I think the plastic bottle thing was in reference to California banning water bottles that hold less than 21 oz.; another CA city (Malibu?) requiring plastic bottles to have non-detachable lids.

Field trip permission is to protect the school, not the kid;
Of course

aspirin restriction is an over-reaction like banning nail clippers, but it probably is hard to tell the difference in aspirin and oxycodone from a distance across the room.
Knee-jerk reaction, as you say

Abortion is a medical procedure, and one that is protected as a Constitutional right to privacy.
Yeah, I get a 12 year old girl can get an abortion without her parent(s) knowledge, but ONLY in WA, OR, NY, VT, NH, ME, & CT; all Liberal majority states.

Well, yeah, bad comparison, but 10 rounds are just as deadly as 20-30 rounds.
"ONE of the craziest leaders is right. Ha!"

Shades of Big Brother and government control.

Not sure what you have to crow about after your bumper stickers were reduced to bumper stickers.

and I'm still waiting for you to pick the best of these silly platitudes for me to read.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

As is widely discussed, plastic water bottles are a horrendous pollutant, and entirely unnecessary in a nation with good tap water, widespread jugged home water delivery, and affordable home and personal water filter technology. Good on CA or anyone else that’s working to reduce plastic water bottles.

A sperm whale that washed up on a beach in Spain had 64 pounds of plastic and waste in its stomach

Whales are starving – their stomachs full of our plastic waste

I agree that the application of zero-tolerance in our schools has been ridiculous. It’s ironic that its origins are solidly con and largely drug war related when the rant was written by con Fritz Edmunds, meant to appeal to cons, and shared by supposed former drug warrior Leo Lyons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_tolerance#History

NH and ME are purple states and VT has a Republican governor. I’d say the list is more of states that value personal liberty over Big Brother than it is of “Liberal [sic] majority states”.

Magazine changing might be just as fast as using large magazines for those very proficient in firearms use, but that does not apply to most of those who shoot up our schools, churches, movie theaters, etc.
Combined with the fact that there’s no reason for large capacity magazines other than rapidly killing large numbers of people, the “idiots” are the ones that resist restricting them.

Even funnier is how quickly we’ve gone from:
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:18 pm
... I find it hard to believe that even a Liberal [sic] can't agree with the majority of those statements. I don't consider myself fully Liberal [sic] or Conservative [sic], but I agree with the statements; even if they were created as humor. Read them all.
To:
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:08 pm
O Really wrote:
I guess it’s our fault for getting “bent out of sorts” when it turns out that Leo Lyons was lying when he posted, “I agree with the statements”. No reason to expect serious, mature discussion here.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:01 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:

I'm pretty familiar with NYC, as well some portions of Upstate. Spent last month (July) in NY. Didn't run into many if any miserable citizens.
You missed "Come live here in NY for a while." Looky-seeing doesn't see all.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 am
I guess it’s our fault for getting “bent out of sorts” when it turns out that Leo Lyons was lying when he posted, “I agree with the statements”.
No reason to expect serious, mature discussion here.
Firstly, thanks for the links and your effort to find and post them; they're very informative.
Secondly, thanks for coming out of your uber-safe place to respond to my uber-post; that was uber-kind of you.
Thirdly, are you sending out some sort of subtle message that you are now an Uber driver? Or did you hear that word somewhere and it got stuck in your head?

Exactly like Seth Milner and Mr.B.
Ahh, here it comes; the old, worn-out "you must be Mr. B or Seth Milner". Perhaps you fail to remember that I was here long before Seth Milner; Mr.B was here before me,(I think). That doesn't surprise me, because I honestly believe your hard drive (the one in your computer) has a log of everything tittle of information ever posted by anyone in this forum. Why I bet you've even logged that fart that Colonel Taylor laid on your post back in 2013 that sent you into a ballistic frenzy! :toothy: :mrgreen: :toothy:

Time to re-inject the old "Mr. B. is still messing with your head". (sorry, O Really. Despite the dialect, some things need to be said.)

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:05 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:01 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:

You missed "Come live here in NY for a while." Looky-seeing doesn't see all.
As you would know, "NY" includes several different worlds, and the city is way different from the rest of the state. But my perspective isn't exactly "looky-seeing." Maybe if you offer a couple of examples of citizenry misery I'd get the point.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:No reason to expect serious, mature discussion here.
So, tell me; why does everything have to absolutely be "serious, mature discussion?" There's only 4 or 5 posters left here, why not have a bit of fun; or have you lost that feeling somewhere worrying about what was, what is, or what's going to be?
If you all want to be stuffed shirts all the time, have at it; me, I'm going to continue to have fun and laugh it up. Life's too short to be a grumpy-ass with a chip on my shoulder.