The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:25 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:12 pm
“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”
― Socrates
"The father of Greek philosophy — was put on trial for...corrupting the youth of Athens."
Same will probably happen to the girl's school authorities; how dare they think of imposing moral standards!
Such a fair trial and just verdict.

Progressive thinking=death. Would that make you happy Leo?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

The 1st Amendment is immoral?
Imprisoning children for 6 days over a minor scuffle is moral?
Who knew?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:04 pm
The 1st Amendment is immoral?
Who knew?
It wasn't what she did, it was What she did. No problem when the Redneck Woman country singer goes off causing a disturbance during a flight and then resists arrest.

It has little to do with the specific act of resisting but everything to do with the who and why. That's what determines the need to escalate to compliance no matter the consequences. Then start stacking charges.

Remember the guy who charged the victim, he beat, with destroying police property because the victim's blood splattered on the cop's shirt? Recent, east coast somewhere.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:36 pm
It wasn't what she did, it was What she did. No problem when the Redneck Woman country singer goes off causing a disturbance during a flight and then resists arrest.

It has little to do with the specific act of resisting but everything to do with the who and why. That's what determines the need to escalate to compliance no matter the consequences. Then start stacking charges.
Agreed.
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:19 pm
"clearly harassment", snowflake?

Anyhow, look again, they magically changed that stupidity about the protest shirt to a different stupidity when they realized how stupid "harassment" was. This was about repressing legit expression with any excuse, nothing more.

I wore a Vietnam Moratorium armband to school when I was 13 or 14. Got mildly hassled by some older kids, the school didn't care, the world didn't end, and I guarantee you that it was a better school system than Christian County, KY has.

The protest shirt was not a dresscode violation.
Kids in trouble should be able to call their parents, period.
Cops should not cuff and manhandle children over a dresscode violation, period.

Everything that followed was fruit of the poisoned tree.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Remember the guy who charged the victim, he beat, with destroying police property because the victim's blood splattered on the cop's shirt? Recent, east coast somewhere.
I haven't heard about that one, but it doesn't surprise me. I teach activists that touching a cop, cop car or other equipment, or cop animal with a single finger is legally assault on an officer, and that many cops are so wussy as to press the charge.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:37 pm
Such a fair trial and just verdict.
For pointing out that children are rude?

Progressive thinking=death. Would that make you happy Leo?
No thanks. I'm not a Liberal. :shock:

What is progressive thinking?
People who are progressive favor reform and civil liberties: this is the opposite of conservative, and means something close to liberal. Progressive people are interested in change and progress. You're a progressive thinker if you like to think up new ways of doing things and you're open to change.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Even worse, it's the death sentence if you're a black man in your own apartment and a white cop thinks it's her apartment.
Dallas officer faces manslaughter charge in apartment shooting

A Dallas police officer will be charged with manslaughter after mistakenly entering an apartment she thought was hers and fatally shooting the man who lived there, authorities said on Friday....

"It's not clear what (the) interaction was between her and the victim," Hall said. "But at some point, she fired her weapon, striking the victim. She called 911."

"Right now, there are more questions than we have answers," the chief said. "We understand the concern of this community."

The officer is white, while her victim was a black man whose family is from the Caribbean island of Saint Lucia, Hall said.

The St. Lucia Times reported that Jean was the son of a former permanent secretary for two governmental ministries of St. Lucia and he had been employed by PricewaterhouseCoopers and lived in a gated community. PricewaterhouseCoopers spokeswoman Megan DiSciullo told Reuters that Jean had worked in the company's Dallas office for two years.

Citing a relative of Jean, the newspaper reported that the officer lived on another floor of the same complex....
People are understandably suggesting that there must be more to the story.

Was the door unlocked?
Previous interaction?
Why wasn't the different furniture and decor recognized?
Etc.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:04 pm
I can't elaborate on why the six days; but, if a kid has it in their mind they're grown up enough and bad-ass enough to taunt authority figures and assault an officer, they're no different from adults. We had a 13 year old boy kicking one of our officer's ass until two more of us pulled him off. Trayvon Martin, of the "Unarmed Black Teenager" fame was quite the bully due to his size and undisciplined temperament; terrorizing, strong-arming, and vandalizing, and then he thought he was going to whip an adults ass, which unfortunately was his undoing. Had he been apprehended after strong-arming that store, I'm willing to bet that he would have fought and been jailed.

Who knew?
Yep, who knew that adults would ever allow their kids to become the arrogant brats so prevalent in our society today?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:
It wasn't what she did, it was What she did.
It was what she did after she was told what not to do.Then it was what she did with her Mother's blessing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

You've made your point, Leo - you "stand with the school." Well, all authoritarians need (rely on) followers, so they appreciate your efforts.

Anyway, IMNVHO, it's not so much whether a school establishes a dress code or not, it's whether what they establish is reasonable and -most importantly - is administered with reason.

For example, it sounds reasonable to have a rule of no hats in classrooms, yes? But is a yarmulke a hat? Certainly, but do you want to get into the weeds arguing over religious liberty? Or how about a bow in the hair? Maybe not - depends on how it's attached. If it has a base, though...maybe it's a hat. You want to spend time that could be productive arguing over that? How about a headband? Probably not a hat, but if it has a little visor? Ummmm. You want to measure the width of a girl's blouse strap to determine if it's "spaghetti" or sufficiently wide enough to be acceptable? School administrators just create their own misery on these issues and then dig in when they feel threatened.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

You're grasping at straws.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1941 - shoulders, midriff, hat:

Horrors! :shock:
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:51 pm
1941 - shoulders, midriff, hat:

Horrors! :shock:
She's older than 15. She'd be 77 now. Your point?

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:43 pm
No, I'm giving a realistic and logical conclusion to what would appear on the surface to be a reasonable rule. People, and especially teenagers, are hard-wired to push limits. You know you're going to have to make fine-line decisions and distinctions. A wise person will anticipate that in their responses. An destined to fail person will just say "because I said so."

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:49 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:43 pm
No, I'm giving a realistic and logical conclusion to what would appear on the surface to be a reasonable rule. People, and especially teenagers, are hard-wired to push limits. You know you're going to have to make fine-line decisions and distinctions. A wise person will anticipate that in their responses. An destined to fail person will just say "because I said so."
Again, an education is to prepare the student to live in the world outside their parents, to make sound decisions on their own in regards to their own character, dealing with financial responsibilities, and dealing with others around them...throughout their entire lives. That's why we have laws requiring an education. Pampering, doting over them, and defending them when they have the "nobody's going to tell me what to do" attitude renders those responsibilities useless.

Open your eyes; take a realistic look around at what's coming up today; it's not just a "I was to told to cover my shoulders" thing; it goes much deeper; our court's decisions and our societal attitudes are failing...miserably.

O Really
Admiral

You're too late, Leo. The sky has already fallen because of youthful rebellion and fashion.

Now I am old-fashioned. A woman, I consider, should be womanly. I have no patience with the modern neurotic girl who jazzes from morning to night, smokes like a chimney, and uses language which would make a billingsgate fishwoman blush!”
Agatha Christie character

In the 1920s in the United States, public attention was riveted on the represented antics
of a new, rebellious younger generation. Within the mass culture of the burgeoning
magazine and movie industries, as well as the new medium of motion pictures and
expansions in advertising, one of the hottest topics of the time was youth.1 Commentators
of the time wrote extensively on whether or not the younger generation was leading
society toward progress or toward destruction. But while the ostensible topic of
these discussions was the behavior of young people, popular representations of youth
in crisis depended on a constant series of comparisons between young and old

THE FLAPPER AND THE FOGY: REPRESENTATIONS
OF GENDER AND AGE IN THE 1920S
Laura Davidow Hirshbein

Leo Lyons
Ensign

I stand with the school.
If a 15 year old thinks she's badass enough to lash out at adults and authority in general; she gets treated like an adult.

I remembered seeing this about a badass in the news a couple of years ago. Captioning says it's a 15 year old girl, but I recall her being 13 at the time. Notice how she handles herself when questioned by an officer.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:35 pm
You're too late, Leo. The sky has already fallen because of youthful rebellion and fashion....
Give an inch and the next thing you know they'll be wearing zoot suits.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:08 pm
Notice how she handles herself when questioned by an officer.
Interesting vid as much for what wasn't shown as for what was. Cops approach to the white male driver was friendly and conversational. "What happened here, sir?" But it doesn't show the original approach to the black female. The first interaction shown on the vid is the cop shouting a loud "Hey!" It's not clear exactly what the girl's role is - whether she's the one who bumped the car or if she's a witness - but either way she's not a criminal suspect. So yeah, the girl responded badly, but her response apparently wasn't to the same friendly conversational approach the white male got. And the fact that the original approach isn't included in the vid makes me go "hmmmmmm."

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:36 am

Interesting vid as much for what wasn't shown as for what was. Cops approach to the white male driver was friendly and conversational. "What happened here, sir?" But it doesn't show the original approach to the black female. The first interaction shown on the vid is the cop shouting a loud "Hey!" It's not clear exactly what the girl's role is - whether she's the one who bumped the car or if she's a witness - but either way she's not a criminal suspect. So yeah, the girl responded badly, but her response apparently wasn't to the same friendly conversational approach the white male got. And the fact that the original approach isn't included in the vid makes me go "hmmmmmm."
You got the same impression I did, but any sympathies go lost in the ensuing confrontation. OK, I'm done if you are!

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:19 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:35 pm
You're too late, Leo. The sky has already fallen because of youthful rebellion and fashion....
Give an inch and the next thing you know they'll be wearing zoot suits.
Are you making a racist comment?!?

Who wore zoot suits?
In Los Angeles during the 1930s and 1940s, zoot suits were mostly worn by poor and working class Mexican, African American and Jewish youth.
These tailored outfits had broad shoulders and cinched waist pants that tapered at the ankles.