Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

I just learned about this:

On a bus in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina 3 years before Rosa Parks sat her ground,
(Women's Army Corps private Sarah) Keys v. Carolina Coach Co.

... The November 1955 ruling, publicly announced six days before Rosa Parks' historic defiance of state Jim Crow laws on Montgomery buses, applied the United States Supreme Court's logic in Brown v. Board of Education (347 US 483 (1954)) for the first time to the field of interstate transportation, and closed the legal loophole that private bus companies had long exploited to impose their own Jim Crow regulations on black interstate travelers. Keys v. Carolina Coach was the only explicit rejection ever made by either a court or a federal administrative body of the Plessy v. Ferguson doctrine (Plessy, 163 US 537 (1896)) in the field of bus travel across state lines. The ruling made legal history both at the time of its issuance and again in 1961, when Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy invoked it in his successful battle to end Jim Crow travel during the Freedom Riders' campaign.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:00 pm
Update, backtracking:

Why Papa John's reversal on NFL protests won't fly

I've bought a DiGiorno which I haven't tried yet and 3 Pizza Huts, which are pretty good. I'm going to send copies of the receipts to the corporate offices and the local shops. Then, I'll probably go back to making my own Bobolis.
Papa John's CEO John Schnatter steps down weeks after wading into NFL anthem controversy

Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter is stepping down from his position, the company announced Thursday. He will be replaced on Jan. 1 by COO Steve Ritchie. Schnatter will remain chairman of the board....

Papa John’s apologized via Twitter in the aftermath of stock prices that fell a further 13 percent in the wake of Schnatter’s comments. His words evidently made an impact on white supremacists who voiced their support of the pizza chain, which was addressed via the tweets that Schnatter reportedly helped craft.
We will work with the players and league to find a positive way forward. Open to ideas from all. Except neo-nazis — 🖕those guys. (3/3)
I think my actions made the difference. ;)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Poor Papa.

I may have helped rub a little salt in his wound by buying a few Pizza Hut pizzas after he showed his racism, but I haven't had one of his in at least 25 years.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Most people don't know about Rosewood

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood_massacre

And to be fair

1836 Florida over 100 US troops massacred by Seminoles

1876 Little Bighorn over 250 US troops massacred

To be fair, the last two were defensive and the Native Americans had little choice.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm guessing that actual battles, which Wounded Knee and Sand Creek really weren't, didn't qualify for the author. Otherwise, we'd have to include the Civil War battles.

Not sure about Rosewood, maybe because of the doubts over the tally?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Not sure about Rosewood, maybe because of the doubts over the tally?
The goober perpetrators may not have been qualified to do actual ciphering, or else they lied.

The town vanished.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It can't have been an accident that Rosewood was the name for the black male protagonist and for the TV series set in Florida also starring a Latina, and with an interracial lesbian couple portrayed by supporting actors. Good for the producers and network.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:17 am
It can't have been an accident that Rosewood was the name for the black male protagonist and for the TV series set in Florida also starring a Latina, and with an interracial lesbian couple portrayed by supporting actors. Good for the producers and network.

Writers are well read, often much more than us. Great that many don't push complete dumbed down shows and scatted tibbits like rosewood.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I watched it some when nothing else was on, but it was among my least favorite of the forensics shows.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:13 pm
I watched it some when nothing else was on, but it was among my least favorite of the forensics shows.
Never saw it, but cool about the reference.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Being Black in Trump Country: Dozens of People Arrested for Less Than an Ounce of Weed

When a panicked stranger emailed me this past weekend to say that police in Cartersville, Georgia, had “locked up a hundred kids when they claimed to find less than an ounce of weed at a house party,” I didn’t need to ask if the kids were black. I already knew. Police departments across north Georgia, a region north of Atlanta where Cartersville is located, just aren’t that likely to arrest 100 white kids at a house party if they discovered less than an ounce of marijuana.

But that’s exactly what happened in Cartersville. When I searched for local news reports in Atlanta and found that police actually arrested, charged, and jailed these people — the overwhelming majority of them young and black — for marijuana possession, I was initially puzzled. Had all 70 of them possessed marijuana? Nope.

After claiming to find less than an ounce of weed in total — which has a street value of around $150 to $200 and would mean only a ticket in the nearby city of Atlanta — police in Cartersville charged all 70 people gathered for a birthday party — including men, women, boys, and girls, ranging from the ages of 15 to 31 — with drug possession and hauled them off to Bartow County Jail....

If that party in Cartersville had been a mostly white fraternity bash or a birthday party dominated by white folks, there’s no way in hell the police would have rolled up and arrested 70 people like this, for a small amount of marijuana that no one claimed.
:roll: :bs: :cussing:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Q: Why do blacks have nightmares?

A: Because they remember what happened to the last one that had a dream.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

In 46 States, People Of Color Deal With More Air Pollution Than White People Do, Study Finds
The study adds to years of research suggesting that people of color encounter the most air pollution in the US, increasing their risk of asthma, heart disease, and other illnesses.

... In every state except Virginia, North Dakota, New Mexico, and Maryland, and Washington, DC, the study found, nonwhite people have a higher exposure to particulate matter than white people do. The worst disparity exists in Indiana and Alabama, where people of color were exposed to more than twice as much particulate pollutants as white people....
:(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

White Wake Forest student cries racism, but liberal university refuses judicial case

A conservative Wake Forest University student has accused the school of bias after it declined to pursue a "school judicial case" against fellow students who photoshopped his face onto a saltine cracker and handed him a box of the salty snacks after he spoke at a campus event 16 months ago....
Historically Baptist Wake Forest is "liberal"?
A saltine is a bias case?
Someone is really so wussy as to go national whining about getting his face put on a saltine?
Racist Faux Noise thinks this is news?
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Oh man. Some of the comments on the farms Facebook post... People are idiots.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:45 am
White Wake Forest student cries racism, but liberal university refuses judicial case

A conservative Wake Forest University student has accused the school of bias after it declined to pursue a "school judicial case" against fellow students who photoshopped his face onto a saltine cracker and handed him a box of the salty snacks after he spoke at a campus event 16 months ago....
Historically Baptist Wake Forest is "liberal"?
A saltine is a bias case?
Someone is really so wussy as to go national whining about getting his face put on a saltine?
Racist Faux Noise thinks this is news?
That's an interesting conundrum there. The guy is probably right that if he photoshopped a black speaker's pic into a cotton field or in a noose, he'd have been disciplined. So you're left with making a judgement decision on whether the "cracker" term is actually racial, or if it's more in the category of "redneck" - which can be insulting/derogotory, but can be as much culturally based as racial. Then there's the concept that a lot of white people don't get - non-discrimination laws and related rules were created to protect minorities. The article asked "what if somebody started a "White Congressional Caucus?'" Clever question, they thought, but in fact, the rest of Congress IS the "WCC". I think absent any threat or implied violence, the university made the right call.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:19 am
That's an interesting conundrum there. The guy is probably right that if he photoshopped a black speaker's pic into a cotton field or in a noose, he'd have been disciplined. So you're left with making a judgement decision on whether the "cracker" term is actually racial, or if it's more in the category of "redneck" - which can be insulting/derogotory, but can be as much culturally based as racial. Then there's the concept that a lot of white people don't get - non-discrimination laws and related rules were created to protect minorities. The article asked "what if somebody started a "White Congressional Caucus?'" Clever question, they thought, but in fact, the rest of Congress IS the "WCC". I think absent any threat or implied violence, the university made the right call.
Also:
The use of 'cracker' these days is so rare as to be quaint.
I guess it happens, but almost no one calls all whites 'crackers'.
The insult was specific to this crybaby's behavior, not issued just because of his race.

I'll bet that none of our thoughts were even touched on By Faux Noise.
1312. ETTD.