Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too »

My condo development is not exactly filled with backwoods men and women.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:32 am

We may have more bears than you do. I always thought it was the tourists for NC who call the cops over bear and alligator sightings.

They got my garbage last night and one took an absolutely huge shit on the sidewalk.
Well maybe in your neck of the woods. But in all my years in Florida south of you, and hiking/biking in the parks and woods including Ocala National Forest, I never saw one bear. I know they're there, but with the exception of your neighborhood/area they're way less visible than in WNC.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Found this:
What state has the most black bears?
Alaska
What state in the lower 48 has the most black bears?
Wisconsin
How many states have black bears?
any states with dense forests.
In which state is the black bear a mammal?
All of them.
:lol: Even though they don't live in all states.

http://hopamerica.com/u-s-black-bear-po ... -by-state/

The following Statistics are from 2011:

Alabama – 50
Florida – 3,000
New Jersey – 3,500
North Carolina – 13,000 (they did the color wrong on the map)
South Carolina – 1,200
Tennessee – 4,500
Wisconsin – 35,000
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I think I'd be too chicken-shit to camp where grizzlies lived.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:37 pm
Attacks are pretty rare and hanging all food away from the tent is about all that you need to do. I never has a problem, though my girlfriend's pack did get ripped up by a people-fearless black bear in Smoky Park. It's always going to be far more dangerous driving to the trailhead.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:32 pm
JTA wrote:
Attacks are pretty rare and hanging all food away from the tent is about all that you need to do. I never has a problem, though my girlfriend's pack did get ripped up by a people-fearless black bear in Smoky Park. It's always going to be far more dangerous driving to the trailhead.

Have you ever encountered a grizzly out hiking/camping where they lived?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:32 am

We may have more bears than you do. I always thought it was the tourists for NC who call the cops over bear and alligator sightings.

They got my garbage last night and one took an absolutely huge shit on the sidewalk.
Well maybe in your neck of the woods. But in all my years in Florida south of you, and hiking/biking in the parks and woods including Ocala National Forest, I never saw one bear. I know they're there, but with the exception of your neighborhood/area they're way less visible than in WNC.
I never heard of any when I lived in citrus county (I did see a Florida lion, or panther), but they are all over the panhandle, especially around the water. I think most of ours swim over from the national seashore barrier island.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

JTA wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:37 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:32 pm
JTA wrote:

I think you are supposed to shit yourself and then run downhill.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Seeing a grizzley compared to seeing a black bear is much like the difference in a chihuahua and a rottweiler. Both dogs might be foul tempered and bite but an attack by one is much preferable to an attack by the other.

We see a 300 or so black bear and it's a big one. Yellowstone grizzlies are twice that size and Alaskan ones maybe three times.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:37 pm
Never up close, have seen them in the distance in daytime. Was woken camping in backcountry Yellowstone by heavy animal pawing and snuffling close by. Eventually peeked out of the tent - big old moose . . . and calf, which could have been shaky, but they seemed chill, grazed for awhile then moved on.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

This big ol fuzz nugget is just looking for someone to give him some cuddles and pets.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Fun fact:

Did you know...

If a human baby is born submerged under water, it can live it's entire life submerged without ever surfacing for air?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 pm
Fun fact:

Did you know...

If a human baby is born submerged under water, it can live it's entire life submerged without ever surfacing for air?
True, but that "entire life" will be about 4-6 minutes long unless it's brought up for air.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Fun fact:

Did you know...

The average human has less than two legs?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:D

The reason that we're in such a mess is that half of America is dumber than average.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

RIP bird.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:20 pm
RIP bird.
http://rj51photos.com/?page_id=3874

:D

Bird Experts
Mathematicians

Remembering the day Fabio got goosed at Busch Gardens

... Busch Gardens was introducing its new roller coaster, Apollo's Chariot. It's a great coaster. Still my favorite, actually. The concept of the ride borrowed from mythology, so to introduce it the park brought in the closest thing we had at the time to a Greek god - the supermodel Fabio.

He was handsome and brawny, with flowing tresses, and his open-shirted image was an icon of romance novel covers. He was sometimes depicted, as models often unfairly are, as a pretty face with not much going on behind it. And he would take the first public ride on Apollo's Chariot - front row center, surrounded by ladies dressed in white gowns. It was quite a visual image for the assembled media.

Cameras rolled as the train pulled out of the station, but two minutes later when it rolled back in, something was wrong. Fabio's face was smeared crimson (was it lipstick from the overzealous ladies?) and everyone on the ride seemed rattled. Then, pandemonium. Some folks ran to Fabio. Others moved to push the media back.

It seems there was an incident on the ride's first drop, as the riders hurtled toward the ground at approximately 70 mph. A goose who had been nesting nearby flew into the path of the speeding coaster car. Best anyone can tell, the goose hit the front of the car, breaking its neck. The bird's carcass then flipped upward, striking Fabio on the bridge of his nose and causing a cut that would later require three stitches. No bones were broken, but there was some swelling....

... Now try to calculate the odds on this. In all the years that Busch Gardens has been open in Williamsburg, the only time a park guest is ever hit in the face by a goose while riding a roller coaster, it is not just a celebrity but a model famous for his fine facial features. And it happens in full view of the media that the park has called to serve as witnesses. It's ridiculous, right?

... Me? I did OK that day. I went to Busch Gardens with a story that was slated to run on the bottom of page B-2, and I came back with an A-1 centerpiece that moved on the national wires. That story would take third place in that year's Virginia Press Association judging for spot news stories. To this day, I half-jokingly describe it as one of the great days of my journalistic career....
I don't think I've ever seen this performed before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPrtFxd9u9Y

Wow.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"runway excursion incident”

Never text while landing.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:12 pm
I don't think I've ever seen this performed before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPrtFxd9u9Y

Wow.
a true classic

wiki says
the Trashmen's biggest hit was 1963's "Surfin' Bird",[1] which reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the latter part of that year. The song was a combination of two R&B hits by the Rivingtons, "The Bird's the Word" and "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow".[3] Early pressings of the single credit the Trashmen as composers, but following a threat from the Rivingtons' legal counsel, that group was subsequently credited as composers.[4] The early single was credited solely to the drummer (and singer), Steve Wahrer. The song was later re-recorded by artists including the Ramones, the Cramps, Silverchair, the Psychotic Petunias, Pee-Wee Herman, Equipe 84, and the thrash metal band Sodom. It has been used in filmmaking and television productions, notably including Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket, Vince Vaughn's "Fred Claus", John Waters' Pink Flamingos, Lyndall Hobbs's Back to the Beach (in which Pee-Wee Herman sang it), the soundtrack of the video game Battlefield Vietnam and David Frankel's "The Big Year" as the cellphone ringtone of Brad Harris (the character played by Jack Black) .

"Surfin' Bird" was the subject of the episode "I Dream of Jesus" of the television series Family Guy, sending the song to No. 8 on the iTunes Top 10 Rock songs char

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 am
"runway excursion incident”
The crew deserves credit for not deploying the slides.