Gun Legislation

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Gun Legislation

Unread post by Vrede too »

These Companies Are Sticking By The NRA

... Other companies ditching the NRA include Chubb, which underwrites the NRA’s Carry Guard firearms insurance; Symantec’s LifeLock, an identity-theft prevention service, and Norton, which offers computer security software; home security system provider SimpliSafe; Allied and North American Van Lines, two moving services; and MetLife, which had offered savings on home and auto insurance to NRA members.

On Friday, software company Wild Apricot said it had asked the NRA to remove its logo from the organization’s website. “We have contacted the NRA directly and asked them to remove our logo and the affiliated text, as they were actually using that without permission from us,” a spokesperson told ThinkProgress.

The following companies, however, have not indicated that they plan to sever ties with the gun-rights group:

Amazon

AT&T

Clearent

FedEx
Re: These Companies Are Sticking By The NRA
https://www.yahoo.com/news/companies-st ... 34849.html

Shame on you for profiting from the slaughter of children and other
Americans. I will be doing business elsewhere.

(Vrede too), RN
(real address)
Amazon: Had to sign in to chat, so am not sharing the link. I got there through "Amazon Assistant".

Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

AT&T: https://www.att.com/contactus/index/dig ... html?tab=2 (chat)
Karol: oh my
Karol: I totally understand you.. I'm only a sales agent, I will notify my superior about this.
Karol: I'm really sorry about that.. I'm shocked too.
Me: Not your fault. Thanks for your concern and willingness to pass the message along.
Karol: :'(
Me: I agree. :'(
Karol: I will talk this with my coworkers and my supervisor, this is so sad.
Me: Every little bit helps. I'm sick of the carnage. Go ahead and do your work, thanks again, bye.
Wow. :thumbup:

Clearent: customersupport@clearent.com (email address)

FedEx: https://www.fedex.com/us/customersuppor ... round.html (was on page 142 list).

There are more in the article. I'll post addresses/links later.
Last edited by Vrede too on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

Recently a publisher, ThinkProgress.org identified Wild Apricot as a company that supports the NRA. Wild Apricot does not have a partnership with the NRA nor do we offer the NRA special discounts. We are taking necessary steps to clarify the situation.

Wild Apricot is membership management software used by over 20,000 organizations, such as associations, clubs and nonprofits, in over 62 countries to manage their members. The reference to a free 30-day trial is something that Wild Apricot makes available to any organization striving to automate their processes and better serve their members. This is not a unique offer. While our Affiliate Program is available to all customers and can be set up through a Wild Apricot account, Wild Apricot terminated the NRA affiliate link on Feb 23, at around 11:16 AM ET. We are working with ThinkProgress.org to be removed from their list.

Regards,
Rano
Membership Management Coach
Wild Apricot
Continued:

Google: can't figure out how to send a message.

Harland Clarke Direct Selling Solutions: trouble finding website.

HotelPlanner: Comments@HotelPlanner.com (email address)

Lockton Affinity: http://locktonaffinity.com/#contact-us

ManageUrID: Info@manageurid.com (email address)

MidwayUSA: didn't bother, they're merchants of death.

NetSpend: customerservice@netspend.com (email address)

Omni Hotels: https://www.omnihotels.com/contact-us

Roku: security@roku.com (email address)

TrueCar: feedback@truecar.com
https://www.truecar.com/contact_us.html (was on page 142 list).

Vinesse Wines: support@vinesse.com (email address)

YouTube: used "Send feedback" on the homepage.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

NRA:

Gotta boost those gun sales.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 am
Update on mass murderer Cruz:

JROTC
Militarist
Islamophobic
Homophobic
Racist
Anti-Antifa
Anti-Mexican
Anti-immigration
Antisemitic
Rightwing
Ammosexual
POSPOTUS supporter

Any questions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoneman_ ... ng#Suspect
"It's interesting that so many of these people that commit the mass murders end up being Democrats. But the media doesn't talk about that..."
- Rep. Claudia Tenney

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Somebody could possibly have responded to her that apparently even killers and perverts aren't willing to belong the the current Republican Party.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The ones in red are ones that I wrote. I take full credit for them ditching the NRA. :D :wave:
Alamo Rent a Car

Avis

Allied Van Lines

Bestwestern

Budget

Chubb Insurance

Delta Air Lines

Enterprise Rent-a-Car

First National Bank of Omaha

Hertz

MetLife

North American Van Lines

Paramount Rx

SimpliSafe

Symantec

TrueCar
rstrong wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:13 pm
"It's interesting that so many of these people that commit the mass murders end up being Democrats. But the media doesn't talk about that..."
- Rep. Claudia Tenney
O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 pm
Somebody could possibly have responded to her that apparently even killers and perverts aren't willing to belong the the current Republican Party.
:lol:

Snopes: Is this List of Democrat Shooters Accurate?
A viral list of dozens of shootings purportedly committed by Democrats is based on faulty, inaccurate, and unsubstantiated claims.

The article also mentions the common screech, "*Not one *NRA member, Tea Party member, or Republican conservative was involved in any of these shootings and murders," but doesn't directly address it. Since the NRA doesn't share its membership lists, those making this claim are necessarily talking out of their asses.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The NRA Wasn’t Always A Front For Gun Makers

The Surprising Unknown History of the NRA: For most of its history, the NRA supported gun control laws and did not see government as the enemy.

The NRA knew for 100 years that reasonable gun control and the banning of certain arms are both perfectly constitutional. In fact, it still knows this, that's why it never sued to overturn the Assault Weapons Ban. However, it and the gun industry also know how gullible ammosexuals are and that they'll swallow anything in order to keep stroking their pitiful compensatory fetish toys.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Armed Educators (and trusted people who work within a school) love our students and will protect them. Very smart people. Must be firearms adept & have annual training. Should get yearly bonus. Shootings will not happen again - a big & very inexpensive deterrent. Up to States.
12:54 PM · Feb 24, 2018
>Punt<
I'm going golfing, good luck with that gun thing. :wave:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The AV Club: Get Involved, Internet: Tell Amazon (and Roku, and Apple, and Google) to dump NRATV
Just now, we took a moment to call Roku customer support to leave a comment replying to the spokeswoman who told Variety that the company doesn’t plan to drop NRATV, and it has “not received any requests from customers to drop the channel.” Well, there’s one. Be polite—the people who work at these phone banks aren’t making these decisions, executives are—be brief, and be persistent, on the phone or on social media. If you need one, here’s a sample script: “Hi, I’m a (Google/Apple/Roku/Amazon) customer, and I’m calling to request that you stop streaming NRATV on your platform immediately.”

Apple U.S. customer support: 1-800-275-2273 / @Apple, @AppleTv, @AppleSupport
Amazon customer support: 1-888-280-4331 / @Amazon, @AmazonHelp, #StopNRAmazon
Google Chromecast customer support: 1-844-400-2278 (844-400-CAST) / @madebygoogle, @Google
Roku customer support: 1-816-272-8106 / @RokuPlayer, @RokuSupport

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just now, we took a moment to call Roku customer support to leave a comment replying to the spokeswoman who told Variety that the company doesn’t plan to drop NRATV, and it has “not received any requests from customers to drop the channel.”
I'm not a Roku customer, so my note above evidently doesn't count, but given the rapidity of action by so many companies they are certain to be lying.

Thank you for contacting FedEx. We regret the delay in our response to your inquiry.

FedEx offers transportation services and rates to millions of businesses, associations and consumers around the world. These services and rates have no connection to or imply endorsement of any of our customers or their position on any issue. A summary of the organizations, issues and causes we support and contribute to can be found on http://fedexcares.com and http://policy.fedex.com.

Thank you for your patience in this matter, and for contacting FedEx.

Jan Dereck B.
FedEx Customer Service
:cussing:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

These Companies Are Sticking By The NRA (UPDATED)
Many brands that offered discounts to NRA members are dumping the gun group after its furious response to the Florida mass shooting.

... Other companies ditching the NRA include ... TrueCar, which powered a new and used car site ...

After initially defending discounts for NRA members traveling to Dallas in May for the group’s annual convention, both Delta and United announced plans to end their respective relationships with the NRA Saturday. Starkey Hearing Technologies, which offered savings on hearing aids for members, also stated it would not renew its contract with the NRA.

A representative for Harland Clarke, which prints NRA-branded checks, said Sunday the company “intends to terminate” its contract with the group....

Amazon

... A Change.org petition also aims to get NRA TV pulled from Amazon in particular.

Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s: (https://basspro.custhelp.com/app/ask, https://cabelas.custhelp.com/app/ask)

FedEx

... GunsDown, an anti-gun group, has been petitioning FedEx to end its affiliation with the NRA for over a year.

Hyatt Regency (Dallas): (worldofhyatt@hyatt.com - email)

SiriusXM: (https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/ask)

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The petition to the National Rifle Association’s corporate partners reads:

“The NRA is a dangerous extremist group. Its ‘guns everywhere’ agenda threatens public safety and makes it almost impossible to pass gun control legislation at the federal or state level. It’s time to stop supporting them.”
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

December 2012:
rstrong wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:21 am
Perhaps Republicans are finally getting the message that their war on women is costing them votes. For example Mike Huckabee commenting on Fox News that the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary was because Americans have "systematically removed God from our schools."

It's refreshing to see a Republican leader choose a subject other than rape when they feel the urge to say something goddamned stupid.
While bad for immigrants, it's nice to see that with the alt-right running the party, they're no longer blaming all non-Christians in general for mass shootings.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:53 am
While bad for immigrants, it's nice to see that with the alt-right running the party, they're no longer blaming all non-Christians in general for mass shootings.
Actually, I've seen a lot blaming the mass shootings on "declining morals" and "removing God from the schools". "Liberal" parenting, schools and society are also popular scapegoats, never mind that Cruz is a hardcore rightwinger.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:04 pm
Actually, I've seen a lot blaming the mass shootings on "declining morals" and "removing God from the schools". "Liberal" parenting, schools and society are also popular scapegoats, never mind that Cruz is a hardcore rightwinger.
Oh. The puts the Sutherland Springs church shooting back in November, 26 dead and 20 injured, into new perspective. Also the Charleston church shooting, 9 dead, 3 injured. Etc.

Someone must be removing God from churches too.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:27 pm
... Someone must be removing God from churches too.
I think Christians did that a long, long time ago. ;)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thank you for contacting us. I want to reply to you after receiving your recent message about content on the Roku platform.

My coworkers and I share deep sadness about the recent tragedy that occurred in Florida.

Our streaming platform allows our customers to choose from thousands of entertainment, news and special interest channels, representing a wide range of topics and viewpoints. Customers choose and control which channels they download or watch, and parents can set a pin to prevent channels from being downloaded. While the vast majority of all streaming on our platform is mainstream entertainment, voices on all sides of an issue or cause are free to operate a channel. We do not curate or censor based on viewpoint.

We are not promoting or being paid to distribute NRA TV. We do not and have not ever had a commercial relationship with the NRA. Their channel is free to consumers with no ads. We welcome Moms Demand Action and other important groups to use our platform to share their messages too.

While open to many voices, we have policies that prohibit the publication of content that is unlawful, incites illegal activities or violates third-party rights, among other things. If we determine a channel violates these policies, it will be removed. To our knowledge, NRA TV is not currently in violation of these content policies.

I hope you better understand our position. We too want to see an end to these tragedies. I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Roku Customer Support
Thanks for the reply.

I think every channel enhances your bottom line, if sometimes indirectly.

I think you need to reexamine your definitions of "incites illegal activities or violates third-party rights".

I will continue to shun Roku.

(Vrede too)
We appreciate you for reaching out to us regarding this issue and sharing your concern. 

The NRA Prepaid Card program has been under review.

For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at the information below.

Thank you,

Ashley Whitcomb
Analyst, Customer Experience
Netspend, a TSYS Company
Austin, TX 78701
www.netspend.com
:thumbup:
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about new proposals to improve gun and school safety following mass shootings. I appreciate hearing from you.

On February 14, 2018, a disturbed 19-year-old male shot and killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. My wife Susan and I are praying for the victims and their families. This senseless act of violence and the loss of so many innocent young lives is truly heartbreaking.

Every American – regardless of their political views – can agree that we cannot allow school shootings to become a new normal in our society. In recent weeks, our nation has had a dialogue on ways to prevent future tragedies. My personal view is that addressing the underlying causes and saving lives will require a combination of proactive, commonsense initiatives on the part of communities and federal, state, and local governments.

At the federal level, Congress must focus on fixing a federal background check system that isn’t as effective as it needs to be when it comes to keeping firearms out of the hands of individuals who present a danger to their communities. Reporting requirements and relevant background check software must be up-to-date and reliable. By bolstering communication and coordination between relevant health and safety agencies, we can both help ensure that firearms do not fall into the wrong hands and protect the Constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.

That is why I am a co-sponsor of S. 2135, the Fix NICS Act, which will help ensure state and federal authorities are reporting accurate information to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) by holding federal agencies accountable for failing to report relevant records and incentivizing states to improve their reporting practices. I believe this legislation strikes the right balance to make our country safer from violence, while also being mindful of law abiding Americans right to the Second Amendment, whether for self-defense, hunting, or recreation.

I welcome a discussion of ideas to make our communities safer from violence, as well as a thoughtful and compassionate discussion on ways to improve our mental health system. While there are strongly-held opinions on these issues, I believe a healthy dialogue is long overdue, and I am optimistic we can find bipartisan common ground in the weeks and months ahead.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact me again about other important issues.

Sincerely,
Thom Tillis (R-NC)
U.S. Senator
Weak response from a prime NRA lapdog.

Tell members of Congress: Pledge not to take another penny from the NRA!

On Mon, February 26, 2018 4:58 am, NCGV wrote:

> When the N.C. General Assembly returns in May, lawmakers are expected to
> allow 18 year-olds with no training and no background checks to carry
> hidden loaded weapons in public. This is dangerous and unacceptable.
>
> HB 746 <https://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bil ... H746v3.pdf>
> has already passed the House and Senate consideration in the next step.
> We need you to contact state senators Alexander, Barringer and Tarte and
> ask them to stop this bill.
>
> The public is behind our opposition to permitless carry. Only 10% of
> Democrats and 30% of Republicans support the gun policy proposal of
> allowing concealed carry without a permit.
>
> Please call and/or write these senators and share with them why HB 746 is
> a dangerous bill and that you urge them to oppose it. Contact information
> is below:
>
> - Senator John Alexander – 919.733.5850, John.Alexander@ncleg.net
> - Senator Tamara Barringer - 919.733.5653, Tamara.Barringer@ncleg.net
> - Senator Jeff Tarte - 919-715-3050, jeff.tarte@ncleg.net
>
> Here is a sample message:
>
> Hi, my name is _____. I am calling to urge the senator to work to make
> sure that HB 746 is not brought up for a vote in the senate. I feel
> strongly that 18 year-olds with no training or background check should not
> be able to carry a hidden loaded weapon in public. This is a dangerous
> idea. Please get in touch with me to tell me your position on HB 746 –
> (contact information)
>
> As always, thank you for taking this simple but important action. You are
> the ones that are protecting North Carolinians from gun violence.
>
> Thank you,
> Becky
>
> NCGV
> http://www.ncgv.org/
> NCGV - P.O. Box 51565, Durham, NC 27717, United States

Becky Ceartas
Executive Director
North Carolinians Against Gun Violence
919-403-7665
http://www.ncgv.org
https://www.facebook.com/saferNC
https://twitter.com/ncgv
Office hours - Monday and Friday - 9:30am-4pm; Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday -10:30am - 1:30pm
Dear Sens. Edwards (mine), Alexander, Barringer and Tarte, and Rep. McGrady (mine),

HB 746 is a dangerous bill, allowing 18 year-olds with no training and no
background checks to carry hidden loaded weapons in public is
unacceptable.

Only 10% of Democrats and 30% of Republicans support the gun policy
proposal of allowing concealed carry without a permit.

Even President Trump wants to raise the purchase age to 21.

Please get in touch with me to tell me your position on HB 746.

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
On Mon, February 26, 2018 9:29 am, Rep. Chuck McGrady wrote:

> Chuck: Since you only copied me on you message to others, I guess you
> know my position on the bill. I voted “no” on the bill. Hopefully, the
> Senate will just not take it up.

I remember that and thank you. Just wanted you to know what I'm writing
the Senate about in case it comes back for reconciliation.

(Vrede too)
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:45 pm
Omni Hotels: https://www.omnihotels.com/contact-us
Email to me and my response:
Thank you for contacting us with your concern. Omni Hotels & Resorts has no partnership with the NRA and does not offer NRA member discounts. Please send any additional comments to GuestComments@omnihotels.com.

We do appreciate you contacting us! If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Alisia Naatz
Sales Specialist
Omni Hotels & Resorts

800-843-6664
reservations@omnihotels.com
??? The article I linked says about you:

"Omni’s Dallas outpost will host events put on by the NRA as part of its national convention in May. A spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment."

Discounts aren't the issue, but your business relationship with the NRA is.

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
Laziness on their part or deliberate obfuscation?
1312. ETTD.