The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ombudsman
Ensign

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Ombudsman »

Bad cops are everywhere. Remember the Knapp Commission followed by the Mollen Commission? How about the Rampart scandal? In Chicago you can hardly tell the good guys from the bad guys.
Don't get me started on all the small towns in the South with corrupt sheriff's and police captains.
Wing nuts. Not just for breakfast anymore.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Ombudsman wrote: In Chicago you can hardly tell the good guys from the bad guys.
Obama is a good example.
Don't get me started on all the small towns in the South with corrupt sheriff's and police captains.
I'm certain you're familiar with every one of them? Damn, you get around.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Is there a reason you took that so personally?

Ombudsman
Ensign

Then he knows police corruption better than anyone.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Given that there was apparently no personal injury or significant property damage other than the driver's car, I'd probably not use the term "corruption." Other terms do come to mind, however, like "poor judgement" "idiot" and "what the eff could you (the chief) possibly be thinking?|"

Ombudsman
Ensign

A former police officer who served in both Mauldin and Simpsonville has been arrested on charges connected to a murder case from about 20 years, according Greenville County authorities.

George Ralph Bobo was arrested Tuesday and charged with misconduct in office and obstruction of justice. It was not immediately clear what case the charges are related to, but authorities said it involved a homicide that took place two decades ago when Bobo was a Simpsonville police officer.

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/gr ... z2OfIrIeKE

Ombudsman
Ensign

The former police chief of Westminster is charged with embezzlement, forgery and misconduct in office, according to a release from the State Law Enforcement Division.

Johnny Scott Bannister, 45, is accused of stealing more than $100,000 in funds belonging to the city between January 2009 and July 2012, according to the arrest warrants. He is also accused of forging a check in someone else's name for $1,400.

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/oc ... z2OfJAzWF4

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Ombudsman wrote: In Chicago you can hardly tell the good guys from the bad guys.
Obama is a good example.
I'm certain you're familiar with every one of them? Damn, you get around.
Al Capone is an example of a bad guy from Chicago. When he moved to Florida, he was still a bad guy from Chicago.

I don't get around much at all; mostly just go to work, Ingle's, and home. But let's review the illustrious list of honorable mentions that come to mind.....little Bobby Medford, former Buncombe County sheriff, currently in prison and has been there several years now for bribery or something like it.......the tall, lanky lunatic former Henderson County sheriff Davis who resigned, feigned mental illness, and now lies low with his guns and his bible.....the fearsome former Polk County sheriff Abril, who continues to break the law every chance he gets...some Major with Jackson County sheriff office whose estranged wife filed a restraining order on him alleging he threatened to kill her while relaxing at home with liquor and muscle relaxers.....and there's been a couple of NC Highway Patrol troopers canned for drunk driving in the past three years or so. Also, the case of the Asheville police chief's son, who wrecked his dads car, told his dad someone else was driving (never mind the two witnesses from the immediate area of the accident site, who both stated they saw only one person get out of the vehicle), then leaves the scene....this kid will make a fine cop one day. And those are just the ones we know about. I've studied this situation and have come to the conclusion that some law enforcement officers are law enforcement officers only because they cannot keep from breaking the law. Thanks.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Another bumpkin sheriff in hot water.
A Republican sheriff in Massachusetts is defending a joke he told at a St. Patrick's Day breakfast in which Abraham Lincoln visits President Barack Obama in a dream and suggests he go to the theater.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/2 ... 14997.html

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

So cops aren't human and subject to same faults and failures of the rest of the populace?

Same with 'religious' leaders too.

Does anyone here know of anyone who is without some sort of fault or blemish and is absolutely perfect?
(and I don't mean because you don't have a rap sheet)

Ombudsman
Ensign

Leo Lyons wrote:So cops aren't human and subject to same faults and failures of the rest of the populace?

Does anyone here know of anyone who is without some sort of fault or blemish and is absolutely perfect?
Wow you take this stuff personally. When sheriffs all over the country are refusing to enforce laws simply because they don't like Obama, we need to all keep in mind that being sheriff does not necessarily mean one is worthy of respect. It just means they got more votes than someone else, and some were even elected to office without challenge.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Leo Lyons wrote:So cops aren't human and subject to same faults and failures of the rest of the populace?

They are held to a higher standard, and should be. They don't have to like it. Nor do you.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unless they've changed the law in the past two or three years, you don't have to be a "certified" law enforcement officer to be a sheriff in North Carolina. The pervasiveness of shameful local county sheriffs in this county as well as in the bordering counties is what is remarkable, and its history goes back ten years or so. I think a lot of the root cause of this type of behavior lies in the too good to resist temptation to engage in petty abuses of authority. As an example, how many times have you seen a marked or unmarked law enforcement vehicle obeying the traffic laws? The only time I ever see this is when a NC highway trooper moseys along in the fast lane on the interstate wanting someone to pass him. Once an officer engages in any of this petty abuse of authority, it's generally a downhill run for that officer until he gets caught. I salute the former Asheville police chief Hogan for taking responsibility and resigning over the evidence room fiasco that is only now being put to rest. That was honorable. The current Asheville chiefs handling of his sons recent trouble is less so. For now I give chief Anderson the benefit of the doubt, and to see if he goes further off the diet.......we'll wait.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

This could have come about due to the Chris Abril fiasco in Polk County a couple of years ago. I don't care enough to research it, but I think he was a pseudo felon or semi felon due to some twenty year old conviction on child molestation charges. That was hanging over him and being swung at him during his election effort. Maybe they should have asked about his birth certificate instead.....

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede wrote:I think it was because of some other newbie to running that was a felon. He did not win but the Leg. thought it demeaned the job that he was allowed to try.
Yes, I think you're right; seems like I remember reading an article quite some time ago about this; I forget exactly what county he was from, but the fact that he was a convicted felon raised a big fuss about it and then evidently the statute was changed to exclude felons from being eligible to run for sheriff. Maybe the guy just had a fine sense of irony.....

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:Unless they've changed the law in the past two or three years, you don't have to be a "certified" law enforcement officer to be a sheriff in North Carolina...
I think it was just recently that we barred felons from running for sheriff here. Now, they have to wait until after getting elected.
2010, by Constitutional amendment. Interesting thing, though, that limitation does not apply to members of the Legislature, nor to judges. Yes, a judge has to have a law license, but it can be restored after a felony conviction and the felon judge is on his way. Also, if a candidate is elected sheriff, he has to turn in his law license if he has one. So to summarize, a legislator can be a felon, a lawyer can be a felon, a judge can be a felon, but a sheriff not only can't be a felon, he can't be a lawyer. That ought to provide some humour for somebody - go for it.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Vrede wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:Unless they've changed the law in the past two or three years, you don't have to be a "certified" law enforcement officer to be a sheriff in North Carolina...
I think it was just recently that we barred felons from running for sheriff here. Now, they have to wait until after getting elected.
2010, by Constitutional amendment. Interesting thing, though, that limitation does not apply to members of the Legislature, nor to judges. Yes, a judge has to have a law license, but it can be restored after a felony conviction and the felon judge is on his way. Also, if a candidate is elected sheriff, he has to turn in his law license if he has one. So to summarize, a legislator can be a felon, a lawyer can be a felon, a judge can be a felon, but a sheriff not only can't be a felon, he can't be a lawyer. That ought to provide some humour for somebody - go for it.
How quaint; I think that state legislators also cannot be pulled over on the highway for speeding if they're actually heading to a legislative session in Raleigh. I guess that's ok, but I'm still holding out for diplomatic license plates; it's better than being sheriff.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote: How quaint; I think that state legislators also cannot be pulled over on the highway for speeding if they're actually heading to a legislative session in Raleigh. I guess that's ok, but I'm still holding out for diplomatic license plates; it's better than being sheriff.
I don't know about that, but a legislator in Florida (where else?) got a trooper fired for giving him a break on a speeding ticket...
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/27/3 ... tting.html

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I saw that story just the other day and thought the officer was wrongly dismissed. I've never been a cop but always thought they held pretty wide discretion with regard to citing someone or letting them go. I guess I will go ahead and say that I speak from personal experience in this regard.....when I was about 18 or 19, all of us kids would hang out at the "teen center" in my old hometown. This is the location where the "teens" would congregate to drink, smoke, etc.....Well, one summer night I had myself a cold beer when the local city cops drove by and saw me with it. Two cops in the car; they called me over and admonished me about drinking the beer and told me to take it to the dumpster and throw it in there. Well, on my way to the dumpster I decided to have another sip from the beer (you know when your mouth be gettin' dry, you're pretty high) and that's when discretion went out the window, as I was arrested and charged with having an open container. It's funny now, but at the time it was a mild disaster. Nowadays I only drink inside or in my yard, as discretion is the better part of valor. ok

O Really
Admiral

Maybe you could offer lessons in discretion to this guy... http://stcharles.patch.com/articles/man ... police-say