Just for Fun

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: Just for Fun

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:40 pm
The image thief has struck again!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Imageing

The rats are building a new nest 😁 πŸ€
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:02 pm
The rats are building a new nest 😁 πŸ€
A Martin Sheen wannabee?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So yesterday on the way back from the beach we saw a sign for "farm market store" and decided to stop for some fresh veggies and maybe some lobstah. Turns out there were two entrances, one easy and direct, the other from the other side of the farm (where we were) involved going down a dirt driveway past a lot of the "working" part of the farm. So we're driving in and there was first a sign saying "Slow" which wasn't an issue given how rough the drive was. Then came another sign "Not Slow Enough" followed shortly by another sign "Keep Driving Slowly - the Chickens will Move."
And sure enough, there were a lot of the birds the farm uses for "free range chicken" eggs wandering loose all over. But they did move out of the way (slowly). Nice little (90 acre) farm, though. It sells to the public, has a large "subscription" membership, runs a lobster business, and has other events like corn mazes, "pumpkin patch by the sea" festival, and educational events for kids. Not to mention really excellent produce.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:52 am
So yesterday on the way back from the beach we saw a sign for "farm market store" and decided to stop for some fresh veggies and maybe some lobstah. Turns out there were two entrances, one easy and direct, the other from the other side of the farm (where we were) involved going down a dirt driveway past a lot of the "working" part of the farm. So we're driving in and there was first a sign saying "Slow" which wasn't an issue given how rough the drive was. Then came another sign "Not Slow Enough" followed shortly by another sign "Keep Driving Slowly - the Chickens will Move."
And sure enough, there were a lot of the birds the farm uses for "free range chicken" eggs wandering loose all over. But they did move out of the way (slowly). Nice little (90 acre) farm, though. It sells to the public, has a large "subscription" membership, runs a lobster business, and has other events like corn mazes, "pumpkin patch by the sea" festival, and educational events for kids. Not to mention really excellent produce.
That's cool. Our county finally has allowed chickens, but only 3 hens.

Produce is a lot more difficult than it should be. Roadside and farmer's market type places do sell local, but mostly sell the same stuff you see at the grocery store.
Most is labeled where grown.

Not along my travels much these days, but we do have a farm market north of Allentown that is honor system.

He lays everything out on typical farmers market tables, you weight it and deposit money in a slot in a wooden box.
Trump: β€œWe had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:00 pm

He lays everything out on typical farmers market tables, you weight it and deposit money in a slot in a wooden box.
Found one of those in Vermont, too. I'm surprised it will still work. You'd think now that if the customer thought the farm owner was Red/Blue and was on the other side, s/he's stiff the farmer out of spite. Glad it's not that way - at least in northern Vermont and Allentown.

Interesting story about "honor system" back in the day though - the Peddler Steakhouse chain. Here's a website from one of them, that tells one version of the company legend. Their version is true, to an extent, but that's not the whole story.
http://www.peddlerofboone.com/about-us/

What makes it interesting is that the motel served breakfast on a "pay what you think it's worth" basis. And they made so much off of breakfast that the steaks were all profit.

Try that now...right.

O Really
Admiral

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:00 pm
]

Our county finally has allowed chickens, but only 3 hens.

May not be everywhere, but the local CW station has a program tonight at 8:30 eastern entitled "History of Backyard Chicken Keeping."

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:52 am
Did you find out why the chickens πŸ” crossed the road?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Did you find out why the chickens πŸ” crossed the road?
I think it was to prove to the armadillo that it can be done.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I didn't know that lobsters are grown on farms or that they have armadillos in Maine.

Maybe the chickens are trained to slow down tourists?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:13 pm
I didn't know that lobsters are grown on farms or that they have armadillos in Maine.

Funny. Lobsters aren't grown on farms, but the farm is about 2 miles from the docks. So the farm is run by one part of the family and the lobster business is run by other members.

I don't think armadillos range this far north, but this pest control place has them on its list. I guess just in case one gets snuck in from Florida. But if they do sneak it in it's illegal to keep it in the state. http://www.wildlife-removal.com/state/Maine.htm

Maybe the chickens were trying to prove to the squirrels that it could be done.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:25 pm
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Funny. Lobsters aren't grown on farms, but the farm is about 2 miles from the docks. So the farm is run by one part of the family and the lobster business is run by other members.

I don't think armadillos range this far north, but this pest control place has them on its list. I guess just in case one gets snuck in from Florida. But if they do sneak it in it's illegal to keep it in the state. http://www.wildlife-removal.com/state/Maine.htm

Maybe the chickens were trying to prove to the squirrels that it could be done.

Probably opossums .

Leo Lyons
Ensign

I know this might not be funny/strange to all of you, but, wait! It just might be!

Subject: HIGH SCHOOL 1958 vs. 2018

Scenario 1:
Jack goes duck hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1958 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2018- School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1958 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2018 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled – even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1958 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2018 - Jeffrey is given doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
Billy breaks a window in his teacher's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt and pays for the repair.
1958 - Billy grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2018 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being spanked herself, and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1958 - Mark shares his aspirin with another kid out on the smoking dock.
2018- The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
Pedro fails high school English.
1958 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
2018 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an ant hill.
1958 - Ants die.
2018 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1958 – In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2018 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

an entire division of strawmen downed in a single post

although there are a couple that could be accurate, those can be attributed to right-wing zero tolerance
Trump: β€œWe had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Another potentially good analogy ruined by a heavy infusion of right-wingedness.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 pm
an entire division of strawmen downed in a single post
although there are a couple that could be accurate, those can be attributed to right-wing zero tolerance
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:46 pm
Another potentially good analogy ruined by a heavy infusion of right-wingedness.
I guess this means you two fail to see the humor, huh. :( (not even just a little?)
I'm going to have to learn to walk around with my nose in the air not finding anything to laugh about. :cry:

O Really
Admiral

Well you can carry your nose wherever you like, but I don't find much to laugh about when kids get assaulted with weapons as a "learning experience".
You may not have been around when I was ranting about excessive helicopter parenting and defending "free range" parenting. I would certainly agree that some current practices are - on the surface - unreasonable. But I don't find the ridiculous practice of considering a picture of a gun the same as a gun to be humorous - it's too serious stupidity to be funny.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Not intending to further damage the irony-o-meter, it should be noted that although these are republican talking/funny points, the conditions that led to suspensions for aspirin and gun drawings came directly from republican zero tolerance.

Scenario 9: 1958 Maria and children cross the border claiming that she is being targeted by her corrupt government and that her husband has been murdered. She provides proof and is granted asylum.

2018 Maria and children cross the border claiming that she is being targeted by her corrupt government and that her husband has been murdered. She provides proof. Her children are taken from her and put into cages. She is sent back to be murdered.

I get it now leo. Real funny stuff.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Governor of New Jersey in 1973 - William T. Cahill (R)
James Q. Wilson - "He was the chairman of the Council of Academic Advisors of the (rightwing) American Enterprise Institute, member of the President's (Reagan, Bush I) Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board (1985–1990) ... leading conservative scholar ..."
George L. Kelling - "... a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research ..."
Manhattan Institute for Policy Research - "... a conservative 501(c)(3) non-profit American think tank ..."
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:54 pm
Governor of New Jersey in 1973 - William T. Cahill (R)
James Q. Wilson - "He was the chairman of the Council of Academic Advisors of the (rightwing) American Enterprise Institute, member of the President's (Reagan, Bush I) Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board (1985–1990) ... leading conservative scholar ..."
George L. Kelling - "... a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research ..."
Manhattan Institute for Policy Research - "... a conservative 501(c)(3) non-profit American think tank ..."
Has there ever been a case of republicans accepting responsibility for their actions?