The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Trump taps Callista Gingrich to be ambassador to the Vatican

"Trump taps Callista Gingrich ..."
Oh my. :o

Not that I really care who the U.S. ambassador to the Vatican is, but it's hilarious that Trump is sending a home wrecking adulteress. If it gets Newt out of the country, too, it's a good thing.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Good. Leave your religion out of our schools, and we'll won't force science into your churches.

But it goes beyond that. Even if EVERYONE were religious, chances are you wouldn't want someone preaching a different religion to your kid. Or even a different denomination: Go back 50 years, and there was a lot of open hatred between Catholics and Protestants. Mormons weren't exactly welcomed either.

The folks on the Mayflower were fleeing religious persecution... by a government-backed Christian denomination almost identical to their own. There's a long history - even in the US - of Christian government officials using their power against those of other denominations. When those in positions of authority - be it judges or teachers - make overt displays of one religion or denomination, you can only assume that those who share it will get favorable treatment. It's an overt message that you should conform to their beliefs.

THAT's why America's founding fathers kept the country neutral on religion, kept church and state separate, and keep religion out of government institutions like courts and public schools. It's to PROTECT freedom of religion.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It's clear the school administration didn't understand the law. :o Of course, school administrators such as these are the same that think a drawing of a gun is the same as a gun, and a nail clipper is a weapon, and a kid needs a doctor's note to use sunscreen. :roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

No one here has ever complained about a possibly iffy case like this, crybaby, and no one sane swallows the Faux Noise version of events. For example, Faux Noise never mentions that the memorandum it links says, "This coaching memorandum is not considered disciplinary in nature and will not be included in your personnel file." Big whup. So, homerfobe has screwed up twice, again.

We had a more egregious case at my hospital last year. A doctor was asking all patients if he could pray with them early in his exam. There is nothing wrong with staff participating in patient-initiated prayer, but it's wholly inappropriate for someone in a position of so much power to put patients in the position of complying or worrying if they'd get substandard care if they refused. He was on a short term contract which was not renewed.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Let's just give the Saudi's a huge arms deal to arm them to the teeth, and then at the same time try to institute a "Muslim ban".

:crazy:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am
No one here has ever complained about a possibly iffy case like this, crybaby, and no one sane swallows the Faux Noise version of events. For example, Faux Noise never mentions that the memorandum it links says, "This coaching memorandum is not considered disciplinary in nature and will not be included in your personnel file." Big whup. So, homerfobe has screwed up twice, again.

We had a more egregious case at my hospital last year. A doctor was asking all patients if he could pray with them early in his exam. There is nothing wrong with staff participating in patient-initiated prayer, but it's wholly inappropriate for someone in a position of so much power to put patients in the position of complying or worrying if they'd get substandard care if they refused. He was on a short term contract which was not renewed.

Has there ever been an instance of Todd starnes being honest?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:00 am
Let's just give the Saudi's a huge arms deal to arm them to the teeth, and then at the same time try to institute a "Muslim ban".

:crazy:
Dollah Akbar. :-||
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Lady O was watching some show a couple of nights ago that had an Australian comedian on. I didn't see much of it, and didn't get his name, but he spoke a clear truth when he said, "let's be clear - the problem is not Islam, the problem is religion. Have you ever heard of anybody being beheaded, bombed, or hung on behalf of atheism?" He then made a motion similar to slitting a throat and shouted, "In the name of ... nobody!"

O Really
Admiral

Rastafarian wears colander and gets AZ driver's license. https://www.yahoo.com/news/guy-wears-co ... 51403.html

Thoughts:
A colander is no different from any other religious-required headdress, other than perhaps a yarmulke, which wouldn't show from the front in a picture.
They should either allow or not allow any and all religious-based headwear, and I lean toward not allowing, except...
People who wear hijabs, turbans, etc. wear them all the time, so it would be a better match with their pic, but...
It would still require some actual logic and judgement be applied to when a head covering is allowed, and there isn't any of that available in government agencies. Therefore...
I say no head covering for anyone.

homerfobe
Ensign

O Really wrote: Have you ever heard of anybody being beheaded, bombed, or hung on behalf of atheism?" He then made a motion similar to slitting a throat and shouted, "In the name of ... nobody!"
Absolutely correct. In the name of Nobody. The Nobody that took the time to teach that person the meaning of respect for themselves or other peoples property or lives. The Nobodys that decided that discipline is not something to be taught in school. Examples:
The young woman who stole knives at Walmart and then hacked a Uber driver to death.
The young woman who slapped a c-store clerk because the gas pump refused her credit card.
The trashy mouthed punks who stand up in a classroom and curse at or strike their teachers.
The degraded filth that parades their half naked bodies down the street in a parade in the name of perverted sex.
The fugged up judges who rule that filth and gutter attitudes are normal behavior and their words and actions, even in public view, are protected.

I'm nothing when it comes to religion, but I've got enough damn brains to know that when religion was allowed to be discussed in a classroom and the students were taught the principles of religion, there was a hell of a lot more respect for other people. Since that O'Hare bitch, morals have gone to the frigging dogs. How many of you jumped up and cursed or punched your teacher, or your parents? Nobody?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Is it possible that that's more of a correlation though, and waning religious beliefs isn't necessaroly the cause of more "rebellious" youth and disrespectful shitty adults?

Seems like bad parenting is more to blame than anything. In addition to that, being surrounded by a bunch of shitty people increases the likelihood of you becoming shitty as well. They say a person is a mixture of their five best friends.

On the flip side, I guess can see how the fear of God could keep some people in line. We wouldn't need things like laws and threat of punishment by the state if all people were truly good. And laws have been around for millennia.

Truly good people don't need to be coerced to do good. Being good simply due to threat of divine punishment does not make a person good, but for those with a penchant for violence, I agree that religion can be helpful in keeping some people in line, but it can also be used more nefariously (terrorism, etc.)
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:44 am
Rastafarian Pastafarian wears colander and gets AZ driver's license. https://www.yahoo.com/news/guy-wears-co ... 51403.html ...

Rastafarian:

RastaPastafarian:

:D
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, yeah, tell it to autocorrect.
In fact, maybe somebody should tell it to whoever programs the spell checkers. "Pastafarian" comes up as a misspell.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I just thought you were stoned.

It is pretty cool that autocorrect knows 'Rastafarian'. 8-)
Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

JTA wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:09 pm
Is it possible that that's more of a correlation though, and waning religious beliefs isn't necessaroly the cause of more "rebellious" youth and disrespectful shitty adults?

Seems like bad parenting is more to blame than anything.
Shit runs downhill. People act and react as to what they see and hear at home; or don't see and hear at home.

In addition to that, being surrounded by a bunch of shitty people increases the likelihood of you becoming shitty as well. They say a person is a mixture of their five best friends.
It's called peer pressure or the pack mentality. Going with the flow.

On the flip side, I guess can see how the fear of God could keep some people in line. We wouldn't need things like laws and threat of punishment by the state if all people were truly good. And laws have been around for millennia.
I don't think it's the fear of God as much as it is knowing Biblical directions for Godly living. Take the commandments for example.
Every commandment is being broken in today's society. Stealing, murdering, disrespecting parents, destroying other peoples property or wanting it for themselves, etc.

Truly good people don't need to be coerced to do good.
Proper training at home can hardly be called coercion; unless your referring to Mommy or Daddy telling a kid that they'll get a goody if they're a good little boy or girl.

Being good simply due to threat of divine punishment does not make a person good,
My earthly punishment was a hell of a lot scarier than thoughts of a divine punishment after I die. That's my point. These damn hand wringing, snot slinging, panty waisted, so-called psychologists and educators who whine about parental discipline should have their own asses kicked.

but for those with a penchant for violence, I agree that religion can be helpful in keeping some people in line, but it can also be used more nefariously (terrorism, etc.)
Again it's not religion that should be a total tool in teaching respect and discipline, common sense is the best tool. But as long as drugs, greed, and fuck the world attitudes abound, you can forget that.

homerfobe
Ensign

The libbers are going to be lining up to have their picture taken with their foil hats now that it's legal.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

homerfobe wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:23 pm
The Nobody that took the time to teach that person the meaning of respect for themselves or other peoples property or lives. The Nobodys that decided that discipline is not something to be taught in school.
No-one is arguing against teaching discipline or respect in schools. Schools still do that. We're against teaching a state religion in schools, but that's an entirely different thing.
homerfobe wrote:
Examples:
The young woman who stole knives at Walmart and then hacked a Uber driver to death.
The young woman who slapped a c-store clerk because the gas pump refused her credit card.
The trashy mouthed punks who stand up in a classroom and curse at or strike their teachers.
The degraded filth that parades their half naked bodies down the street in a parade in the name of perverted sex.
The fugged up judges who rule that filth and gutter attitudes are normal behavior and their words and actions, even in public view, are protected.
All of these crimes were just as common in the great 1950s as they are now. More so, even. The great 1950s were a myth for everyone outside the new white middle-class suburbs.

Just look at all the civil rights issues of the 1950s, and compare them to today. Only the KKK/Alt-Right/Nazis/Steve Bannon/Donald Trump would prefer the 1950s to today.

Or pollution: Yes, you STILL have Republican congressman refusing to protect the environment because God will take care of it. But that's much more rare than it was. Environmental standards are far, far FAR better than they were a generation or two ago.

Violent crime rates, robberies, police fatalities and whatnot have been dropping for decades.

"Let others praise ancient times; I for one am glad I was born in these."
- Ovid (43BC - AD18)

homerfobe wrote:
I'm nothing when it comes to religion, but I've got enough damn brains to know that when religion was allowed to be discussed in a classroom and the students were taught the principles of religion, there was a hell of a lot more respect for other people.
One more time:

Even if EVERYONE were religious, chances are you wouldn't want someone preaching a different religion to your kid. Or even a different denomination: Go back 50 years, and there was a lot of open hatred between Catholics and Protestants. Mormons weren't exactly welcomed either.

The folks on the Mayflower were fleeing religious persecution... by a government-backed Christian denomination almost identical to their own. There's a long history - even in the US - of Christian government officials using their power against those of other denominations. When those in positions of authority - be it judges or teachers - make overt displays of one religion or denomination, you can only assume that those who share it will get favorable treatment. It's an overt message that you should conform to their beliefs.

THAT's why America's founding fathers kept the country neutral on religion, kept church and state separate, and keep religion out of government institutions like courts and public schools. It's to PROTECT freedom of religion.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

homerfobe wrote:

I'm nothing when it comes to religion, but I've got enough damn brains to know that when religion was allowed to be discussed in a classroom and the students were taught the principles of religion, there was a hell of a lot more respect for other people. Since that O'Hare bitch, morals have gone to the frigging dogs. How many of you jumped up and cursed or punched your teacher, or your parents? Nobody?
Uh.... they do still teach religion classes, and it's perfectly acceptable to discuss it.

Apparently you don't have enough damn brains to determine fact from fox news.