The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:30 am
And then some really are still "the good guys..."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/polic ... ocid=wispr
Great job, but something's missing in the reporting.

"jump several feet from an overpass onto concrete below." - Pretty low overpass.

How could she make the same jump as the boy and not get injured, and why would she? Did she dangle first, move to where the drop is lower, something else?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I wondered about that, too, but hey - you don't get that many chances anymore to say something good about cops, so I didn't want to miss the chance.
And that one answers the common question, "hey, why don't real cops ever look like Nikki Heat or Olivia or Rizzoli." This one does.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:41 am
... And that one answers the common question, "hey, why don't real cops ever look like Nikki Heat or Olivia or Rizzoli." This one does.
Good point . . . or Poppy Montgomery!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

What happens when a good cop chooses truth and justice over his lying, murdering partner:
Ex-Texas cop guilty of murder for killing unarmed black teen

... Oliver retrieved his rifle and went toward Gross, who was ordering the car carrying Edwards to stop. Oliver testified that he saw the car back up and stop for a second before moving forward and going toward Gross.

Testifying in his own defense, Oliver told the jury the car was about to hit his partner. Oliver said he felt he had no other option but to fire.

Gross, however, testified that he did not fear for his life and never felt the need to fire his weapon. He also said he didn't feel like the vehicle was trying to hit him.

Prosecutors said Oliver fired after the vehicle passed Gross. Investigators also said no guns were found in the teens' vehicle.
:clap: :---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Girl's dress-code protest shirt lands her in juvenile detention for 6 days

:roll: :ateeth:

The articles don't say whether it was Police (possible) or Sheriff (probable), so I have not contacted them.
The Christian County Board of Education and Superintendent have social media accounts (I don't), but no listed email.
Christian County Schools:
http://www.christian.kyschools.us/
The web contact form for Hopkinsville High School is:
http://hopkinsvillehigh.christian.kysch ... shank=NoCC
My note:
Congrats, you have given the entire school a lesson on how authoritarian government represses free speech, and have shamed Hopkinsville High School and the Christian County School District in front of the world.

(real name, town, email address)
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

"Nobody told her"

I've always heard that ignorance of the law is no excuse, but if she "didn't know", why did she wear a shirt asking a question that is clearly harassment of school administrators because she was suspended for wearing a low-cut revealing blouse? It's clear she was spoiling for a fight, and it's clear that her mother had no better respect for school policy than the girl. Her afterwards antics in the hallway showed she had no respect for any authority.
Schools have to have some semblance of a dress code and an order of discipline.

My vote is for the school.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"clearly harassment", snowflake?

Anyhow, look again, they magically changed that stupidity about the protest shirt to a different stupidity when they realized how stupid "harassment" was. This was about repressing legit expression with any excuse, nothing more.

I wore a Vietnam Moratorium armband to school when I was 13 or 14. Got mildly hassled by some older kids, the school didn't care, the world didn't end, and I guarantee you that it was a better school system than Christian County, KY has.

The protest shirt was not a dresscode violation.
Kids in trouble should be able to call their parents, period.
Cops should not cuff and manhandle children over a dresscode violation, period.

Everything that followed was fruit of the poisoned tree.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:24 pm

The articles don't say whether it was Police (possible) or Sheriff (probable), so I have not contacted them.
The Christian County Board of Education and Superintendent have social media accounts (I don't), but no listed email.
My note:
Congrats, you have given the entire school a lesson on how authoritarian government represses free speech, and have shamed Hopkinsville High School and the Christian County School District in front of the world.

Six days in jail??!!

That certainly fits the crime :ateeth:

Kentucky.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Several things about that article -
No, schools don't "have" to have some stupid dress code. Except maybe requiring clothes. If they spent more effort on things that matter instead of petty crap, they'd probably get better results. I saw an article about a high school around here that had "simplified" (done away with) it's dress code. If I can find it again, I'll post it. Anyway, the new rules list a few things that are forbidden - all pretty obvious and reasonable, lists a few things that are required - again pretty obvious and reasonable, and otherwise they school stays out of student's clothing choices. Surprisingly, the world did not end. Students dressed about the same as ever, and no crises ensued.

BTW, Leo, it's not "ignorance of the law is no excuse." It's "ignorance of the law is not a (legal) defense." Big difference. Sometimes ignorance is indeed the excuse and a very good one at that.

And any teacher/school cop that puts their hands on my daughter is in for a world of hurt. Even losing a lawsuit, I could make their lives miserable for long enough they'd regret their over-reaction.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:24 pm

My note:

Dick cops for escalating the school's bullshit. The lawsuit will be fun.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:19 pm
"clearly harassment", snowflake?
"Taunting" would have been a better choice of words.

Anyhow, look again, they magically changed that stupidity about the protest shirt to a different stupidity when they realized how stupid "harassment" was. This was about repressing legit expression with any excuse, nothing more.
Her "taunting" shirt was nothing more than spreading an atmosphere of disrespect among the other students, and by flaunting it, with her mother's encouragement, she was clearly harassing school authorities. Her mother is a poor example of parental authority by encouraging her misbehavior.

I wore a Vietnam Moratorium armband to school when I was 13 or 14. Got mildly hassled by some older kids, the school didn't care, the world didn't end, and I guarantee you that it was a better school system than Christian County, KY has.
Did it expose your cleavage? You know nothing about Christian County, KY schools other than what you base this tale of a poor, undisciplined, and spoiled child on.

The protest shirt was not a dresscode violation.
No, but her insolence toward the school dress code and school authorities was.

Kids in trouble should be able to call their parents, period.
Cops should not cuff and manhandle children over a dress code violation, period.
Everything that followed was fruit of the poisoned tree.

I agree with you there; but the girl's hateful and disrespectful attitude is what poisoned the fruit; the shirt did not get her in the detention center, it was her physical interaction to authorities, i.e. kicking the cop. That warrants cuffs. Struggling, screaming and cursing leads to "manhandling".
There was a time that LEO's were respected; nowadays it seems people see how far they can be pushed; or they instigate a situation because they're hoping for a payday from a lawsuit; which is probably how this will play out.
Last edited by Leo Lyons on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:33 pm
Several things about that article -
No, schools don't "have" to have some stupid dress code. Except maybe requiring clothes.
Yes, they do. Sagging pants, exposed cleavage, sprayed-on tights, excessive bling, and bare midriffs have no place in school; it's not a fashion arena to elicit attention from the opposite sex.

If they spent more effort on things that matter instead of petty crap, they'd probably get better results.
Unwanted sexual advances and/or teen pregnancy is petty crap, and don't matter?

I saw an article about a high school around here that had "simplified" (done away with) it's dress code. If I can find it again, I'll post it. Anyway, the new rules list a few things that are forbidden - all pretty obvious and reasonable, lists a few things that are required - again pretty obvious and reasonable, and otherwise they school stays out of student's clothing choices. Surprisingly, the world did not end. Students dressed about the same as ever, and no crises ensued.
What's the difference in a dress code and "new rules that list a few things that are forbidden"? What is a "simplified" (done away with) dress code? They didn't do this when we were in school, but practically every school system now has a student handbook that has a dress code, and these codes specifically state what is not to be worn to school. For this girl and her mother to say "we didn't know" is unbelievable; or an outright lie.

And any teacher/school cop that puts their hands on my daughter is in for a world of hurt. Even losing a lawsuit, I could make their lives miserable for long enough they'd regret their over-reaction.
If your daughter puts her hands on the teacher or cop FIRST, that teacher or cop is empowered to react in any reasonable manner to bring the situation under control; whether or not she is a minor is irrelevant, and that's not over-reaction. (Been there, done that.)
The news has been full of spoiled brats from first graders to teens who thought they were invincible because their parents didn't teach them better. As for your making "their lives miserable", tells me that you're not the caliber person I envisioned you to be.

BTW, Leo, it's not "ignorance of the law is no excuse." It's "ignorance of the law is not a (legal) defense." Big difference. Sometimes ignorance is indeed the excuse and a very good one at that.
OK, I misquoted.
Last edited by Leo Lyons on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:59 pm
Six days in jail??!! That certainly fits the crime :ateeth:
Because she kicked the cop. That's assault on a Law Enforcement Officer.

Kentucky.
And 49 more states

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

Kentucky.
And 49 more states
Six days without due process? Is she Hispanic?

Very doubtful on your 49 states unless they're all in the bible belt.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:11 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:

Kentucky.
And 49 more states

Tennessee may be pretty near the top notch on the stupid belt, but at least they can recognize a white girl when they see one.

When the Red neck Woman country singer created an 80 minute disturbance on a flight back to red neck land, the cops did arrest but didn't stack charges or even charge her for resisting - just a $1,000 bond and a court date for a misdemeanor.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

I wonder what it would take, and how long, for people to realize that styles come and go, and young people will experiment with creation of "something different" styles. I am amazed how any person of age to have been young in the 60's-70's can get all uptight over clothing/hair styles. Don't they remember the "adults" of the time raving about how the world will end unless all these filthy hippies cut their hair. They don't remember Nehru suits, huge bellbottoms, disco-wear, or burned bras? And if they're older, they don't remember zoot suits and flapper-wear? And did the world end because of long hair styles? Don't think so.

And why do they keep hiring Ms. Balbricker?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:11 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:

Kentucky.
And 49 more states
That does sound extreme; but there's some holes in that story.

Assault on a cop is not a punishable offense?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:39 am

When the Red neck Woman country singer created an 80 minute disturbance on a flight back to red neck land, the cops did arrest but didn't stack charges or even charge her for resisting - just a $1,000 bond and a court date for a misdemeanor.
Hey, you gotta go, you gotta go!

"Wilson was taken into custody and charged with breach of peace. Her bail was set to $1,000 and she's expected to appear in court Wednesday.
Police have not publicly provided details about the “disturbance” on the plane or why Wilson was belligerent."

Maybe the “Redneck Woman.” was “All Jacked Up” and was convinced she was “One of the Boys.” :toothy:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 am
I wonder what it would take, and how long, for people to realize that styles come and go, and young people will experiment with creation of "something different" styles. I am amazed how any person of age to have been young in the 60's-70's can get all uptight over clothing/hair styles. Don't they remember the "adults" of the time raving about how the world will end unless all these filthy hippies cut their hair. They don't remember Nehru suits, huge bellbottoms, disco-wear, or burned bras? And if they're older, they don't remember zoot suits and flapper-wear? And did the world end because of long hair styles? Don't think so.
I remember those days, but the "clothing/hair styles" in the 60's-70's weren't body revealing, and school-age girls didn't go bra-less.
I remember when boys were sent home for sporting a Mohawk haircut or for not shaving. :lol:
What amazes me though, is that how any person of age thinks it's OK for a teenage girl to wear low-cut blouses and other types of body revealing clothing to school, and think it's OK for the parent(s) to encourage outright insolence and combative attitudes. More and more stories are coming out about students attacking teachers --- because there is no discipline, respect, or personal values taught at home

One argument I read, was the writer, like you, couldn't understand what a student wore to school would have any bearing on the education process. Well plenty. If a boy is distracted by a girl's display of body parts, or spray-on tights; or a girl is struck with awe at some boy's ass crack; how are they to stay focused on their studies? Go to the damn mall!

I stand with the school.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:14 am

Assault on a cop is not a punishable offense?

Yes, but the definition/interpretation has gotten a lot wider in recent years and now it's become pretty much a "catch-all" charge -much like the infamous "broken tail light" that it seems all the Hispanic guys seem to have.

Used to be, cops didn't find it all that unusual for a miscreant to struggle, fight back - particularly if the miscreant was a bit drunkish. No harm, no foul - they just tangled with the drunk/student as part of the job and hauled them in.

Now, they've been imbued with such a power trip that holding up a hand in a "wait" gesture has been called a threat.

How do we get away from black/white all/nothing no tolerance mode and into something approaching reason? I'm guessing it will get worse before it gets better, since the response to failure of authoritarianism seems to be more authoritarianism.