Immigration

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: Immigration

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

That speech was made in 1978 in an address to the Future Farmers of America. Since then, Americans got too damn lazy for hard work and decided that farm work was beneath their dignity. Today, their idea of a first job is 9-5, full benefits with profit-sharing, paid insurance, a desk job in an air-conditioned office, pay for a 40 hour week with a day off during the week, no Saturady or Sunday work, automatic raises regardless of their work record, 2 weeks of paid vacation after the first year, blah, blah, blah, so forth and so on.

I would hire 1 Hispanic over three whites or Blacks anyday of the week; have done it and paid him/her equal or more than I would have paid the former; and the pay was much more than minimum wage. The white or the Black gets a paycheck and you're lucky to see them the next week.

A hispanic worker is conscientious, dedicated to his job, and I've never encountered a dishonest one. They're eager to learn and shoulder responsibility.

The only rule I had is they had to be here legally.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

That was one of the funniest ads of the whole game. What a hoot. Harvey
always did have a hard time separating reality from his all-American bullshit.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

The lowest job in the economic food chain have always been held by the underprivileged. Sometimes those were (mostly) white sharecroppers, sometimes those were (mostly) black people, sometimes those were Asian, Irish, or, currently Hispanic. During their time "in the barrel" each ethnic or socioeconomic group has generally been hardworking and reasonably reliable. Sure, there is some romanticism about the rugged farmer - as there is about cowboys and criminals like Bonnie and Clyde and Billy the Kid. But mainly it's been just people trying to survive in the place in the world they lived in.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede wrote:Though I don't agree with Leo Lyons' hatred for Americans or his racism, I get his point. I'm old enough to remember what would now just be a silly rather than the previously cruel phrase - "Lazy Mexican".
What the frick are you talking about...?!?

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:"God Made a Farmer" ad - K, we fixed it!

So God Made A Liberal :lol: :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Wneglia wrote: So God Made A Liberal
That's what I'm talking about! :D

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede wrote: You stereotyped Americans negatively, then did the same with whites and blacks.
Stereotyped? Hardly. I spoke from experience, as in been there, tried that. I don't see how you can say I'm stereotyping when what you wrote in response to my post doesn't even make sense.

Ironically, you, a proud cop, now admit to illegal hiring practices. Are you trying to feed an impoverished family like so many illegal immigrants are?
Again, that comment makes no sense. Where, in my post, do you see anything referring to illegal hiring practices? Did the last line I wrote even sink in to you? "The only rule I had is they had to be here legally."

"hatred for Americans or his racism" :roll: :roll: .....that bait don't work.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:
Tell Senator Schumer: Invite an undocumented Latino immigrant to the next hearing (petition)

Not one single Latino immigrant was called to testify while the House and the Senate have been discussing immigration reform this last week. Don't you think that the voices of those most impacted by immigration need to be heard?...
To Senator Chuck Schumer:

Hearing undocumented Latinos testify about how immigration reform affects them is crucial. Latinos are disproportionately represented both in the numbers of people seeking citizenship through immigration reform and in the numbers impacted by deportation, detention, and family separation.

We ask that you invite a Latino undocumented immigrant to the next hearing. The nation needs to hear from day laborers, domestic workers, farm workers, and the many more working class undocumented Latinos who are most significantly impacted by immigration reform.
Invite Manuel :lol:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Remember last year when Texas State Troopers shot at a truck full of illegal immigrants from a helicopter, killing two people inside? Yeah, they're not allowed to do that anymore.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:I guess I applauded too soon.

Pink stripe on NC illegal immigrant licenses eyed

:roll:
You did applaud too soon. You can be sure that with this legislature, if they accidentally do something right, they'll correct it as soon as possible.

Maybe we could put black and white stripes on legislative members' licenses, and an appropriate animal in place of the state shape.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Immigration reform could potentially add 1/2 trillion to real estate sales.

O Really
Admiral

Have you seen that fence? Welcome to America! Couldn't even see the Statue of Liberty if she were standing behind it.
Serious question, for anyone who knows or wants to guess - if you've got a gazillion guards, and are willing to spend gazillions of dollars, can't the border be secured with more tech, less fence? I'm guessing the fence is just there to visually satisfy the right wingers who still don't understand how an "invisible" dog fence works. Of course, if they did understand it, they'd probably want to put a collar on all the Mexicans.

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of the fence, to spend that much money, time and effort, we must have had a lot of Mexicans coming in and bombing stuff, shooting up public places and generally run amok, eh? Or at least we must have caught some "muslims" sneaking across the Mexican border on their way to their virgins. Maybe NSA has found out that the Mexicans are crafting a secret plot to get Texas back. Surely couldn't be building that much wall just to keep out agriculture, landscape, rock, and drywall workers, could we?

O Really
Admiral

Interesting, or at least entertaining, that the "Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act, when inevitably reduced to its abbreviation, begins with "BS"

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Unintended Consequence?

Possible, but probably unlikely, but who knows?

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote: Are you still connected with the Hispanic community, O Really? What do your contacts think? My few ones had mixed feelings before the new amendments.
Better data here than I could provide with anecdotal evidence... http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... igration-/

But in the NVHO's of people I do know, anybody who doesn't get on the bandwagon for some pathway to legality isn't going to get any Hispanic votes, Mexican or Cuban.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

O Really wrote:Speaking of the fence, to spend that much money, time and effort, we must have had a lot of Mexicans coming in and bombing stuff, shooting up public places and generally run amok, eh? Or at least we must have caught some "muslims" sneaking across the Mexican border on their way to their virgins. Maybe NSA has found out that the Mexicans are crafting a secret plot to get Texas back. Surely couldn't be building that much wall just to keep out agriculture, landscape, rock, and drywall workers, could we?
Perhaps the Mexicans should realize most of us would be glad to hand Texas back over.... wouldn't be much of a loss..... probably save taxpayers some money too.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

bannination wrote:. . . Perhaps the Mexicans should realize most of us would be glad to hand Texas back over.... wouldn't be much of a loss..... probably save taxpayers some money too.
Be specific- we would gladly hand over Texas provided the damn Texans went with it. No point giving them thousands of square miles of territory if the Texicans are just gonna dash across the border to OK and AR. Both those states are backward enough without any fucking Texicans making it worse.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Boatrocker wrote:No point giving them thousands of square miles of territory if the Texicans are just gonna dash across the border to OK and AR. Both those states are backward enough without any fucking Texicans making it worse.
FYI-

No real Texan would EVER move to Oklahoma for ANY reason except to drill for oil.

1. texican

A person living in Texas during the time of the Republic of Texas.

A person modern who advocates that Texas secede from the United States.
The Texicans sought entry of Texas into the United States as a way to repay war debts and ensure that Mexico would not attempt to reclaim their former territory.

Senator Smith is running on a Texican platform, claiming that Texas contributes more to the United States that the state receives in return.

A native Texan of Mexican descent.
He's a second-generation Texican.

A Texan of Mexican ancestry
Los Lonely Boys describe themselves as Texicans.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Vrede wrote:
Cowboy wrote:...The Texicans sought entry of Texas into the United States as a way to repay war debts and ensure that Mexico would not attempt to reclaim their former territory...
Wasn't it also about bolstering slavery?
No, slavery is why Texas seceded from Mexico.
Mexico didn't allow slavery.

When Texas joined the Union in 1845, it was as a slave state.
Texas seceded in 1860 to join the Confederacy.