The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

LONDON, ENGLAND Green Day Crowd Singing Bohemian Rhapsody - Hyde Park July 1st, 2017

:clap:

"You know a song has reached iconic status when 65,000 people can all sing it in unison––at an entirely different band’s concert."

Bohemian Rhapsody came out 31 October 1975. How many in the crowd were even alive?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Not my style of music or movie but still, 2,902,395,755 views, a YT record. Daaayum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

JTA wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:23 pm
Not bad, not bad at all. The 1st two, not so much. Too hard for me to get through the music to hear the words.

JTA, give me your opinion of this.
Warning - no politics are involved.

https://youtu.be/cXDL6_3gFu0

https://youtu.be/yEVnOgtJSY0

Thile does Bach on mandolin

https://youtu.be/770rJqDwRXo
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Techdirt: Copyright Madness: Blurred Lines Mess Means Artists Now Afraid To Name Their Inspirations
...keep in mind that the jury awarded the $7.3 million verdict to the Marvin Gaye estate acknowledged that there was no willful infringement on the part of Blurred Lines creators Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams. Put another way, the jury latched onto the duo's perceived and, in the case of Pharrell, stated inspiration by Gaye's contributions to music and decided that inspiration was copyright infringement.
[...]
Now though, music experts have told the Victoria Derbyshire programme that artists are being advised not to mention publicly who has inspired them.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:24 pm
Techdirt: Copyright Madness: Blurred Lines Mess Means Artists Now Afraid To Name Their Inspirations
...keep in mind that the jury awarded the $7.3 million verdict to the Marvin Gaye estate acknowledged that there was no willful infringement on the part of Blurred Lines creators Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams. Put another way, the jury latched onto the duo's perceived and, in the case of Pharrell, stated inspiration by Gaye's contributions to music and decided that inspiration was copyright infringement.
[...]
Now though, music experts have told the Victoria Derbyshire programme that artists are being advised not to mention publicly who has inspired them.

The right is going nuts over a suit over a kids book Chelsea wrote.

No idea if she copied, but my guess is that it is unlikely
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So who did you get to see before they made it big? My list is:
ZZ Topp
John Mellencamp (opening as "John Cougar" for Heart)
Emmylou Harris (playing at dives around UNC-G)

Lady O saw Hendrix and Nirvana when nobody outside the northwest had heard of them.
The Original Lady O saw Hendrix open for the Monkees

Also
Jeff Foxworthy and Tim Allen when both were on the Florida bar/comedy club circuit.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:57 am
JTA wrote:
Not bad, not bad at all. The 1st two, not so much. Too hard for me to get through the music to hear the words.

I really dig it. It reminds me of these guys (Wovenhand). Check this out. Man I would love to see them live in an old synogogue or cathedral or something like in this video:

You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

JTA wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:47 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
JTA wrote:

I really dig it. It reminds me of these guys (Wovenhand). Check this out. Man I would love to see them live in an old synogogue or cathedral or something like in this video:

In 1966 I did an insanely full 14 countries in 21 days with my church youth group. Most of us got drunk on the flight over and didn't sober up until we got home, but high on my list of memories is being in a 6 or 7 hundred year old church listening to music like I had never heard before. There were monks hidden above us singing a Gregorian chant. I still listen to chant music occasionally.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:53 pm
JTA wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:47 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
JTA wrote:

In 1966 I did an insanely full 14 countries in 21 days with my church youth group. Most of us got drunk on the flight over and didn't sober up until we got home, but high on my list of memories is being in a 6 or 7 hundred year old church listening to music like I had never heard before. There were monks hidden above us singing a Gregorian chant. I still listen to chant music occasionally.
Hot damn that sounds awesome. I'd love to visit some of that old shit in Europe.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

JTA wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Hot damn that sounds awesome. I'd love to visit some of that old shit in Europe.
Go, go, GO! If you can get there, you can eat and sleep cheap.
I'm partial to anything Roman or earlier, and we've been blown away every trip. Walking on ancient grounds is indescribable, and the closest I've come to having a religious experience. This year we're going back to Sicily, immortalized by Homer, and a land where Greeks, Romans, and Arabs created a unique blend of cultures. Oh, and the cannoli, a gift from the Arabs, are heaven on earth.

Keeping on topic, the ancient amphitheaters are great venues for a variety of concerts.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

There is something most special about being places where you can walk/sit where people thousands of years ago lived. Authenticity. Real. No plastic Disneyesque reproductions. Try York, JTA, the area where my mum's family is from. You can see Yorkminster, where there is a list of Archbishops starting around 300-something, and have a beer at the oldest continually operating pub in England, where Vikings drank in 900 or so. Go while you're still young - and before Trump makes all Americans persona non grata.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

According to friends and family, our foreign hosts don't hold it against us, they feel sorry for us.
The Italians should be most sympathetic; they had Berlusconi.

A loudmouth Trump supporter might not get the warmest reception.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 am
There is something most special about being places where you can walk/sit where people thousands of years ago lived. Authenticity. Real. No plastic Disneyesque reproductions. Try York, JTA, the area where my mum's family is from. You can see Yorkminster, where there is a list of Archbishops starting around 300-something, and have a beer at the oldest continually operating pub in England, where Vikings drank in 900 or so. Go while you're still young - and before Trump makes all Americans persona non grata.
Been thinking about a trip to India. I've got a bunch of close friends that are from different parts of India, I have plenty of places to stay, and if I go, I'll go with a friend who is from there.

On a related topic, I was asking my buddy from there what Indians back home think of Trump. He says "they like Trump because Trump hates Muslims, and so do a lot Hindus". He was joking (sort of).

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

JTA wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:12 pm
O Really wrote:
Been thinking about a trip to India. I've got a bunch of close friends that are from different parts of India, I have plenty of places to stay, and if I go, I'll go with a friend who is from there.

On a related topic, I was asking my buddy from there what Indians back home think of Trump. He says "they like Trump because Trump hates Muslims, and so do a lot Hindus". He was joking (sort of).

Regrets
I turned down an after graduation trip with a too wild high school buddy a long time ago that ended in India. I still think about it.
The three of them started in Germany and mostly hitchhiked to India. I still think about the age of the roads they traveled. They were stuck for days in Kabul or Kandahar in Afghanistan waiting for a large enough group of people to form a caravan as safety from bandit attack.

The bullshit about untouchable people is one of the highest ranking crazies on the religious crazy list. Other than that and the call centers, which I imagine cover hundreds of acres of land and extend thousands of feet into the sky, India will be a fantastic trip.

I look forward to JTA's India travel blog

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

That would end up being the world's most terrible travel blog haha.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. That explains Trump devotees. The Christians overlook his vile behavior because he's anti-Muslim, and each of his supporters can pick at least one of his targets.

India would be very cool. You can walk in very ancient foot prints. We tend to think that Greece is the bedrock of modern, Western civilization, and we tend to forget that India is indeed the source of Greek philosophy.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:21 pm
JTA wrote:
O Really wrote:

Regrets
I turned down an after graduation trip with a too wild high school buddy a long time ago that ended in India. I still think about it.
The three of them started in Germany and mostly hitchhiked to India. I still think about the age of the roads they traveled. They were stuck for days in Kabul or Kandahar in Afghanistan waiting for a large enough group of people to form a caravan as safety from bandit attack.

The bullshit about untouchable people is one of the highest ranking crazies on the religious crazy list. Other than that and the call centers, which I imagine cover hundreds of acres of land and extend thousands of feet into the sky, India will be a fantastic trip.

I look forward to JTA's India travel blog
Yeah my buddys are all from the highest caste. They said growing up the maids weren't allowed to sit on their furniture nor use the same cups/plates/cutlery ad the family. Their families also forbid them from dating outside of their caste. Same story from other co workers as well.

Also, theyre real big on "status" over there. We are too, but not nearly to the same extent. Titles are a huge deal.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

JTA wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:37 pm
That would end up being the world's most terrible travel blog haha.

I missed these posts. Just take notes and pictures.
One of my favorite books is After You, Marco Polo by Jean Bowie Shor. The author and her husband attempted the trip, and most of it was in Afghanistan. The book sheds a lot of light on the tribal culture that defeated the Soviets and is defeating the US.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

JTA wrote:
Be sure to pack your own Charmin Image
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Man, I'm way ahead of you. Wiping with your left hand has been "in" for years now already. How else do you expect white suburban yuppies to get in touch with their spiritual side? Eating quinoa and doing yoga just ain't enough sometimes.