The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

JTA wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:03 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 pm
JTA wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:14 pm
The Bible Belt:

They must be more righteous across the state line in Virginia. I've never seen so many strip type clubs advertised as there are along I-77 just inside w.v. close to peterstown.
Driving through Florida, I remember being struck by the alternating "Hellfire, brimstone, Jesus is Lord, abortion is bad" billboards, the strip club/sex shop billboards, and the personal injury lawyer billboards.

It perfectly represents the moral rot of decaying main-street American culture.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:04 am
McDonalds 5 miles ahead

To me exemplifies our decaying society as much as anything else.
Ignore where and what you are, ignore your community welfare, accept corporate greed as it shutters all competition and ships your community's wealth off to CEOs a thousand miles away.
Yeah, and McDonald's and strip clubs can be unsavory, too. :D
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

we may need a thread just for the evanjelloical crazies. They occupy a special place in our world and don’t quite fit under the more general catagories of Religion or Movies, but for now Religion it is. Vrede is in charge of the movie review.

Liberty University Is Making A Movie About Trump-Loving ‘Firefighter Prophet’ Mark Taylor

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/libe ... ign=bestof

“Mark Taylor is a former firefighter who claims that while he was watching Fox News back in 2011, God personally told him that Donald Trump would become president of the United States. Taylor initially thought that meant that Trump would challenge President Obama when he ran for re-election in 2012, but when that didn’t happen, Taylor realized that was because it was God’s plan to keep Obama in office for a second term so that Americans could “build a righteous anger” necessary to elect Trump and thereby save the world.”
“When Trump was elected president in 2016, Taylor penned a book titled “The Trump Prophecies: The Astonishing True Story Of The Man Who Saw Tomorrow… And What He Says Is Coming Next” and quickly made a name for himself as a modem-day prophet and radical conspiracy theorist.”

And I always thought prophecy books were written before events – especially astonishing prophecy books. Can’t wait for Vrede’s review.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

It certainly helps that Trump had been making noises about running for President for over a decade before prophet boy made his "prediction." In 2011 Trump spent roughly $1 million in research exploring a presidential run.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:40 pm
... “Mark Taylor is a former firefighter who claims that while he was watching Fox News back in 2011 ...

And I always thought prophecy books were written before events – especially astonishing prophecy books. Can’t wait for Vrede’s review.
I reviewed the book and movie back in 2010. Look it up. I predicted this petition, too:
No way am I signing, you can't stop God's will.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Anybody notice the irony of Easter being on April Fool's Day?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:57 pm
What irony?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:29 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:57 pm
What irony?
:lol:
As I think about it, maybe Easter should become a fixed holiday on April 1. It wouldn't be the first time Christians have misappropriated somebody else's holiday, including much of Easter, actually.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Gizmodo: Conservative Wingnuts Celebrate Easter by Complaining About Google Doodles, Like Jesus Would
Google, you see, does its level best not to make use of religious iconography or promote specific religious festivals—occasionally marking those that have become secularized, like Valentine’s day.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:07 pm
Gizmodo: Conservative Wingnuts Celebrate Easter by Complaining About Google Doodles, Like Jesus Would
Google, you see, does its level best not to make use of religious iconography or promote specific religious festivals—occasionally marking those that have become secularized, like Valentine’s day.
... Still, traditions must be observed. In a one-sentence blog from 2007, the National Review asked, “I wasn’t expecting a risen Christ, but at least an Easter bunny?” ...
:lol: They're actually whining because Google doesn't celebrate promiscuous Christian transgender traditions that were partially stolen from pagan Spring celebrations.
Easter Bunny: Rabbits and hares

The hare was a popular motif in medieval church art. In ancient times, it was widely believed (as by Pliny, Plutarch, Philostratus, and Aelian) that the hare was a hermaphrodite. The idea that a hare could reproduce without loss of virginity led to an association with the Virgin Mary, with hares sometimes occurring in illuminated manuscripts and Northern European paintings of the Virgin and Christ Child. It may also have been associated with the Holy Trinity, as in the three hares motif. Eggs, like rabbits and hares, are fertility symbols of antiquity. Since birds lay eggs and rabbits and hares give birth to large litters in the early spring, these became symbols of the rising fertility of the earth at the Vernal Equinox.

Rabbits and hares are both prolific breeders. Female hares can conceive a second litter of offspring while still pregnant with the first. This phenomenon is known as superfetation. Lagomorphs mature sexually at an early age and can give birth to several litters a year (hence the saying, "to breed like rabbits" or "to breed like bunnies"). It is therefore not surprising that rabbits and hares should become fertility symbols, or that their springtime mating antics should enter into Easter folklore.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:30 pm
rstrong wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:07 pm
... Still, traditions must be observed. In a one-sentence blog from 2007, the National Review asked, “I wasn’t expecting a risen Christ, but at least an Easter bunny?” ...
:lol: They're actually whining because Google doesn't celebrate promiscuous Christian transgender traditions that were partially stolen from pagan Spring celebrations.
Easter Bunny: Rabbits and hares

The hare was a popular motif in medieval church art. In ancient times, it was widely believed (as by Pliny, Plutarch, Philostratus, and Aelian) that the hare was a hermaphrodite. The idea that a hare could reproduce without loss of virginity led to an association with the Virgin Mary, with hares sometimes occurring in illuminated manuscripts and Northern European paintings of the Virgin and Christ Child. It may also have been associated with the Holy Trinity, as in the three hares motif. Eggs, like rabbits and hares, are fertility symbols of antiquity. Since birds lay eggs and rabbits and hares give birth to large litters in the early spring, these became symbols of the rising fertility of the earth at the Vernal Equinox.

Rabbits and hares are both prolific breeders. Female hares can conceive a second litter of offspring while still pregnant with the first. This phenomenon is known as superfetation. Lagomorphs mature sexually at an early age and can give birth to several litters a year (hence the saying, "to breed like rabbits" or "to breed like bunnies"). It is therefore not surprising that rabbits and hares should become fertility symbols, or that their springtime mating antics should enter into Easter folklore.
During the first meeting of my fiance (huge Catholic family) and her soon to be in-laws (protestants one and all) BIL asks, how do you tell when it will be Easter, it changes all the time. all eyes turn toward the Catholic.

My girl says, "it's a calculation based on whether or not jesus sees his shadow when he rises".

Mostly an ice breaker.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:01 pm
During the first meeting of my fiance (huge Catholic family) and her soon to be in-laws (protestants one and all) BIL asks, how do you tell when it will be Easter, it changes all the time. all eyes turn toward the Catholic.

My girl says, "it's a calculation based on whether or not jesus sees his shadow when he rises".

Mostly an ice breaker.
:D

That makes more sense than:
Easter

... Easter and the holidays that are related to it are moveable feasts which do not fall on a fixed date in the Gregorian or Julian calendars which follow only the cycle of the sun; rather, its date is determined on a lunisolar calendar similar to the Hebrew calendar. The First Council of Nicaea (325) established two rules, independence of the Jewish calendar and worldwide uniformity, which were the only rules for Easter explicitly laid down by the council. No details for the computation were specified; these were worked out in practice, a process that took centuries and generated a number of controversies. It has come to be the first Sunday after the ecclesiastical full moon that occurs on or soonest after 21 March, but calculations vary....
O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:25 am
As I think about it, maybe Easter should become a fixed holiday on April 1. It wouldn't be the first time Christians have misappropriated somebody else's holiday, including much of Easter, actually.
Yeah, we should just do that.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol:
WEIRD NEWS 03/04/2013 10:44 am ET Updated Nov 17, 2014
Chicken Church: Florida’s Church By The Sea Gives World The Bird, Attracts Hundreds

A congregation in Florida is crying fowl after pictures of its chapel made the Internet rounds this week for an unholy reason: the building looks like a chicken.

The “Chicken Church” — also known as Church by the Sea in Madeira Beach and not to be confused with Church’s Chicken — went viral when a photographer noticed that, from just the right angle, the structure’s round windows look like eyes and its roofing tiles resemble wings and a beak. Tourists, reportedly by the hundreds, now line up to take pictures of the visage.

Dee Dee Parker, a longtime member of the church, told the Daily Mail that the Holy Cluck is “funny” and she welcomes the newfound popularity. But church employees interviewed by The Huffington Post disagree.

“We’re not fond of it being called the ‘Chicken Church,’” an employee, who asked not to be named, told HuffPost Weird News. “It’s attracting people to us for all the wrong reasons. I don’t think they’re attracted to come in and worship, I think they’re making fun of it.”

She said that chapel, built in 1944, was not designed to look like a clucker.

HuffPost Weird News also called the chicken experts nearby — employees at Hooters — and a manager there refused to comment.
I think they've gotten used to it. That view of the church is now featured on their homepage, and here's their logo:

Chicken of the Sea?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

The rapture is on April 23rd

Anyone got any plans? I think it's too late for me to put in for vacation.....

O Really
Admiral

Dang, I didn't know. I wouldn't have filed taxes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Plans? I'm outta here, heathen suckers. :angel4:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

bannination wrote:
Again?😱
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:47 pm
bannination wrote:

Again?😱
David Meade also predicted last September. Now, after April 23rd was a bust (I think ;) ):
'Christian Researcher' Has A Head-Spinning New Doomsday Prediction

A self-declared Bible “researcher” and conspiracy theorist who has predicted a number of failed doomsday dates is trying a new tack. Instead of giving a date, he’s giving a range.

David Meade, whose views fall well outside mainstream Christianity, told the Guardian that the biblical “rapture” will take place at some point between May and December of this year. When that happens, the world won’t end but rather the faithful will be plucked off the Earth, leaving the rest behind for seven years of tribulation. Then, he said, there will be 1,000 years of peace and prosperity before the world actually ends, which would occur by the year 3025, give or take.

“So the world isn’t ending anytime soon – in our lifetimes, anyway,” Meade assured the Guardian.

Meade previously predicted the world would end on Sept. 23, 2017. At the time, he didn’t offer a specific form of apocalypse. In the past, however, Meade has used “numerical codes” found in the Bible and claimed that a secret planet called Nibiru was on a collision course with Earth.

Zero astronomers believed Meade’s theory....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

House Chaplain Who Prayed About GOP Tax Bill Fired By Paul Ryan

Okay then.
"benefits balanced and shared by all Americans." - GOP opposed, Dems for.
Got it, thanks Paul.
1312. ETTD.