Gun Legislation

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Gun Legislation

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:33 am
I didn't even call him a strawman, but he does love playing with his little strawmen army guys.
Sorry, my not quoting him made my post unclear. I was correcting him, not you.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

11-year-old boy kills grandmother (and himself) after being told to clean his room: Officials

The only thing that can stop a bad 11-year-old with a gun is a good 11-year-old with a gun who cleans his room without being told.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:21 pm
11-year-old boy kills grandmother (and himself) after being told to clean his room: Officials

The only thing that can stop a bad 11-year-old with a gun is a good 11-year-old with a gun who cleans his room without being told.
"The American Academy of Pediatrics has hardened its stance against spanking children as a form of parental discipline.
In a new policy statement, published in the journal Pediatrics on Monday, the pediatricians' group recommends that adults caring for children use "healthy forms of discipline" -- such as positive reinforcement of appropriate behaviors, setting limits and setting expectations -- and not use spanking, hitting, slapping, threatening, insulting, humiliating or shaming."

Methinks the boy should have had a few time-outs, positive reinforcements of appropriate behaviors, setting limits, and setting expectations in his life. I'm certain that he would have graciously said a sweet "yes ma'am" and cleaned his room.....or maybe:
"the best thing to do is just pick them up and move them somewhere else, distract them, change the subject -- and that's usually all they need and they can handle it,"
Too bad Granny didn't pick him up and move him somewhere else or distract him. That room would have been cleaned in a heartbeat.
Ideologies of this nature is why the kid killed Grandma. Ideologies of this nature is why the 14 year-old kid got his ass kicked for cursing and calling his teacher "nigger" and throwing a basketball at him. Ideologies of this nature is why kids curse their teachers, assault them, curse the police, and anyone in general who attempts to enforce in an authoritative role. A whipping is part of growing up; it instills respect for parents, siblings, oneself, and teaches right from wrong. Parents need to be PARENTS, not try to be their kid's super-cool best friend.
Last edited by Leo Lyons on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I've got no words for that type of thought in 2018. :crazy:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm
I'm with ya. :roll:
The panty waists think kids learn all they need to know about life from a computer or smartphone; therefore they need no discipline. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:34 pm
O Really wrote:
The panty waists think kids learn all they need to know about life from a computer or smartphone; therefore they need no discipline. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Sorry, no. It's your thought that leaves me aghast and speechless.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:34 pm
O Really wrote:
Sorry, no. It's your thought that leaves me aghast and speechless.
:lol: :silent: I knew it would.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 pm
Vrede too wrote:

"The American Academy of Pediatrics has hardened its stance against spanking children as a form of parental discipline.
In a new policy statement, published in the journal Pediatrics on Monday, the pediatricians' group recommends that adults caring for children use "healthy forms of discipline" -- such as positive reinforcement of appropriate behaviors, setting limits and setting expectations -- and not use spanking, hitting, slapping, threatening, insulting, humiliating or shaming."

Methinks the boy should have had a few time-outs, positive reinforcements of appropriate behaviors, setting limits, and setting expectations in his life. I'm certain that he would have graciously said a sweet "yes ma'am" and cleaned his room.....or maybe:
"the best thing to do is just pick them up and move them somewhere else, distract them, change the subject -- and that's usually all they need and they can handle it,"
Too bad Granny didn't pick him up and move him somewhere else or distract him. That room would have been cleaned in a heartbeat.
Ideologies of this nature is why the kid killed Grandma. Ideologies of this nature is why the 14 year-old kid got his ass kicked for cursing and calling his teacher "nigger" and throwing a basketball at him. Ideologies of this nature is why kids curse their teachers, assault them, curse the police, and anyone in general who attempts to enforce in an authoritative role. A whipping is part of growing up; it instills respect for parents, siblings, oneself, and teaches right from wrong. Parents need to be PARENTS, not try to be their kid's super-cool best friend.
Call me crazy but I think that kids grandmom beating respect into him wouldn't have stopped him from murdering her over homework. Have you ever thought about murdering your grandparents for having to do chores? I haven't. I think that kid had some bigger issues.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Some people just like beating kids and killing adults, it doesn't have to make any objective sense.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Citizens in WA vote to restrict semi-auto rifles:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ton-state/

And modify regulations on police use of deadly force:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... s-returns/

:clap: :clap:

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:53 am
Some people just like beating kids and killing adults, it doesn't have to make any objective sense.
I don't think you can beat morality into someone. Well, I I guess you can, but I wouldn't call fear of retribution a good form of ethics. Teaching empathy seems much more desirable. I don't know anything about kids so how you'd go about teaching them right and wrong is beyond me. If I had a kid, I think I'd try to teach them to be empathetic first and foremost.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:56 am
I don't think you can beat morality into someone. Well, I I guess you can, but I wouldn't call fear of retribution a good form of ethics. Teaching empathy seems much more desirable. I don't know anything about kids so how you'd go about teaching them right and wrong is beyond me. If I had a kid, I think I'd try to teach them to be empathetic first and foremost.
We have a fucked up culture. Think of sci-fi or even not so fi discussions. Genetic engineering is contemplated for strength, beauty, athletic ability, intelligence and absence of disease, which are all fine things, or in a dystopian world for combat skills or compliance with authority. Never mentioned is engineering for empathy, cooperation, creativity, compassion, literature, art, beneficial rebelliousness, etc., despite the fact that we have always been a communal and imaginative species. It's little wonder that some people think that child abuse is the way to make decent and productive citizens, alternatives aren't modeled for them.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

There is no one-size-fits-all magic formula for producing well-adjusted adults, and there have been many people who as kids survived hideous conditions and treatment and turned out very well - one well-known example being Elizabeth Smart and many others in foster homes and homes with really bad parents. Others have been raised in environment where it appears everyone did everything right and they still turn into killers.

But overall, I don't think there's any real doubt that a beaten kid is more likely to turn into an adult abuser than one treated more humanely.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Proverbs 13:24: "He who spares the rod hates the child."
Cause the bible told ya so, right leo?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:42 pm
Whack9 wrote:
We have a fucked up culture. Think of sci-fi or even not so fi discussions. Genetic engineering is contemplated for strength, beauty, athletic ability, intelligence and absence of disease, which are all fine things, or in a dystopian world for combat skills or compliance with authority. Never mentioned is engineering for empathy, cooperation, creativity, compassion, literature, art, beneficial rebelliousness, etc., despite the fact that we have always been a communal and imaginative species. It's little wonder that some people think that child abuse is the way to make decent and productive citizens, alternatives aren't modeled for them.
There's this whole "tough guy manly man" insecurity endemic with a lot of guys (and gals too). An over-overggeration of surface level toughness and hardness. They like to complain that kids are soft and throw hate their way to prop themselves up and make themselves feel superior, I think.

People would rather knock another down a knotch rather than help lift each other up.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
We have a fucked up culture; the drug culture that you champion. Legalize drugs and that beating and killing shit will stop overnight!
Last edited by Leo Lyons on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 am
Citizens in WA vote to restrict semi-auto rifles:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ton-state/

The sweeping 30-page measure will raise the legal age to buy semi-automatic rifles to 21. To obtain such weapons, people will need to pass an enhanced background check, take a training course and wait 10 business days after a purchase.
"To buy a gun?" ... What about those already in possession? What's going to control them? Who/what's going to control who or how they're used? Who really needs a semi or fully automatic rifle anyway? If the citizen's vote makes it legal, (I smell a lawsuit) why not totally ban a semi or fully automatic rifle?

I-1639 also will enact a storage law. Gun owners who don’t secure their firearms with devices such as a trigger lock or safe could be charged with gross misdemeanor or felony “community endangerment” crimes for allowing prohibited people (such as children) to access and display or use the weapons.
"Hey Mr. Burglar? Mr Burglar!" Would you mind waitin' a minute so's I can find the key for the trigger lock on my gun? It was rat chere just yesterdy!" A discipline thing. We were taught NEVER TO TOUCH Dad's guns; we didn't have to be told twice.

And modify regulations on police use of deadly force:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... s-returns/ :clap: :clap:
Now they have to figure out and vote on how to modify regulations on criminal's use of deadly force.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:00 am
Call me crazy but I think that kids grandmom beating respect into him wouldn't have stopped him from murdering her over homework. Have you ever thought about murdering your grandparents for having to do chores? I haven't. I think that kid had some bigger issues.
"Beating and hitting" are words that lefties favor over discipline, spanking, or whipping.
It's pretty much all the same, but the lefty terms makes it sound more abusive. I got whipped, spanked, and verbally disciplined. It didn't make my brain mushy, it didn't make me walk or talk funny, or any of that bullsh*t trauma crap that is spewed out over the media and the 'how to' articles in Yahoo nowadays.

People say "I don't hit (beat, spank, whip) my children." Well, yeah, it shows. In school, dealing with authority, dealing with their peers, etc.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Whack9 wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Some people are absolutely brain dead too. They grow up to be activists and outright assholes.
I don't think you can beat morality into someone. Well, I guess you can, but I wouldn't call fear of retribution a good form of ethics. Teaching empathy seems much more desirable.
You can't. Even the basest of the animal kingdom learn by watching. They learn right from wrong, where the danger is, what not to put in their mouth, and lastly, who garners respect.

I don't know anything about kids so how you'd go about teaching them right and wrong is beyond me. If I had a kid, I think I'd try to teach them to be empathetic first and foremost.
That's a hard one. I don't know your age, but when I was growing up, Dad worked full time, Mom worked part time; whereas today both parents (if there are two) don't have time to teach ethics, or hardly anything else for that matter. Used to be, the school teacher could blend ethics into their civics classes, but now it's all computers and ass-kissing.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:42 pm
It's little wonder that some people think that child abuse is the way to make decent and productive citizens, alternatives aren't modeled for them.
What I said about a lefty. “A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.”

There's a difference in abuse and discipline. Threads of this semblance have been repeated over and over in this debate forum, and I wholeheartedly agree that it's obvious you suffered more abuse than you did discipline; it shows in your replies to others, your verbal treatment of others, and your overall attitude of narcissism and condescending. That one that rents out the hollow spot in your head once wrote of someone who knew you and told how everyone who worked around you inwardly despised you. You complain that others whine about and attack you; yet you think nothing of blasting into someone yourself.

Your kind will never change. There is a difference in abuse and spanking.