The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:05 pm
Here's a headline you probably don't see very often...

Naked Jehovah’s Witnesses who 'kidnapped their neighbours believed Armageddon was coming'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/naked-jehova ... 44718.html
It appears the RCMP wasn't effective in getting to their dealer first.

From the comments:
"I was called the Devil (by Jehovah’s Witnesses) because I believe in a strong military and defending myself... silly me right~!"
Who'da thunk Vrede was a JW? :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I've never said that I'm a pacifist or that I'm against self-defense. You fail, again.
O Really wrote:

Naked Jehovah’s Witnesses who 'kidnapped their neighbours believed Armageddon was coming'

Comments:
"One of the women involved also admitted dangerous driving" - I feel like that statement sums up the natural sweetness of Canadians. Even though they may committed kidnapping in the buff they also felt compelled to admit to driving badly as well.
I once had a group of Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door. It was a very hot day so I invited them in and offered them water. I then sat down at the table with them and said "So, what do you want to talk about?" They looked at each other sort of perplexed and one of them said "We don't know. We've never gotten this far before".
Seems unlikely, but still funny.
Yet another good reason to be registered with the Jehovah's Witness Protection Program.
The greatest thing about the thousands and thousands of Doomsday predictions are how accurate they all are.
I'm just stunned that this happened in some place other than Florida.
Maybe they are on to something. I often wondered why the stun gun never affected them when they come to my door.
:lol: My favorite.
We engineers in the military industrial complex are the ones with the responsibility of keeping Armageddon on schedule, not JW
Well at least they had a good reason.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Saw those too. Funny.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:36 pm
I've never said that I'm a pacifist or that I'm against self-defense. You fail, again.
O Really wrote:

Comments:
"One of the women involved also admitted dangerous driving" - I feel like that statement sums up the natural sweetness of Canadians. Even though they may committed kidnapping in the buff they also felt compelled to admit to driving badly as well.
I once had a group of Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door. It was a very hot day so I invited them in and offered them water. I then sat down at the table with them and said "So, what do you want to talk about?" They looked at each other sort of perplexed and one of them said "We don't know. We've never gotten this far before".
Seems unlikely, but still funny.
Yet another good reason to be registered with the Jehovah's Witness Protection Program.
The greatest thing about the thousands and thousands of Doomsday predictions are how accurate they all are.
I'm just stunned that this happened in some place other than Florida.
Maybe they are on to something. I often wondered why the stun gun never affected them when they come to my door.
:lol: My favorite.
We engineers in the military industrial complex are the ones with the responsibility of keeping Armageddon on schedule, not JW
Well at least they had a good reason.
Years ago, I answered the door and without looking at the adults, I told the kids to reject this jumping Jehovah nonsense and to go forth in the world and get a real education.

For twenty years now, even after several moves, they still skip my house as they canvas the neighborhood.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:06 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:53 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:56 am
Stop calling us mormans

Top god talker "Russell M Nelson, president of the church and the world’s most senior member, says this cannot go on."

His announcement was sent out to all the brethren on their "official press site, mormonnewsroom.org. The religion’s main website remains mormon.org."

So it goes as well with the "major advertising campaign that had the strapline “I’m a Mormon” and a documentary series called Meet the Mormons"

Oh, and you can't say LDS either.
:wtf:

Please stop calling us Mormons, says leader of church
“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue, which is probably why both followers of the church and the general public have tended...

The artists formerly known as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, who will presumably now need a new name.

The Book of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Uh, okay. :crazy:

thanks.
I gotta get the review thing down. I copied the link but never pasted.

Here it is

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... day-saints

he did it. there is no longer any such thing as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. There was a push for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Tabernacle Choir, but the shorter name, the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square won the day.

"We're not changing names. We're correcting a name,"Nelson said. "Some marketers change names hoping to be more successful — that's not our point. We're correcting an error that's crept in over the ages."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mormo ... li=BBnb7Kz
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:22 pm
he did it. there is no longer any such thing as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. There was a push for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Tabernacle Choir, but the shorter name, the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square won the day.

"We're not changing names. We're correcting a name,"Nelson said. "Some marketers change names hoping to be more successful — that's not our point. We're correcting an error that's crept in over the ages."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mormo ... li=BBnb7Kz
:lol: Darn, I was kinda hoping for The Artists Formerly Known as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. If they do a tour does the name change? The Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square at Madison Square Garden, for example, is pretty clunky. Would an outdoor show in DC be the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square at Dupont Circle? How about an Atlantic cruise - the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square in the Bermuda Triangle?

The book title may not change.
The full church name was given by revelation from God to founder Joseph Smith in 1838, according to the faith's beliefs. The term Mormon comes from the faith's signature scripture, the Book of Mormon, which is based on the record keeping of an ancient prophet named Mormon, according to the faith's beliefs.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So finding consistent TV programming while traveling can sometimes be challenging. Satellite works everywhere - unless you're parked under or close to a tree or otherwise obstructed; some RV parks have "cable", but it's never HD and much of the time is snowy - largely because it's not really a signal direct from the cable company, but is a signal distributed within the park off of a satellite. Roku is working reasonably well, but the wi-fi is sometimes spotty. And our on-air broadcast antenna works well, too - as long as there are stations within 35 miles or so.

But my question - and why we're in "The Religion Thread" is that I've noticed that if there are hardly any accessible on-air signals, the one(s) there are most often some religious station. Stop off somewhere a long way from any town and try to get an on-air signal. What you get is the station that's "Wayne's World" but "Wayne" is trying to "save" the world. Who would think that if you're going to put up a low-power TV station in the middle of nowhere you'd choose a religious format?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:12 pm
So finding consistent TV programming while traveling can sometimes be challenging. Satellite works everywhere - unless you're parked under or close to a tree or otherwise obstructed; some RV parks have "cable", but it's never HD and much of the time is snowy - largely because it's not really a signal direct from the cable company, but is a signal distributed within the park off of a satellite. Roku is working reasonably well, but the wi-fi is sometimes spotty. And our on-air broadcast antenna works well, too - as long as there are stations within 35 miles or so.

But my question - and why we're in "The Religion Thread" is that I've noticed that if there are hardly any accessible on-air signals, the one(s) there are most often some religious station. Stop off somewhere a long way from any town and try to get an on-air signal. What you get is the station that's "Wayne's World" but "Wayne" is trying to "save" the world. Who would think that if you're going to put up a low-power TV station in the middle of nowhere you'd choose a religious format?
Could it be because religious stations don't need to rely on ads or even have to have viewers? They just need someone funding them, and Wayne really just needs a trailer and money for hair gel.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:30 pm
O Really wrote:

Could it be because religious stations don't need to rely on ads or even have to have viewers? They just need someone funding them, and Wayne really just needs a trailer and money for hair gel.

Same as middle of nowhere AM in the 60s -

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Who would think that if you're going to put up a low-power TV station in the middle of nowhere you'd choose a religious format?
I would say money. Millions of religious charlatans out there scheming to get your money. Christians tend to be so gullible when pleas for charitable causes are broadcast over airwave media, namely because they think that type of media is more trustworthy than internet or newspaper ads. It's a "send your check to P.O. Box-----" world. Unfortunately, legitimate fund-raisers get screwed.

Low power broadcast (mostly AM/FM) licenses can be had with no cost or very little cost. Signal strength varies from a few hundred feet to several blocks, or further depending on your license. You've seen these signs by realtors in front of a house they're trying to sell? "Tune your radio to 98.7 for details on this home!" In many of the neighborhoods around here, practically every tenth house has a similar sign advertising religion, pet care, palm reading, low-cost dental, car detailing, and so on. Money. That's what it is. Money.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Indian police map area of island where US man was killed

No sympathy for the sheer arrogance of a kid that wished to impose his Oral Roberts U. Christianity on a content people that warned outsiders away before and even warned him away with a failed arrow attack. Leave his body wherever it is. It's not worth risking injury to the authorities and especially the islanders.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:44 pm

No sympathy ...
None whatsoever. Hang his head on a stick as a warning to others for all I care. Leave those people alone.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:43 pm
Vrede too wrote:
No sympathy ...
None whatsoever. Hang his head on a stick as a warning to others for all I care. Leave those people alone.
I sent the above to the Indian Embassy, pic1.washington@mea.gov.in , and the US Embassy in New Delhi, acsnd@state.gov .
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

If the islanders were cannibals would he be Chau chow? :wave:

TV news says that he wrote while just off the island: "Don't retrieve my body." (underlining his)

Was John Allen Chau hoping to be a martyr? Maybe he's hoping to rise like Zombie Jesus and minister to the heathens.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Found:
Apparently, the people on Sentinel island do not believe in illegal immigration.
PUT AN EPISODE OF SURVIVOR THERE!
He was voted off the island Sentilenese style.
2018 Darwin Awards

Next Prev Random Honoring Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool--by removing themselves from it.

Selfie Seeker + Isolated Island Tribe + Arrows
2018 Darwin Award Winner
Confirmed True by Darwin

World Explorer or Christian Martyr? The most isolated tribe on Earth kills Selfie Seeker

(14 November 2018, Andaman Islands, India) John Allen Chau, a self proclaimed world explorer inspired by David Livingston and Jesus, was killed by the very tribe of natives he was offering eternal life. According to the BBC in Delhi, Chau bribed 6 fishermen to ferry him to the off-limits island so he could give the Sentinelese tribe gifts of scissors, a soccer ball, and Jesus.

In a letter he wrote to his family, this Vancouver resident and Alabama native said he wanted to make contact with the 60,000 year old tribe because "The eternal lives of this [Sentinelese] tribe is at hand."

He paddled to the island in a kayak and was immediately "attacked by arrows but continued walking," stated the global news agency AFP. The fishermen then witnessed the natives "tying a rope around his neck and dragging his body" along the shore.

The tribe, the most isolated on earth, has taken a well documented, zero tolerance approach to visitors since the British almost wiped them out during an occupation in the 1800's. It's no surprise Chau's body remains unrecovered.

Was he a martyr as his friends claim on Instagram, a missionary according to his parents, or just a selfie seeker potentially subjecting the tribe to life threatening disease because he couldn't "wait to see them around the throne of God worshiping in their own language as Revelation 7:9-10 states"? We'll never truly know, since the tribe doesn't seem to have updated their social media accounts in quite some time.

READER COMMENTS:
"Slings and arrows of outrageous...stupidity." J.Foreman" "The cure for total stupidity: Arrows." -S.Naf
"We'll miss him at the award ceremony."
"Can't say his death was pointless." -C.Hirst :lol: My favorite.
"Does it count as a Darwin Award if he planned to remain celibate?" -P.Carafa
"What piercing insight! he was well shafted, wasn't he?" -D.Jones
"Paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, arrow beats bible." -C.Reece
"Hopefully they will bury some clown shoes in his honor." -E.D.Hubbard
"You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day," Psalm 91:5
"He wanted to introduce them to Jesus. Instead they introduced him to Jesus." -M.Barrett

Laurence Lubin says, "And it wasn't a one-off. He attempted to land on the island three or four times. The shot at him the first time he landed and he paddled his kayak back. He returned. The smashed his kayak and he had to swim to the boat. The last time...well. The wages of stupidity are often death."

More at the link.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:43 pm
Vrede too wrote:

No sympathy ...
We are not alone:

Calls to leave US missionary's body on tribe's island
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I wish they'd quit calling that guy a "missionary". He's no more a missionary than the migrants seeking asylum are "invaders." Just because he thinks he can order a pizza doesn't mean he can speak Italian.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:52 pm
I wish they'd quit calling that guy a "missionary". He's no more a missionary than the migrants seeking asylum are "invaders." Just because he thinks he can order a pizza doesn't mean he can speak Italian.
What's the distinction between him and "real" missionaries?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Probably none, except in my own mind. But if "real" missionaries were accountants, I'd see him as the guy guaranteeing to save you money on taxes by declaring sovereignty. I'm no fan of those who set out to "spread the word" but really, a lot of them do some good. And they do it by finding out what the place they're going to needs - houses, fresh water, school, how-to, whatever - and providing it to them. Then while the locals are enjoying the water they can now drink from the filters the missionaries gave them, the missionaries can say, "oh by the way, I'm going to tell you about a different god from yours..." Not that I don't find that approach sneaky, but it does help the locals. This loon Chau was giving them nothing they needed, going where he was unwanted, trying to force his way into their (legally) secluded home, and thinks he can communicate when he doesn't even know what language they speak. Flim-flam man idiot.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Mormons have been enormously active and successful with missionary work. Not that they are necessarily worse or better than any other missions, but I Wikied them.
Types of missionaries

Proselytizing

The most visible and most common type of missionaries are typically those who proselytize door-to-door and ride bicycles for transportation....

Humanitarian aid

The LDS Church also has a strong welfare and humanitarian missionary program. These humanitarian missionaries typically serve in impoverished areas of the world and do not actively proselytize. Humanitarian missionaries comply with any local laws regarding teaching or displaying religious symbols, including the identifying name tags. This allows them to provide services and aid in countries where activities by religious organizations are typically restricted or forbidden, such as in predominantly Muslim countries or in Southeast Asia. Regular proselytizing missionaries are asked to engage in welfare activities and community service, limited to four hours a week on days other than weekends or preparation day....
Seems that Chau was the proselytizing sort, though he might have also done service work if they'd let him live. He was supposedly committed for the long term.

Another difference is that Chau was mostly a loose cannon, though there may have been people here supporting him to various degrees. In theory, missionaries that are official representatives are moderated by group wisdom, though there are plenty of examples of destructive missions. Some of the religious rightwing anti-gay and anti-abortion work in the developing world would qualify.
1312. ETTD.