Immigration

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Immigration

Unread post by Vrede too »

Latest Trump Tweet:

... farmers & ranchers.... ingrained…
Oh Deere, low hanging fruit. It will be fertile fodder for people to plow ahead with corny jokes.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Latest Trump Tweet:

... farmers & ranchers.... ingrained…
Oh Deere, low hanging fruit. It will be fertile fodder for people to plow ahead with corny jokes.

No way he wrote that himself - no misspelled words
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

k9nanny wrote: . . . Holy crap! I'm becoming way too cynical.
We used to say, "If the Navy doesn't want me to have a bad attitude, they shouldn't give me one."
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Boatrocker wrote:
k9nanny wrote: . . . Holy crap! I'm becoming way too cynical.
We used to say, "If the Navy doesn't want me to have a bad attitude, they shouldn't give me one."
That's good. When a client tries to minimize an employee complaint/charge by saying "oh, he was just a disgruntled employee," I ask them, "OK, so did you hire a disgruntled guy or did you make him disgruntled? Either way, it's your fault."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:That's good. When a client tries to minimize an employee complaint/charge by saying "oh, he was just a disgruntled employee," I ask them, "OK, so did you hire a disgruntled guy or did you make him disgruntled? Either way, it's your fault."
Postal workers everywhere appreciate you. ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Without doubt, the USPS creates its own disgruntlement. Even if they think they could cut down on training costs by hiring them already disgruntled, they'd still make them worse. You could teach a whole course on management by showing what USPS does and then saying "don't do that."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump supporter: My husband is being deported Friday

... Beristain is the owner of Eddie’s Steak Shed in Granger, Ind., which he purchased from his sister-in-law earlier this month after eight years of working at the restaurant.

Beristain was detained during his routine voluntary check-in at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in Indianapolis in February. He immigrated to the United States from Mexico illegally in 1998, deciding not to return after a visit to a family member in California. According to his immigration lawyer, Beristain was in possession of a legal Social Security number, work permit and driver’s license after registering with ICE in 2000.

“We were for Mr. Trump,” said Beristain’s wife, Helen, in an interview with WSBT-TV. “We were very happy he became the president. Whatever he says, he is right. But, like he said, the good people have a chance to become citizens of the United States.”

“I understand when you’re a criminal and you do bad things, you shouldn’t be in the country. But when you’re a good citizen and you support and you help and you pay taxes and you give jobs to people, you should be able to stay.”
Obama let him stay, Trump is doing exactly what he said he would do.
... Headlines like the one in last month’s Washington Post — “These Iowans voted for Trump. Many of them are already disappointed” — are not uncommon, and the Twitter account titled Trump Regrets has already earned over 250,000 followers by simply retweeting users who say they are suffering from Trump buyer’s remorse. In February, Public Radio International reported on a group of Syrians turned away at the Philadelphia airport under Trump’s original travel ban despite holding U.S. visas.

“It was a shock,” said Syrian-American Sarmad Assali, a Trump supporter. “If [Trump] had an issue with them entering the United States, we should have been told about it. It should have been discussed. We should be able to get some legal help in there. … The way they were returned in a two-hour period, it was just devastating.”

Last month the New York Times reported on an Illinois man named Juan Carlos Hernandez Pacheco, an undocumented immigrant who managed a restaurant in the city of Frankfort. In a county that backed Trump with 70 percent of the vote, residents were upset that the president who promised to deport undocumented immigrants was rounding up undocumented immigrants in order to deport them.

“I knew he was Mexican, but he’s been here so long, he’s just one of us,” Debra Johnson, a resident, told the Times.

“I think people need to do things the right way, follow the rules and obey the laws, and I firmly believe in that,” said Lori Barron, another member of the Frankfort community. “But in the case of Carlos, I think he may have done more for the people here than this place has ever given him. I think it’s absolutely terrible that he could be taken away.” ...
Yep, this is how stupid and self-defeating Trump voters are. Overall, America would be better off by letting immigrants stay and deporting Trump voters.

Trump Regrets
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Blame game: Trump casts immigrants as dangerous criminals, but the evidence shows otherwise

... But critics, including civil rights advocates and immigration lawyers, said the Trump administration is purposely inflating the dangers and scapegoating a wide swath of immigrants to manipulate public fears and create more political support for its hard-line policies.

Although federal data are limited, two reports released this month — by the Sentencing Project and the libertarian Cato Institute — confirmed past studies that immigrants, including those here illegally, commit crimes at lower rates than do native-born Americans.

“The big picture concern is that the administration’s policies seem premised on the idea that immigration status is some kind of indicator for criminality, when in fact that is not at all the case,” said Gregory Chen, advocacy director for the American Immigration Lawyers Association. “Why is this administration so hyper-focused on making the connection between crime and immigration?” ...
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

[color=#BF0000]Vrede too[/color] wrote:
rstrong wrote:... And again, Mexican corn production increased by 50% after NAFTA was signed and suddenly they started exporting.

Not everyone agrees that your trickle down corn economics is a good thing.

NAFTA obviously didn't hurt corporate corn farms. We KNOW that mechanization was the culprit (taking away farm jobs), just like it was in the US and Canada over a longer period of time.

We know how rapidly it came about and that the speed and inability to resist or mitigate the impacts were NAFTA created. I have sympathy for your belief that all people must bend over for Big Borg AG because "resistance is futile", but I'm not quite that cynical and immobilized with resignation yet.

Or how about I just mirror your claim, and say that "Your article's entire argument is speculation as to what would have happened with different law and different pols."

That wouldn't make any sense since my buddy, who happens to have decades more experience than you on the topic, merely talked about what did happen.
You should double check your sources.
Mexico's bargaining chips with Trump? How about a corn boycott

... Mexico, which exported surplus corn as recently as the early 1980s, now buys a third of the corn it consumes from the United States. Last year, it purchased $2.5 billion worth of corn from Iowa, Nebraska and other states, making Mexico the largest corn export market for U.S. farmers....

Corn exports to Mexico
Since NAFTA was implemented in 1994, Mexico has steadily increased the amount of corn it buys from the U.S - 13.9 million tons (see graph)

... Whereas NAFTA has benefited many U.S. farmers, Mexico’s agricultural industry has not fared as well. Tomato and avocado farmers have benefited, but large swaths of the country that long relied on the cultivation of corn have been devastated by competition with U.S. farmers.

Small family farms in particular simply could not compete with big U.S. farmers who enjoy hefty federal subsidies. In the 23 years since NAFTA took effect, annual corn imports to Mexico grew from roughly 3.1 million metric tons to nearly 14 million metric tons, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Grains Council.

The change forced many Mexican farmers to shift to subsistence farming or to take up seasonal farming work far from their homes, said Timothy Wise, director of the Research and Policy Program at the Global Development and Environment Institute at Tufts University. Many others left to find work in the United States, he said.

Scientists say an increasing reliance on U.S. corn has also threatened the diversity of corn crops in Mexico, with some ancestral varieties going extinct....
Mexico Corn Production by Year (graph)

23 years since NAFTA took effect in 1994 and it has still not "increased by 50%".

Mexico Corn Exports by Year (graph)

Mexico Corn Imports by Year (graph)

800,000 tons exported, 13.8 (the LA Times article says 13.9) million tons imported in 2016, a corn trade deficit of 13 million tons. Mexican farm jobs and potential farm jobs were replaced by US tractor making and oil company jobs, along with the jobs for whoever makes luxury goods for corporate fat cats.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

DHS won't rule out arresting crime victims, witnesses

So stupid. If a criminal stays free because an immigrant crime victim or witness is afraid to come forward, the next crime victim could very well be a non-immigrant.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump supporter's undocumented Mexican husband deported

An undocumented immigrant from Mexico, who had been living in the US for almost 20 years and married a US-born Trump supporter, was deported on Tuesday (4 April). Roberto Beristain's wife Helen had voted for US President Donald Trump in the November 2016 elections because of his stance on immigration.

The 43-year-old was detained on 6 February when he went in for a routine check with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials. Roberto is believed to have entered the US in 1998 to visit a relative, but continued to live illegally in the country.

During the time period, he obtained a social security card, work permit and a driver's licence, BuzzFeed reported. They couple, who have three children together, later purchased a restaurant near their home in Granger, Indiana and reports suggest that ICE officials took no action against him despite having an order to remove him from the country.

Shortly after he was detained in February, Helen told local media: "I think our President is going to keep all the good people here. He is not going to tear up families. I don't think he wants to do that. He just wants to keep us safe."

In a statement released by his attorneys late on Tuesday, Beristain said: "They suddenly told me it was time to go. They told me to get my stuff, they put me in the back of a van, and sped toward the border.

"They took me to another facility while in transport to sign paperwork. I asked to speak with my attorney, but was told there wasn't time for that. At around 10:00 pm, I was dropped off at the Mexico-US Border and walked into Mexico."

His lawyer Adam Ansari said that his client was deported despite having no criminal record. "He hadn't committed any crimes. He didn't even have a parking ticket," Ansari was quoted as saying....
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It's a sad story, but I've got no sympathy for her. She voted for her own misery, and is still defending Trump even after her husband was snatched. Send her along with him.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Now that her husband has been deported and can't ever legally come back, her family's been torn apart and their business has been harmed or wrecked, she might be on our team.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

17 Attorneys General Say Trump Travel Ban Harms Universities, Medical Institutions, Tourism

The attorneys general of 16 states and the District of Columbia on Wednesday filed a brief asking the 4th U.S. Court of Appeals to uphold a ruling that blocked a major part of President Donald Trump's so-called "travel ban."

The attorneys general argue Trump's revised executive order would negatively impact universities and medical institutions, has a depressing effect on tourism — causing lost tax revenue — and amounts to an anti-Muslim order.

"The unrebutted evidence below shows that EO-1 [Executive Order 1] and EO-2 seek to fulfill the President's promise to ban Muslims from entering the country," the attorneys general said in the brief....

Attorneys general from Virginia, Maryland, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina ( :clap: ), Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Washington, D.C. signed Wednesday's brief....
Contact NCDOJ

Thank you!

(Vrede too)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Support United We Dream and
Grab Lunch in NYC with George Takei

You and a friend will

Get to know the one and only George Takei over lunch
Snap selfies with George and get social media pointers
Be flown out to New York and put up in a 4-star hotel

What you'll do

Get ready for the most memorable lunch of your life. You and your luckiest friend are heading to New York, where you’ll meet George Takei for a delicious meal and even better company. Whether you love Uncle George for his iconic Star Trek role, his run on Broadway, his ridiculously awesome social media activity, or his admirable civil rights activism, this day in the Big Apple will be ripe with memories. George might even help you take your own social media to the next level with selfies and memes galore. Oh myyy, you’re in for quite a treat. Flights and hotel included.

Who you'll help

United We Dream seeks to address the inequities and obstacles faced by immigrant youth and believes that by empowering immigrant youth, we can advance the cause of the entire community—justice for all immigrants. They're driven by and accountable to their thousands of members across the country who make up their sustainable and robust grassroots network. They believe they can build power by organizing at the local, regional, and national levels and aim to provide tools and resources to support their leaders and member organizations, as well as create meaningful alliances with other advocacy organizations.

Nice t-shirt, I went with $100. The amount selection page was a little confusing to me. After paying it looks like I get the t-shirt and 1000 entries towards lunch in NYC with George Takei. I thought the t-shirt was a raffle item, too.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

HAPPY (as much as possible) CINCO DE MAYO!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Featured on 60 Minutes tonight. Also, Nuremberg and the Chicago Cubs.
1312. ETTD.