Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

Louisville takes Papa John's off name of Cardinal Stadium

Louisville’s Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium is now simply Cardinal Stadium.

The school announced Friday that it would be taking John Schnatter’s name off the stadium following the revelation that he used a racial slur on a conference call in May. Schnatter, a major Louisville booster, had resigned from the school’s board of trustees earlier in the week and resigned from his role as Papa John’s chairman of the board on Wednesday night....

Now that he’s not the chairman of the board of the company he founded, Schnatter’s face is disappearing from all of Papa John’s marketing materials....

The pizza kingpin is no stranger to controversy, especially recently. He resigned as the company’s CEO in December after he said the NFL’s response to protests during the national anthem had hurt the company’s stock price. Papa John’s was at that time the official pizza of the NFL and that partnership dissolved in February.
:---P
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:39 pm
Richmond school named after confederate general will be changed to Barack Obama Elementary

... The Richmond Public School Board voted 6-1 Monday to change the name of J.E.B Stuart Elementary School ...
:lol: :thumbup:
From the comments: I hear the Bunny Ranch in Nevada is changing it's name to The Clinton Foundation. :lol: :lol:
Ya think maybe changing the name is supposed to help increase grade scores? :idea:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:23 pm
Louisville takes Papa John's off name of Cardinal Stadium

Louisville’s Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium is now simply Cardinal Stadium.

The school announced Friday that it would be taking John Schnatter’s name off the stadium following the revelation that he used a racial slur on a conference call in May. Schnatter, a major Louisville booster, had resigned from the school’s board of trustees earlier in the week and resigned from his role as Papa John’s chairman of the board on Wednesday night....

Now that he’s not the chairman of the board of the company he founded, Schnatter’s face is disappearing from all of Papa John’s marketing materials....

The pizza kingpin is no stranger to controversy, especially recently. He resigned as the company’s CEO in December after he said the NFL’s response to protests during the national anthem had hurt the company’s stock price. Papa John’s was at that time the official pizza of the NFL and that partnership dissolved in February.
He wears his racism proudly.

I can't remember if I have ever had one of his pizzas. I pretty much stopped eating at chain restaurants in the 70s and can say proudly that I've never had a McDonald's anything - except for the single french fry I had when my 4 year old wanted me to try one.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A Pastor Charged With Murder He Did Not Commit: Alabama Targets Reverend Glasgow In Political Prosecution

A formerly incarcerated community organizer in Alabama may be executed or imprisoned for life for a murder he’s not accused of committing.

Reverend Kenneth Glasgow is the founder of The Ordinary People Society, a faith-based organization that “works with the most disenfranchised members,” which others tend to exclude.

According to police, a passenger in a car Glasgow was driving exited the vehicle after it was involved in an accident and shot another driver to death.

He was charged under a “complicity law” in Alabama, and prosecutors are trying to convince a grand jury to indict him for violent acts committed by another person. He said he did not anticipate, had no control over, and didn’t even see the acts take place.

Glasgow, who is Reverend Al Sharpton’s half-brother, is known and celebrated for the ministry he established after leaving prison in 2001 and for his activism on behalf of people impacted by incarceration.

While he fights his own case, Glasgow is calling for the complicity law to be changed. Under the law, “A person who, whether present or absent, aids, abets, induces, procures or causes the commission of an act which if done directly by him, would be a felony or a misdemeanor under a provision of this chapter, is guilty of the same felony or misdemeanor.”

“The complicity law could [be used against] anybody,” he said in an interview with Shadowproof. “Any preacher or anybody that has a prison history, anybody that deals with any kind of social work or juveniles—anybody, with this complicity law. That law is making you responsible for someone else’s actions.”

In addition to providing meals, running transitional homes, serving as an outside spokesperson for incarcerated activists, like the Free Alabama Movement, and deescalating violence in his community, Glasgow is also well known nationally for his organizing for voting rights and against police brutality.

The New York Times described Dothan in 2016 as a place that “can feel like it is caught in a southern time warp, immune to change, and defined by racial division.” One in three Dothan residents is Black, but the town has never had a Black mayor, police chief, circuit judge, or school superintendent.

The newspaper went on to note, “Meetings of the city commission are held in a room adorned with 28 portraits of city leaders, all of them white men. An old photograph shows police officers, including the current chief, posing beside a Confederate flag.”

In this environment, Glasgow’s activism and his association with marginalized communities has placed a target on his back, which has grown over the years and drawn the ire of prosecutors and law enforcement officials whose power he regularly challenges.

He recently enraged the right-wing when he threw his support behind Doug Jones’ senate campaign, helping to register tens of thousands of currently and formerly incarcerated voters in Alabama ahead of the first election of a Democrat to statewide office in 25 years....
:crazy: :ateeth:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just watched this on the American Heroes Channel (AHC):

Blood and Fury America's Civil War - 5. Battle of Nashville

"December 1864: In a daring attempt to regain the upper hand in the Civil War, Confederate forces try to retake the city of Nashville and sever the supply line that's feeding the Union invasion of the south."

From the movie Glory we've all heard of the black 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry and its doomed attack on Fort Wagner. However, we don't hear much of other black units and the battles they distinguished themselves in.

Wiki: Battle of Nashville

This well made episode focuses on the 13th United States Colored Troops, which was one of 3 black regiments in the battle. It was tasked with making a sacrificial attack on the heavily fortified Confederate right flank.
... the 13th United States Colored Troops, went in essentially on its own and gained the Confederate parapet, losing one of its flags and 220 officers and men in the process, about 40% of the regiment's strength.

The attack on Peach Orchard Hill had the desired effect. Hood sent two of Cheatham's brigades to reinforce Lee. The thin Confederate line on Shy's Hill (left flank) and the surrounding heights got thinner.
The subsequent Union attack on the weakened Confederate left flank won the day for the Union. The show makes the case that this crushing of the Confederate Army of Tennessee ended the threat in the West and allowed the Union to focus on defeating Lee and ending the war. 13th USCT represent!

There's a United States Colored Troops Monument at the Nashville National Cemetery.
Wiki: United States Colored Troops

The United States Colored Troops (USCT) were regiments in the United States Army composed primarily of African-American (colored) soldiers, although members of other minority groups also served with the units. They were first recruited during the American Civil War, and by the end of that war in April 1865, the 175 USCT regiments constituted about one-tenth of the manpower of the Union Army. About 20% of USCS soldiers died, a rate about 35% higher than that for white Union troops. Despite heavy casualties, many fought with distinction, with 15 USCT receiving the Medal of Honor and numerous other honors....

Notable actions

Battle (Skirmish) of Island Mound - minor Union victory

Battle of the Crater during the Siege of Petersburg - major Union defeat

Fort Wagner - major Union defeat for the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry's involvement, fort not taken for another 7 weeks

Battle of Nashville - if this list is to be believed, black troops' greatest victory in the Civil War

Prisoners of war - one of the reasons black casualties were so high, they were mostly murdered

Numbers of (Union) Colored Troops by state, North and South - interesting

#1 Louisiana (South)
#2 Kentucky (North)
#3 Tennessee (South)
#4 Mississippi (South)
Then it drops off.

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:49 pm
The North was hard on the South, but I think most civil war victors are more brutal.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:27 pm
one small felony for a protestor, one giant leap for mankind
Misdemeanors I'm pretty sure, plus they'd have to find a Chapel Hill jury that would convict. All charges were eventually dropped in Durham.
Meet Maya Little, UNC Student Whose Protest Ignited the Movement to Topple a Racist Confederate Statue (Part 1)

Maya Little on the Fight Against Racist Confederate Statues (Part 2)

Maybe we will need a Maryland Man topic.
(Maryland) Klan leader Richard Preston sentenced to four years in prison for firing gun at ‘Unite the Right’

... A judge in Charlottesville, Virginia, sentenced the 53-year-old Preston on Tuesday to four years in prison with another four years suspended for firing a gun into a crowd during the “Unite the Right” rally of Aug. 12, 2017. The prison sentence handed down by Charlottesville Circuit Judge Richard Moore marked the first felony sentence stemming from the deadly rally, which saw the downtown area of the city of 48,000 overrun by neo-Nazis, racists, white supremacists and others on that deadly weekend.

Preston pleaded no contest to firing a shot during the rally that did not hit anyone.

“It was just pure belligerence,” Moore said....

In the video, Preston is seen drawing his pistol and shouting, “Hey, nigger,” then walking toward the crowd, lowering his gun toward the ground and firing before walking away. There were no reports of injuries from the gunshot....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

3 people arrested (last night) as supporters and opponents of Silent Sam gather at UNC

Background:

SPLC: ACTBAC NC hosting ‘Silent Sam’ rally Thursday

UNC could be the next and ongoing flashpoint.
If they try to put the statue up again there will be resistance.
If they succeed, it will be torn down again.

Tennessee man charged with murder for burning black man to death, then using Bible to justify act

When it comes to why John Daniel Carothers allegedly burned a black man to death in central Tennessee, prosecutors think his own words to a white supremacist group explain it all.

“My brothers in Jesus Christ our savior and Lord,” the letter begins. “My name is John Carothers and I believe the bible is about white people and for white people. I am in the Rutherford County Jail for burning a black man. I set him on fire with lighter fluid poured on his head.”

Jail employees in Rutherford County, Tennessee, intercepted the letter from the 53-year-old Carothers to an unnamed white supremacist group ...
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 am
3 people arrested (last night) as supporters and opponents of Silent Sam gather at UNC

Background:

SPLC: ACTBAC NC hosting ‘Silent Sam’ rally Thursday

UNC could be the next and ongoing flashpoint.
If they try to put the statue up again there will be resistance.
If they succeed, it will be torn down again.

Tennessee man charged with murder for burning black man to death, then using Bible to justify act

When it comes to why John Daniel Carothers allegedly burned a black man to death in central Tennessee, prosecutors think his own words to a white supremacist group explain it all.

“My brothers in Jesus Christ our savior and Lord,” the letter begins. “My name is John Carothers and I believe the bible is about white people and for white people. I am in the Rutherford County Jail for burning a black man. I set him on fire with lighter fluid poured on his head.”

Jail employees in Rutherford County, Tennessee, intercepted the letter from the 53-year-old Carothers to an unnamed white supremacist group ...
What is it about murfreesboro?

My parents met there, my family settled 15 miles away in 1801, the area was considered liberal 20 years ago and today they burn mosques, hold Klan rallies, re-elect tea people abortion haters who had serial affairs and abortions by more than 30 points.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yes, Racist Trolls Are Everywhere On The Internet, And These Are 17 Of The Best Clapbacks At These Hateful People

:lol: They're all good. Not picking a favorite, but this one has funny comments, too.

Comments:
To be fair, we all know who should play an orange alien
Right. Then we could ship him out with his Space Force.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

U.S. put its Silent Sams on pedestals. Germany honored not the defeated but the victims.
Two starkly contrasting approaches to remembering troubled histories

The question is not, 'Why take them down?'
The question is, 'Why did we allow them to be erected in the first place?'
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nike Shares Close at Another Record High After Controversial Colin Kaepernick Endorsement

:lol: :---P

Rightwing boycotts always fail. In fact, their screeching outrage gave Nike more free PR than it could have dreamed of while giving anti-racists huge incentive to buy Nike stock and/or merchandise.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Confederate monuments: Ole Miss is teaching the South a valuable lesson on history

:clap: I may have to start rooting for it some. Not this week, though. It's playing #5 LSU -12. I'm not that big of an LSU fan, but I like it more than:
1 Alabama
2 Georgia
3 Clemson
4 Ohio State
6 Oklahoma
9 Penn State
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:00 am
Confederate monuments: Ole Miss is teaching the South a valuable lesson on history

:clap: I may have to start rooting for it some. Not this week, though. It's playing #5 LSU -12. I'm not that big of an LSU fan, but I like it more than:
1 Alabama
2 Georgia
3 Clemson
4 Ohio State
6 Oklahoma
9 Penn State
Most southern towns have a Confederate monument. I just realized that Auburn (City or university) doesn't. I wonder why.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:09 am
Most southern towns have a Confederate monument. I just realized that Auburn (City or university) doesn't. I wonder why.
It is in Lee County. :P

Sorry, according to SPLC there is one in the city:
The Auburn Guards Review Monument
No specific honoree
Coordinates 32.610290, -85.480418
United Daughters of the Confederacy
https://www.splcenter.org/20180604/whos ... y#findings

There are 5 others in the county besides the county name: a road, 2 more monuments and 2 schools. None at the U., though, as you say.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =372694316
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:29 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:09 am
It is in Lee County. :P

Sorry, according to SPLC there is one in the city:
The Auburn Guards Review Monument
No specific honoree
Coordinates 32.610290, -85.480418
United Daughters of the Confederacy
https://www.splcenter.org/20180604/whos ... y#findings

There are 5 others in the county besides the county name: a road, 2 more monuments and 2 schools. None at the U., though, as you say.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =372694316
I know that Lee County has some. It is, after all, central Alabama.
Are you suggesting that the county name be changed?

And I'm not saying that Auburn is in anyway un-central Alabama. Any lack of monuments is more likely an oversight. The southern premier of Birth of a Nation was at Langdon Hall.
I also saw Birth of a Nation and this https://youtu.be/5R-rbzcEM8A at Langdon

I know that there is a typical historical marker at the old train station describing how it was destroyed during the war. But that's from memory. It's also where your link goes.

The university also has on display a cannon lathe that was buried when the Yankees came through.

Neither seem like a monument to me, just historical record.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:59 am
I know that Lee County has some. It is, after all, central Alabama.
Are you suggesting that the county name be changed?

No, just pointing out that the whole county is a CSA "monument".

Maybe they could just claim to be honoring commercial pastries, instead. ;)

And I'm not saying that Auburn is in anyway un-central Alabama. Any lack of monuments is more likely an oversight. The southern premier of Birth of a Nation was at Langdon Hall.
I also saw Birth of a Nation and this https://youtu.be/5R-rbzcEM8A at Langdon

:lol: Haven't seen that for decades. That linked to: 43 All Monsters From Weakest To Strongest. I'd never heard of:
Godzilla Jr
Larva Mothra
Battra
MechaGodzilla
SpaceGodzilla
SuperMechaGodzilla

King Caesar has boobs, nttawwt.

This is fun: EVOLUTION of GODZILLA: Size Comparison.

I know that there is a typical historical marker at the old train station describing how it was destroyed during the war. But that's from memory. It's also where your link goes.

All I know is that SPLC calls it a CSA monument. The 1914 date does fit with the wave of "Lost Cause" revisionism. Maybe they're 2 different things?

The university also has on display a cannon lathe that was buried when the Yankees came through.

Neither seem like a monument to me, just historical record.

I agree with the cannon lathe and accept that you may be correct with the United Daughters of the Confederacy monument. If so, SPLC may be open to changing its description.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Try again. It takes me to Bambi Meets Godzilla - I also saw it at Langdon.

I'll check next time I'm in Auburn, but the block around the old train station was almost a hangout area for me. Things do have a way to disappear into the background, so maybe I missed it.

More train station trivia - Auburn students greased the railroad tracks way back when, and the train with the Georgia Tech team slid 6 miles past the station. They had to walk back to town.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:16 pm
Try again. It takes me to Bambi Meets Godzilla - I also saw it at Langdon....
Sorry I was unclear. You did link me to Bambi Meets Godzilla :lol: :thumbup: , then one of the links in the sidebar was 43 All Monsters From Weakest To Strongest, then one of the links in its sidebar was EVOLUTION of GODZILLA: Size Comparison.

This is why I only go to YT if I'm looking for something specific, I can get trapped there for a long time.
1312. ETTD.