Immigration

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Immigration

Unread post by rstrong »

(Does a quick Wikipedia lookup of Steve Mnuchin and Louise Linton)

They have the same birthday. He became an adult the same day she was born.

Wikipedia reminded me of where I'd heard of her before:
In 2016, Linton self-published a book about her experience, titled In Congo's Shadow, co-authored by Wendy Holden. Linton withdrew In Congo's Shadow from sale after many readers took offence over her portrayal of Zambia. The book has been criticised for its inaccuracies and promotion of the false narrative of "the white saviour".

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:24 pm
My bad. :oops:
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... t45#p75044
Boatrocker wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 7:58 am
Well, really, where is any evidence that the trumphole has ever surrounded himself with decent, competent people? Reagan brought in some real wieners, but he also brought in people who, though we find them ideologically reprehensible, were capable, competent and smarter than Reagan. Because Raygun might have been a little dementia-addled, but he was not a narcissist psychopath with a biblical ego and a hydrogen-fueled insecurity to boot. Dolt45 considers himself an Übermensch, is certain that there is no one available as smart and capable as he is, and wouldn't want them around, if there were. This asshole could keep even a quack like Dr. Phil in business for years.
Thanks Boatrocker!
Always glad to help spread a good epithet, even if I didn't come up with it, myself.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
JTA wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:46 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... JTA, I've gotten lots of compliments for "Dolt .45", too.
That's my favorite. Subtle yet poignant. Did Boatrocker or rstrong come up with that one though? I can't remember if it we me or someone else.
My bad. :oops:
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... t45#p75044
Thanks Boatrocker!
People also really like your 'DonTcare', JTA.

My childhood home:
Fostering Community Trust in Rockville

On June 19, the Maryland city of Rockville passed the Fostering Community Trust ordinance, after a long campaign by community activists. The ordinance, introduced by Councilmember Julie Palakovich Carr earlier this year will prohibit all City of Rockville employees—including police officers—from requesting citizenship or immigration status of any person unless required by law, and would additionally prevent detention of individuals based on immigration detainers in most cases....
:clap:
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

All-Girls Robotics Team From Afghanistan Denied Visas to Compete in U.S. Competition
According to Forbes, the girls made the 500 mile journey from their home city of Herat to the American embassy in Kabul two separate times in attempt to secure their visas, only to be rejected both times without knowing why.
There's an increasing number of stories like this. If you want to call your competition "Global", you can't hold it in in the United States.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:roll: This is what we're frightened of? Lots of folks can't or don't want to even transit here, let alone compete. Does that hurt Canada?

Anyhow, All-Girls Robotics Team From Afghanistan would be a great title for a bad sci-fi movie.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:14 am
People also really like your 'DonTcare', JTA.
Including coworkers, my doctor and his nurse.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:03 am
CBC: Body of woman, 57, found near Manitoba border believed to be asylum seeker, U.S. police say
Members of the sheriff's office, with assistance from the U.S. Border Patrol, found the body of a woman near Noyes, Minn., on Friday around 3 p.m. CT. She was found in a ditch not far from the Canadian border, west of Highway 75, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
[...]
In the first four months of this year, the RCMP intercepted 477 asylum seekers in Manitoba, federal government figures state. 
[...]
Janzen said it's time to close the "loophole" requiring asylum seekers to do irregular crossings.

Under the Safe Third Country agreement, Canada generally does not accept refugee claimants coming in from the U.S., but there are exceptions. Canada is also a signatory to the United Nations Refugee Convention, so those who irregularly cross into the country — meaning they enter somewhere other than a border crossing — can be given permission to make a claim here.
That 477 asylum seekers is just for Manitoba, and doesn't include those who the RCMP didn't intercept.
CBC: 'It was the happiest moment': Asylum seekers who took risky Central American corridor cross into Canada

Things seem to be going a lot smoother now. Not just because of the warm weather, but because procedures and temporary lodging are in place.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:14 pm
Things seem to be going a lot smoother now. Not just because of the warm weather, but because procedures and temporary lodging are in place.
I hope that holds true.
The extension expires in November and I'm pretty sure that there are many more Haitian refugees here than Muslim ones.

No promises yet, but I'm considering volunteering my skills with No More Deaths on the Mexico border.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:03 pm
All-Girls Robotics Team From Afghanistan Denied Visas to Compete in U.S. Competition
According to Forbes, the girls made the 500 mile journey from their home city of Herat to the American embassy in Kabul two separate times in attempt to secure their visas, only to be rejected both times without knowing why.
There's an increasing number of stories like this. If you want to call your competition "Global", you can't hold it in in the United States.
President Trump intervenes to allow Afghan girls to come to US to participate in robotics competition
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'Yank' and 'jerk' are synonyms, coincidence?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The petition to Senate Democrats reads:

“Do everything in your power to resist and obstruct Donald Trump’s and Republicans’ anti-immigrant agenda. Block all legislation that would criminalize immigrants and ramp-up deportations.”
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

(Girls) Afghan team among medal winners at global robotics event

:clap:

Trumpettes are praising Dolt .45 for reversing something his own administration did twice and that never should have been an issue in the first place. Are they really that desperate? Oh wait, I don't blame them.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:53 am
rstrong wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:03 pm
President Trump intervenes to allow Afghan girls to come to US to participate in robotics competition
Follow-up:

Afghan team among medal winners at global robotics event
The Afghanistan team won a silver medal for "courageous achievement." The award recognized teams that exhibited a "can-do" attitude even under difficult circumstances or when things didn't go as planned. The gold medal in that category went to the South Sudan team and bronze to the Oman team, whose students are deaf.

The 2018 competition will be held in Mexico City.

Sixty per cent of the teams participating in the competition were founded, led or organized by women. Of the 830 teens participating, 209 were girls. And there were six all-girl teams, including not only the Afghan squad but also teams from the United States, Ghana, Jordan, the Palestinian territories and the Pacific island nation of Vanuatu.
Meanwhile six teenagers from the Burundi - another source of refugees these days - went missing after the competition. There are reports that two of them were seen crossing the border into Canada to seek asylum.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:06 pm
Follow-up:
I win by 4 minutes. :P
rstrong wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:06 pm
Meanwhile six teenagers from the Burundi - another source of refugees these days - went missing after the competition. There are reports that two of them were seen crossing the border into Canada to seek asylum.
We will eventually want our plaque back.

Please take good care of it.
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

I get so tired of the "they're taking our jobs" argument. Show me one native or local willing to pick up hay on a white hot afternoon. Not me. No way, no how. Been there, done that, but it was ours.

That's the view out of my air-conditioned North Wing.
image.jpeg
Se Non Ora, Quando?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

k9nanny wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 pm
I get so tired of the "they're taking our jobs" argument. Show me one native or local willing to pick up hay on a white hot afternoon.
It's more than that. Something I've posted before:

Wall Street Journal: Immigrants Founded 51% of U.S. Billion-Dollar Startups

(Original report - PDF)

...including Google, SpaceX, Tesla, Uber, Cloudfare and more.

Which isn't at all surprising. When I was in high school it was the immigrants - from Asia, Russia, the Philippines, etc. - who did their homework and got the highest marks. They got the work ethic from their parents. Later I've worked for immigrants who set up businesses here.

Just 17 percent of the finalists in the 2016 Intel Science Talent Search — often called the “Junior Nobel Prize” — were the children of United States-born parents. 75 percent – 30 out of 40 – of the finalists had parents who worked in America on H-1B visas. (PDF)

We all know people with grand plans to improve their lives. They're going to move to the west coast. Or to Canada if the Republicans or Democrats win. They're going to save up, quit their jobs and go back to school. They're going to run for office and fix things. But most never do. They're stuck in the inertia of their own lives, unable to drop or stop making new commitments even in the long term. Or unable to save, or to put in the extra effort. Or just too nervous about taking a leap into a new life.

Immigration acts as a filter. You get only the people who DO the things they said. Who got over their fears. Who put in the extra effort and made the big leap.

These are the kind of people you want as citizens. The kind who ALSO tend to start businesses and create jobs. It's one reason why immigration is a good deal for the countries they head for.

These teens from the robotics competition; we want them as citizens. Good god, we want people like them.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

More "Buy American. Hire American" from the Chief Twit.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/20/538387033 ... gn-workers
Se Non Ora, Quando?

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Restring wrote
(Opps. Autocorrect.)
These are the kind of people you want as citizens. The kind who ALSO tend to start businesses and create jobs. It's one reason why immigration is a good deal for the countries they head for.
Henderson County is home to many businesses owned and operated by Mexicans.
Our roofers were a Mexican owned company, and they kicked ass. Bet'cha " Marco" started out working for someone else, and had the initiative to start his own company. (He also has a German Shepherd.)
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:24 pm
More "Buy American. Hire American" from the Chief Twit.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/20/538387033 ... gn-workers
He means that taxpayers and others should pay enough to attract American workers, not the Dolt .45 Klan.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

China continues to lead the world in immigration policy...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/jus ... &ocid=iehp