Gun Legislation

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Gun Legislation

Unread post by Vrede too »

Image'

Tell Congress:

“Gun sales should not happen without background checks. Pass the Background Check Expansion Act.”
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tell Congress:

“Domestic abusers should not have guns. Pass the Protecting Domestic Violence and Stalking Victims Act.”
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It's not passing until either (a) we get people elected who aren't owned by NRA; or (b) we buy more Congress members than NRA has. If public opinion mattered, they'd have passed laws like those long ago.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:22 pm
It's not passing until either (a) we get people elected who aren't owned by NRA; or (b) we buy more Congress members than NRA has. If public opinion mattered, they'd have passed laws like those long ago.
Maybe if a few more red state white churches get shot up, maybe.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Or maybe they'll just want more guns...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... fb9f713b08

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:00 am
Vrede too wrote:
It's like fighting malaria with more standing water and thus more mosquitoes.

Speaking of our predictions, gun safety discussion in a rural Tennessee church - guess what happens.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-accident ... 20368.html
It’s a wonder that they’ve both made it into their 80s. I appreciate the intent, but this is carrying a demonstration of what NOT to do way too far. The only thing that can stop a bad rural Tennessee husband in his 80s with a gun in church is a good wife in her 80s with her own gun.
Comment:
The lord works in mysterious ways.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:45 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:00 am
Vrede too wrote:
It's like fighting malaria with more standing water and thus more mosquitoes.

Speaking of our predictions, gun safety discussion in a rural Tennessee church - guess what happens.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-accident ... 20368.html
It’s a wonder that they’ve both made it into their 80s. I appreciate the intent, but this is carrying a demonstration of what NOT to do way too far. The only thing that can stop a bad rural Tennessee husband in his 80s with a gun in church is a good wife in her 80s with her own gun.
Comment:
The lord works in mysterious ways.

that's what the navy did in Pensacola. They built a 10 foot (maybe it was a little higher _ I'm not going to look it up) wall to stop the malaria carrying mosquitoes from getting into the Navy base. The masonry wall prevented drainage and caused standing water.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:21 am
that's what the navy did in Pensacola. They built a 10 foot (maybe it was a little higher _ I'm not going to look it up) wall to stop the malaria carrying mosquitoes from getting into the Navy base. The masonry wall prevented drainage and caused standing water.
I've never heard of building walls to stop mosquitoes. Maybe they don't like to fly as high as 10 feet, but winds are certain to make it happen. Funny about the standing water.

Found this:

Marketta Davis: NASP 'mosquito' wall myth

Fwiw, I was just curious, wasn't trying to debunk you. I like a good FUBAR Navy story as much as anyone. I found other articles repeating the lore without questioning or discrediting it.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sheriff: Las Vegas shooting gunman fired over 1,100 rounds

... Authorities have said they have not determined Paddock's motive or why he stopped shooting. Lombardo says authorities found about 4,000 unused rounds in the suite.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:21 am
I've never heard of building walls to stop mosquitoes. Maybe they don't like to fly as high as 10 feet, but winds are certain to make it happen. Funny about the standing water.

Found this:

Marketta Davis: NASP 'mosquito' wall myth

Fwiw, I was just curious, wasn't trying to debunk you. I like a good FUBAR Navy story as much as anyone. I found other articles repeating the lore without questioning or discrediting it.
Please debunk any and all bs I unintentionally post.

Appears Marquetta is spot on if the wall was built before mosquitoes were identified as carriers.

She does go on to establish some myths of her own.
The hospital location is in a fortified naval port/base that was well defended by 3 other forts. There was no way that anyone could enter the narrow pass from the gulf defended by forts on either side and artillery from the naval base.
Also the wall she references at the base is a 3 or 4 foot seawall and was never defensive.

I'm no authority on the navy base. I took the tour 40 years ago. The rest is incidental from living here.

The 12 ft wall does have a reason for being 12 feet high.

Maybe it was an attempt to keep mosquitoes from bothering patients, but mosquitoe netting would have been better.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 am
... Pensacola.... Navy base.
This episode of Mysteries at the Museum was interesting:

Fall of Saigon has aviation museum tie

Beyond that, the National Naval Aviation Museum looks like a cool visit.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Another "opps" defense!
Guy shoots a woman who's out walking her dog, thinking she's a deer. Shooter is (a) illegally "hunting" after sunset (b) on property he's got no permission to hunt on; (c) kills somebody. How in the F can there be any question whatsoever as to "whether charges will be filed"? If she'd been walking her dog and he "accidentally" hit her with a car he'd have already been charged with, at a minimum, vehicular homicide. What an f'd up world we live in.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hunte ... &ocid=iehp

O Really
Admiral

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/de ... &ocid=iehp
:clap: :clap:
Evening "deer" shooter charged with manslaughter.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tell Senate Democrats:

“Block concealed carry reciprocity legislation that would undermine state laws that protect residents from gun violence.”
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I'll admit to mixed feelings on this one. Obviously I'd expect that any proposal/bill backed by NRA would be bad, but truth is, I favor national - not state - gun laws, including carry permits. My problem, though, is that this particular bill will make the weakest state permit law good everywhere. But if they picked a good, reasonable permit-issuing process and made that the federal standard and thus applicable everywhere, I'd support it.

But really, there is wide-spread reciprocity now. My Florida license is good in 36 states. Interesting collection of people who oppose it, however. NJ reasonably doesn't want to have to recognize licenses issues under less stringent laws than they have, but Texas law enforcement opposes it too, even though they'll even give a permit to under-21's and most anybody else with a pulse. Their opposition seems to be just "fedral gummint interference" I guess.

But sure - if they took the requirements for a license that is currently accepted in the most states already (Arizona, maybe..or Florida) and just applied them nationally? Better than nothing. Then, if/when we elect some people in Congress who aren't owned by the NRA, it would be relatively simple to increase requirements nationally for, e.g. training, cost, term of license, etc.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 am
I'll admit to mixed feelings on this one. Obviously I'd expect that any proposal/bill backed by NRA would be bad, but truth is, I favor national - not state - gun laws, including carry permits. My problem, though, is that this particular bill will make the weakest state permit law good everywhere. But if they picked a good, reasonable permit-issuing process and made that the federal standard and thus applicable everywhere, I'd support it.

For lack of having any ammosexual friends, I'm blaming you for not having been more specific years ago. ;)

... Then, if/when we elect some people in Congress who aren't owned by the NRA, it would be relatively simple to increase requirements nationally for, e.g. training, cost, term of license, etc.

Not saying that you're wrong, but establishing a federal standard is a politically different and more complex animal than mandating lowest common denominator reciprocity. I'd also wonder about its constitutionality - could it be seen as an usurpation?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:54 am

Not saying that you're wrong, but establishing a federal standard is a politically different and more complex animal than mandating lowest common denominator reciprocity. I'd also wonder about its constitutionality - could it be seen as an usurpation?
[/quote]

Understood, but it's the right way to go, and an initiative I would support. The current one, not so much. But whether it really matters as much as the dust-up would indicate is questionable. About 4% of the population has concealed carry license (about double from 2007, thanks Obama), and most of those aren't fearful rabid drooling Nascar88-type people. So you consider how many people are going to now carry their weapon across state lines into places where they couldn't do so today, and what if any effect on the use of those weapons will occur. Not much more than more smoke and mirrors and another ass-kissing of the NRA by their serfs.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Agreed. Also, given how many people in how many places are already legal under very weak CCP requirements, opposing this bill is not at the top of my gun control agenda. Then, some abuse of the reciprocity mandate could very well lead to federal minimum standards where that wasn't going to happen otherwise, if doing so is constitutional.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 am
Agreed. Also, given how many people in how many places are already legal under very weak CCP requirements, opposing this bill is not at the top of my gun control agenda. Then, some abuse of the reciprocity mandate could very well lead to federal minimum standards where that wasn't going to happen otherwise, if doing so is constitutional.

Of course it's constitutional, see restrictions on machine guns, RPGs, cannons, anti-aircraft guns, nuclear bombs, etc and other "arms"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:50 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 am
Of course it's constitutional, see restrictions on machine guns, RPGs, cannons, anti-aircraft guns, nuclear bombs, etc and other "arms"
Could be, but I was thinking more about the 10th Amendment than the 2nd since it would be replacing state regulation of CCPs with federal regulation.
1312. ETTD.