The Most Honest 3 Minutes in Television

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: The Most Honest 3 Minutes in Television

Unread post by rstrong »

Thank-you America, for Costco.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

rstrong wrote:Thank-you America, for Costco.
I've not seen this thread before, so I backed up to see what you meant by the Costco comment. I didn't see anything right away, so with it being a short thread, I went back to the beginning. Being put off by the speaker's trashy mouth in response to the young lady's question, I didn't watch it all. (I'm no prude, but even though it was an acted out feature, I don't especially care for videos peppered with vulgarisms.)
Despite it's faults and shortcomings, the USA IS the greatest country in the world . . . at least for now. For our next president, we're about to get an egotistical, loud-mouthed, slovenly, rich slob; or a lying, crooked, rich career politician that just happened to get her misdeeds swept under the rug.

I wonder how great we'll be in a year from now.

(btw, what do you mean by the Costco comment?)
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Seth Milner wrote:
rstrong wrote:Thank-you America, for Costco.
I've not seen this thread before, so I backed up to see what you meant by the Costco comment. I didn't see anything right away, so with it being a short thread, I went back to the beginning. Being put off by the speaker's trashy mouth in response to the young lady's question, I didn't watch it all. (I'm no prude, but even though it was an acted out feature, I don't especially care for videos peppered with vulgarisms.)
Despite it's faults and shortcomings, the USA IS the greatest country in the world . . . at least for now. For our next president, we're about to get an egotistical, loud-mouthed, slovenly, rich slob; or a lying, crooked, rich career politician that just happened to get her misdeeds swept under the rug.

I wonder how great we'll be in a year from now.

(btw, what do you mean by the Costco comment?)
I'm no Hillary fan, but come on seth. How do you come up with career politician and what do you mean by crooked?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:Despite it's faults and shortcomings, the USA IS the greatest country in the world . . .
That's my conclusion in in my first post on the first page. (As a programmer and space buff there's really no other conclusion possible, but there's plenty of evidence outside those realms.) Did you read it?
Seth Milner wrote:or a lying, crooked, rich career politician that just happened to get her misdeeds swept under the rug.
And yet she still better on all those counts than any qualified Republican candidate in several election cycles. Seriously, name one who's better. Even the NON-career politicians (like Carson or Fiorina or Trump) are equally rich and make Hillary look like a saint when it comes to honesty.

She's the most qualified candidate in a long time, and she's competent.
Seth Milner wrote:(btw, what do you mean by the Costco comment?)
I had just gotten back from Costco. I like the bulk quantities, so that I'm not paying the markup over and over to get the same amount. There's a lot of things they just do right.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Yeah, I'd like to hear some of that too. Exactly what do you mean, "crooked?"

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim wrote:How do you come up with career politician
That seems completely fair to me. A politician for most of her adult life. And even her early legal career before that, tailored for a future political career. (Serving as a congressional legal counsel, for example.)

Of course, it's the same thing you'll find in any qualified presidential candidate. Cruz, Romney, Obama etc.: All did something outside of politics early on, but usually with political ties. Even John McCain in the Navy: He served as liaison to the U.S. Senate in the 1970s and helped get congressional financing for a new supercarrier against the wishes of the Carter administration. And then they spend decades in politics.

O Really
Admiral

I've never understood why anyone would want somebody who is not a "career politician" to hold the highest political office in the country. Probably the only job in the world that anybody would claim to prefer an amateur over a professional.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I know of one slot that could have been easily filled by a non-"career" investigative journalist.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:I've never understood why anyone would want somebody who is not a "career politician" to hold the highest political office in the country. Probably the only job in the world that anybody would claim to prefer an amateur over a professional.
This is why I also think congressional term limits are bad.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:This is why I also think congressional term limits are bad.
That would take federal change, maybe even a constitutional amendment. Unlikely.

I was in a state that did it for the state leg. The result was that the career lobbyists gained power relative to the pols.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
JTA wrote:This is why I also think congressional term limits are bad.
That would take federal change, maybe even a constitutional amendment. Unlikely.

I was in a state that did it for the state leg. The result was that the career lobbyists gained power relative to the pols.
Yeah. I don't think people really think that one through. It was even discussed in the Federalist papers, I think.

I bet even less would get done in Congress. Not only that, we'll end up with a bunch of reps serving their final term not beholden to anybody.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm okay with term limits for top slots - POTUS, Gov., Mayor - there is a risk of dictatorial-ish rule, but I don't think it makes sense for collective bodies.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:I know of one slot that could have been easily filled by a non-"career" investigative journalist.
On Fri Apr 17, 2015 Seth Milner wrote: My career was that of an investigative reporter . . .
I was not a journalist; I was a reporter. I never said how, what, or to whom I reported. You fail comprehension . . . again.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

billy.pilgrim wrote: I'm no Hillary fan, but come on seth. How do you come up with career politician and what do you mean by crooked?
O Really wrote:Yeah, I'd like to hear some of that too. Exactly what do you mean, "crooked?"
Dig into the past . . .
Strange ending . . .
O Really wrote:I've never understood why anyone would want somebody who is not a "career politician" to hold the highest political office in the country. Probably the only job in the world that anybody would claim to prefer an amateur over a professional.
You've a point there, considering the current POTUS competition; however, our country's representatives were never meant to be career jobs for the wealthy to get wealthier. Unfortunately though, in order for someone to be able to hold an office in higher government, they best have been born with a silver spoon in their mouth . . . and ass.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:Despite it's faults and shortcomings, the USA IS the greatest country in the world . . .
That's my conclusion in in my first post on the first page. (As a programmer and space buff there's really no other conclusion possible, but there's plenty of evidence outside those realms.) Did you read it?
Not all of it.
Seth Milner wrote:or a lying, crooked, rich career politician that just happened to get her misdeeds swept under the rug.
And yet she still better on all those counts than any qualified Republican candidate in several election cycles. Seriously, name one who's better. Even the NON-career politicians (like Carson or Fiorina or Trump) are equally rich and make Hillary look like a saint when it comes to honesty.
She's the most qualified candidate in a long time, and she's competent.
I'll agree she's more competent over the clown prince, but I've known of the Clinton's for some time.
Seth Milner wrote:(btw, what do you mean by the Costco comment?)
I had just gotten back from Costco. I like the bulk quantities, so that I'm not paying the markup over and over to get the same amount. There's a lot of things they just do right.
Do you have a Sam's Club in your area? Despite their being of the Walmart family, I like shopping there occasionally because I have found many big-ticket items to sell for less at Sam's, plus their membership prices are lower. Just sayin'.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I checked the post. First, that's a dumb distinction. They are synonyms:
journalist
reporter

Or:
Journalism is a broader term that includes all those who are involved in this field whether as an editor, a reporter, anchor, photographers, page designers, graphic artists, and so on.
Or:
A reporter has a more specific function within the realm of journalism.
Or:
A reporter is a type of journalist who researches, writes, and reports on information to present in sources, conduct interviews, engage in research, and make reports.

All reporters are journalists. I was perfectly correct to call you a journalist.

You fail English . . . again, and even fail your own profession.

Then, you haven't complained in over a year. Anyone can search "investigative" and see for themselves. Plus, there's my very first mention of it:
Seth Milner wrote:
Now that's a first! Thank you and you're welcome.
I get that you were desperate for some comeback, but you fail smack talk . . . again.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:I'm okay with term limits for top slots - POTUS, Gov., Mayor - there is a risk of dictatorial-ish rule, but I don't think it makes sense for collective bodies.

Are you sure that lil bush's 1st term was better than any imaginable clinton 3rd term

and too bad FDR couldn't havegone 5
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

You made your point . . .

. . . but "I never said how (in what manner), what, or to whom I reported.

Reporting doesn't always involve writing. I'm leaving it at that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I don't think we'll ever rewrite the Constitution for POTUSes, especially now that a spouse can win. What if Michelle had filed for 2016? Oh baby, that would have really pissed off both the GOP and Hillary. I just think it's a good principle given the risk, understanding that we will lose out sometimes.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Whitewater and Vince, Seth? Seriously?
Republicans dug into those for years, and what did they come up with that Hillary did? That would be nada, zip.