Gun Legislation

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Gun Legislation

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:Mr.B suffers from Seth Milner syndrome: Posting endless "memes", "jokes" and claims pushing one specific point of view, pausing only to claim that he doesn't share that point of view, before returning to pushing only that point of view.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:
rstrong wrote:......
rstrong wrote: .....
Seth Milner wrote: Image
The Schrödinger and Douchebag dance. Gotta hand it to myself 'ol Seth; he got your number.
Mr.B wrote: "Knowing that Banni has probably given several of you powers of snoopability, (moderator) capable of finding IPA's, do you really think I'm dumb enough to think I could fool you with two identities? You and rstrong sometimes mirror each other; does that mean one of you is also the other? Boatrocker and Homophobe have the same trashy vocabularies, except one speaks liberal and the other speaks ... well, whatever. Does that mean they're one and the same?"

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

And there's another Seth Milner behavior: After posting something goddamned stupid or offensive, you simply can't believe that more than one person disagrees with you. It must be a CONSPIRACY!!!

And the you follow up with Milner's patented "I've been caught in a lie and have no intelligent response so I'll post THIS instead" image.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I saw Seth Milner in the grocery parking lot - he came riding in on a unicorn.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:"And there's another Seth Milner behavior: After posting something goddamned stupid or offensive, you simply can't believe that more than one person disagrees with you. It must be a CONSPIRACY!!!"
"After posting something g-d stupid or offensive" -- :lol:
Haha! you can't stand your "g-d stupid & offensive" clamor being identified as identical to that of your clone, can you? ... and you (and Vrede) simply can't stand that anyone would disagree with you or ridicule your political leanings. Tough cookie; suck it up buttercup; the Earth revolves around the sun; it doesn't revolve around either of you.

"And the you follow up with Milner's patented "I've been caught in a lie and have no intelligent response so I'll post THIS instead" image."
Ol' Seth did have some sources for his images that put y'all's knickers in a twist. I merely discovered where they were.

BTW, have you tried Dr. Vrede's Butthurt Cream? Dr.V claims it's an excellent lip balm too. (oops! was that offensive?)

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:"I saw Seth Milner in the grocery parking lot - he came riding in on a unicorn."
I thought you said once that you didn't shop at Walmart.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Mr.B wrote:
O Really wrote:"I saw Seth Milner in the grocery parking lot - he came riding in on a unicorn."
I thought you said once that you didn't shop at Walmart.
I very rarely shop at WalMart. When I refer to a "grocery parking lot" it's going to mean Publix or Ingles.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A Florida mom put her 10-year-old in a timeout. Then came the gunshot, police say.

... Gun deaths involving children were one of the defining narratives of 2016, a year that brought heart-wrenching stories of toddlers and small children accidentally shooting themselves, accidentally shooting their parents, accidentally shooting other children. The pro-gun-control group Everytown for Gun Safety has been tracking accidental shootings involving children for years, and in 2016 found 247 shootings across the United States where a person age 17 or younger unintentionally killed or injured themselves or someone else with a gun.

An investigation by the Associated Press and USA Today found that in the first six months of 2016, “minors died from accidental shootings — at their own hands, or at the hands of other children or adults — at a pace of one every other day, far more than limited federal statistics indicate,” according to the report....

Toddlers Kill
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Brother of airport shooting suspect says US gov't failed him

The brother of a man accused of killing five people at a Florida airport questioned Saturday why his brother was allowed to keep his gun after U.S. authorities knew he'd become increasingly paranoid and was hearing voices.

Esteban Santiago, 26, had trouble controlling his anger after serving in Iraq and told his brother that he felt he was being chased and controlled by the CIA through secret online messages. When he told agents at an FBI field office his paranoid thoughts in November, he was evaluated for four days, then released without any follow-up medication or therapy.

"The FBI failed there," Bryan Santiago told The Associated Press. "We're not talking about someone who emerged from anonymity to do something like this."

Speaking in Spanish outside his family's house in Penuelas, the brother said: "The federal government already knew about this for months, they had been evaluating him for a while, but they didn't do anything."

Authorities in Alaska on Saturday defended their interactions with Esteban Santiago. FBI Special Agent in Charge Marlin Ritzman told a news conference that Santiago broke no laws when he walked into the Anchorage FBI office "making disjointed comments about mind control." He characterized Santiago as a "walk-in complaint," which he said offices around the country receive daily.

Anchorage police were called to the office by the agency, told Santiago he was having "terroristic thoughts" and believed he was being influenced by the so-called Islamic State and was taken to a mental health facility, city police chief Chris Tolley said. Santiago had left a gun and his newborn child in his vehicle when he went to the FBI office. Police held the gun until Santiago was released and contacted him about picking up the weapon, which he did on Dec. 8, Tolley said.

U.S. Attorney for Alaska Karen Loeffler said that it doesn't appear to her that Santiago would have been prohibited from having access to a gun. "As far as I know ... this is not somebody that would have been prohibited," she said....
That is the problem.
Since returning from Iraq, Santiago served in the Army Reserves and the Alaska National Guard in Anchorage, Olmstead told AP. He was serving as a combat engineer in the Guard before his discharge for "unsatisfactory performance." His military rank upon discharge was E3, private 1st class, and he worked one weekend a month with an additional 15 days of training yearly, Olmstead said.

She would not elaborate on his discharge. The Pentagon said he went AWOL several times and was demoted and discharged....
I'll bet they saw more but there's big pressure to avoid PTSD diagnoses. That said, based solely on the reports and as a semi-expert it sounds like he might be schizophrenic, too.

CSGV Statement: Fort Lauderdale Shooting Illustrates Need For Gun Violence Restraining Order Laws in More States

Many questions remain, but history of domestic violence and apparent descent into crisis should have raised sufficient concerns to temporarily remove shooter’s firearms

Statement from Coalition to Stop Gun Violence Executive Director Joshua Horwitz:

“The horrific shooting yesterday at the baggage claim of the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport is a sobering reminder that our ongoing gun violence epidemic does not disappear with a new year or a new president. We extend our deepest sympathies to the families affected by this tragedy.

"While the facts are still emerging, policymakers across the nation should remember that there are legislative options to provide preventative tools to law enforcement and concerned family members. California and Washington state have recently enacted laws that allow courts to temporarily remove firearms from individuals displaying signs of dangerousness (Gun Violence Restraining Order in California and Extreme Risk Protection Order in Washington). New data examining a similar Connecticut law indicates that these policies are highly effective. As legislatures across the nation return to work this month, we call on more states to consider this life-saving tool.”

# # #

For additional information, see the following CSGV materials.

SPEAK FOR SAFETY, A CAMPAIGN TO RAISE AWARENESS FOR CALIFORNIA'S GUN VIOLENCE RESTRAINING ORDER

EXTREME RISK PROTECTION ORDERS: AN OPPORTUNITY TO SAVE LIVES IN WASHINGTON
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Librul bullshit. The only real solution is to ensure that every passenger in that terminal has unfettered access to a gun.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I was going to put this in the Immigration Thread, but no immigrants were involved. :lol:
Sheriff criticizes Texas Commissioner’s account of ‘attack’

A claim by Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller that “illegal aliens” attacked a hunting party in remote West Texas is being discounted by the local sheriff who says the hunters fired on one another.

Miller said in a recent Facebook post that the attack is another reason why a wall must be built to secure the Texas border.

... Presidio County Sheriff Danny Dominguez on Monday criticized Miller’s account.

“The agriculture commissioner needs to do his job and stick to that, and I’ll do my job. You tell him I said that,” Dominguez told the San Antonio Express-News....

Sheriff’s investigators said in a statement last week that the Jan. 6 incident in which the guide and a second man were shot was the result of “friendly fire among the hunting party with several contributing factors.” ...
The problem with a wall is that Texas will still be full of idiotic pols and hunters.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:I was going to put this in the Immigration Thread, but no immigrants were involved. :lol:
Sheriff criticizes Texas Commissioner’s account of ‘attack’

A claim by Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller that “illegal aliens” attacked a hunting party in remote West Texas is being discounted by the local sheriff who says the hunters fired on one another.

Miller said in a recent Facebook post that the attack is another reason why a wall must be built to secure the Texas border.

... Presidio County Sheriff Danny Dominguez on Monday criticized Miller’s account.

“The agriculture commissioner needs to do his job and stick to that, and I’ll do my job. You tell him I said that,” Dominguez told the San Antonio Express-News....

Sheriff’s investigators said in a statement last week that the Jan. 6 incident in which the guide and a second man were shot was the result of “friendly fire among the hunting party with several contributing factors.” ...
The problem with a wall is that Texas will still be full of idiotic pols and hunters.

This miller guy is something, but at least he got his "jesus shot" while illegally traveling on taxpayer money

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics ... al-charges
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

To: Tim.Moore@ncleg.net,Chuck.McGrady@ncleg.net,Chuck.Edwards@ncleg.net
Cc: ncgv@ncgv.org

Dear Speaker Tim Moore, Rep. McGrady and Senator Edwards,

Re: NC lawmakers revisit question of guns on campus
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politi ... 35339.html

There is no place for non-law enforcement guns in North Carolina’s institutions of higher learning.

Sincerely,
The NRA wants to suppress one of guns’ most important safety features (silencers)

:roll:

North Carolinians Against Gun Violence
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

SC lawmaker resigns after being accused of beating wife, pointing gun at her
Corley may be best known as a staunch defender of the Confederate flag. He was easily re-elected with no opposition to a second term representing parts of Aiken County.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"Responsible" gun sellers just put about 50 guns in the hands of criminals and we'll likely reimburse them for it with our insurance premiums. It works well for them - more gun crime means more guns bought by frightened citizens.

More than 50 weapons stolen from Greensboro (NC) Coliseum; 3 recovered
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not that the concealed carry weapons permitting system is anywhere near adequate, but still -
Yesterday, NC Rep. Larry Pittman of Cabarrus County introduced HB 69, the Constitutional Carry Act, which would eliminate our state’s important concealed carry weapons permitting system. This permitting system is essential because it requires classroom training and live fire training if someone wants to carry a hidden loaded weapon in public. It is unacceptable and dangerous to do away with this common sense public safety law....

HB 69 also would lower the minimum age to get a concealed carry permit to 18 years old from the current 21, even though 18 to 20 year olds commit nearly four times as many gun homicides as adults 21 and over.[1]

Lastly, 88% of all Americans, 76% of gun owners, and 64% of NRA members favor permitting systems that require training to carry hidden loaded weapons. They support this reasonable and rational law.

Your support, will help ensure NCGV successfully advocates against this dangerous bill and for other common sense gun laws.

Together, we can keep NC safe,
Becky
North Carolinians Against Gun Violence

[1] FBI Supplementary Homicide Report, 2012, and US Census population data, 2012. Persons aged 18 to 20 make up 4.2% of the US population and committed 17.35% of all gun homicides for which the age of the offender was known. Adults aged 21 and over are 72% of the population and commit 76.5% of all such gun homicides.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Congress blocks rule barring mentally impaired from guns

"If you can't manage your own financial affairs, how can we expect that you're going to be a responsible steward of a dangerous, lethal firearm?"
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

On the other hand if you block them from controlling guns, you'd have to block them from controlling nuclear weapons. That would be inconvenient right about now.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.