The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:"Some of the formerly mainstream protestant denominations have picked up a lot of perceptual baggage over the past few decades, particularly the Baptists. Probably (maybe) if you were going to a Baptist church in 1979, you might still like it now, and it may not have changed. But the Baptist Convention leadership has taken a hard turn to the extreme since 80-something, and since they don't have to, a lot of Baptist churches are cutting themselves loose, becoming less focused on a specific theology, and more welcoming to those who may have been somewhere else. Maybe some Methodist and Presbyterian churches are doing it too, but they don't have quite the baggage the Baptists have picked up along the way."
Good perception!
I wrote an email to Biltmore Baptist and here's a condensed reply:
Dear (Mr.B),

Unfortunately, the term “Baptist” is filled with misunderstanding and often gets in the way of the gospel. Not only is “Baptist” often understood as “self-righteous” and “angry”, there are also “Baptist” churches (including in WNC) who have now drifted away from fundamental doctrines that we hold to very strongly here (ex. - Biblical authority, the substitutionary atonement, virgin birth of Christ, etc.).
Let me add a few bullet points for clarity:

* We will continue to be a fully cooperating member of the Southern Baptist Convention, and have no plans to change that.
* The legal name of the church will continue to be Biltmore Baptist Church.
* While utilizing ‘Biltmore Church’ as our name, we will still communicate our Southern Baptist affiliation through our Starting Point newcomer’s class, as well as in our website content.
* Our Biblical theology and focus on the gospel is not changing.

Sincerely,
Pastor Bruce

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Common business sense, if you don't label yourself a specific religion you have more people likely to hand over their sweet sweet $$$.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

k9nanny wrote:There are ways to politic from the pulpit that violate the spirit of the law.

We once received a mass mailed " Voter's Guide to the Candidates" from a local Baptist church. Without saying for whom to vote, the candidate of choice was really obvious, based on issues like abortion and homosexuality.
I got one as well; didn't even look at it, threw it in the trash.

I did an online "investigation" of the church a couple of my relatives joined. Maybe the pastor didn't endorse candidates on Sunday morning, but he did on his blog. Neither Romney nor Obama are Christians, so his vote was for the anti-choice guy.
Our pastor told us he was keeping his choices to himself; but we were to consider the issues and the candidates, and make our own choices.

I happened to catch a Sunday morning televised service while clicking through the local stations.
There was no stopping this guy from openly railing against Obama, so which candidate do you reckon he was endorsing?
I suspect we all know who; however I did hear one preacher railing against the entire political machine..

Attending church isn't necessary to know what's going on.
True. It's apparent what's going on; all we have to do is look around ... and look up.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

bannination wrote:"Time to pick up some web development monies to make really simplistic and crappy church sites."
Why would you want to do that? You libs scream bloody murder, homophobia, bigotry or cry racism if even a hint of ridicule came your way....or is it OK only if y'all do it?

"Common business sense, if you don't label yourself a specific religion you have more people likely to hand over their sweet sweet $$$."
Being an avid and enthusiastic church member, you know this; right?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

bannination wrote:oooo Time to pick up some web development monies to make really simplistic and crappy church sites.
Fine, but you should tithe some of your fee to humanist groups.

"Re-dedicatin'" - I do that sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei5EmN2HmVI
Last edited by Vrede too on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Mr.B wrote:.

* We will continue to be a fully cooperating member of the Southern Baptist Convention, and have no plans to change that.
* While utilizing ‘Biltmore Church’ as our name, we will still communicate our Southern Baptist affiliation through our Starting Point newcomer’s class, as well as in our website content.

Sincerely,
Pastor Bruce [/size][/i]
[/quote]
Now I seem to find that a bit disingenuous. While acknowledging that "Baptist" has gifted the church with some baggage, "Pastor Bruce" says "but we're going to hang in with them anyway, we're just not going to make it obvious." The term "bait and switch" comes to mind.

Contrast that to my parents, who were mostly Baptist. They were occasionally Methodist or Presbyterian since they picked their church by what the particular church was like and not simply by denomination. But they were mostly Baptist. Until the extremists took over the Convention, after which they never identified themselves with Baptists again or contributed to any church or cause run by Baptists. And the church they attended most was one that had formerly been Baptist and bailed from the Convention.

bannination
Captain

Mr.B wrote:.

Sincerely,
Pastor Bruce
O Really wrote: Now I seem to find that a bit disingenuous. While acknowledging that "Baptist" has gifted the church with some baggage, "Pastor Bruce" says "but we're going to hang in with them anyway, we're just not going to make it obvious." The term "bait and switch" comes to mind.

Contrast that to my parents, who were mostly Baptist. They were occasionally Methodist or Presbyterian since they picked their church by what the particular church was like and not simply by denomination. But they were mostly Baptist. Until the extremists took over the Convention, after which they never identified themselves with Baptists again or contributed to any church or cause run by Baptists. And the church they attended most was one that had formerly been Baptist and bailed from the Convention.
Bait and switch might be a little harsh, perhaps more financially open to options. :mrgreen:

bannination
Captain

Mr.B wrote:
bannination wrote:"Time to pick up some web development monies to make really simplistic and crappy church sites."
Why would you want to do that? You libs scream bloody murder, homophobia, bigotry or cry racism if even a hint of ridicule came your way....or is it OK only if y'all do it?

"Common business sense, if you don't label yourself a specific religion you have more people likely to hand over their sweet sweet $$$."
Being an avid and enthusiastic church member, you know this; right?
I have been, does that count? -- In many different churches. Believe me, I know how it works. I've even done the books for a couple.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote: "Re-dedicatin'" - I do that sometimes."
Guilty here too ... one time in 1989 and again in 2003(?)

"Grateful Dead - Sugar Magnolia"
Must be an age thingy; I can't understand the words :eh:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:Bait and switch might be a little harsh, perhaps more financially open to options. :mrgreen:
They're bi or trans religious, nttawwt.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote: "Now I seem to find that a bit disingenuous. While acknowledging that "Baptist" has gifted the church with some baggage, "Pastor Bruce" says "but we're going to hang in with them anyway, we're just not going to make it obvious." The term "bait and switch" comes to mind."
I withheld any comment until I read replies. I too, got that feeling. It's like they're spouting non-denominational, but are in fact still Baptists in their beliefs and affiliation. It also appears that this decision was made without a vote of the membership, which in most churches, a move like that would have to be agreed upon by a majority of the church membership. If the membership is in fact like JTA described; young and hip, I can see the ease in moving in this direction without membership approval.

I know many people who attend there or have attended there, and everything I hear is weird. Prior to their dropping 'Baptist' from their name, the pastor's attire changed as well. He now wears mostly black shirts and trousers, no tie, and the church interior has been re-painted black. That's spooky.

"Contrast that to my parents, who were mostly Baptist. They were occasionally Methodist or Presbyterian since they picked their church by what the particular church was like and not simply by denomination. But they were mostly Baptist. Until the extremists took over the Convention, after which they never identified themselves with Baptists again or contributed to any church or cause run by Baptists. And the church they attended most was one that had formerly been Baptist and bailed from the Convention."

Pastor Bruce wrote: "Unfortunately, the term “Baptist” is filled with misunderstanding and often gets in the way of the gospel.
Not only is “Baptist” often understood as “self-righteous” and “angry”, there are also “Baptist” churches (including in WNC) who have now drifted away from fundamental doctrines that we hold to very strongly here (ex. - Biblical authority, the substitutionary atonement, virgin birth of Christ, etc.)

That statement “Baptist” (is) often understood as “self-righteous” and “angry” is an oxymoron. Some time ago, the SBC came under fire for their stance on "gay" issues, women's roles in the church, etc. If this church wants to dis-associate with 'Baptist', I wonder why they don't do it fully rather than throw up a smoke screen. :shock: Or as Banni said.... "Bait and switch or if you don't label yourself a specific religion you have more people likely to hand over their sweet sweet $$$.... I'm happy I'm not part of a mega-church.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

In Alabama, Another ‘Family Values’ Politician Falls

... t should surprise no one to learn that Bentley, who was married to his wife for 50 years until she abruptly filed for divorce in 2015, ran as a “family values” conservative who played up his conservative Christianity during his first campaign in 2010. He liked to quote scripture to legislators and opined that God had put him in office.

Bentley, a Southern Baptist deacon, got off to a rocky start with Americans United and other church-state separation advocates. On his inauguration day, Jan. 17, 2011, Bentley attended services at a Baptist church and offered some remarks. What he said was problematic.

“Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I’m telling you, you’re not my brother and you’re not my sister, and I want to be your brother,” he said.

Sounding more like a pastor than a governor, Bentley continued, “But if you have been adopted in God’s family like I have and like you have, if you’re a Christian and if you’re saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then … it makes you and me brother and sister. If we don’t have the same daddy, we’re not brothers and sisters.”

Bentley later offered an apology of sorts: “If anyone from other religions felt disenfranchised by the language, I want to say I am sorry. I am sorry if I offended anyone in any way.”

Bentley’s fall from grace gets even stranger when you add in the fact that Mason’s husband, Jonathan P. Mason, until recently ran Alabama’s Office of Faith Based and Community Initiatives, called Serve Alabama. He was paid $91,000 annually and had no experience in this kind of work. Prior to joining the state government, he was a TV weatherman. (Alabama’s new governor, Kay Ivey, handed Mason a pink slip shortly after being sworn in.)

What’s frustrating about all of this is not that yet another holier-than-thou politician turned out to be a hypocrite – that’s old news. (Yes, I’m talking to you, Newt Gingrich.) It’s that the results of fusing right-wing Christianity and government, which many in the Religious Right hold up as a model for the nation, have served Alabama so poorly.

Bentley is hardly alone. Remember, Alabama has also been embarrassed by the antics of Roy Moore, who has twice been removed from the post of chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court because he won’t accept that government should be secular.

A columnist for AL.com, a statewide news site, says the state’s residents have no one to blame but themselves. It’s a harsh assessment, but it may be true. In light of it, I’d like to offer a little unsolicited advice: Maybe it’s time to stop picking political leaders on the basis of where they go to church, how many prayer proclamations they’re willing to sign and how many pieces of far-right social legislation they say they’ll ink.

Maybe it’s time to pick a leader who’s willing to work for all Alabamans, not just those who happen to be far-right Christians. And maybe, just maybe, it’s time for one who actually respects the separation of church and state.

It’s worth a shot. I mean, could things possibly get any worse?
Yep, individual leaders fail and we shouldn't read too much into it. However, what masses of rightwing Christian voters do over and over is more problematic.

Florida Fundamentalist Group Spams Federal Judges Hearing Muslim Ban Case

The idiot group has a track record of hurting its own causes and is probably doing so now. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Vrede too wrote:Bored now, done opening posts. This is how all discussions with Mr.B go. It doesn't matter that he's a con, it's the sheer ignorance, laziness, stupidity, dishonesty, memory lapses, immaturity, cowardice and lack of personal responsibility regardless of issue that make it not worth the effort. That's all.
Damn Mr. B. You must be part squirrel. You damn sure know how to attract the nuts. You ought to get a gold button. You nailed the Superstar Grandfagmaster. That's doing something right there now. Funny to see how the trashmouthing calmed down a bit after being challenged to put up or shut the fuck up over who is really the coward. :lol:
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

100 Days In, Trump’s Chipping Away At Religious Freedom
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2017 18:32:35 +0200
From info@samerteks.uz
Subject The first Christian-friendly weight loss product available for you

Our prayers have been finally answered: the very first Christian diet supplement.

Stop living in sin and start getting healthy, forget about being a glutton. (hyperlink, but I didn't click)
:-0?> Any thoughts on what's in or should be in a "Christian diet supplement"? They probably don't mean:

:o
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

If the fags, fag huggers, twat twinkies, half and half's, their supporters and all other freaks of humanity had their way,
this is what they would prefer.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump doesn't have a license to discriminate

We’ve seen reports that President Trump is planning to sign an executive order on Thursday that would create religious exemptions and open the door to discrimination It’s a license to discriminate against women and LGBT people. Our opponents are rallying their bases, hoping to convince the president there’s popular support for wide-ranging, taxpayer-funded discrimination. But polling shows that our side has been in the majority for a long time – and now we need to show our strength.

If we can mount a strong enough resistance now we can make sure Trump never has a chance to sign this order. Take action now – send a message directly to the White House.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

YouTube: Stephen Fry on what he'd say to God at the Pearly Gates

So excellent that two years later he's the subject of a police investigation in Ireland for "blasphemy" because of the interview. Though he's unlikely to be prosecuted.

(BTW, it's only a coincidence that I reappear the same day as Kellyanne Conway, having disappeared at the same time. It's not related. Just ignore it. It doesn't mean anything.)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:YouTube: Stephen Fry on what he'd say to God at the Pearly Gates

>>> :clap: <<<

So excellent that two years later he's the subject of a police investigation in Ireland for "blasphemy" because of the interview. Though he's unlikely to be prosecuted.

>>> Gardaí launch blasphemy probe into Stephen Fry comments on 'The Meaning of Life' <<<

(BTW, it's only a coincidence that I reappear the same day as Kellyanne Conway, having disappeared at the same time. It's not related. Just ignore it. It doesn't mean anything.)

That's an image I'd rather not have.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Came across this theory on the internet: God made the sun hot so people wouldn't fuck with it.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Word I've never seen before, posted by COSMICGNOSTIC (which is also a cool handle): CHRISTINSANIANS. I'd never use it for all Christians, but it is perfect for some.
1312. ETTD.