Civil liberties thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
homerfobe
Ensign

Re: Civil liberties thread

Unread post by homerfobe »

Vrede tu-tu wrote: It's Henderson County, where....harmless crazy women with lighters get executed.
I vaguely remembered this one, so I went back an looked it up. I didn't find all of what I was looking for, but I do recall that you were asked what you would have done differently had you been the LEO and someone, anyone, came at you pointing what looks alarmingly like a pistol. I think your lame-brain excuse was something like they knew she she was a mental case. Mental cases can shoot guns too.
k9nanny wrote:... this nut has got to go....
I agree.
Vrede tu-tu posted a link:Petition to be delivered to The United States House of Representatives, The United States Senate, and President Donald Trump

As Americans, we demand our right to travel freely to Cuba.
Go for it wuss! Demand, demand, and demand some more! It's a hell of a sight warmer there than Canada!
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm

I thought long and hard about going in either the fall of 69, or spring of 70. Fall 69 makes the most sense for sugar cane harvest and leaving school would have meant leaving my deferment. A lot of people went down to help with the harvest. I don't remember hearing what happened to them on return to the US.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

My brother and I have discussed going. Dolt .45 may end that discussion.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:19 pm
My brother and I have discussed going. Dolt .45 may end that discussion.

I often wish I had gone in 69, lost my deferment, gotten my draft notice and gone to Canada.

Too easy to stay in school, but by staying I lost my freedom to leave florida without losing my health care.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

6 months older and I would have faced choosing to register or not (probably not). Then, when registration was reinstated I was too old to have to. I guess I'm a "gap" hippie.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

José Ramón Cabañas‏ (Cuban ambassador to the United States) Verified account
@JoseRCabanas

#Cuba Now it is official: these are the new enemies of US Foreign Policy. Watch out!!

Republicans slam Trump’s new policy toward Cuba
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:30 pm
José Ramón Cabañas‏ (Cuban ambassador to the United States) Verified account
@JoseRCabanas

#Cuba Now it is official: these are the new enemies of US Foreign Policy. Watch out!!

Republicans slam Trump’s new policy toward Cuba
The prevailing theory at the moment is that Trump is trying to undo pretty much everything Obama did. The dude seems incredibly jealous of Obama. Or maybe he's still holding a massive grudge against him from the white house correspondent's dinner way back when. Whatever it is, it's pretty evident he's going after Obama's legacy in true "alpha" male fashion.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Yep, he's pissing on every tree Obama touched.
I prefer to think alpha males (and females) possess dignity. Trump would be put in his place very fast by a pack of wolves.

Anybody remember, Cubans are worse off than American slaves?

I just discovered I can buy Cuban grown coffee without risking a huge fine. Trouble is, the only American source is Nespresso pods.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

If he's going to push for "free elections" maybe a better place to start would be in the US.

homerfobe
Ensign

JTA wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:25 pm
The prevailing theory at the moment is that Trump is trying to undo pretty much everything Obama did. The dude seems incredibly jealous of Obama. Or maybe he's still holding a massive grudge against him from the white house correspondent's dinner way back when. Whatever it is, it's pretty evident he's going after Obama's legacy in true "alpha" male fashion.
I didn't watch the original trumpeting trump by Trump, but I watched the video in Vrede's link, and I can't for the life of me figure out why the hook-nosed wombats here are screaming about Trump's changing Obama's Cuba policy. I see his wanting American $$$ to go to Cuba's economy rather than to bolster the military, I see his wanting political opposition oppressed, I see his wanting political opponents freed from prison, I see his wanting Cubans to enjoy free enterprise. I see his wanting free elections. What did I leave out? Why are the liberal jerkwads cursing Trump for abolishing a hastily put together Obama Cuba Policy? Obama's Cuba Policy was as hastily put together as Trump's so-called health care plan. Now there's something to bitch about.

O Really
Admiral

I don't know why there should be any "restrictions" at all on visits/interchange with Cuba. The US needs to stop thinking that everybody in the world should follow what used to be our standards. There is a place for international isolation or shunning of a country, although it's never really worked very well. Pretty much a real life example of "floggings will continue until morale improves". But if there is a place for that stuff, Cuba isn't it. If Trump wants to piss on another Obama tree, he could have said "the current agreement is lousy - it is way too restrictive. Typical Dem hypocritical all talk no action" and then "improved" it.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Maybe he wants to play a little cutthroat with his hotel competitors. The business angle needs to be examined regarding every step he takes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ba7ce62757

Nonetheless, as a businessman whose properties include golf resorts and luxury hotels from Florida to Scotland to Dubai, Trump in the past has signaled his interest in the potential financial opportunities in Cuba.

He told CNN last year that he would like to open a hotel in Cuba “at the right time, when we’re allowed to do it.”

As part of an ethics pledge, Trump’s company has vowed to pursue no new foreign deals during his presidency, making a potential foray into Cuba off limits for now. Yet, according to one industry expert, a presidential directive restricting efforts there by Starwood or other hotel chains would, in effect, neutralize a chief rival’s ability to gain an early advantage.

“What’s the president going to say? That the largest hotel company in the world, a competitor, is not allowed to renew its license” to operate in the country? asked Julia Sweig, a longtime Cuba scholar and former adviser to Starwood who has called for normalizing relations with the island. “That could be interpreted as the president is going to hold things up for the competition until the Trump Organization is ready to go down there.”
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:57 pm
Maybe he wants to play a little cutthroat with his hotel competitors. The business angle needs to be examined regarding every step he takes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ba7ce62757
If it's about kowtowing to the right, some Cubans or about foreign policy principles, I'm angry but can understand. If it's about money, I'm disgusted. This is why we shouldn't elect even a more honorable fat cat businessperson than Dolt .45 is. We shouldn't have to wonder about these things.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:37 am
I don't know why there should be any "restrictions" at all on visits/interchange with Cuba. The US needs to stop thinking that everybody in the world should follow what used to be our standards. There is a place for international isolation or shunning of a country, although it's never really worked very well. Pretty much a real life example of "floggings will continue until morale improves". But if there is a place for that stuff, Cuba isn't it. If Trump wants to piss on another Obama tree, he could have said "the current agreement is lousy - it is way too restrictive. Typical Dem hypocritical all talk no action" and then "improved" it.
In geopolitics, morality is low on the totem pole. The argument that Trump should continue isolating Cuba for moral reasons is bunk so long as we continue to bow down to other repressive governments such as Saudi Arabia. We're still "allies" with Saudi Arabia for geopolitical reasons only. Opening up Cuba serves the same purposes, especially in light of other geopolitical foes seeking to strengthen ties: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.miamiher ... 73897.html
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

(I was hoping to get caught up on the posting here this weekend - AFTER I go live with a side-project I've been working on. My first team development effort, and my first bilingual (English/Mandarin) web site. And I had to learn PHP to stay compatible with existing infrastructure. But more likely, once the site is launched, I'm going to get some sleep.)

America's Cuba policy has always been about Florida politics. America has no problem dealing with China or Saudi Arabia.

Over the years the US has tried to dictate policy to Canada and other countries regarding Cuba. 1996's Helms–Burton Act for example brought sanctions against executives of Canadian companies dealing with Cuba. Being an attack on Canadian sovereignty, laws were passed forbidding Canadian companies from complying with the American laws. That includes Canadian subsidiaries of American companies, as those are nevertheless Canadian companies.

Which brings us to today's headline...

CBC: U.S. punishes American firm after its Canadian subsidiary leases cars to Cuban embassy in Ottawa
The cause of the dispute is a series of 13 lease agreements between Honda Canada Finance, Inc. — a majority-owned subsidiary of the American Honda Finance Corporation — and the Cuban Embassy in Ottawa.
[...]
Canadian companies that have business dealings with Cuba have a tough road to navigate because complying with U.S. laws can lead them to fall afoul of Canadian laws, and vice versa.

That is because in 1992 Canada enacted the Foreign Extraterritorial Measures (United States) Order, which was passed in response to the passage of the Cuba Democracy Act in Washington the same year.

The order requires any Canadian company that is contacted by U.S. authorities responsible for enforcing sanctions to notify the Canadian federal government. The order also bars Canadian companies from complying with any U.S. law that seeks to limit their business dealings with Cuba.

A Canadian businessman who pays a fine such as the one levied on Honda could face five years in a Canadian prison as a result.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The CBC missed an easy target by not looking into how the Embassy of Cuba in Washington, D.C. gets its cars.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Slants win in Supreme Court - Redskins live on.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-top ... &ocid=iehp

homerfobe
Ensign

Slants win in Supreme Court - Redskins live on.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-top ... &ocid=iehp
:lol: :lol: Haha. I see it coming now. Some tattooed, skin-pierced, Speedo-wearing, group of queer hair-balls will want to form a screech-group and call themselves The Phairy Phaggots, and the spineless SCOTUS will say "that's OK, honey-pot, don't cry, it's freedom of expression". Common sense doesn't have a home in our courts.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

What do y'all think of this? I had a convicted pervert removed from Facebook. His friends knew nothing about his conviction, and he got out of prison shortly before the registry was started. It made me gag every time his creepy face showed up under "people you might know."
There are plenty of other sites for the exchange of ideas and social networking that don't involve parents posting pictures of their children. I have warned my Facebook friends to double down on their privacy setting.

Too bad we can't boot the Pervert-in-Chief off social media.

RALEIGH
The U.S. Supreme Court has overturned a North Carolina law prohibiting registered sex offenders from using Facebook or other social networking sites that minors can join.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/ ... rylink=cpy
Se Non Ora, Quando?

O Really
Admiral

The problem with using "sex offender registry" is that it doesn't distinguish among the rapists, the child molesters, and the 19-year old with a 15 year old girl friend or the guy who was convicted of indecent exposure for pissing in the alley. I think they could have done OK by restricting it to those convicted of crimes involving children, but the prohibition on Facebook use is way too broad IMNVHO.