Gun Legislation

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Gun Legislation

Unread post by O Really »

Time for anyone interested in the topic to make their prediction.
I continue to say that despite great harumphing and significant public support, that the NRA owns too many members of Congress for any significant legislation to pass. There will be no firearms "banned" there will be minimal if any restrictions on high capacity magazines. They will not pass universal background checks or limit sales between private individuals. They will not pass registration requirements; they will not pass anything that makes it more difficult for anyone to get Newtown style firearms or make it easier to track firearms. There may be some weak-kneed symbolic legislation that amounts to harumphing on paper.
NRA wins again. Mad American (example not personal) could become Happy American, but won't because they'll keep on creating the next "take away our guns crisis."

Anybody else want to predict?

Mad American
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Gun Legislation

Unread post by Mad American »

O'really's predictions are correct if "they" means congress. I agree that there will be little to nothing passed in congress. However, I predict that Obama uses executive order to put in place a ban that closely resembles Feinstein's proposed legislation.

O Really
Admiral

Mad American wrote:O'really's predictions are correct if "they" means congress. I agree that there will be little to nothing passed in congress. However, I predict that Obama uses executive order to put in place a ban that closely resembles Feinstein's proposed legislation.
Oh lordy, Mad - you've got to be smarter than that! Been listening to Alex Jones again? Please explain the legality of that "alternative" - realistically.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

No change.
It's all a feel-good charade to make us think we're doing something to fix an unfixable problem.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Mad American
Flight Lieutenant

O Really wrote:
Mad American wrote:O'really's predictions are correct if "they" means congress. I agree that there will be little to nothing passed in congress. However, I predict that Obama uses executive order to put in place a ban that closely resembles Feinstein's proposed legislation.
Oh lordy, Mad - you've got to be smarter than that! Been listening to Alex Jones again? Please explain the legality of that "alternative" - realistically.
Don't know who Alex Jones is and I've only heard his name a couple of times in the last few weeks. Who I have been listening to is Vice President Joe Biden. You asked for a prediction and I gave one based on the Vice President's own words. As far as legality, I don't know. However, I have seen several things done in the past four years that seemed a little hinky so we will see won't we.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

k9nanny wrote:No change.
It's all a feel-good charade to make us think we're doing something to fix an unfixable problem.
Yep... IMHO it's one of those look over here, while we ignore real problems.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I predict, as o really said, that there will be only literal and figurative harrumphing and no meaningful legislation. I also predict the gunners will continue to shriek and moan about an imaginary plot to take away their guns. Gun sales of all types will continue to rise as the fear and stupidity of the gunners continues to be manipulated and stoked by fearmongering interests who exist only for such fearmongering. I predict another mentally deficient gunner will strike within the next three months (let's say by the end of April) to the effect of the highest ever harrupmhing yet seen, which will also result in a big but temporary blip in the sales of even more guns to the gunners who have money to spend. ok

O Really
Admiral

Mad American wrote: Who I have been listening to is Vice President Joe Biden. You asked for a prediction and I gave one based on the Vice President's own words. .
Well, at least we know VP Biden is always accurate and never runs his mouth before putting his brain in gear, don't we?

And a scan of the available information is almost exclusively people talking about what Biden said or what they thought he said. However, it's rarely mentioned that Executive Orders are subject to Congress and/or the Supreme Court. It's not in Obama's interest to get over-ridden by either on this issue. So if Congress won't pass it, he's not going to set forth something just so it could get over-ridden and thus be worse off than now.
Rest easy. Nobody's coming to get your guns.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

O Really wrote: but won't because they'll keep on creating the next "take away our guns crisis."
Indeed.. the NRA has no intention of killing that cash cow.. .. ..

I think we're likely to see high capacity clip regulation and expanded background checks but little to address the root cause.. until the next Tucson/Aurora/Newtown massacre where again we'll confirm Churchill's assessment.. .. .

"You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities."

My advice to all is to keep your head down while we exhaust those possibilities.. :roll:
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

O Really
Admiral

Crock Hunter wrote:
O Really wrote: but won't because they'll keep on creating the next "take away our guns crisis."
Indeed.. the NRA has no intention of killing that cash cow.. .. ..

:
The only significant restriction ever on gun purchase or type came after years of harumphing following the attempt at Reagan, and that - by the NRA's own view - was "ineffective" and faded away after ten years. Since that time, restrictions have been lessened, and aided by a couple of pro-gun Supreme Court decisions. There is not now, nor has there ever been any risk to the Second Amendment and any attempt at curtailing the easy availability of guns has been at best a minor inconvenience - not a restriction on legal ownership. But the NRA won't tolerate even minor inconvenience whether or not it might have a positive effect on citizen safety.

Mad American
Flight Lieutenant

O Really wrote:
Mad American wrote: Who I have been listening to is Vice President Joe Biden. You asked for a prediction and I gave one based on the Vice President's own words. .
Well, at least we know VP Biden is always accurate and never runs his mouth before putting his brain in gear, don't we?

And yet ya'll voted for him while running down someone like Palin?? -0-?

And a scan of the available information is almost exclusively people talking about what Biden said or what they thought he said. However, it's rarely mentioned that Executive Orders are subject to Congress and/or the Supreme Court. It's not in Obama's interest to get over-ridden by either on this issue. So if Congress won't pass it, he's not going to set forth something just so it could get over-ridden and thus be worse off than now.
Rest easy. Nobody's coming to get your guns.
I didn't say they were. I do not own anything that would fall under any of the restrictions that have been floated. Obama is no longer accountable to anyone. This is his last term and he will never run in another election. It is my opinion that if he thinks he can "make a difference" his ego will over ride his "interests" and he will move forward.

O Really
Admiral

Mad American wrote:[

And yet ya'll voted for him while running down someone like Palin?? -0-?
Well, I can't speak for others, but I voted for the incumbent President. It's not like one could pick and choose. But the point is, Biden says what he says, and sometimes he's wrong. In this case, everybody on the alarmist right jumped on "Biden said Obama's gonna take our guns by Executive Order" and forgot that a lot of them were the same people that said throughout the campaign that "Biden is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about."

I prefer to look at the actual facts and circumstances, along with possibilities and probabilities, and I'm just saying that if you do your own research from an objective legal source, you won't lose any sleep worrying about anti-gun Executive Orders.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:
O Really wrote:...But the point is, Biden says what he says, and sometimes he's wrong. In this case, everybody on the alarmist right jumped on "Biden said Obama's gonna take our guns by Executive Order" and forgot that a lot of them were the same people that said throughout the campaign that "Biden is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about."...
Could be, but in this case Mad American is wrong. Biden has spoken about EOs that Obama can issue (see above), not ones Mad American and the alarmist right imagine.
Understood. But undoubtedly some of Mad's friends are distorting what Biden did say, plus giving it far more gravitas, authority, and weight than they have have ever given any of his comments before. It's like they're saying, "Biden was always an idiot, but man, now he's the oracle of absolute truth since he's saying something about gun control I can ridicule."

Mad American
Flight Lieutenant

At this point no one is wrong and no one is right. O'really asked for "predictions" , and I gave one. Any prediction given by any one is nothing more than an opinion based in assumption.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

O Really
Admiral

Mad American wrote:At this point no one is wrong and no one is right. O'really asked for "predictions" , and I gave one. Any prediction given by any one is nothing more than an opinion based in assumption.
You're right - you're entitled in this game to any prediction you want. If you want to stick to "Obama EO's Feinstein into law" fine. I was just giving you an opportunity not to be wrong. I'm thinking you may have been on the wrong side of prediction in the general election.

Overall, though, we're a bunch of cynical coots, aren't we? Highest popular level of support for more restrictive gun legislation in decades and nobody believes anything will pass. We, along with Congress are all a buncha sheep when the NRA wolf is around.

Mad American
Flight Lieutenant

O Really wrote:
Mad American wrote:At this point no one is wrong and no one is right. O'really asked for "predictions" , and I gave one. Any prediction given by any one is nothing more than an opinion based in assumption.
You're right - you're entitled in this game to any prediction you want. If you want to stick to "Obama EO's Feinstein into law" fine. I was just giving you an opportunity not to be wrong. I'm thinking you may have been on the wrong side of prediction in the general election.

Overall, though, we're a bunch of cynical coots, aren't we? Highest popular level of support for more restrictive gun legislation in decades and nobody believes anything will pass. We, along with Congress are all a buncha sheep when the NRA wolf is around.
Keep in mind I didn't say he would EO Feinstein into law....I said it would closely resemble Feinstein. There are some things in Feinstein that he can not do through EO. However, there are a LOT of definitions in it that he can, and I think will use.

O Really
Admiral

Possibly he could lift the NRA-paid-for restrictions on the CDC research on gun injury and violence. That would be a good thing.

O Really
Admiral

Looking at all the state reactions to Newtown and renewed calls for more/better gun laws, I think the best thing that could (theoretically, as if it's ever going to happen) come out of the current controversy is more uniform laws, federally established, across all states. It's ridiculous that every state thinks it has to be different in common issues relating to firearms. Carry here, don't carry there, carry this type of firearm while wearing shorts in even-numbered months and on odd-number days during the summer; carry that one only on Sundays and to churches not having a steeple exceeding 35 feet...yada.

What's wrong with standardization? What's wrong with just one national license? It's not as though there is all that much difference between most states, although the extremes are a bit far apart from Vermont to, for example, Cali. But the differences are just enough to get someone in trouble because they didn't understand the fine print.

O Really
Admiral

Interesting article about Hitler and guns...
http://www.salon.com/2013/01/11/stop_ta ... ut_hitler/