Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:Image

Or as some would say, "the damn little kid shoulda brung his own ladder "
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

And some would say the little beggars should be arrested and tased for trying to see the game without getting a ticket.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

O Really wrote:And some would say the little beggars should be arrested and tased for trying to see the game without getting a ticket.
Well, if the cartoon is "accurate," they are white kids, so, at least they won't get tazed.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

. . . or arrested. (white) Boys will be boys.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:CA university first to establish black only housing: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/06/ca ... using.html ...
No opinion until the time when I learn more, especially from some sources other than Faux Noise. I can imagine that it will improve the educational environment for the blacks. Otoh, it could hurt whites in the short term for lack of exposure to diversity, and could hurt blacks in the long term because of the whites' lack of exposure to diversity .
billy.pilgrim wrote:We had separate but equal schools when I was growing up.

They weren't
I suspect that the infrastructure will be equal here. That said, the music, dancing, parties and pickup basketball games will be better in the black-only housing. 8-) :D
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
JTA wrote:CA university first to establish black only housing: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/06/ca ... using.html ...
No opinion until the time when I learn more, especially from some sources other than Faux Noise. I can imagine that it will improve the educational environment for the blacks. Otoh, it could hurt whites in the short term for lack of exposure to diversity, and could hurt blacks in the long term because of the whites' lack of exposure to diversity .
Nah.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Wait.

So hold on I'm a bit confused. Back during the civil rights era, segregation was a bad thing. Blacks and whites were bussed to different schools to promote diversity. Assuming this article is factually correct, we're now saying segregation is a good thing? Yeah, schools are still integrated. But segregated living arrangements were also looked down upon back in the day, were they not? Blacks to this side of town, whites to the other. Assuming everything to be equal, I still don't see the benefit in throwing up more barriers rather than trying to tear them down by promoting the notion we're all the same, race being only skin deep.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desegregation_busing

This seems like a tacit nod to the idea that there really are some fundamental differences between the races and that we ought to be separated in some respects, or at least have the option to segregate ourselves. Racism?

O Really
Admiral

I don't know, but as might be expected, I have an opinion. Before the 60's, segregation was enforced, and, as billy.p noted, definitely not equal. It had little to do with individual preference (other than white people preferring not to hang with the "coloreds"), and arose from a belief that black people were inferior and should be kept that way. Considering that all these black people were US citizens, that was clearly discriminatory (even if discrimination wasn't yet illegal). And segregation was ingrained in the culture, to include different residential areas, different schools, and even down to different theatre entrances and seating. So if residences were separate, you'd never get to integrated schools if you stayed in the neighborhood, or 'hood. Thus busing.

Roll forward 50 years. Discrimination still exists, but is mostly illegal. Integration is pretty much the cultural standard. So what happens if a group wants to hang together? Males vs. females; jocks, frats, etc. What if it's a group of hispanic people, asian people, voluntarily deciding to live as a community? Probably not much alarm. But black people in their own "segregated" community is too scary, given the history. But not necessarily any different from any other group. Problem would be if a state-owned facility set up a one-race facility and refused to let anybody else in - whether it's whites only or blacks only. There pretty much has to be an enforced voluntary participation level.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Still no opinion on whether this is a good thing but, "Other communities tied by specific themes have their own housing, though none are designated by race," and these blacks could have formed or joined a predominantly black frat or sorority. There are bunches of de facto black and white ones. It's just not as big a deal as Faux Noise wants us to think it is.

If JTA wanted drunk horny IT headbanger housing, I'd be cool with it. It beats having them live with decent folks. :P
Vrede too wrote:...

Soccer star Rapinoe kneels during national anthem ...

I'm not making a prediction at all but one possible scenario is that this gets big, especially with so many black players and fans in some sports. If so and to avoid perpetual controversy, could the anthem stop being played? As O Really says, we don't do it for non-sports events....
Will Seahawks join anthem protest? 'Our locker room has discussed it'
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Alternatively:
Rapinoe Stymied in Bid for Second National Anthem Protest

The Washington Spirit prevented Seattle midfielder Megan Rapinoe from kneeling again during the national anthem by altering its pregame ceremonies rather than "subject our fans and friends to the disrespect we feel such an act would represent."

The National Women's Soccer League team moved up the anthem, playing it while the teams were off the field at the Maryland SoccerPlex....

"It was incredibly distasteful, four days before one of the worst tragedies in our country, to say I tried to hijack this event," The Washington Post quoted Rapinoe as saying.

During the match a group of supporters chanted "Let Her Kneel!" ...

Earlier Wednesday, the Reign said they were standing by Rapinoe. In a statement, the team said it recognizes Rapinoe's action "was offensive to some and a source of inspiration to others."

"We will continue to encourage all Reign FC players to participate in the pre-match ceremony, which honors those who have served and made sacrifices on our behalf," the Reign said. "We will also continue to allow players to participate in the pre-match ceremony in a manner consistent with their personal beliefs, reflecting our respect for the rights earned and defended by those fighting for our nation." ...

On Sunday night, Rapinoe kneeled during the anthem prior to the match against the Chicago Red Stars, in what she called "a little nod' to Kaepernick.

"I think it's actually pretty disgusting the way he was treated and the way that a lot of the media has covered it and made it about something that it absolutely isn't. We need to have a more thoughtful, two-sided conversation about racial issues in this country," Rapinoe told the website American Soccer Now afterward....
Mini-Kaepernicks Sit Out the Pledge of Allegiance—but Not All Teachers Know the Law
Saying the Pledge in schools has long been intertwined with civil liberties and religious or ethnic minorities. But in some cases, students’ rights to sit while it’s recited is still up in the air.

Cool, whatever happens re Kaepernick and systemic racist policing, it's been a national education on free speech.
Petition to Colin Kaepernick:

"Thank you, Colin Kaepernick, for making a bold rebuke of police violence against Black people and people of color."
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

The rest of the "segregated housing" flap - as usual, big whoop raised by yahoos.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/us/ca ... picks=true

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really's article:

California Today: No, Cal State Isn’t Creating Segregated Housing

Thanks. More details:

CSU Defends ‘Segregated’ Housing Offer After Conservative Backlash
Black students demanded a “safe space,” and they got it. But CSU is certainly not a “segregated” school.

Black-focused housing at Cal State L.A. draws criticism, but it's nothing new
Vrede too wrote:No opinion until the time when I learn more, especially from some sources other than Faux Noise....
You should know better, JTA. Eazy-E, Dave Chappelle and Prince would have.

Me too :oops: , some of my response didn't recognize that Faux Noise could be flat out lying.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:Still no opinion on whether this is a good thing but, "Other communities tied by specific themes have their own housing, though none are designated by race," and these blacks could have formed or joined a predominantly black frat or sorority. There are bunches of de facto black and white ones. It's just not as big a deal as Faux Noise wants us to think it is.

If JTA wanted drunk horny IT headbanger housing, I'd be cool with it. It beats having them live with decent folks. :P
Vrede too wrote:...

Soccer star Rapinoe kneels during national anthem ...

I'm not making a prediction at all but one possible scenario is that this gets big, especially with so many black players and fans in some sports. If so and to avoid perpetual controversy, could the anthem stop being played? As O Really says, we don't do it for non-sports events....
Will Seahawks join anthem protest? 'Our locker room has discussed it'
I just think it's a damn shame all those beautiful black women will be locked away. I guess as long as they keep it out in CA and only on college campuses im ok with that but the moment the late twenty something black ladies start disappearing from gville is when things have gone too far :)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

You're gonna be the creepy old white guy to them, regardless. :P
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:You're gonna be the creepy old white guy to them, regardless. :P
Yo

Wait.

Black women love them some JTA.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:... I'm not making a prediction at all but one possible scenario is that this gets big ...
Dolphins, Chiefs, Titans players kneel, raise fists during national anthem

Not sure what the end game is, though. A win over racist policing will be hard to measure and won't come for a long time.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Do these dips not realize the idiocy in forcing someone to show patriotism?

What is so offensive about kneeling anyway. They're acknowledging the anthem and showing some form.of respect, but doing so in a way that also draws focus to what they're protesting? Best of both worlds?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:... They're acknowledging the anthem and showing some form.of respect, but doing so in a way that also draws focus to what they're protesting? ...
Bingo! That makes the crybabies, including the ones issuing death threats, really defending their racism and support for racist policing, not opposing disrespect.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.