The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

No, a Proposed House Amendment Wouldn’t Ban Same-Sex Couples From Adopting—It’s Even Worse Than That
Under the proposed amendment, states would effectively be unable to prohibit religiously affiliated child-welfare agencies from denying services to millions of people.

On Wednesday, the U.S. House Appropriations Committee voted to add an amendment to an appropriations bill that included a provision permitting licensed child-welfare agencies to discriminate on the basis of religion. The amendment drew immediate ire from the LGBTQ community, as many organizations framed the legislation as “barring gay and lesbian couples from adopting.”

That’s not quite accurate: The amendment, in and of itself, does not ban adoption or fostering by same-sex couples. At the same time, the actual implications of this amendment are far more widespread than those headlines imply. It could affect millions of families, youth, and parents across the country—particularly low-income lesbian and bisexual mothers of color.

The amendment, proposed by Rep. Robert Aderholt (R-AL) would prohibit federal, state, or local agencies from taking any action against a child-welfare organization, agency, or staff member who “decline(s) to provide, facilitate, or refer for a child welfare services that conflicts with . . . the provider’s sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions.” The double negatives are confusing. More clearly: This bill would allow the federal Department of Health and Human Services to dock states up to 15 percent of their foster-care funding if they prevent discrimination in foster care or adoption services.

Under the proposed amendment, states would effectively be unable to prohibit religiously affiliated child-welfare agencies from denying services to: LGBTQ children, families headed by LGBTQ people, families headed by divorced parents, and interfaith families. The agencies could, as reflected by the headlines, also turn away potential adoptive and foster parents who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, single, or myriad other configurations that do not conform to the agency’s religious or moral convictions.
Sign the petition: Block anti-LGBTQ bigotry

The petition to Congress reads:

"Do not use tax dollars to fund discrimination against LGBTQ people. Block the Aderholt Amendment and any other extremist attempts to federally sanction bigotry and hate."
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Who Is America | Building a Mosque in Kingman Arizona | Sacha Baron Cohen

:lol: Just wait until they discover that Kingman already has a mosque - Masjid-E-Ibrahim.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Hundreds, maybe thousands of kids molested by priests in Pennsylvania. Damn, how many do you suppose they'd find if every state formed a grand jury like PA?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/report-pen ... -1.4052641

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:10 pm
Hundreds, maybe thousands of kids molested by priests in Pennsylvania. Damn, how many do you suppose they'd find if every state formed a grand jury like PA?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/report-pen ... -1.4052641
In case anyone thought it was just altar boys -

Vatican meets MeToo: Nuns denounce their abuse by priests
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

The Religion Thread

To the Barricades! Pastafarians shafted!
http://time.com/5370043/pastafarian-rel ... therlands/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:03 am
To the Barricades! Pastafarians shafted!
http://time.com/5370043/pastafarian-rel ... therlands/
Gouda grief! That really steams me that the Dutch are straining Pastafarians by disallowing the wearing of colanders on their noodles in official identification photos. Ramen.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

With no disrespect to Banni, but I'd agree Pastafarians are somewhat of a frivolous religion. On the other hand, wearing a colander on your head really isn't any different from wearing a yarmulke, a turban, or hijab except for the number of adherents and how many years they've been wearing it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Satanic Temple's Baphomet Raises Hell Over Religious Freedom In Arkansas

Members and supporters of the Satanic Temple wheeled a statue of winged, goat-headed creature Baphomet onto the grounds of the Arkansas state capitol on Thursday to horn in on a battle over religious freedom.

The Baphomet rally protested a Ten Commandments monument installed last year outside the state capitol after lawmakers approved it in 2015. In May, the American Civil Liberties Union sued on behalf of four Arkansas women to remove the monument, saying it violates the First Amendment’s guarantee of religious liberty for all.
Sadie Satanas
‏ @SadieSatanas

Baphomet has arrived. #hailsatan

... At a counterprotest a day prior to the rally, opponents of the Satanic Temple held signs bearing phrases like “Blasphemy is not free speech,” “Satan has NO rights,” and “Honk for Jesus.”
Lucien Greaves (spokesman and co-founder of the Satanic Temple, :lol: )
‏ @LucienGreaves

Everybody is getting excited for our rally tomorrow in Little Rock!

... Satanic Temple members have been involved in others protests for religious freedom. Because evangelical Christians won a Supreme Court decision allowing them to teach classes on public school grounds, the Satanic Temple launched its own (forked) tongue-in-cheek “After School Satan Club” featuring “rationality” and “fun.”

After School Satan Clubs coming to public schools

... Last week, a federal district judge in Arizona denied the city of Scottsdale’s motion to dismiss a lawsuit from the group for denying its members the opportunity to give an invocation at a city council meeting. The case will now go forward....
:-|| Nice sized crowd. Hail Satan. Comments:
I'm going to start the Church of Quantum Mechanics and String Theory.
South Park will not run out of material...
Don't worry. The Religious Liberty Task Force will come to the aid of Baphomet. That's why it was created, right?
BLAS·PHE·MY:- NOUN
"Actions, speech or artworks which show disrespect to religion, or makes light of the pretend characters portrayed by their believers."
Color me guilty!
Why can't these weird liberals understand that when we say religious freedom we mean only freedom for christians? The rest of you have chosen not to accept our lord and shall perish in the depth of hell. Freedom applies only to the ones we say it does.MAGA!!!
The Satanic Temple v. Scottsdale Will Set 9th Circuit Precedent

On Thursday a Federal Judge David G. Campbell in Arizona district court denied the City of Scottsdale’s motion to dismiss The Satanic Temple’s (TST’s) lawsuit against Scottsdale for denying them the opportunity to give an invocation at a City Council meeting. This means the case will be moving forward and stands ready to shape case law for invocations at government meetings for the entire 9th Circuit....
Federal Judge David G. Campbell was appointed by Shrub.

:---P Hail Satan.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

American Charged In Uganda After Racist Assault On Hotel Workers
A video shows the man striking out, using a racial slur and telling the staff they have to obey him.

... He follows the workers to the lobby, where he berates them and accuses them of hating Jesus....

Taylor told police that he is a religious missionary and former U.S. Marine, the Kampala Post reported.

He claims the assault was due to an illness that caused him to have stress, according to the Post.
Whoa.
Privately - I would have dropped him.
Professionally - Security in room, restraints if necessary, immediate Haldol injection.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Stop calling us mormans

Top god talker "Russell M Nelson, president of the church and the world’s most senior member, says this cannot go on."

His announcement was sent out to all the brethren on their "official press site, mormonnewsroom.org. The religion’s main website remains mormon.org."

So it goes as well with the "major advertising campaign that had the strapline “I’m a Mormon” and a documentary series called Meet the Mormons"

Oh, and you can't say LDS either.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:56 am
Stop calling us mormans

Top god talker "Russell M Nelson, president of the church and the world’s most senior member, says this cannot go on."

His announcement was sent out to all the brethren on their "official press site, mormonnewsroom.org. The religion’s main website remains mormon.org."

So it goes as well with the "major advertising campaign that had the strapline “I’m a Mormon” and a documentary series called Meet the Mormons"

:wtf:

Please stop calling us Mormons, says leader of church
“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue, which is probably why both followers of the church and the general public have tended...

The artists formerly known as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, who will presumably now need a new name.

The Book of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Uh, okay. :crazy:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:53 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:56 am
Stop calling us mormans

:wtf:

Please stop calling us Mormons, says leader of church
“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue, which is probably why both followers of the church and the general public have tended...

The artists formerly known as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, who will presumably now need a new name.

The Book of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Uh, okay. :crazy:

thanks.
I gotta get the review thing down. I copied the link but never pasted.

Here it is

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... day-saints
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:06 am
thanks.
I gotta get the review thing down. I copied the link but never pasted.

Here it is

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... day-saints
Thank you. Interesting topic, made me go looking.

"Russell M Nelson says the faith should only be referred to by its full, 11-syllable name"

We now know that he has never once used Twitter.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Alabama preacher "speaks in tongues" to complain that witchcraft is going to harm Trump.
https://flipboard.com/topic/liberal/wat ... wstory.com

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:36 pm
Alabama preacher "speaks in tongues" to complain that witchcraft is going to harm Trump.
To be fair, with tens of millions of women opposing the Grabber in Chief, including Hillary :D , he is correct to an extent. ;) :wave:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:26 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:36 pm
To be fair, with tens of millions of women opposing the Grabber in Chief, including Hillary :D , he is correct to an extent. ;) :wave:
I remember this idiot, but I can't remember exactly what the scandal was that caused him to run over the state line. He was living in a million dollar house and all his other excesses were big news, but there was some big scandal.

"He said, ‘Pray for him now, because he said there’s about to be a shift, and the Deep State is about to manifest, and it’s going to be a showdown like you can’t believe,'” Kilpatrick continued. “So, I’m coming to you as a prophet, as a man of God, and I’m telling you, it’s time to pray for the president.”

The congregation enthusiastically agreed with cheers."

didn't he just violate his tax exempt status?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just to be clear, I meant literal witches above, not figurative ones. :D
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:23 pm
I remember this idiot,

Pastor John Kilpatrick of Church of His Presence in Daphne, Alabama

but I can't remember exactly what the scandal was that caused him to run over the state line. He was living in a million dollar house and all his other excesses were big news, but there was some big scandal.

Probably this:
Wiki: Brownsville Revival
Pensacola News Journal expose, 5 day! series:
Brownsville Revival: The Money and the Myths
Butthurt response, whether meritorious or not:
Official Brownsville Response To Pensacola News Journal Articles
Internal dissension:
Answering "Counterfeit" Revival Leader, Rev. John Kilpatrick
More recently:
Famed ‘Brownsville Revival’ Church Is on the Edge of Financial Ruin

I barely skimmed, maybe you'll want to take a trip down memory lane.

"He said, ‘Pray for him now, because he said there’s about to be a shift, and the Deep State is about to manifest, and it’s going to be a showdown like you can’t believe,'” Kilpatrick continued. “So, I’m coming to you as a prophet, as a man of God, and I’m telling you, it’s time to pray for the president.”

The congregation enthusiastically agreed with cheers."

didn't he just violate his tax exempt status?
No, they are only restricted from endorsing or opposing a candidate. They can push any issues they want and pray for anyone they want. Then, even the proscription on endorsing/opposing a candidate is no longer enforced thanks to Christian con screeching, congressional indifference or hostility, and an IRS cowed by some Obama era excesses in targeting con groups.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Pat Robertson thinks he is Wonder Woman, nttawwt.
Pat Robertson Casts ‘Shield Of Protection’ Ahead Of Hurricane Florence
Televangelist sends out an anti-storm incantation via the Christian Broadcasting Network.

Televangelist Pat Robertson broke out a prayer that sounded more like a wizard’s spell as he attempted to block the approach of Hurricane Florence....

Speaking in Virginia, home of his Christian Broadcasting Network and in the potential path of the storm, Robertson cited a Bible passage in which Jesus commanded the wind and water on the Sea of Galilee to “be still.”

Then the preacher said he and his followers could accomplish the same “if we are together with one accord.”

In a clip posted online by Right Wing Watch, he asked followers to “put a hand out toward the Atlantic” and repeat an incantation.

“In the name of Jesus, you Hurricane Florence, we speak to you in the name of Jesus, and we command the storm to cease its forward motion and go harmlessly into the Atlantic. Go up north away from land and veer off in the name of Jesus. We declare in the name of the lord that you shall go no farther, you shall do no damage in this area.”

He also declared a “shield of protection” over the Virginia area in which he was speaking and around “innocent people” in the storm’s path.

“In Jesus’ holy name, be out to sea!” he called out.

He warned followers that they must have no doubts in their faith for the ritual to work but added that the “shield” has worked against previous hurricanes.

“It’s almost hilarious to see them try,” he said. “They try to get in and they can’t, and then they go north and they turn around, try to come back in. They can’t do it.” ...
:crazy:

Could he get some believers killed with this crap? Comments:
To receive Pat Robertson's Protective Shield, send $19.95, includes S&H, to Televangelist Hurricane Protection Shield. Right now, with this impending hurricane moving fast, he will add a second protective shield for the price of $19.95; just pay for S&H. Call 1-800-GOD-PROTECT, now!, before the hurricane destroys your home, and perhaps you and your love ones. Don't wait, call now. Pat Robertson has a hotline to God, and he tells Him whom to protect. Robertson's proven Protect Shield of prayers saved countless lives and billions of dollars from destruction in Puerto Rico with Hurricane Maria; and don't forget Katrina because Pat's work was there also. Call now.
Good, I'm taking my generator, power cords, gas, bottled water, flash lights, medical kit and food supplies back for a refund!
Pat of all people should know that for his incantation to work he has to be in a small boat right in front of the hurricane.
And when the storm strikes land anyway it will be because his followers didn't have enough faith.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

That's a steal, probably cheaper than calling one of those psychic networks!