The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

I remembered that Seth Milner shared the exact same video almost exactly 2 years ago. Funny that.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=692&p=65478&hilit=15+girl#p65478
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Zoot suits were well before my time, but the style was toned down and remained as mainstream mens fashion through the 50's. Loose fit, long jackets, padded shoulders, etc. That's what happens to a lot of "outrageous" "sky-falling" styles. Gets absorbed and eventually becomes passe.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:37 am
Zoot suits were well before my time, but the style was toned down and remained as mainstream mens fashion through the 50's. Loose fit, long jackets, padded shoulders, etc. That's what happens to a lot of "outrageous" "sky-falling" styles. Gets absorbed and eventually becomes passe.
See? If you don't crush such abominations immediately and mercilessly, all of society is corrupted.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Could be that trump picked trash sheriffs to make a point that he loves the worst of the worst,

or could be that most sheriffs are slimy crooks.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... a-scrutiny
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:34 am
I remembered that Seth Milner shared the exact same video almost exactly 2 years ago. Funny that.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=692&p=65478&hilit=15+girl#p65478
Imagine that! :o :o Surely that must mean...nahh, surely not...or, just maybe... Funny that. :shock:

I just saw this on YouTube! Ol Seth beat me by two years? :-||

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:37 am
Will the real Clark Kent please step forward ...

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:16 am

See? If you don't crush such abominations immediately and mercilessly, all of society is corrupted.
Good thing that worked, huh?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

50 Years Ago: Antiwar Protesters Brutally Attacked in Police Riots at 1968 Democratic Convention

Militarization fails to enhance police safety or reduce crime but may harm police reputation

Abstract

The increasingly visible presence of heavily armed police units in American communities has stoked widespread concern over the militarization of local law enforcement. Advocates claim militarized policing protects officers and deters violent crime, while critics allege these tactics are targeted at racial minorities and erode trust in law enforcement. Using a rare geocoded census of SWAT team deployments from Maryland, I show that militarized police units are more often deployed in communities with large shares of African American residents, even after controlling for local crime rates. Further, using nationwide panel data on local police militarization, I demonstrate that militarized policing fails to enhance officer safety or reduce local crime. Finally, using survey experiments—one of which includes a large oversample of African American respondents—I show that seeing militarized police in news reports may diminish police reputation in the mass public. In the case of militarized policing, the results suggest that the often-cited trade-off between public safety and civil liberties is a false choice.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So if the same circumstances occurred today - 10,000 protesters, 24,000 police/national guard - how many black people do you suppose would be killed? I think that just the fact that 24,000 armed people managed to kill 11 or so people during mayhem, compared to the inability of cops now to avoid killing individual unarmed black guys speaks volumes about the "militarization" of the police. Interestingly enough, though, of all killed during the entire summer or riots, 34 of 39 were black guys.

O Really
Admiral

Good article here on the role of cops in schools. Bottom line, they may be prepared for the highly unlikely attack, but they aren't prepared to handle the normal bratty teenager.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/09/12/ ... -ordinary/

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:03 am
Good article here on the role of cops in schools. Bottom line, they may be prepared for the highly unlikely attack, but they aren't prepared to handle the normal bratty teenager.
A bratty teenager? In school? For real? :angel:
It seems as though you and I just had a rather lengthy discussion on this subject wherein you insisted...
well, you know. :lol: :lol:

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:28 am
O Really wrote:
A bratty teenager? In school? For real? :angel:
It seems as though you and I just had a rather lengthy discussion on this subject wherein you insisted...
well, you know. :lol: :lol:
I'm pretty sure I've never said there were no bratty teenagers in high schools. To the contrary, I would argue that most of them go through various stages and severity of brattiness. And if you want to call the ones who protest against stupid dress requirements bratty, fine - go for it. Maybe they are. But that doesn't make their point wrong, and it doesn't release the ummmm "adults" in school administration and police from their responsibility to deal with normal bratty behaviour.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:54 am
And if you want to call the ones who protest against stupid dress requirements bratty, fine - go for it.
Protesting is fine. The attitude is the issue.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:10 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:54 am
And if you want to call the ones who protest against stupid dress requirements bratty, fine - go for it.
Protesting is fine. The attitude is the issue.
You say that now. That's not how you argued. Not once did I see a comment that started something like, "Well, the kid's a real jerk, but she's got a point..."

Anyway, what particular attitude do you object to? The one that drives a refusal to be a victim?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:

Different article, similar info. and conclusions:

The Other Side Of School Safety: Students Are Getting Tasered And Beaten By Police
In the wake of the deadly Parkland shooting, more armed police officers are being stationed in schools. But what happens when they’re the ones perpetrating
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:05 pm
You say that now. That's not how you argued. Not once did I see a comment that started something like, "Well, the kid's a real jerk, but she's got a point..."
Anyway, what particular attitude do you object to? The one that drives a refusal to be a victim?
Why do I feel you're yanking my chain?
My argument was the school has a right o dictate a dress code. The girl was warned. The girl and her mother copped a shitty attitude.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:

Another:
WE CAME TO LEARN
A CALL TO ACTION FOR POLICE FREE SCHOOLS

(article)

Safety does not exist when Black and Brown young people are forced to interact with a system of policing that views them as a threat and not as students. For many Black and Brown youth, the presence of police in their schools disrupts their learning environments. There is a culture clash that exists between law enforcement and the learning environment: police enforce criminal laws, while schools are supposed to nurture students. This report addresses the stark reality that police in schools is an issue of American racial disparity that requires deep structural change. We will explore the question of why police are in schools at all and conclude that police are incongruent with the educational environment we envision for our children....

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The petition to all major banks that finance or profit from private prisons and immigrant detention, including JPMorgan Chase, reads:

“Stop financing corporations like CoreCivic and The Geo Group that build and manage private prisons and immigrant detention centers and make enormous profits from the suffering of immigrants and communities of color."
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:56 pm

The petition to all major banks that finance or profit from private prisons and immigrant detention, including JPMorgan Chase, reads:

“Stop financing corporations like CoreCivic and The Geo Group that build and manage private prisons and immigrant detention centers and make enormous profits from the suffering of immigrants and communities of color."
"To end Trump's war on immigrants, we must expose and hold accountable the financial institutions that are enabling and profiting from his cruel and racist regime. Speak out now to demand that JPMorgan Chase stop financing Trump's hate."
• To end Trump's war on (illegal) immigrants...
• Speak out now to demand that JPMorgan Chase stop financing Trump's (attempting to enforce our immigration laws)

Just curious Vrede, do you sign every one of these petitions you post? :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Officer Who Killed 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice Gets New Police Gig
Timothy Loehmann was not indicted for the shooting but was fired from the Cleveland department for lying about his poor job history as an officer.

"the village of Bellaire, in southeastern Ohio" :roll:

Washington State Supreme Court Abolishes Death Penalty
A Victory We Can All Be Proud Of

Yesterday, America woke up to the news that there is one less state in our country that uses the death penalty. Congratulations to lawyers for this litigation victory which now enables Washington State to join the noble ranks of American states who have abolished the death penalty.

The language the Washington State Supreme Court used to unanimously strike down the death penalty has sent reverberations across the nation. The Washington Supreme Court confirmed something that we in the movement have known and communicated all along; that the death penalty is arbitrary and racially biased. In her lead opinion, Chief Justice Mary Fairhurst wrote: “The death penalty is unequally applied – sometimes by where the crime took place, or the county of residence, or the available budgetary resources at any given point in time, or the race of the defendant. Our capital punishment law lacks ‘fundamental fairness.’”

... In the past 15 years, seven states – Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, New Mexico, and New York – have abolished capital punishment either via court order or legislative act. And in Colorado, Oregon and Pennsylvania, moratoriums that have halted executions have been adopted....
1312. ETTD.