Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really »

With Republicans, racism isn't a bug, it's a feature. They'd take pointing it out as a compliment.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:58 pm
With Republicans, racism isn't a bug, it's a feature. They'd take pointing it out as a compliment.
:D If the message received is merely, "You are in the party of racist pigs and we both know it," I'm okay with that, too.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Sure, but that's like telling Melissa McCarthy that she's fat. She is - but she makes a good living off it, has incentive to stay fat, and has no reason to change.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 am
Sure, but that's like telling Melissa McCarthy that she's fat. She is - but she makes a good living off it, has incentive to stay fat, and has no reason to change.
I find my message to be personally satisfying, that one would not be. Anyhow:
Since the start of the Mike & Molly series, McCarthy has lost an estimated 75 lb (35 kg).
:P

I really noticed when "Sean Spicer" was Sean Spicer size rather than Melissa McCarthy size.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I stand partially corrected. Actually the fat actress I was thinking about was Chrissy Metz, who is apparently losing or at least temporarily misplacing some weight on the show but is still basically paid to be fat.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

We have found the cure for racism - an NFL salary and community property law.

Jennifer Roth's alleged racial tweets resurface after her engagement to NFL player Charles Leno Jr.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

White male privilege: When America elects an unprecedented number of women and minorities, close the government and blame Latinos.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Petition to the House of Representatives:

"In the face of Steve King's racism, half measures are not enough. Censure him now, then vote to expel him from the House."
Not signed. I'm fine with King representing Repugs in Congress and Repug voters. :twisted:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

The term probably originated as a name for British subjects who chose to stay in India way back when and maybe also to French citizens who chose to stay in Vietnam after 1954. The term implies that the person no longer has any patriotic duty or identity with his home country, particularly when those Brits or French married an indigenous person. Most immigrants and refugees don't do so. Immigrants or refugees may or may not still have an affinity or identity with their home country. Also, the expat term originally applied to professionals, writers, and artists (not the average person on the street). I think it's a leap to consider the word a racist term.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Proud to be 'Merican

MAGA-Hatted Teens Harass Native Americans at the Indigenous Peoples March in D.C.

Kentucky inbreeding is a dangerous thing.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:14 pm
Proud to be 'Merican

MAGA-Hatted Teens Harass Native Americans at the Indigenous Peoples March in D.C.

When you add to that the fact that Catholics supposedly don't believe in birth control, and there you have it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Proud to be 'Merican

When you add to that the fact that Catholics supposedly don't believe in birth control, and there you have it.
Parents, 97% white Park Hills, KY, school, Catholic church, teachers, chaperones, peers and lifelong racist POTUS all contributed. No surprise that this happens when they are at a misogynist march. Bigotry breeds more bigotry.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:42 pm
The term probably originated as a name for British subjects who chose to stay in India way back when and maybe also to French citizens who chose to stay in Vietnam after 1954. The term implies that the person no longer has any patriotic duty or identity with his home country, particularly when those Brits or French married an indigenous person. Most immigrants and refugees don't do so. Immigrants or refugees may or may not still have an affinity or identity with their home country. Also, the expat term originally applied to professionals, writers, and artists (not the average person on the street). I think it's a leap to consider the word a racist term.
I'm not sure I have enough experience with the usage to have an opinion. The article makes the claim that non-white Americans with similar professional situation and status don't get called ex-pats.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

The term most certainly doesn't apply to "just white people." It is typically used for a person who chooses to live in another country with no intent to live there permanently or to seek citizenship. An immigrant is any person coming to a country with the (general) intent to live there permanently. An emmigrant is a person leaving a country with no particular intent to return. It may very well be that more white people than not have jobs that take them to other countries, or snowbird in another country or live for a couple of years in another country for school, adventure, whatever, but it is not a racist term.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I think the author is talking about how it's used irl, not how it's defined.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:04 pm
The term most certainly doesn't apply to "just white people." It is typically used for a person who chooses to live in another country with no intent to live there permanently or to seek citizenship. An immigrant is any person coming to a country with the (general) intent to live there permanently. An emmigrant is a person leaving a country with no particular intent to return. It may very well be that more white people than not have jobs that take them to other countries, or snowbird in another country or live for a couple of years in another country for school, adventure, whatever, but it is not a racist term.
As far as I know, the Cuban community in Miami is commonly referred to as expats.
Last edited by neoplacebo on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Proud to be 'Merican

Parents, 97% white Park Hills, KY, school, Catholic church, teachers, chaperones, peers and lifelong racist POTUS all contributed. No surprise that this happens when they are at a misogynist march. Bigotry breeds more bigotry.

I think the archdiocese for Kentucky is Louisville. Be interested to see if they step up.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 pm
I think the author is talking about how it's used irl, not how it's defined.
Agreed, but it's usage still doesn't make a racial distinction except as may result just from there being more white people in the group. If you look for something like "best countries to retire in" for example, you'll get comments like, "Spain is an expats paradise" or "there's a large expat community in Cabo San Lucas" etc.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:27 pm
I think the archdiocese for Kentucky is Louisville. Be interested to see if they step up.
Weird, that's not the Yahoo! article that I saw and linked. The one I read looked more like this one and included:
1312. ETTD.