Gun Legislation

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Gun Legislation

Unread post by O Really »

Wait - you mean the shooter wasn't a Muslim from one of the proposed-banned countries? Oh well, should be interesting to see how he manages to "extreme vet" and deport Dems. (Not that he wouldn't really like to do just that)

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:06 pm
Old white Trump-hating Bernie supporter. For the record, I'm still here and I'm not a woman beating, gunhugging businessman from IL.
Me, too, and me, neither.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Muslim terrorists don't target other religious extremists here.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:58 pm
Wait - you mean the shooter wasn't a Muslim from one of the proposed-banned countries? Oh well, should be interesting to see how he manages to "extreme vet" and deport Dems. (Not that he wouldn't really like to do just that)
Nothing more than a liberal whiny-assed snowflake had a personal meltdown.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

After 152 Mass Shootings In 2017, It Took An Attack On Congress To Get Our Attention
Mass shootings in 2017 are outpacing those in previous years.

... Apart from the setting ― a tony neighborhood in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside of Washington D.C.― and the high-profile targets, the episode was sadly not all that remarkable. It was the 153rd mass shooting of the year, in just 165 days, according to a tally by the Gun Violence Archive, a not-for-profit organization that tracks shootings across the country. Hours later, the 154th appeared to be unfolding in San Francisco.

Mass shootings have only rarely made national headlines in 2017, but they are so far outpacing the rate seen in recent years....

Gun Violence Archive has verified nearly 7,000 gun deaths so far this year, not including suicides, as well as more than 13,000 injuries. The overwhelming majority of this bloodshed passes without much publicity outside of local news....

The number of mass shootings in the U.S. has become an increasingly heated point of debate over the past few years, as they’ve become more frequent.

The FBI doesn’t have an official definition of “mass shooting,” and there are disagreements over how to count them. The Gun Violence Archive defines mass shootings as incidents in which four or more people are shot (injured or killed) in a single event, at the same general time and location, not including the shooter....
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:10 pm
After 152 Mass Shootings In 2017, It Took An Attack On Congress To Get Our Attention
Mass shootings in 2017 are outpacing those in previous years.

... Apart from the setting ― a tony neighborhood in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside of Washington D.C.― and the high-profile targets, the episode was sadly not all that remarkable. It was the 153rd mass shooting of the year, in just 165 days, according to a tally by the Gun Violence Archive, a not-for-profit organization that tracks shootings across the country. Hours later, the 154th appeared to be unfolding in San Francisco.

Mass shootings have only rarely made national headlines in 2017, but they are so far outpacing the rate seen in recent years....

Gun Violence Archive has verified nearly 7,000 gun deaths so far this year, not including suicides, as well as more than 13,000 injuries. The overwhelming majority of this bloodshed passes without much publicity outside of local news....

The number of mass shootings in the U.S. has become an increasingly heated point of debate over the past few years, as they’ve become more frequent.

The FBI doesn’t have an official definition of “mass shooting,” and there are disagreements over how to count them. The Gun Violence Archive defines mass shootings as incidents in which four or more people are shot (injured or killed) in a single event, at the same general time and location, not including the shooter....
"Our" attention?
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

As much attention as I pay, I would not have guessed that there have already been 154 mass shootings In 2017. Anyhow, attention, even when it's to shot congresspeople, is unlikely to translate into action.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:18 pm
As much attention as I pay, I would not have guessed that there have already been 154 mass shootings In 2017. Anyhow, attention, even when it's to shot congresspeople, is unlikely to translate into action.
But what kind of action? More loose and ill-defined SYG bullshit? A push to allow handguns on baseball diamonds and not just in the stands?
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:22 pm
But what kind of action? ...
I meant nothing meaningful towards reducing overall gun violence, though we'll probably be paying for a lot more congressional security.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:53 pm
Boatrocker wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:22 pm
But what kind of action? ...
I meant nothing meaningful towards reducing overall gun violence, though we'll probably be paying for a lot more congressional security.
Perhaps. I hope you aren't overestimating their propensity for idiotic, over-response.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm confused now. I've been saying that nothing will happen.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:06 pm
Ah, yes. Mea culpa. I used "overestimating" when I really meant "underestimating." Brain fart.
I think we can rely on the RW tendency to over-react, even when more restraint would serve them better.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Boatrocker wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:40 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:06 pm
Ah, yes. Mea culpa. I used "overestimating" when I really meant "underestimating." Brain fart.
I think we can rely on the RW tendency to over-react, even when more restraint would serve them better.
Maybe it would serve their long term interests in living in a free reasonable society, but their immediate interests are in overreacting and firing up the morons.

Have you seen the new ad in the Georgia race basically saying that liberals applaud murdering republicans
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Have not seen that, but I am thoroughly unsurprised. They stoke the fires of Murkan fascism.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

By taking the position that any restriction whatsoever is unacceptable, and having bought up a significant number of Congressional members, the NRA has made rational thinking pretty much impossible. But to see what Republicans really think, check on the firearm restrictions at their meetings, rallies and conventions.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:21 pm
... Have you seen the new ad in the Georgia race basically saying that liberals applaud murdering republicans
No, but there's this:

GOP official apologizes for saying Scalise shooting helps party in Ga. election
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Boatrocker wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:53 pm
Have not seen that, but I am thoroughly unsurprised. They stoke the fires of Murkan fascism.

This is sick

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/18 ... -shooting/

"
The ad urges Republicans to “stop” Ossoff and claims that the “unhinged left is endorsing and applauding shooting Republicans.”

“When will it stop?” a narrator asks. “It won’t if Jon Ossoff wins on Tuesday, because the same unhinged leftists cheering last week’s shooting are all backing Jon Ossoff. And if he wins, they win.”
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

PolitiFact: The Pants on Fire claim that Ossoff supporters celebrated violence against GOP

The ads come from the Republican Principled PAC:
Principled PAC is run by Republican political consultant Reilly O'Neal, whose LinkedIn profile lists him as working for Tidewater Strategies, a firm based in Raleigh-Durham region of North Carolina.
Reilly O'neal was campaign manager for North Carolina US Senate candidate Greg Brannon. Tidewater Strategies backed former Wall Street executive Frank Roche for the Republican nomination for North Carolina's 4th congressional district.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Assholes one and all

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

"Principled"? Seriously?
Se Non Ora, Quando?