The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:Three former Virginia attorneys general urge commutation of death sentence for Ivan Teleguz

I don't know that Ivan Teleguz is innocent, but how funky this case is proves why we shouldn't have the death penalty.
Gov. McAuliffe Decides to #LetIvanLive!

:clap:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Police dept. in Maine upgrades officer qualifications...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/animals/ ... ?ocid=iehp

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm surprised that the black one survived.

After getting busted they butted heads:

Hey kid, ruminate on this - I told you those donuts looked like a dirty, nanny state copper trap.

Doe! Yeah Billy, we were on the lamb but it's baaaack to jail for us. You can't buck the system.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Body cam footage contradicts officer’s claims in shooting death of teen, police chief says

Anyone surprised?
Bring Charges Against the (lying) Officer Who Killed Jordan Edwards (Petition)

**UPDATE** 05.02.2017 - Roy Oliver, the officer who shot and killed Jordan Edwards, has been fired from Balch Springs Police Department--citing several policy violations. But the road ahead is still long for Jordan Edwards' family--whose lives are forever changed by this tragedy--and for justice. Demand the DA bring criminal charges NOW
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Do you think nobody can read or hear these headlines in other venues for themselves, attention queenie?
If you're not seeking attention, what else would you call it? Maybe you think everyone else is too illiterate to gather news on their own, so it's your responsibility to clue them in?
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too on Jul 20, 2016 wrote:(North Miami, FL) Police shoot autistic man's (unarmed) caretaker as he lies in street

:cussing:

Support your local police, shoot yourself.
Update:

North Miami Officer Is Arrested Over Shooting Of Therapist During Standoff

9 months, but better late than never. The article doesn't say whether North Miami police Officer Jonathan Aledda was back on the streets during the overlong interim.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Stand up for North Carolina’s youth by supporting "Raise The Age"

North Carolina stands alone as the only state in the nation to automatically charge 16 and 17-year-olds as adults in criminal court, regardless of the offense. House Bill 280 would raise the age and send 16- and 17-year-olds charged with misdemeanors and low-level felonies—over 97% of the youth currently charged with crimes—to the juvenile justice system instead of the adult criminal justice system. It is the right thing to do for directly impacted youth, their families, and all North Carolinians.

For years the ACLU of North Carolina and our partners have urged officials to end this harmful and outdated policy that brands our state’s young people with lifelong criminal records and makes it harder for them to turn their life around.

Now, at long last, change may be around the corner. Sign the pledge and tell officials it’s long past time to do the right thing for North Carolina’s young people.
My Rep. McGrady (R) is carrying the bill.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tell the FEC: Investigate if private prison companies illegally donated to Trump’s election!

Petition to the Federal Election Commission:

A subsidiary of GEO Group, a private prison operator with a troubled record, contributed $225,000 to a Trump-affiliated super PAC. GEO itself contributed $250,000 to Trump’s inauguration. It was then granted a $110 million contract from the Justice Department after the DOJ rescinded President Obama's phase-out of private prisons. Federal contractors are prohibited by law from making political contributions. Please convene an investigation into this and other potentially illegal political contributions to President Trump.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

CBC: Peel cop asks party to quiet down, comes back to rock out on the drums
About half an hour passed before the two constables returned to the backyard party on Cliff Drive. 

Surely that was the end of the party, Bjelic thought, and the mood among the 75 or so guests sank for a moment, he said.

Then something entirely unexpected happened. He asked if they had come back to shut it down.

"'Well no'," Bjelic recalls one of the officers saying. "'I was hoping I could sit in on a song with the band'."

The constable took off his standard duty boots, sat down behind the drum kit, and proceeded to pound the skins like a madman to the band's original music, Bjelic said.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Cop Rock.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Boatrocker wrote:Cop Rock.

That's what Andy would do when the Darlings would disturb the peace

https://youtu.be/BSG3shlHG7c
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Aw, that one makes me cry!
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Murder case dropped after man serves 25 years in prison

Prosecutors dropped all charges Thursday against a Detroit man who accused police of pinning a murder on him by seizing his mother's gun and switching bullets in a case that kept him in prison for 25 years....

The 51-year-old let out a deep sigh and hugged and shook hands with his legal team, mostly lawyers and students from the Innocence Clinic at University of Michigan's law school. They asked the judge to reopen the case in 2016 after photos of two bullets taken from the victim, Gerry Bennett, did not resemble the bullets that were examined by a gun expert before trial 25 years ago....

David Moran, director of the Innocence Clinic, said police conduct was "criminal." But no retired officers can be pursued because too many years have passed....
I don't know if it's legally defensible, but my opinion is that a new crime occurs each day that the wrongly convicted stays in prison. The clock on the statute of limitations shouldn't start until the day of exoneration.

Abraham drew near, and said, "Will you consume the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous within the city? Will you consume and not spare the place for the fifty righteous who are in it? ... What if ten are found there?" He [The Lord] said, "I will not destroy it for the ten's sake."
-- about the destruction of Sodom which God did destroy after rescuing most of Lot's family (Genesis 18:23-32)

"Avoid legal punishments as far as possible, and if there are any doubts in the case then use them, for it is better for a judge to err towards leniency than towards punishment."
"Invoke doubtfulness in evidence during prosecution to avoid legal punishments."

-- Muhammad (tome [Jami'] of at-Tirmidhi)

"it is better and more satisfactory to acquit a thousand guilty persons than to put a single innocent one to death."
-- 12th-century legal theorist Maimonides

"one would much rather that twenty guilty persons should escape the punishment of death, than that one innocent person should be condemned and suffer capitally."
-- Sir John Fortescue's De Laudibus Legum Angliae (c. 1470)

"It were better that Ten Suspected Witches should escape, than that one Innocent Person should be Condemned."
-- Increase Mather, 3 October 1692, while decrying the Salem witch trials

"All presumptive evidence of felony should be admitted cautiously; for the law holds it better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent party suffer."
-- English jurist William Blackstone in his seminal work, Commentaries on the Laws of England, published in the 1760s.

"it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer".
-- Benjamin Franklin
Authoritarian personalities tend to take the opposite view; Bismarck is believed to have stated that "it is better that ten innocent men suffer than one guilty man escape". Pol Pot made similar remarks. Wolfgang Schäuble referenced this principle while saying that it is not applicable to the context of preventing terrorist attacks. Former American Vice President Dick Cheney said that his support of American use of "enhanced interrogation techniques" (torture) against suspected terrorists was unchanged by the fact that 25% of CIA detainees subject to that treatment were later proven to be innocent, including one who died of hypothermia in CIA custody. "I'm more concerned with bad guys who got out and released than I am with a few that in fact were innocent." Asked whether the 25% margin was too high, Cheney responded, "I have no problem as long as we achieve our objective. ... I'd do it again in a minute."
Blackstone's formulation
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:24 am

I don't know if it's legally defensible, but my opinion is that a new crime occurs each day that the wrongly convicted stays in prison. The clock on the statute of limitations shouldn't start until the day of exoneration.
That theory isn't unreasonable, and is in line with the rationale of the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act that states that the 180-day statute of limitations for filing an equal-pay lawsuit regarding pay discrimination resets with each new paycheck affected by that discriminatory action. (Side comment: compare that as the first bill signed by Obama with Trump's efforts to date). But other statutes of limitations are different. Interestingly, the article didn't say the statute of limitations had been reached, only that "too much time" had gone by. In any case, he may be able to sue the city as a civil matter, and in the meantime he'll hopefully be able to live off the $50,000 per year of incarceration ($1,250,000) he's eligible for, assuming they don't shaft him out of it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:28 am
... Interestingly, the article didn't say the statute of limitations had been reached, only that "too much time" had gone by....
It's just my assumption. Besides murder, are any statutes of limitations 25 years or longer? If it's just laziness and defeatism on the part of the prosecutors, that's even worse. At the least, I'd like to see the liars' names outed.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

In Michigan, for felonies, murder: none; kidnapping, extortion, assault with intent or conspiracy to murder: 10 yrs.; others: 6 yrs. No specific mention of perjury, railroading or prosecution for being black, so it looks like the cops are safe. Probably the city is safe from civil suit now, also, unless they could manage to count each appeal and each request for review to be a new incident of willfully keeping an innocent person jailed. Long shot. I'd probably focus on getting my 1.25 mill and living the rest of my life.