The Global Warming thread.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
bannination
Captain

The Global Warming thread.

Unread post by bannination »

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Global Warming thread.

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

but, but, but... the guy on the curvy couch who isn't steve doocey brought in a real "weatherman" and the real weatherman said all kinds of proof against warming and he even showed some snow

so how ya gonna beat that?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

billy.pilgrim wrote:but, but, but... the guy on the curvy couch who isn't steve doocey brought in a real "weatherman" and the real weatherman said all kinds of proof against warming and he even showed some snow

so how ya gonna beat that?
Yeah, it's about time for the annual "Look here, Bubba. It's done got to be winter, and danged if it ain't snowing outside. I tolja thar warn't no globull warming" fest to emanate from those on the right.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

The number of global warming papers in the past 16 years has risen dramatically

While the temperature has not

Image -0-?

:mrgreen:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Wneglia wrote:While the temperature has not
Incorrect. Your Daily Mail graph has been debunked.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

rstrong wrote:

but, but, but... the guy on the curvy couch who isn't steve doocey brought in a real "weatherman" and the real weatherman said all kinds of proof against warming and he even showed some snow

I'll back ya up wiggley
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Meanwhile the glaciers continue to retreat. Glacier National Park is running out of glacier. Cruise ships travel the North-West passage for the first time; this was impossible a couple decades ago. Species from the western arctic are showing up in the Atlantic for the first time. With less ice, there's a mad scramble to survey the area for resources.

People up north here in Manitoba are having to adapt to winter roads being open for far less time.

In my trips to eastern Ontario in the last couple years, wild turkeys are everywhere. They simply didn't exist there when I was growing up; it was too cold for them. There's now a "conservation" organization for them - it's real purpose is to attract American and European hunters to the area.

While the climate change deniers continue to deny, others are busy DEALING WITH climate change.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

rstrong wrote:
The daily mail story was debunked, not the graph. The gist of the debunking was that the 16 year plateau was too short a time period to reflect a trend. That is why I only restricted my statement to that time frame.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Wneglia wrote:
rstrong wrote:
The daily mail story was debunked, not the graph. The gist of the debunking was that the 16 year plateau was too short a time period to reflect a trend. That is why I only restricted my statement to that time frame.

More accurate graph from same info.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Stinger wrote:
Wneglia wrote:
rstrong wrote:

Again, I was referring only to the last 16 year plateau. If you plot the trend data from only that period, it is flat. You are correct that looking at a longer time frame reflects a different picture.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Wneglia wrote:
Stinger wrote:
Wneglia wrote:
rstrong wrote:

Again, I was referring only to the last 16 year plateau. If you plot the trend data from only that period, it is flat. You are correct that looking at a longer time frame reflects a different picture.

Short-term thinking versus big-picture thinking.

bannination
Captain

The good Doctor is the sneakiest troll evar!

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Wneglia wrote:
Stinger wrote:
Wneglia wrote:
rstrong wrote:

I am not computer savvy enough to figure out how you morphed that graph, but it is super cool. :-|| :-||

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Wneglia wrote: I am not computer savvy enough to figure out how you morphed that graph, but it is super cool. :-|| :-||

I wish I could take credit, but it came that way. It's an animated gif file that one can apparently do at home. Mike will know more.

It is a very cool way to compare the graphs.

Here's another animated gif.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Is that a hornet's nest or some sort of holy ball on a string?

bannination
Captain

Some young boys testicle.

//Going to hell.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

Wneglia wrote: You are correct that looking at a longer time frame reflects a different picture.
Then perhaps you can shed some light on why deniers often post a snapshot of a much larger set of data.. ..
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

OK, so I can understand someone saying "I believe the scientists that there is global warming/climate change, but I don't think it's human-caused, therefore we shouldn't make any effort to ameliorate its effects."

I can understand "It may be human-caused, but we've already ruined it and its too late to do anything."

I can understand "It may be human-caused, but it's too expensive to do anything about it and I'm not going to be around when it fries anyway so I don't care."

Any of those arguments would be far more rational and make the deniers seem way less stupid than saying "it ain't happening and here's a fake chart from a pretend-climate scientist who's the only one who knows the real story and isn't a part of the liberal conspiracy to make us all use funny shaped light bulbs. "

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

O Really wrote:Any of those arguments would be far more rational and make the deniers seem way less stupid
As one (among many.. likely many of you ) that kept abreast of climate science since the 80s.. we've seen the progression of armchair deniers from "the Earth ISN'T warming".. to "OK..the Earth is warming but humans had NOTHING to do with it" .. to "Fine.. AGW is real but it's too late now".. ..

Soon we'll see them offer research that proves GW is beneficial in that there are fewer deaths from heart attacks brought on by shoveling snow.. . :roll:
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:While the climate change deniers continue to deny, others are busy DEALING WITH climate change.
Another example, this morning:

BBC News: Gas tanker Ob River attempts first winter Arctic crossing
The carrier, Ob River, left Norway in November and has sailed north of Russia on its way to Japan
[...]
Mr Lauritzen says that a key factor in the decision to use the northern route was the recent scientific record on melting in the Arctic. "We have studied lots of observation data - there is an observable trend that the ice conditions are becoming more and more favourable for transiting this route.
[...]
There is an expectation that because of changing climactic conditions, sea traffic across the northern sea route will increase rapidly. 2012 has been a record year both for the length of the sailing season and also for the amount of cargo that has been shipped.