The Science Thread!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
bannination
Captain

The Science Thread!

Unread post by bannination »

Common Physics Misconceptions:

.... or maybe it should have been called the conservative learning thread. :mrgreen:

bannination
Captain

Re: The Science Thread!

Slot Car With Sparkler Hits Hydrogen-Filled Balloon

bannination
Captain

I can't help it, I'm in love with her brain.

Schrödinger's Cat

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Cool video. Here are some pretty impressive fake flames
My wife just bought a set and they are pretty realistic. Even has a remote control on'off switch. :roll:

:mrgreen:

bannination
Captain

Stephen Colbert shoots the breeze with Neil deGrasse Tyson for an hour.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:
Wneglia wrote:
Cool video. Here are some pretty impressive fake flames
My wife just bought a set and they are pretty realistic. Even has a remote control on'off switch. :roll:

Thanks.

Here's a pic of how the LED works, I was wondering.

Interestingly, the LED is not in the flame, but is just barely down in the candle where it projects the light onto the "flame" which is so delicate that it moves around giving the illusion of a real flame.

bannination
Captain

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... f_the.html

Hubble Sees Tribe of Galaxies at the Dawn of the Universe

Amazing!
Since the Universe is 13.7 billion years old, this means we are seeing this galaxy as it was only about 380 million years after the Big Bang. That's a stunning observation.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Three days ago, astronomers spotted a new asteroid. Early yesterday morning, the sonofabitch nearly hit our planet.

Red Shirt

Unread post by Guest »

Wneglia wrote: Cool video. Here are some pretty impressive fake flames

Pretty cool....until I read the reviews.

Review:

Bought 5 , All going back !!!!!!! Posted by TheCarousel 07-08-11

Overall Rating: 1 star

"Unless you manufacture your own batteries, skip this . I was so excited to receive these, I planned on putting them in my fireplace, loved the fact they had a timer... I installed brand new "brand name" alkaline batteries in each. turned them on, sat back and enjoyed them. the effect is amazing, actually looks like a flame, I was so happy!!! very next day, they came on with the timer, and within hours 2 of them started to have a strobe like effect "flashing". Installed another set of new batteries started working again. Next day within 3 hours the other 3 starting doing the same thing. Replaced all 5 with fresh NEW BATTERIES... lasted 2 days. these candles literally went through 20 batteries within 48 hours . nice design and effect not worth the cost in batteries to keep them going !!!"

Would you recommend this product as a gift? No!

Red Shirt

Unread post by Guest »

reposted
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bannination
Captain

rstrong wrote:Three days ago, astronomers spotted a new asteroid. Early yesterday morning, the sonofabitch nearly hit our planet.
Geez... our species is retarded, so concerned with killing each other they can't see the big picture.

Red Shirt

Unread post by Guest »

rstrong wrote:Three days ago, astronomers spotted a new asteroid. Early yesterday morning, the sonofabitch nearly hit our planet.
It could have happened! There's still eight days until December 21st........ :---P

The End of The World

bannination
Captain

NASA’s 10 Most Stunning Pictures of 2012

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:Those "candles" are why Wneglia wants a thorium reactor. :P
Have had ours for 3 weeks, same batteries, no problems. Not Using timer, but remote on/off switch.

bannination
Captain

at least 100 billion planets in our galaxy alone.

Caltech-led astronomers estimate that at least 100 billion planets populate the galaxy

Whew, aren't we lucky Jesus decided to come to this planet and die!

Seriously, the article is mind blowing.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: at least 100 billion planets in our galaxy alone.

Unread post by mike »

bannination wrote:Caltech-led astronomers estimate that at least 100 billion planets populate the galaxy

Whew, aren't we lucky Jesus decided to come to this planet and die!

Seriously, the article is mind blowing.
Indeed, interesting ... I wouldn't doubt there are other "Jesuses" out there somewhere ...

Even in the realm of computer circuitry a la The Matrix. Image

There is, surely, a need, ever too evident, to think a higher power is out there ... somewhere ... from where did all this originate?
Has it been here forever?
Even so, from where did all that has always been here originate (in whatever shape or form it takes at any given time)?
Even further yet, from where was the One who created it and Who is the One who created the One who did create it?

:wave:

In the meantime, I'm just going to enjoy a kayak trip on the river tomorrow with a person I respect greatly (it's not Jesus ... but ... maybe ... hmmm ... Image) and soak in the creation and evolution that is in our own little corner of this vast Universe. :)

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Vrede wrote:
mike wrote:...In the meantime, I'm just going to enjoy a kayak trip on the river tomorrow with a person I respect greatly (it's not Jesus ... but ... maybe ... hmmm ... Image)...
Why would Jesus need a kayak? ;)
LOL! :D

Well, he could just walk beside me, I guess ... however, after watching my friend fall in the water today, I discovered walking on water was out of the question. Image

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

BTW, the kayak trip today, with an intelligent and wonderful friend, was wonderful!
Not much wild life but we did see an 8 foot alligator go into the water as we passed it and a bunch of Great Blue Herons as well as an Anhinga and a slew of turtles.
The day, contrary to the previous day's weather forecast of total clouds and afternoon showers, wound up as a nice warm day with plenty of sun.
Good times. :)

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

mike wrote:BTW, the kayak trip today, with an intelligent and wonderful friend, was wonderful!
Not much wild life but we did see an 8 foot alligator go into the water as we passed it and a bunch of Great Blue Herons as well as an Anhinga and a slew of turtles.
The day, contrary to the previous day's weather forecast of total clouds and afternoon showers, wound up as a nice warm day with plenty of sun.
Good times. :)

withlacoochee?

I've spent many days paddling - I mean floating - the withlacoochee, while living in the tsala apopka swamp
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Hi, Billy! Sounds like fun! :)

We were on the Oclawaha River ... you were quite close to my neck of the woods.

You did present an example of one of the many items we pondered while alternately paddling and floating: the Withlacoochee is yet another Florida river which flows North. :D