The homophobic thread :>

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: The homophobic thread :>

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:"The Christian church supported same-sex unions :bs: for a thousand years, roughly from 500CE to 1500CE. This is before the Protestants split off, and before the east-west schism, so we're talking the bulk of mainstream Christianity."
You done spiked the :bs: meter ....
When Same-Sex Marriage Was a Christian Rite

The title is stretching it though. A better description is "same-sex UNIONS." Granted, the church ceremonies for those unions had all the symbols and practices of heterosexual marriages.

C'mon. Learn the history of your own church.

Oh. Did Mr.B bugger off while I was gone?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:And you've still ducked my question.

"What does it (the Bible) mean then, when it says man shall not lie with a man as he would a woman?
If that were written in any venue, what, specifically does or would that mean?
It means no homosexual sex. The Old Testament hath spoken.

But it that the final word of Christianity?

The Old Testament has many other rules that would horrify Christians if they bothered to read them. Requirements to kill people for wearing two types of cloth, trimming their beards etc. Rules on when to sell your daughter as a sex slave. Er, "concubine" or "handmaiden" depending on the version of the Bible.

And so they declare that the Old Testament Mosaic covenant rules are no longer in effect, replaced by the New Testament's New Covenant.

The problems here:

- Many Christians still cherry-pick Old Testament the rules that match their opinions and declare them sacrosanct, while dismissing the rest.

- Mr.B takes it one step further and has some obscure mathematical formula where on some days he'll declare the entire Old Testament to be not part of Christianity at all, and others where he'll quote from it to prove his claims.

- The New Testament does not record Jesus saying anything at all about homosexuality. Given how important some Christians think the issue is, and given that he was teaching his worldview on every other subject, you'd think he'd mention it if he had a big problem with it.

- Christ's New Commandment, repeated over and over, was that everyone must love on-another. Not referring to sex, but this was a big change from the Old Testament commandments to kill all the non-believers, kill their children, kill anyone who wears multiple cloth types or trims their beards, etc. That the rule against homosexuality was dropped along with all the rest, does not sound unreasonable.

- On the other hand, Paul, in his letter to the Corinthians, issued a decree against homosexuality.

- Again, Christians cherry-pick this according to their opinions and phobias. Mr.B for example considers this decree sacrosanct, while utterly dismissing the decree in the same letter strictly forbidding women from speaking in church.

- In any case, the religion of Jesus Christ was a Jewish doomsday cult, but still Jewish. It slowly evolved over the next century into it's own distinct religion, much of that change steered by Paul. Important elements like Christ's resurrection and ascension, didn't show up in New Testament writings until centuries later. Many competing Christian books, beliefs and practices were edited out and forbidden in synods over the next 350 years. Bits were added. Elements like the Star of Bethlehem are still being added in modern times. Which brings me to the biggest problem I have with modern pop-culture-Christians: Given the evolution of the religion since Christ, are they really Christian? If I were to become Christian, why would I choose modern (say, post 350AD) Christianity over the beliefs and practices of Christians at the time of Christ's death?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:... Oh. Did Mr.B bugger ( :lol: ) off while I was gone?
Yep, other than lurking and PMing.

http://blueridgedebate.com/viewtopic.ph ... ker#p52772

One or two here think that he might be Seth Milner.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

homerfobe wrote:Stop them from what?
O Really wrote: "Stop them from what"?
Getting elected
Getting anybody who agrees with them elected
Having any significant impact on legislation
Imposing their craziness on American society
That's just plain silly.
The Liberal way or no way at all? Only Conservative thinkers are crazy? Everyone who votes should all have the same mindset? Let's look at this:
Let's say I'm a very wealthy, liberal-leaning man and I donate several million to Right Wing Watch. Then what? How is throwing all that money at what you've described going to help their so-called cause? Buying votes, maybe? What's to keep those Right Wing Watch fat-cats from loading up on fine automobiles, private jets, luxurious mansions and so on? Are you left-wingers so naïve to think that would never happen? I don't care how someone votes, or how their minds click; lay out a pile of money before them, and before long you'll be reading in the news where somehow or the other, a bunch of that money went missing and the suspected party(ies) are living it up in another country. Then what happens to that great battle to rid the world of conservative thinkers? Curious minds want to know.

Theses organizations that hawk for donations via the Internet, robo-calls, petitions, and other advertising venues have never nor will ever get one red cent from me. They prey on the weak-minded, ultra-religious, conscientious Christians, and those with "our way or no way" thinking. They ought to be outlawed.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:

As long as I know who I am, I'm not concerned. :lol: Who do you think I am; I know of one who's preoccupied with me.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Seth Milner wrote:
homerfobe wrote:Stop them from what?
O Really wrote: "Stop them from what"?
Getting elected
Getting anybody who agrees with them elected
Having any significant impact on legislation
Imposing their craziness on American society
That's just plain silly.
The Liberal way or no way at all? Only Conservative thinkers are crazy? Everyone who votes should all have the same mindset? Let's look at this:
Let's say I'm a very wealthy, liberal-leaning man and I donate several million to Right Wing Watch. Then what? How is throwing all that money at what you've described going to help their so-called cause? Buying votes, maybe? What's to keep those Right Wing Watch fat-cats from loading up on fine automobiles, private jets, luxurious mansions and so on? Are you left-wingers so naïve to think that would never happen? I don't care how someone votes, or how their minds click; lay out a pile of money before them, and before long you'll be reading in the news where somehow or the other, a bunch of that money went missing and the suspected party(ies) are living it up in another country. Then what happens to that great battle to rid the world of conservative thinkers? Curious minds want to know.

Theses organizations that hawk for donations via the Internet, robo-calls, petitions, and other advertising venues have never nor will ever get one red cent from me. They prey on the weak-minded, ultra-religious, conscientious Christians, and those with "our way or no way" thinking. They ought to be outlawed.
It's not silly at all. Look, I don't know anything about "Right Wing Watch" and certainly any organization could be corrupted. What I was doing was answering Homo's question as to what one would want to stop "the Right Wing" from doing. First and foremost is stop them from getting elected. That's just fundamental American politics - oh, so maybe it is silly. But your using the term "Conservative thinkers" to apply to the right wing fringe is like hunters using "harvest" instead of "kill." There are very few "conservative thinkers" left. Compare the current crop of Presidential candidates to Republicans in the past. Consider that Goldwater wouldn't be nearly "conservative" enough for today's party. Neither would Bill Buckley. Look at what has happened when the right wingers do get elected. Try Kansas as an example. Also NC. Do you know why the Democrats kept a majority in the NC legislature for a hundred years or whatever it was? Because they were a diverse group all along the ideology spectrum. Some conservatives, some liberals, mostly moderates. And when Republican governor Holshouser was elected, he was a middle-roader whose "accomplishments in office included consolidation of the University of North Carolina system under a Board of Governors, capital improvement funding for the community college system, statewide enrollment for children in kindergarten, and establishment of health clinics in rural areas not served by local physicians." Does that sound like anything any of the current right wingers would do?

Yes, hell yes. Stop them from getting elected.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Seth Milner wrote:
[color=#BF0000]Vrede too[/color] wrote:

http://blueridgedebate.com/viewtopic.ph ... ker#p52772

As long as I know who I am, I'm not concerned. :lol: Who do you think I am; I know of one who's preoccupied with me.
As I've posted before, I don't think you're Mr.B. Whether your real name is Seth Miller and you live where you say you do, I don't care. Such declarations on the web are meaningless without more details and evidence or a track record of credibility.

Your condemnation of all NGOs sounds like more excuse making for your cynicism, apathy, stinginess and inaction.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"Sanctity of marriage":
Kentucky Clerk Fighting Gay Marriage Has Wed Four Times

... She gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband. They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second....
:lol:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Kentucky Clerk has Ass Handed to Her in Court

Offered chance to comply or quit. Refused. Jailed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/clerk- ... &ocid=iehp

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:Kentucky Clerk has Ass Handed to Her in Court

Justice.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:Kentucky Clerk has Ass Handed to Her in Court

Justice.
Orange Is The New Redneck.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

I think this lady has been led down the primrose path by somebody. Probably that "religious freedom" group that isn't putting their own asses on the line. There is no legal defense to refusal to perform an essential part of your job for "religious" reasons. Even applying the concept of religious discrimination (which doesn't apply), religion can't be used without limit as an excuse for not performing. For example, a person working in a packing house could say "my religion doesn't allow me to touch dead pig." So if the employer can assign them to the beef or seafood section, it has an obligation to do so. But if most of the meat processed is pork, the employer isn't obligated to incur significant cost or disruption to accommodate them, such as making up a new job, creating a pork-free section, etc.

Here's what they could have done, if everyone were reasonable: Davis "My religion doesn't let me issue marriage licenses to gay people, but the Deputies are heathens and they can do it." But she's going past standing for her beliefs, and is demanding the rest of her office join her in defying the law.

I wonder how long she'll sit in jail before she decides to quit her $80K job that's been in her family for decades. Do you know how far $80K would go in Boondock, KY? In Morehead, "The median income for a household in the city was $24,014, and the median income for a family was $34,375. Males had a median income of $23,950 versus $19,455 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,415. About 16.7% of families and 26.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.8% of those under age 18 and 15.6% of those age 65 or over."

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

There's one other social change I found notable about the judge's decision: His reasoning for choosing jail over fines.

He said that fines would not work because others might raise money to pay the penalty on her behalf.

He's recognized the new age of quick and easy internet crowd funding. Money for such cause was a lot less reliable and a lot slower when people had to get out their cheque books - if they had them - and mail in the cheques - if they could be bothered.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

"I'm headed to Kentucky on Tuesday to stand with Kim Davis. We must end the criminalization of Christianity."
- Mike Huckabee, Republican candidate for president and former governor of Arkansas
First they came for the racists, and I spoke out—
Because I only needed the old white vote.

Then they came for the misogynists, and I spoke out—
Because I only needed the old white male vote.

Then they came for the homophobes, and I spoke out—
Because I only needed the old white male Christian-right vote.

Then they came for me—and there was no one who bought my miracle-cure books claiming cinnamon rolls as a cure for diabetes left alive to speak for me.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

If gay people want to make the same mistake as straight people let them.

Also, no one is forcing that lady to work that job. If she disagrees with issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, then why not quit and find a new job if its that big of a deal? What if my religion specifies I must smoke a J every hour on the hour, but my job drug and tests me because I operate heavy machinery? Time for a new job I 'spose.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:If gay people want to make the same mistake as straight people let them.

Also, no one is forcing that lady to work that job. If she disagrees with issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, then why not quit and find a new job if its that big of a deal? What if my religion specifies I must smoke a J every hour on the hour, but my job drug and tests me because I operate heavy machinery? Time for a new job I 'spose.
She doesn't want to give up the $80K for not much work in an area she isn't likely hireable at anything else. But in your example, you'd be out of luck because protection of religious rights (or rites) doesn't allow you to do something otherwise illegal.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:If she disagrees with issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, then why not quit and find a new job if its that big of a deal?.
Nepotism. Her mother had the job for decades, and hired her. She worked in the office for decades, eventually succeeding her mother. Then she hired her son, who is now the one hold-out of the deputy clerks refusing to do his job.

There are only so many county government offices, and only so many relatives running them. That makes finding a new job hard for someone like her.

O Really
Admiral

All of that considered, I wonder what her real issue is. Clearly she's not going to win on refusal, and quitting would upend her entire life. Looks like the question is going to be "do I want a comfortable living, or not?" I'm thinking those ummm, "encouraging" her may be promising some reward. Otherwise, it would make no sense for her to give up her job.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Maybe you can verify this, rstrong: I heard Canada is working on a bill that will prosecute those who harass or commit crimes specifically aimed at Muslims. The US is already in a highly elevated coddling state, so I have to wonder about this:

Muslims still impose the death penalty for homosexuality. If that clerk in Kentucky had been a Muslim, do you think she would have landed in jail for failing to do her job because of religious anti-homosexuality beliefs? Also this, why wasn't that clerk fired to begin with? Why did that judge feel it his was his almighty duty to send her to jail, rather than have her replaced?

In the Supreme court ruling legalizing homosexual marriage, wasn't it also ruled that another's rights were not to be compromised in implementing this law? It seems to me that religious freedom is being trumped by this newly-formed freedom.

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:Also this, why wasn't that clerk fired to begin with? Why did that judge feel it his was his almighty duty to send her to jail, rather than have her replaced?

In the Supreme court ruling legalizing homosexual marriage, wasn't it also ruled that another's rights were not to be compromised in implementing this law? It seems to me that religious freedom is being trumped by this newly-formed freedom.
She is an elected official. Can't be fired. Only impeached. Kentucky has no recall law. Legislature won't meet again until next year.

I don't know about "almighty duty" but it is his job to compel compliance with the law. He gave her every chance, including specifically saying, "look, you don't have to issue licenses. Just don't interfere with your deputies doing so. Will you do that?" She said "no." What choice but jail did the judge have?