The Science Thread!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Science Thread!

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:Phil Plait: Trump's 2018 NASA budget: The good, the bad, and the very, very ugly

Of course, this is only a budget *proposal*. Congress will make its own changes. Granted they can blame everything and anything on Trump, far more than they would do with an actual Republican President.
... Finally, we get to Earth Science. This proposal cuts it overall by about $100 million (in a just shy of $2 billion total), and it does so in large part by axing four missions: DSCOVR, OCO-3, PACE, and CLARREO Pathfinder. You may not be shocked to learn that all four are important climate missions. Given the maniacal denial of the reality of climate change by Trump and essentially everyone he has put in a position of power (including Scott Pruitt, the head of the EPA), cutting these missions in the budget was as easily predictable as it is ridiculously short-sighted, and, frankly, dangerous....

I wouldn’t expect the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to be able to pick up the slack, either: Deep cuts are proposed for it as well (of course), and the GOP members in Congress have been cheerleading this sort of thing for years.

It is this aspect of the coming budget that has me most up in arms. We are heating this planet up, and that is already affecting us, and will only get worse as time goes on. With Trump in the White House and the GOP running both sides of Congress, this is more than worrisome. It’s potentially catastrophic....
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

White House Has Zero Employees Working In Its Science Division

On the bright side, there's no one left that understands the concept of 'zero'. So, no worries.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump officially nominates climate-denying conservative talk radio host as USDA’s top scientist
The Trump administration’s war on science continues apace.

Sam Clovis, a former Trump campaign adviser and one-time conservative talk radio host, has no background in the hard sciences, nor any policy experience with food or agriculture. Still, that did not stop President Donald Trump from officially nominating Clovis to the position of the United States Department of Agriculture’s undersecretary of research, education, and economics, the agency’s top science position....
Maybe not "policy", but it does look like he has plenty of experience with food.
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 am
Maybe not "policy", but it does look like he has plenty of experience with food.
That's research!
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The petition to the inspector general of the Department of the Interior reads:

"Censoring experts for doing their jobs is an abuse of authority. Launch an investigation into Department of the Interior Secretary Zinke's arbitrary reassignment of Joel Clement and 50 other senior officials and scientists."
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Clovis is out
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:19 am
Clovis is out
Because of his Russia link via Papadopoulos. Not because of his being appointed as the Agriculture Department's chief scientist, despite having no science credentials and being a climate change denier. (Though perhaps the jury is still out on whether climate is important to agriculture.)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:57 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Clovis is out
Because of his Russia link via Papadopoulos. Not because of his being appointed as the Agriculture Department's chief scientist, despite having no science credentials and being a climate change denier. (Though perhaps the jury is still out on whether climate is important to agriculture.)
Can we say that it's an indirect win for science if a wholly unqualified :lol: :lol: :lol: AGW denier :lol: :lol: :lol: is also revealed to be an America-hating traitor?
Sam Clovis, former Trump campaign official now linked to Russia probe, withdraws Agriculture nomination

... Clovis's decision comes just days after court filings indicate that he may have encouraged President Trump's campaign foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulos to set up meetings with Russians for the Trump campaign.

Court document show that an unnammed campaign supervisor encouraged Papadopoulos. The Washington Post reported that the unnamed campaign supervisor was Clovis, who was Trump's national campaign co-chairman....
:---P

Maybe he'll soon be "in" . . . prison.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:57 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Clovis is out

I thought that went without saying. Has any trumpette lost trump's support due to ineptness, or ignorance?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:04 pm
I thought that went without saying. Has any trumpette lost trump's support due to ineptness, or ignorance?
Depends on your definition - Lewandowski, Manafort, Flynn, Price, Marino, Comms Directors exploding like Spinal Tap drummers, and probably a few that I'm forgetting. It sounds like Jared will be one of the next scapegoats.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:09 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Depends on your definition - Flynn, Price, Marino, Comms directors exploding like Spinal Tap drummers, and probably a few that I'm forgetting.

All out because they made thumper look bad in public. The orange buffoon would install them all if he could.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Has any trumpette lost trump's support due to ineptness, or ignorance?
Just the opposite:

"I'm Leninist. Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that's my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today's establishment...
- chief Trump strategist Steve Bannon, to a Daily Beast reporter in 2013

The Trump team keeps appointing people to head government agencies who are on record as wanting to dismantle those agencies. Or if unavailable, appointing incompetents to head them. A non-scientist climate change denier as chief agriculture scientist hits that Venn diagram right in the middle, and is consistent with Bannon's goal.

----

BTW, there's a big recall on Kidde (based in North Carolina) home fire extinguishers. I just checked mine, and they're in the recall. Apparently they'll send a replacement model at no charge.

CBC: 2.7 million Canadian fire extinguishers recalled for being defective
(And 37 million in the U.S.)

USCPSC: Affected model numbers

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

http://www.panna.org/

They have a Clovis point. :D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:27 pm
BTW, there's a big recall on Kidde (based in North Carolina) home fire extinguishers. I just checked mine, and they're in the recall. Apparently they'll send a replacement model at no charge.

CBC: 2.7 million Canadian fire extinguishers recalled for being defective
(And 37 million in the U.S.)

USCPSC: Affected model numbers
Thanks! I do have one older Kidde, but it's surprisingly not on the recall list.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

One time in Alabama there was

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2017/11/ ... =emaildkre

Great comments

PaulsRedditUsername explained:

"It was as if a thousand Keurigs hit the ground all at once..."

reik483 posited:

Man, they really pissed off God this time. Maybe using the Virgin Mary to defend a child molester was a bad idea?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:D
Pretty sure that’s the rip in the space/time fabric caused by so many working to take us back to the 19th Century.
Somehow I’m sure it will be linked to the gays before sunset!!! :D
Well, we gays are apparently very powerful in that way. You know, causing floods and droughts and terrorist attacks and all.
It’s the sound of millions of women roaring in unison “No Moore.”
God smites Moore!! Film of small smoking crater at Moore’s residence at 5pm!!
That was their final warning.
It was God editing Moore’s copy of the 10 Commandments. He added “or daughters” to the commandment about “coveting thy neighbor’s wife”.
And don’t forget the one about lying too — that one is toast.
If you’re Republican, those were Strongly-Worded Suggestions, not Commandments
Some Republican marked their ballot for Jones and their head exploded?
And finally, more creatively poetic than is decent on a web forum:
Miss Leigh (based on Annabel Lee, as retold by Roy Moore):
It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom in the south,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of Miss Leigh;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to get away from me.
I was a predator and she was a child,
In this kingdom in the south,
But I loved with a love that was more like a shove—
I and my Miss Leigh—
With a love that the wingèd seraphs of Heaven
proclaimed was disgusting to all but me.
And this was the reason that, not long ago,
In this kingdom in the south,
A sound bellowed out of the air, chilling
all who would vote for me;
So that her local policemen came
And bore all girls away from me,
To shut up my supporters,
In this kingdom in the south.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I listened to this on the radio:

Brain Circuits Thought Long Dead After Stroke Might Just Be Dormant

If it pans out it will possibly also help those with spine injuries, Parkinson's and other "incurable" neuro conditions. Wow, just wow.
1312. ETTD.

BMW/M
Red Shirt

Unread post by BMW/M »

Wow -

CDC banned from using 'evidence-based' and 'science-based' on official documents: report

The Trump administration has reportedly banned the Centers for Disease Control from using the phrases “evidence-based” and “science-based” on official documents.

Senior CDC officials distributed the list of “forbidden” words and phrases to policy analysts at the CDC on Thursday, the Washington Post reported Friday. The list also bans the use of “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender” and “fetus.”

Analysts are reportedly prohibited from using the phrases on official documents they prepare for the 2019 budget, which is expected to be released in February.

An analyst who attended the meeting at the CDC in Atlanta told the Washington Post that instead of “evidence-based” or “science-based,” policy analysts are instructed to use the phrase, “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes.”

The analyst told the Post that other branches of President Trump’s health department are likely adhering to the same list of banned words. The source said that others at the meeting reacted with surprise when given the list.

“It was very much, ‘Are you serious? Are you kidding?’” the analyst said, “In my experience, we’ve never had any pushback from an ideological standpoint.”

http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/heal ... ence-based

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

BMW/M wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:51 am
Wow -

CDC banned from using 'evidence-based' and 'science-based' on official documents: report

http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/heal ... ence-based
They also want to ban 'STD' and 'HIV' but they're having trouble finding anyone in the White House that can spell them.
1312. ETTD.